- North London
North London — Boundary Commission area — Coordinates: Coordinates: Sovereign state United Kingdom Country England Region London Comprises City of London and the London boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Barnet, Brent, Camden, Ealing, Enfield, Hackney, Hammersmith and Fulham, Haringey, Harrow, Havering, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, and Westminster. Area – Total 357.6 sq mi (926.22 km2) Population – Total 4,721,700 – Density 13,203.3/sq mi (5,097.8/km2)
North London is the northern part of London, England. It is an imprecise description and the area it covers is defined differently for a range of purposes. Common to these definitions is that it includes districts located north of the River Thames and is used in comparison with South London.
The River Thames divides Greater London into two parts. The northern part includes most of the historic central areas including the City, the East End and the West End; and the majority of the London Underground network.
This area is made up of the City of London and the London boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Barnet, Brent, Camden, Ealing, Enfield, Hackney, Hammersmith and Fulham, Haringey, Harrow, Havering, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, and Westminster. This definition is used by the Boundary Commission for England. The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames includes sections on both sides of the River Thames. The boundary commission class the entire district as part of South London.
In 1965 Camden, Hackney, Hammersmith and Fulham, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Tower Hamlets and Westminster were designated Inner London boroughs and Barking and Dagenham, Barnet, Brent, Ealing, Enfield, Haringey, Harrow, Havering, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest were designated Outer London boroughs.
For the purposes of the London Plan, there has been a North London sub-region in operation since 2004, originally consisting of Barnet, Enfield, Haringey and Waltham Forest. In 2001 this area had a population of 1,042,000. This definition is used by organisations such as Connexions. In 2008 it was amended and it now consists of Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Hackney, Haringey, Islington and Westminster.
List of boroughs
This list includes all boroughs included in the Boundary Commission area.
London borough Postcode areas 2008 sub-region London Assembly Barking and Dagenham IG, RM North East City and East Barnet EN, HA, N, NW North Barnet and Camden Brent HA, NW, W West Brent and Harrow Camden EC, WC, N, NW North Barnet and Camden Ealing UB, W West Ealing and Hillingdon Enfield EN, N, E North Enfield and Haringey Hackney E, EC, N North North East Hammersmith Fulham SW, W West West Central Haringey N North Enfield and Haringey Harrow HA West Brent and Harrow Havering RM North East Havering and Redbridge Hillingdon TW, UB West Ealing and Hillingdon Hounslow TW, W West South West Islington EC, WC, N North North East Kensington and Chelsea NW, SW West West Central Newham E, IG North East City and East Redbridge E, IG North East Havering and Redbridge Waltham Forest E, IG North East North East Westminster NW, SW, W West West Central
North London, like other parts of London and the UK in general, a temperate maritime climate according to the Koppen climate classification system. Four Met Office weather stations currently collect climate data for London North of the river; Hampstead, Heathrow, Northolt and St James Park.. Long term climate observations dating back to 1910 are available for Hampstead, which also the most elevated Weather Station in the London area, at 137m. This both hill top and urban position means severe frosts are rare. As one might expect, temperatures increase towards the Thames, firstly because of the urban warming effect of the surrounding area, but secondly due to altitude decreasing towards the river, meaning some of the hillier the northern margins of North London are often a degree or so cooler than those areas adjacent to the Thames. Occasionally snow can be seen to lie towards the Chilterns while central London is snow free.
Typically the warmest day of the year at Hampstead will average 29.3 °C (84.7 °F) with around 14 days in total achieving a value of 25.1 °C (77.2 °F) or higher. The average coldest night should fall to −5.6 °C (21.9 °F). On average 35.8 nights will report an air frost, some 119 days of the year will register at least 1mm of precipitation, and on 7.4 days a cover of snow will be observed. All annual averages refer to the observation period 1971-2000.
Climate data for Hampstead 137m asl 1971-2000, Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year Record high °C (°F) 15.7
Average high °C (°F) 6.8
13.8 Average low °C (°F) 1.6
Record low °C (°F) −10.8
Precipitation mm (inches) 64.72
Source: Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute
- ^ Boundary Commission for England - North London Boroughs
- ^ Boundary Commission for England - South London Boroughs
- ^ Office of Public Sector Information - London Government Act 1963 (c.33) (as amended)
- ^ Greater London Authority, The London Plan: Sub-Regional Development Framework - North London
- ^ Greater London Authority, The London Plan: The Sub Regions
- ^ Connexions - North London
- ^ London Assembly - London Assembly Constituency Information. Retrieved on 22 February 2008.
