- Jessica McClure
Jessica McClure Morales Born Jessica McClure
March 26, 1986
Jessica McClure Morales (born March 26, 1986) became famous at the age of 18 months after falling into a well in the backyard of 3309 Tanner Dr. Midland, Texas, on October 14, 1987. Between that day and October 16, rescuers worked for 58 hours to free "Baby Jessica" from the eight-inch-wide well casing 22 feet (6.7 metres) below the ground. The story gained worldwide attention (leading to some criticism as a media circus), and later became the subject of a 1989 ABC TV movie. As presented in the movie, a vital part of the rescue was the use of the then relatively new technology of waterjet cutting.
CNN, then a fledgling cable news outlet, was on the scene with around-the-clock coverage of the rescue effort and it was in part due to this coverage that they were able to begin carving a niche out for themselves in the global media market. This massive media saturation of the ordeal prompted then-President Ronald Reagan to state that "everybody in America became godmothers and godfathers of Jessica while this was going on."
From the beginning, and throughout the incident, the switchboard for a local media outlet, KMID-TV, was flooded with telephone calls from news organizations and private individuals around the world, seeking the latest information on rescue efforts - and in some cases, sharing their own insight into this and similar incidents.
Ron Short, a muscular roofing contractor who was born without collarbones because of cleidocranial dysostosis and so could collapse his shoulders to work in cramped corners, arrived at the site and offered to go down the shaft; they accepted his offer, but did not use it.
D. Lance Lunsford wrote The Rainbow's Shadow: True Stories of Baby Jessica's Rescue & the Tragedies That Followed, which was published in 2006.
ABC made a TV movie of the story in 1989, Everybody's Baby: The Rescue of Jessica McClure, starring Patty Duke and Beau Bridges. The film featured, as extras, many participants in the actual rescue and its coverage.
After the incident
Following her rescue on October 16, 1987, surgeons had to amputate a toe due to gangrene from loss of circulation while in the well. She also has a scar on her forehead where her head rubbed against the well casing. She has had 15 surgeries over the years, and has no first-hand memory of the event. McClure graduated from Greenwood High School, in a small community near Midland, in May 2004.
On January 28, 2006, McClure married Daniel Morales at a Church of Christ in a small rural community outside of Midland. The couple met at a day-care center where his sister worked with McClure. The couple have a son named Simon and a daughter named Sheyenne.
On March 26, 2011, when Morales turned 25, she received a trust fund of donations worth up to $800,000. Her father said she had discussed setting up a trust fund for the college education of her two children. The trust fund had earlier helped in the purchase of her present home, which is less than 2 miles from the site of the 1987 incident.
Paramedic Robert O'Donnell and Midland Police Officer Andy Glasscock played crucial roles in McClure's rescue. O'Donnell suffered from post traumatic stress disorder and committed suicide in 1995. In 2004, Glasscock was arrested and charged with sexually exploiting a minor. He was convicted and currently serving a 20-year prison sentence. 
- Floyd Collins, an early case of "man trapped in cave" which got similar coverage in 1925.
- 2010 Copiapó mining accident, a similarly highly-covered event
- Kathy Fiscus, a child who died after falling down a well in 1949
- Alfredo Rampi, a child who also died after falling down a well in 1981
- Tikki Tikki Tembo
- The Well (1951 film) A little girl falls down a well, and the town unites to save her by drilling a parallel well.
- ^ "Jessica Makes It to Safety-After 58 1/2 Hours". Articles.latimes.com. 1987-10-17. http://articles.latimes.com/1987-10-17/news/mn-3702_1_jessica-mcclure. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- ^ "Cleidocranial Dysplasia-An Enigma Among Anomalies". http://www.jospt.org/members/getfile.asp?id=3740. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- ^ "Awards". Pulitzer.org. http://www.pulitzer.org/awards/1988. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- ^ "The Rainbow's Shadow: True Stories of Baby Jessica's Rescue & the Tragedies That Followed". Amazon.ca. 2006-09-28. http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0975566784. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- ^ TV Movie IMDb link
- ^ Koch, Wendy (2007-05-29). "Lives of indelible impact". Usatoday.com. http://www.usatoday.com/news/top25-people.htm. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- ^ a b  Blaney, Betsy "Baby Jessica turns 25, gains access to trust fund." Xfinity News, from Associated Press, March 25, 2011. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- ^ Celizic, Mike (2007-11-06). "Baby Jessica 20 years later". MSNBC. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19165433/. Retrieved 2010-11-24.
- ^ http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19104012/ns/today-today_people/t/where-jessica-mcclure-now/
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Jessica McClure — Morales (nacida el 26 de marzo de 1986) obtuvo notoriedad a la edad de 18 meses después de caer en un pozo en el patio trasero de la calle Dr Tanner número 3309 en Midland (Texas), el 14 de octubre de 1987. Entre ese día y el 16 de octubre, los… … Wikipedia Español
McClure (surname) — McClure is a surname with several origins. One origin of the name is from the Scottish Gaelic MacGilleUidhir, and Irish Mac Giolla Uidhir, which probably mean son of the sallow lad . Another origin of the name is from the Scottish Gaelic… … Wikipedia
Jessica (nombre) — Jessica (también pronunciado Jesica ) es un nombre femenino. El testimonio más antiguo de la forma más corriente se encuentra en el nombre del personaje de la obra de Shakespeare The Merchant of Venice, donde pertenece a la hija de Shylock. El … Wikipedia Español
Jessica (given name) — For other uses, see Jessica (disambiguation). Jessica Shylock and Jessica by Maurycy Gottlieb. The first use of the name Jessica is found in William Shakespeare s The Merchant of Venice … Wikipedia
Jessica Lovejoy — Révérend Lovejoy Timothy Lovejoy Personnage de Les Simpson Genre Masculin Activité(s) Révérend … Wikipédia en Français
Baby Jessica case — For other uses, see Jessica McClure. The Baby Jessica case, was a well publicized custody battle in Ann Arbor, Michigan in the early 1990s between Jan and Roberta DeBoer, the couple who attempted to adopt the child, and her biological parents,… … Wikipedia
Baby Jessica — may refer to: * Jessica McClure, a toddler who was rescued after she fell down a well in Midland, Texas in 1987. * Baby Jessica case, Anna Schmidt temporarily known as Jessica DeBoer a child who was the subject of a well publicized custody battle … Wikipedia
Troy McClure — Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Familie Simpson 2 Im Kernkraftwerk 2.1 C. Montgomery Burns 2.2 Waylon Smithers 2.3 Lenford „Lenny“ Leonard 2.4 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mel Damski — Melvin „Mel“ Damski (* 21. Juli 1946 in New York City, New York) ist ein US amerikanischer Film und Fernsehregisseur sowie Film und Fernsehproduzent. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben und Karriere 1.1 Kindheit, Ausbildung und Start in die Film un … Deutsch Wikipedia
Midland, Texas — City of Midland City Clockwise from top: Midland s skyline as seen from Hogan Park; Midland High Bulldogs on a Friday night football game; Road side sign seen driving … Wikipedia