- Ambrosia Software
Ambrosia Software Type Private Industry Software, video games Founded August 18, 1993 Headquarters Rochester, New York Key people Andrew Welch — President Products Shareware video games and utilities Website www.ambrosiasw.com
Ambrosia Software is a predominantly Macintosh software company located in Rochester, New York. Ambrosia produces utilities and games. Its products are distributed as shareware; demo versions can be downloaded and used for up to 30 days.
Ambrosia's best-selling program is the utility Snapz Pro X, according to a 2002 interview with company president Andrew Welch, although the company is better known for the production and the distribution of games. It was incorporated August 18, 1993, by its president, Andrew Welch, after he graduated from the Rochester Institute of Technology in 1992.
The first game produced by Ambrosia was Maelstrom, a remake of the Asteroids arcade game. Maelstrom won a number of software awards. This initial success led Ambrosia to release several more arcade-style games. These included Apeiron (a remake of Centipede), and Swoop (a remake of Galaxian).
The unofficial mascot of Ambrosia Software is Hector the Parrot.
Ambrosia Software's games, in order of release:
- Apeiron — later ported to Mac OS X
- Escape Velocity
- Bubble Trouble — later ported to Mac OS X
- Harry the Handsome Executive
- Mars Rising
- EV Override
- Ferazel's Wand
- Pillars of Garendall
- Deimos Rising
- Coldstone game engine
- Escape Velocity Nova
- Bubble Trouble X — Mac OS X port of original, with minor gameplay changes
- Uplink — Mac OS X port
- Apeiron X — Mac OS X port of the original, with enhanced graphics
- Darwinia — Mac OS X port
- El Ballo
- SketchFighter 4000 Alpha
- DEFCON — Mac OS X port
- pop-pop — Universal Binary release
- Uplink — Universal Binary release
- Aki — Universal Binary release
- Mondo Solitaire
- Aki — iPhone/iPod Touch release
- Aquaria — Mac OS X port
- Escape Velocity Nova — Universal Binary release
- Multiwinia — Mac OS X port
Ambrosia, in conjunction with DG Associates, has also released the Escape Velocity Nova Card Game.
Ambrosia Software's utilities, in order of release:
- Eclipse — Screen saver CDEV
- Big Cheese Key — FKey to mask screen image from boss.
- FlashWrite — Text editor Desk Accessory
- FlashWrite ][
- ColorSwitch — Menu bar item to change monitor color depth
- EasyEnvelopes — Envelope printing Desk accessory. Later a Mac OS X v10.4 and Mac OS X v10.5 Dashboard widget.
- To Do!
- ColorSwitch Pro
- Snapz Pro— Screen capture application
- iSeek — Desktop search application
- Snapz Pro X — Mac OS X-compatible version of original
- WireTap Pro — Audio recording utility
- Screen Cleaner Pro — April Fool's joke
- Dragster — File transfer application
- iToner — iPhone custom ringtone transfer utility
- WireTap Studio — Audio recording, editing and master storage; won a 2007 "Eddy Award" from Macworld
- WireTap Anywhere — professional virtual audio patchbay utility, enabling the recording of any Mac OS X application's audio output from within any Mac OS X audio application.
- Soundboard — Mac OS X Audio playback ("computerized cart machine")
One of Ambrosia's founding mantras was that shareware software should not be distributed as crippleware. The company's software was released on the honor system with only a short reminder that you had used the unregistered software for "x" amount of time, creating what is commonly called nagware. This policy has since been changed and the company today employs typical shareware piracy prevention measures. Their software products now fall under the category of crippleware. Matt Slot has written about the factors that played into the policy change.
- ^ "MacSlash Interview: Andrew Welch of Ambrosia". MacSlash (retrieved from the Internet Archive). 2002-01-23. Archived from the original on 2007-12-31. http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20071231193241/http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=02/01/23/1836201&mode=archive. Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- ^ "Home-grown Ambrosia feeds software niche", Michael Saffran. In RIT: The University Magazine, Vol. 10, #1
- ^ "Into the Maelstrom". The Mac Observer. 1999-12-08. http://www.macobserver.com/news/99/december/991208/maelstorm3code.html. Retrieved 2011-04-28.
Ambrosia Software GamesAki · Apeiron · Aquaria · Ares · Avara · Barrack · Bubble Trouble · Chiral · Cythera · Darwinia · DEFCON · Deimos Rising · The Adventures of El Ballo · Escape Velocity · Escape Velocity Override · Escape Velocity Nova · Ferazel's Wand · GooBall · Harry the Handsome Executive · Maelstrom · Mars Rising · Mondo Solitaire · Multiwinia ·Pillars of Garendall · pop-pop · Redline · SketchFighter 4000 Alpha · Slithereens · Swoop · Uplink Software
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ambrosia Software — Ambrosia Software, Inc. Rechtsform US Kapitalgesellschaft Gründung 18. August 1993 Sitz … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ambrosia (disambiguation) — Ambrosia is sometimes the food, sometimes the drink, of the gods of Greek mythology.Ambrosia may also refer to:In mythology: *Ambrosia, one of the Hyades of Greek mythology *Ambrosia (neuter plural), referring to certain festivals in honour of… … Wikipedia
Hector (Ambrosia Mascot) — Hector D. Byrd is an African Grey parrot who serves as the office mascot of Ambrosia Software, making cameo appearances in many of the company s games. Hector is female, although this was not known at the time she was named.… … Wikipedia
ATMOS Software — Productions Pty. Ltd. is an Australian computer game development company. ATMOS created the scenario for Ambrosia Software s Escape Velocity Nova . The name ATMOS comes from the word atmosphere. [cite web |… … Wikipedia
Comparison of screencasting software — A comparison of notable screencasting software programs, that are used to record activities on the computer screen, mouse movement, and often includes live audio for later playback. Screencasting is an asynchronous communication technology (not… … Wikipedia
Introversion Software — Introversion ist eine Gruppe der englischen Entwickler Chris Delay, Mark Morris und Thomas Arundel, die bis jetzt die PC Spiele Uplink, Darwinia und DefCon herausgebracht haben. Sie bezeichnen sich selbst als die letzten „Schlafzimmerentwickler“ … Deutsch Wikipedia
Coldstone game engine — Developer(s) Beenox Studios, Ambrosia Software Stable release 1.0.1 / August 6, 2002 Operating system Mac OS 8.1 to 10.1 Type … Wikipedia
Coldstone Game Engine — Игровой движок (Список) Разработчик Ambrosia Software Аппаратная платформа Mac Поддерживаемая ОС Mac OS от версии 8.1 до 10.1 Последняя версия 1.0.1 / 6 августа … Википедия
Escape Velocity (video game) — Escape Velocity Developer(s) Ambrosia Software Publisher(s) Amb … Wikipedia
Avara — Infobox VG| title = Avara developer = Ambrosia Software publisher = Ambrosia Software designer = Juri Munkki engine = released = September 17, 1996citeweb|url=http://www.ambrosiasw.com/Ambrosia Times/September 96/3.5APR.html|title=Ambrosia… … Wikipedia