- Glasgow smile
A Glasgow smile (also known as a Glasgow grin, Anna grin, Chelsea grin or Chelsea smile) refers to the wound that results from slashing a person's face from the edges of the mouth to the ears. The cut, which is usually made with a utility knife or a piece of broken glass, leaves a scar that makes the victim appear to be smiling broadly. Sometimes the attacker will stab or kick the victim after cutting them to make them scream, so that the wound is opened further. If cut deeply enough, the victim may bleed to death. The practice is said to have originated in Glasgow, Scotland, but also became popular with Dutch street gangs as an intimidation tactic (especially in Chelsea, London, where it is known as a "Chelsea grin")/chelsea smile.
- Black Dahlia
- Kuchisake-onna ("Slit-Mouth Woman")
- Joker (The Dark Knight)
- Colombian necktie
- The Man Who Laughs
- Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)
- ^ "Surgeon Says Hospitals Treat a Knife Victim Every Six Hours". The Daily Express. http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/68037/Surgeon-says-hospitals-treat-a-knife-victim-every-six-hours. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- ^ Harvey, Oliver (2009-10-16). "If the Booze Doesn't Get You, The Blade Will". The Sun (London). http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2683007/Suns-look-at-Broken-Britain-day-four-Glasgows-East-End.html. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- ^ Arlidge, John (1995-04-24). "City Slicker Glasgow". London: The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/city-slicker-glasgow-1616900.html. Retrieved 2009-11-20.
- ^ Peter Ward Booth, Barry L. Eppley, Rainer Schmelzeisen (2003), Maxillofacial trauma and esthetic facial reconstruction, p. 555, http://books.google.com/books?id=8tdpAAAAMAAJ
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Glasgow Smile — Als Glasgow Smile (engl. „Glasgow Lächeln“), auch bekannt als Chelsea Grin oder Chelsea Smile, wird die Narbe einer Foltermethode bezeichnet, die ihren Ursprung in der schottischen Stadt Glasgow haben und dort vor allem von rivalisierenden… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Glasgow smile — noun A facial scar received from being cut on the edge of the mouth, resembling an extended smile. Here they will become acquainted with the city’s endemic crime, random violence and such terms as “a Glasgow kiss” (a head butt) and “a Glasgow… … Wiktionary
Glasgow (disambiguation) — Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland. Glasgow may also refer to: * University of GlasgowPlaces;Scotland *Glasgow City **Greater Glasgow Metropolitan Area **Glasgow (Scottish Parliament electoral region), an electoral region in the Scottish… … Wikipedia
SMILE (magazine) — SMILE is an international magazine of multiple origins. Since 1984, an estimated 100 different issues of SMILE have been published by different people in different countries of the world.HistorySMILE was launched in February 1984 in London by… … Wikipedia
Glasgow Sunday — Infobox Album | Name = Glasgow Sunday Type = Album Artist = Jandek Released = April, 2005 Recorded = October 17, 2004 Length = 61:47 Label = Corwood Industries Producer = Jandek * Last album = When I Took That Train (2005) This album = Glasgow… … Wikipedia
Live in Glasgow — Infobox Album Name = Live In Glasgow Type = Live Artist = Paul Rodgers Released = 2007 Recorded = Glasgow, Scotland, October 13, 2006 Genre = Rock Length = Label = Eagle Records Producer = Reviews = * All Music Guide Rating|3.5|5… … Wikipedia
List of Sons of Anarchy characters — This is a list of characters from Sons of Anarchy. Sons of Anarchy is a drama on the American TV network FX; it focuses on the lives of an outlaw motorcycle club in Northern California. Contents 1 Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club 1.1 Active SAMCRO … Wikipedia
Cleft lip and palate — For other uses, see Cleft. Cleft lip and palate Classification and external resources … Wikipedia
Suicide Season — Studioalbum von Bring Me the Horizon Veröffentlichung 29. September 2008 Label Visible Noise Format … Deutsch Wikipedia
Folterkammer — Folter ist das gezielte Zufügen von psychischem oder physischem Leid (Gewalt, Qualen, Schmerz) an Menschen durch andere Menschen, meist als Mittel für einen zielgerichteten Zweck, beispielsweise um eine Aussage, ein Geständnis, einen Widerruf… … Deutsch Wikipedia