- List of current heads of state and government
This is a list of current heads of state and government, showing heads of state and heads of government where different, mainly in parliamentary systems; often a leader is both in presidential systems. Some states have semi-presidential systems where the head of government role is fulfilled by both the listed head of government and the head of state.
The list includes the names of the recently elected or appointed heads of state who will take office on an appointed date.
States recognised by the United Nations
States recognised by at least one United Nations member
State Head of state Head of government Abkhazia President Alexander Ankvab Prime Minister Leonid Lakerbaia Kosovo President Atifete Jahjaga Prime Minister Hashim Thaçi Northern Cyprus President Derviş Eroğlu Prime Minister İrsen Küçük Palestine (disputed) President either:
Mahmoud Abbas (West Bank) or
Aziz Duwaik (Gaza Strip)
(disputed) Prime Minister either:
Salam Fayyad (West Bank) or
Ismail Haniyeh (Gaza Strip)
China, Republic of (Taiwan) President Ma Ying-jeou Premier Wu Den-yih Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic President Mohamed Abdelaziz Prime Minister Abdelkader Taleb Omar South Ossetia President Eduard Kokoity Prime Minister Vadim Brovtsev
States not recognised by any United Nations members
This list encompasses the leaders of geo-political entities that lack significant international recognition. The degree of control these entities exert over their claimed territories may vary.
State Head of state Head of government Nagorno-Karabakh President Bako Sahakyan Prime Minister Arayik Harutyunyan SomalilandPresident Ahmed Mahamoud Silanyo Transnistria
- List of heads of state by diplomatic precedence
- List of current foreign ministers
- List of current presidents of assembly
- List of current Vice Presidents
- List of current dependent territory leaders
- List of elected or appointed female heads of government
- List of elected or appointed female heads of state
- Lists of office-holders
- List of current state leaders by date of assumption of office
- List of current heads of government by time in office
- List of state leaders by year
- List of state leaders in 2011
- Lists of state leaders
- List of current Permanent Representatives to the United Nations
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p The Royal Household. "Commonwealth members". Queen's Printer. http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCommonwealth/Commonwealthmembers/MembersoftheCommonwealth.aspx. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p Queen Elizabeth II is separately and equally monarch of 16 sovereign countries sometimes known collectively as the Commonwealth realms. In each of these countries, with the exception of the United Kingdom (where she predominately resides) she is represented by a governor-general (unhyphenated in Canada as governor general) at national level. In some of these countries, opinion differs as to whether the Queen or governor-general should be designated as head of state; there is no questioning of the Queen's position as sovereign, above the governors-general, however.
- ^ Williams, George (31 January 2008). "Speculation on Queen before any choice needs to be made". Herald Sun. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion-old/governor-general-is-still-boss/story-e6frfifo-1111115436569. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- ^ The three-member presidency is the head of state collectively.
- ^ The Preface to the Constitution of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea states, "The DPRK and the entire Korean people will uphold the great leader Comrade Kim Il-sung as the eternal President of the Republic, defend and carry forward his ideas and exploits and complete the Juche revolution under the leadership of the Workers' Party of Korea." Kim Il Sung died in 1994.
- ^ The seven member Swiss Federal Council is the collective Head of State and the government of the Swiss Confederation. Within the Council, the President of the Swiss Confederation serves solely in a primus inter pares capacity for one year.
- ^ Abbas's presidency expired on 9 January 2009 but he unilaterally extended his term for another year. Haniyeh, as the Speaker of the House, would succeed Abbas were he to have died or been expelled from office. The two major political parties in Palestine, Fatah and Hamas disagree about who the legitimate President currently is.
- ^ As part of the Fatah-Hamas conflict, essentially a civil war, Abbas dismissed Haniyeh and chose Fayyed as PM without parliamentary approval. The two major political parties in Palestine, Fatah and Hamas disagree about who the legitimate Prime Minister currently is.
- ^ On November 12, 2006 the Salvation Union of South Ossetia, opposing the leadership of Eduard Kokoity, held an alternative presidential election, in which former South Ossetian Prime Minister Dmitry Sanakoyev was chosen as the president of the alternative government of South Ossetia.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of current heads of state and government of Ibero-America — This is a list of current heads of state and government of the Ibero American countries, including Portugal, Andorra and Spain in Europe and all the Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries in Latin America.These countries are integrated to the… … Wikipedia
List of current state leaders by date of assumption of office — This is a list of current state leaders, showing Heads of State and Heads of Government where different, ordered by the date they assumed the office. States where Head of State differs from Head of Government are mainly parliamentary systems.… … Wikipedia
List of heads of state by diplomatic precedence — International protocol holds that a Head of State takes precedence over all other officials, and that Heads of State rank in the order that they took office. The following list contains the Heads of State for all United Nations member states and… … Wikipedia
List of current foreign ministers — This is a list of current foreign ministers of the 193 United Nations member states and the Holy See (Vatican City). Foreign ministers of unrecognized countries (e.g. Kosovo, Taiwan, Palestine, Western Sahara), contested territories, autonomous… … Wikipedia
List of heads of state of Greece — This is a list of the heads of state of Greece, from the foundation of the modern nation state until the present.First Hellenic Republic/Governorate (1828 1833)After the death of Alexander the succession proved problematic, as the Venizelist… … Wikipedia
List of heads of state of Cabinda — List of Heads of State of Cabinda= A short lived secessionist regime in the Cabinda enclave of Angola.(Dates in italics indicate de facto continuation of office)Note: The current president of the Republic of Cabinda in Exile (Paris, London) is… … Wikipedia
List of heads of state of the Soviet Union — Heads of state of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics Former political post Coat of arms Predecessor … Wikipedia
List of heads of state of Yugoslavia — This is a List of Heads of State of Yugoslavia from the creation of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes in 1918 until the end of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in 1992. The Kingdom of Yugoslavia was a monarchy ruled by the… … Wikipedia
List of heads of state of Argentina — List of Heads of State (Presidents, Directors and Dictators, etc.) of Argentina.(Dates in italics indicate de facto continuation of office; names in bold indicates a nickname (etc.) by which the individual is commonly known)After… … Wikipedia
List of current members of the British Privy Council — This article is part of the series: Historical lists of Privy Counsellors List of Privy Counsellors (1679–1714) List of Privy Counsellors (1714–1820) List of Privy Counsellors (1820–1837) List of Privy Counsellors (1837–1901) List of Privy… … Wikipedia