- Manhattan Theatre Source
Off-Off Broadway Theatre Manhattan Theatre Source Address 177 MacDougal Street New York, NY 10011 Owner Fiona Jones, Ed McNamee, Daryl Boling, Amber Estes, Nancy Sirianni, Lanie Zipoy Current Production MACBETH Capacity 45-55 Seats Date Opened February 22, 2000
The Manhattan Theatre Source is an Off-Off-Broadway not for profit art service organization located in Manhattan near Washington Square Park. A café and art gallery occupy the lower level of "The Source", a 160 year old brick building, while the upper story contains a library and the theatre proper. It is the current home of Ground UP Productions, BridgeClub Theatre Company, Invisible City Theatre Company and the EstroGenius Festival.
The venue and its productions have generally been favorably received. Theatre reviewers Tyler Pray and Stephen Morgan-Mackay both considered the "intimate" setting to be positive, with Pray considering it "one of the most enjoyable small venues for theater in the Village" although it has also been described as "claustrophobic".
The Source's premiered Gregory Fletcher's Stairway to Heaven in 2004, which received the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival's National Ten-Minute Play Award In 2005, the Manhattan Theatre Source debuted Coronado, the first play by Dennis Lehane, author of Mystic River, to "packed houses" and a "sold-out run".
- ^ Pray, Tyler (15-21 Dec 2004). "Trying Lord Byron for Murder". The Village (The Villager) 74 (32). http://www.thevillager.com/villager_85/triynglordbyron.html. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- ^ Morgan-Mackay, Stephen (2 Jul 2004). "A Terminal Life". OffOff Online. http://offoffonline.com/archives.php?id=109. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- ^ a b Genzlinger, Neil (6 Dec 2005). "Six People Walk Into a Bar, and a Drama Breaks Out". New York Times. http://theater2.nytimes.com/2005/12/06/theater/reviews/06coro.html?ex=1178683200&en=6bc0642b48cfd876&ei=5070. Retrieved 2007-05-07.
- ^ "Gregory Fletcher Personal Profile". http://www.gregoryfletcher.com/profile.htm. Retrieved 2007-05-06.
- ^ Garrison, Gary (2006). Kennedy Center Presents: Award-Winning Plays from the American College Theater Festival. Back Stage Books. ISBN 978-0823083909.
- ^ BWW News Desk (5 Dec 2005). "Photo Flash: Coronado at Manhattan Theatre Source". http://broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=6243. Retrieved 2007-05-06.
- ^ Hughes, Brendan (22 Dec 2005). "Curtain call: Dennis Lehane branches out with "Coronado"". Dorchester Reporter. http://www.dotnews.com/lehanebranchesoutwithcoron.html. Retrieved 2007-05-07.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
theatre — /thee euh teuhr, theeeu /, n. theater. * * * I Building or space in which performances are given before an audience. It contains an auditorium and stage. In ancient Greece, where Western theatre began (5th century BC), theatres were constructed… … Universalium
Manhattan Parade — est un film musical américain réalisé par Lloyd Bacon, sorti en 1931. Sommaire 1 Synopsis 2 Fiche technique 3 Distribution 4 … Wikipédia en Français
Manhattan — New York Island redirects here. For the Pacific island, see Teraina. For other uses, see Manhattan (disambiguation). Manhattan Borough of New York City New York County … Wikipedia
theatre, Western — ▪ art Introduction history of the Western theatre from its origins in pre Classical antiquity to the present. For a discussion of drama as a literary form, see dramatic literature and the articles on individual national literatures.… … Universalium
Manhattan — 40°43′42″N 73°59′39″O / 40.72833, 73.99417 … Wikipédia en Français
New York Innovative Theatre Awards — The New York Innovative Theatre Awards (IT Awards) were founded in 2004. These annual awards honor excellence in Off Off Broadway Theatre and help nurture and promote the Off Off Broadway community. Contents 1 Mission statement 2 IT Foundation… … Wikipedia
Mind The Gap Theatre — The brainchild of Paula D Alessandris, Mind The Gap (MTG) Theatre Company was conceived in 1998 to import edgy British productions, readings and workshops to New York audiences and, in return, export some of America s unknown theatrical talent to … Wikipedia
Chinatown, Manhattan — Manhattan s Chinatown (simplified Chinese: 纽约华埠 ; traditional Chinese: 紐約華埠; pinyin: Niŭyuē Huá Bù), home to one of the highest concentrations of Chinese people in the Western hemisphere, is located in the borough of Manhattan in New York… … Wikipedia
New York-Manhattan — Manhattan Pour les articles homonymes, voir Manhattan (homonymie). Manhattan (New York County) … Wikipédia en Français
Île de Manhattan — Manhattan Pour les articles homonymes, voir Manhattan (homonymie). Manhattan (New York County) … Wikipédia en Français