- ^ "Station Locations". MetOffice. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/networks/images/map6.gif.
- ^ "71-00 Mean Warmest Day". KNMI. http://eca.knmi.nl/utils/calcdetail.php?seasonid=0&periodid=1971-2000&indexid=TXx&stationid=1859.
- ^ "71-00 >25c days". KNMI. http://eca.knmi.nl/utils/calcdetail.php?seasonid=0&periodid=1971-2000&indexid=SU&stationid=1859.
- ^ "71-00 Mean Coldest night". KNMI. http://eca.knmi.nl/utils/calcdetail.php?seasonid=0&periodid=1971-2000&indexid=TNn&stationid=1859.
- ^ "71-00 Mean Frost Incidence". KNMI. http://eca.knmi.nl/utils/calcdetail.php?seasonid=0&periodid=1971-2000&indexid=FD&stationid=1859.
- ^ "71-00 Mean Wetdays Incidence". KNMI. http://eca.knmi.nl/utils/calcdetail.php?seasonid=0&periodid=1971-2000&indexid=RR1&stationid=1859.
- ^ "Raw Snow Data". weather-uk. http://www.weather-uk.com/hampstead/data.htm.
- ^ "Hampstead 1971-2000". Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute. http://eca.knmi.nl/utils/mapserver/climatology.php?indexcat=**&indexid=RR&periodidselect=1971-2000&seasonid=0&scalelogidselect=no&minx=-473809.523810&miny=-4739761.904762&maxx=392857.142857&maxy=-4089761.904762&MapSize=560%2C420&imagewidth=560&imageheight=420&mainmap.x=299&mainmap.y=238&CMD=QUERY_POINT&CMD=QUERY_POINT#bottom. Retrieved 23 sep 2011.
- Time Out editors (1 May 2009). "North London v South London - The debate". Time Out London. http://www.timeout.com/london/features/109/North_versus_South.html.
- Alan Rutter and Peter Watts (13 December 2005). "North London v South London - The debate". Time Out London. http://www.timeout.com/london/features/7631/north_london_v_south_london/2.html?cpage=4&ccat=5.
Sub-regions of London Official London Plan Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
North London — 51° 22′ N 0° 04′ E / 51.36, 0.06 North London est une subdivision de la région anglaise du … Wikipédia en Français
North London Railway — North from Liverpool Street along the western boundary of Bishopsgate Ward Without to the northern boundary. Line shown first in O.S. 1880. The formation of the line and of Broad Street Station involved the demolition of many streets,… … Dictionary of London
North London Line — A Class 378 Capitalstar at Canonbury in June 2010 Overview Type Commuter rail, Suburban rail, Freight … Wikipedia
North London Railway — Locale North London Dates of operation 1850–1922 Successor London, Midland and Scottish Railway Track gauge 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) ( … Wikipedia
North London Collegiate School — is an independent day school for girls founded in 1850 in Camden Town, and now in the London Borough of Harrow. The Good Schools Guide called the school an Academically stunning outer London school in a glorious setting which, in 2003,… … Wikipedia
North London Lions — Full name North London Lions Australian Football Club Nickname(s) The Lions Strip Black red jumper with gold trim and black gold lion logo. Black shorts. Black socks with red edging. Founded 1990 Sport Australian rules football … Wikipedia
North (London sub region) — North London London Plan sub region … Wikipedia
North London Central Mosque — Location Finsbury Park, London United Kingdom … Wikipedia
North london derby — Le North London Derby est le nom donné au derby entre les clubs de football du nord de Londres, et Arsenal et Tottenham Hotspur. Il se rapporte spécifiquement aux différents matches entre les deux équipes, mais peut également être employé pour… … Wikipédia en Français
North London Central Mosque — Die North London Central Mosque befindet sich im Londoner Stadtteil Finsbury Park, wurde in den 1990er Jahren errichtet und kann bis zu 1.800 Gläubige aufnehmen. Bis zum Jahr 2005 war sie als Finsbury Park Moschee bekannt. Die Leitung der Moschee … Deutsch Wikipedia