- Lighting technician
Lighting technicians are involved with setting up and controlling
lightingequipment for entertainment venues ( filmor theater). Toward this end, they work under the direction of the cinematographerand gaffer (in film) or the lighting designerand master electrician(in theater). They are responsible for the movement and set up of various pieces of lighting equipment for visual effects.
Theatrical lighting technician
In a theatrical setting a lighting technician will be responsible for building the lighting rig in the theater space as per the design drawings of the lighting designer.
A common hierarchy in a theatre is as follows:
* Head (Master) Electrician – In charge of overseeing the lighting crew, interpreting the Lighting Designer’s drawings, and ultimately responsible for the building and maintenance of the lighting rig.
* Assistant Electrician – Assistant to the head electrician, usually in charge of maintaining paperwork, and keeping up with changes that are made to the rig during the process of technical rehearsals.
* Electrician – labor used by the master electrician to construct the rig. Duties of an electrician include: hanging lights in the proper place, Running power and necessary data to all lights, doing light rigging, and installing the necessary color and image patterns into the lights. During a day of focus the electricians on call will aim all lights under the direction of the lighting designer.
Film lighting technician
Also called Set Lighting Technician, Lamp Operator, Electrician, Electric, Spark or simply a Juicer. The Lighting Technicians on a
motion pictureset handle all of the electrical needs as well as place and focus all of the lighting under the direction of the Gaffer (Chief Lighting Technician).
The lighting technician's duties include:
* Placement and focus of lighting fixtures for any given scene to be photographed.
* Distribution of power and work lights around the set and support areas (including
actor's trailers, portable production offices, catering, etc.).
* Management of
electricityto all support services and departments on the set.
The film set electrical department hierarchy is as follows:
* Gaffer (Chief Lighting Technician) is the head of the electricians. The Gaffer works directly under the Director of Photography (
Cinematographer) to make decisions on the creative lighting on the set (or on location), and is responsible for executing those decisions.
Best BoyElectrician (Assistant Chief Lighting Technician, Second Electric) works under the Gaffer as the foreman of the electrical staff. The Best Boy is, generally, the liaison between the set and the equipment truck, and between the electricians and other film crewdepartments. The Best Boy manages the equipment and manpower, organizes rentals and returns of special lighting gear needed for specific scenes, and sometimes repairs equipment. In the absence of a Generator Operator, the Best Boy manages the main power source(s) for the set, balancing power loads and maintaining electrical safety.
* Set Lighting Technician (Lamp Operator, Electrician, Third Electric) handles the physical lamps and the stands or other hardware they are mounted to. Stands placed on uneven ground and hardware that is mounted to walls or hanging in any special area are often under the control of the Grip department. The electrician lays cable, runs extensions, wires fixtures, sets fixtures and focuses them under the direction of the Gaffer.
tage Lighting Technician
Also called a sparky, lighting tech, lighting operator, lampy or a noodle tech. The Stage Lighting Technicians set up lighting and make effects for live performances and concerts.
* Setting up and focusing lights
* Patching and or wiring up lights to dimmers or control consoles
* Changing the state of lights during a performance or concert
* Packing down lights after the show
The Stage lighting department hirearchy is as follows:
* Chief lighting Technician. works with the production manager to see what effects need to be created
* Lighting Programmer. Works with the chief lighting technician to program the lights to create effects and sequences before the show
* Lighting Technician.
* Stage lighting assistant. Works with the lighting technician to setup and patch or wire up lighting, also lugs gear.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
lighting technician — apšvietimo technikas statusas T sritis profesijos apibrėžtis Technikas, kuris specializuojasi teatrų ir koncertų salių, jų scenų, masinių renginių pakylų, įstaigų darbo vietų ir gyvenamųjų patalpų apšvietimo srityje. Jis taip pat turi išmanyti… … Inžinieriai, technikai ir technologai. Trikalbis aiškinamasis žodynėlis
technician — noun ADJECTIVE ▪ chief, senior ▪ experienced, skilled ▪ qualified, trained ▪ trainee (BrE) … Collocations dictionary
Gobo (lighting) — For other uses, see Gobo (disambiguation). A gobo in a gobo holder, which goes in a stage lighting instrument. The discolored portion is oxidation of the stainless steel caused by the high temperature of the lamp, but the gobo is still usable. A… … Wikipedia
Intelligent lighting — A Martin MAC 550 intelligent light Intelligent lighting refers to stage lighting that has automated or mechanical abilities beyond those of traditional, stationary illumination. Although the most advanced intelligent lights can produce… … Wikipedia
Fade (lighting) — In stage lighting, a fade is a gradual increase or decrease of the intensity of light projected onto the stage. The term fade in refers to gradually changing the lighting level from complete darkness to a predetermined lighting level. A fade out… … Wikipedia
Theatrical technician — A theatrical technician, tech, techie, theatre tech or theatre technician is a person who operates technical equipment and systems in Performing arts and Entertainment industry. Typical jobsA theatrical technician s jobs may include: * set… … Wikipedia
Stage lighting — Modern stage lighting is a flexible tool in the production of theatre, dance, opera and other performance arts. Several different types of stage lighting instruments are used in the pursuit of the various principles or goals of lighting.… … Wikipedia
Stage lighting instrument — Stage lighting instruments are used in stage lighting to illuminate theatrical productions, rock concerts and other performances taking place in live performance venues. They are also used to light television studios and sound stages.Terminology… … Wikipedia
Film crew — For the comedic team, see The Film Crew. A film crew is a group of people hired by a production company for the purpose of producing a film or motion picture. Crew are distinguished from cast , the actors who appear in front of the camera or… … Wikipedia
The Velvet Rope Tour — infobox concert tour concert tour name = The Velvet Rope Tour 1998 artist = Janet Jackson start date = April 16 1998 end date = January 30 1999 number of legs = 3 number of shows = 120 in total last tour = janet. Tour (1993/1995) this tour = The… … Wikipedia