- Nam-gu, Busan
Korean name Hangul 남구 Hanja 南區 Revised Romanization Nam-gu McCune–Reischauer Nam-ku Statistics Area 25.91 km2 (10 sq mi) Population 229,563 Population density 11,582/km2 (29,997.2/sq mi) Administrative divisions 19 administrative dong
Nam-gu (literally southern district) is a gu, or district, in south central Busan, South Korea. Much of Nam-gu sticks out into the Sea of Japan (East Sea), forming a peninsula which separates Suyeong Bay from Busan Harbor. It has an area of 25.91 km². Nam-gu officially became a gu of Busan in 1975. In 1995 part of Nam-gu was divided to form Suyeong-gu.
Nam-gu is home to some 300,000 people, for a population density exceeding 11,000 per square kilometer. Less than 1,000 of its inhabitants are non-Korean.
The Busan Subway (line 2) passes through Nam-gu, where an interchange connects it to the highway leading to the Gwangan Bridge. Four subway stations along Busan Subway (line 2) are located Nam-gu, going from Kyungsung University · Pukyong National University Station to Jigegol Station.
Nam-gu contains a total of 7 islands, all uninhabited, with a total area of only 0.3 km². Among these are the Oryukdo islets which mark the entrance to Busan Harbor. The highest point of Nam-gu lies inland: the peak of Hwangnyeongsan, at 427 meters above sea level. Hwangnyeong-san also marks the point where Nam-gu's borders meet those of Yeonje-gu and Busanjin-gu.
Nam-gu is divided into 6 legal dong, which altogether comprise 19 administrative dong, as follows:
- Daeyeon-dong (6 administrative dong)
- Yongho-dong (4 administrative dong)
- Gamman-dong (2 administrative dong)
- Wooam-dong (2 administrative dong)
- Moonhyeon-dong (4 administrative dong)
A number of institutions of higher education, including 6 universities, are located in Nam-gu. It includes Pusan University of Foreign Studies, Kyungsung University, Tongmyong University, and Pukyong National University. It is also home to the UN Memorial Cemetery.
Universities with graduate schools
- Pusan University of Foreign Studies (PUFS)
- Pukyong National University (PKNU)
- Kyungsung University
- Tongmyong University
Other institutes of higher education
- ^ Nam-gu office population register, June 30, 2006. Nam-gu website (in korean)
- ^ Nam-gu statistical yearbook 2004, 토지와 기후 (Toji-wa Gihu) (Land and climate), table 3. Electronic version (HWP format)
- ^ Nam-gu statistical yearbook 2004, 인구 (In-gu) (Population). Electronic version (HWP format)
- ^ Nam-gu statistical yearbook 2004, 토지와 기후 (Toji-wa Gihu) (Land and climate), table 1. Electronic version (HWP format)
- Geography of South Korea
- Subdivisions of South Korea
- Nam-gu website (English)
Metropolitan city of Busan Districts CountyGijang
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.