Hydroacoustics is a general term for the study and application of sound in water. The term comes from Greek υδρο, water, and ακουστική, acoustics.
Hydroacoustics, utilizing SONARtechnology, is most commonly used for detection, assessment, and monitoring of underwater physical and biological characteristics.
Hydroacoustics can be utilized to detect the depth of a water body (
bathymetry), as well as the presence or absence, abundance, distribution, size, and behavior of underwater plants and animals. Hydroacoustic sensing involves " passive acoustics" (listening for sounds) or " active acoustics" making a sound and listening for the echo, hence the common name for the device, echo sounderor echosounder.
Fisheries Acoustics Acoustic Doppler Current Profilerfor water speed measurement Acoustic Camera Passive Acoustic Monitoring
* [http://www.htisonar.com/Pubs/HydroacousticEscapement.pdf Summary of the use of hydroacoustics for quantifying the escapement of adult salmonids (Oncorhynchus and Salmo spp.) in rivers.] Ransom, B.H., S.V. Johnston, and T.W. Steig. 1998. Presented at International Symposium and Workshop on Management and Ecology of River Fisheries, University of Hull, England, 30 March-3 April 1998
* [http://www.htisonar.com/Pubs/PlanktonAssesment.pdf Multi-frequency acoustic assessment of fisheries and plankton resources.] Torkelson,T.C., T.C. Austin, and P.H. Weibe. 1998. Presented at the 135th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America and the 16th Meeting of the International Congress of Acoustics, Seattle, Washington.
* [http://afs.allenpress.com/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1577%2FT05-203.1 Evaluation of Methods to Estimate Lake Herring Spawner Abundance in Lake Superior]
* [http://afs.allenpress.com/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1577%2FM05-040.1 Estimating Sockeye Salmon Smolt Flux and Abundance with Side-Looking Sonar]
* [http://www.gma.org/herring/research/acoustics/default.asp Herring Research: Using Acoustics to Count Fish.]
* [http://biosonicsinc.com/resources/case_studies_applications.cfm Hydroacoustic Applications in Lake, River and Marine environments for study of plankton, fish, vegetation, substrate or seabed classification, and bathymetry.]
* [http://www.stateofthesalmon.org/SFPH_p4.pdf Hydroacoustics: Rivers] (in: Salmonid Field Protocols Handbook: Chapter 4)
* [http://www.stateofthesalmon.org/SFPH_p5.pdf Hydroacoustics: Lakes and Reservoirs] (in: Salmonid Field Protocols Handbook: Chapter 5)
* PAMGUARD: An Open-Source Software Community Developing Marine Mammal Acoustic Detection and Localisation Software to Benefit the Marine Environment; http://www.pamguard.org/home.shtml
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
hydroacoustics — hidroakustika statusas T sritis Standartizacija ir metrologija apibrėžtis Mokslas, tiriantis akustinių bangų sklidimą vandenyje ir su tuo susijusius reiškinius. atitikmenys: angl. hydroacoustics vok. Hydroakustik, f; Unterwasserakustik, f rus.… … Penkiakalbis aiškinamasis metrologijos terminų žodynas
hydroacoustics — hidroakustika statusas T sritis fizika atitikmenys: angl. hydroacoustics; underwater acoustics vok. Hydroakustik, f; Unterwasserakustik, f rus. гидроакустика, f; подводная акустика, f pranc. acoustique sous marine, f; hydroacoustique, f … Fizikos terminų žodynas
hydroacoustics — noun Any of various sciences and technologies dealing with sound transmitted through water … Wiktionary
hydroacoustics — n. study of how sound travels in water … English contemporary dictionary
Sonar — This article is about underwater sound propagation. For atmospheric sounding, see SODAR. For other uses, see Sonar (disambiguation) … Wikipedia
SOFAR channel — The SOFAR channel (short for Sound Frequency and Ranging channel), or deep sound channel (DSC), is a horizontal layer of water in the ocean at which depth the speed of sound is minimal. The SOFAR channel acts as a waveguide for sound, and low… … Wikipedia
Passive acoustics — is the action of listening for sounds, often at specific frequencies or for purposes of specific analyses. As applied to underwater acoustics, also termed hydroacoustics or SONAR, passive acoustics can be used to listen for underwater explosions … Wikipedia
Ocean acoustic tomography — The western North Atlantic showing the locations of two experiments that employed ocean acoustic tomography. AMODE, the Acoustic Mid Ocean Dynamics Experiment (1990 1), was designed to study ocean dynamics in an area away from the Gulf Stream,… … Wikipedia
Underground nuclear testing — Preparation for an underground nuclear test at the Nevada Test Site in the 1990s. Nuclear weapons … Wikipedia
Kongsberg Maritime — Infobox Company company name = Kongsberg Maritime company company type = Public foundation = 1814 location = Kongsberg, Norway key people = Torfinn Kildal (CEO) area served = Global industry = Marine systems products = revenue = profit NOK 4,850… … Wikipedia