- Bush family
The Bush Family
The Bush family in the Red Room of the White House (January 2005). Seated left to right: Marvin Bush, Laura Bush, George W. Bush, Barbara Bush, George H. W. Bush, Jeb Bush. Also pictured, from left: Georgia Grace Koch, Margaret Bush, Brian Berzins Walker Bush, Jenna Bush, Doro Bush, Barbara Pierce Bush, Robert P. Koch, Pierce Bush, Maria Bush, Neil Bush, Ashley Bush, Sam LeBlond, Bobby Koch, Nancy Ellis LeBlond, Mandi Bush, George P. Bush, and Columba Bush.
Ethnicity Primarily English and German descent Current region Texas, United States Information Place of origin United States Notable members Samuel Prescott Bush
George H. W. Bush
George W. Bush
Connected families Sheldon, Walker, Pierce, Welch, Hager, Kerry, Obama Estate Bush compound
The Bush family is a prominent American family. Along with many members who have been successful bankers and businessmen, across three generations the family includes two U.S. Senators, one Supreme Court Justice, two Governors, one Vice President and two Presidents. George Herbert Walker Bush and Barbara Pierce Bush have been married for 66 years, holding the record for the longest-married presidential couple. Peter Schweizer, author of a biography of the family, has described the Bushes as "the most successful political dynasty in American history". According to some online sources, the Bush family is of primarily English and German descent.
- 1 Family tree
- 2 Ancestors
- 3 Connections to other prominent families
- 4 See also
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Further reading
The following is a selective family tree of notable members of the modern Bush family:
Timothy Bush, Jr. Lydia Newcomb Obadiah Newcomb Bush (1797-1851 Harriet Smith James Smith Bush Harriet Fay Samuel P. Bush Flora Sheldon Prescott Sheldon Bush Dorothy Walker Bush Robert Sheldon Bush Mary Eleanor Bush Margaret Livingston Bush James Smith Bush Prescott Sheldon Bush, Jr. George H. W. Bush Barbara Bush Nancy Walker Bush William Henry Trotter Bush Jonathan James Bush Josephine Bush George W. Bush Laura Bush Pauline Robinson "Robin" Bush John Ellis "Jeb" Bush Columba Bush Neil Mallon Bush Sharon Smith Bush Marvin Pierce Bush Dorothy Bush Koch Billy Bush Jonathan S. Bush Barbara Pierce Bush Jenna Bush Hager Henry Chase Hager George Prescott Bush John Ellis "Jebby" Bush, Jr. Noelle Lucila Bush Lauren Bush-Lauren Sam LeBlond Ellie LeBlond Robert Koch Gigi Koch Josie Bush (Billy Bush) Mary Bush (Billy Bush) Bradley Bush(Billy Bush) Lillie Bush (Billy Bush)
- Samuel P. Bush (1863–1948), a close adviser to President Hoover, was president of the Ohio Association of Manufacturers and a major Columbus industrialist. He also served on the board of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland (as well as of the Huntington National Bank of Columbus).
- Flora Sheldon (1872–1920), the wife of Samuel P. Bush, married June 20, 1894 and mother to Prescott Bush.
- Prescott Bush (1895–1972), Samuel P. Bush's son, served as a US Senator from Connecticut.
- Dorothy Wear Walker Bush (1901–1992), the wife of Prescott, was the daughter of George Herbert Walker of the well-connected Walker family of bankers and businessmen
- Prescott Bush, Jr. (1922–2010), Prescott Bush's eldest son, served as chairman of the U.S.-China Chamber of Commerce.
- George H. W. Bush (born 1924), Prescott Bush Sr.'s second son, was the 41st US President, Vice-President of the United States under Ronald Reagan, a Congressman from Houston, and Central Intelligence Agency director, and also held other political and diplomatic posts. Before his political career he was in the oil business in Texas.
- Barbara Pierce Bush (born 1925), the daughter of publisher Marvin Pierce, was First Lady of the US and Second Lady of the US during her husband's terms.
- George W. Bush (born 1946), George H.W. Bush's eldest son, was the 43rd President of the United States and was the 46th Governor of Texas.
- Laura Welch Bush (born 1946), the wife of George W., was the First Lady and a former teacher.
- Pauline Robinson Bush (1949–1953), George H. W. Bush's second child and first daughter, died of leukemia.
- Jeb Bush (born 1953), George H.W. Bush's second son, was the 43rd Governor of Florida. Married to Columba Bush.
- Neil Bush (born 1955), third son of George H. W. Bush and brother of President George W. Bush, is a businessman. Currently married to Maria Bush (as of 2004). Early married to Sharon Smith, divorce in April 2003.
- Lauren Bush-Lauren (born 1984), model for Tommy Hilfiger, daughter of Neil Bush and Sharon Smith.
- Ashley Bush, daughter of Neil Bush and Sharon Smith
- Pierce M. Bush son of Neil Bush and Sharon Smith
- Marvin Bush (born 1956), a venture capitalist, fourth son of George H. W. Bush, and brother of President George W. Bush. Married to Margaret Conway (née Molster)
- They have two children, adopted: a daughter, Marshall, and a son, Walker
- Dorothy Bush Koch (born 1959), second daughter of George H. W. Bush and sister of President George W. Bush. Married to Bobby Koch, wine lobbyist. Children are Sam and Ellie LeBlond, Robert and Gigi Koch.
- Nancy Walker Bush Ellis (born 1926), Prescott Bush Sr.'s third child, and the only daughter.
- John Prescott Ellis (born 1953), son of Nancy Bush Ellis, media consultant
- Jonathan Bush (born 1931), Prescott Bush Sr.'s fourth child, banker
- William H.T. Bush (born 1938), Prescott Bush Sr.'s fifth child, banker and executive
- Richard Bush (c. 1696–1732 in Bristol, Plymouth Colony) is believed to be the earliest known patrilineal member of the Bush family. He lived in North America.
- Timothy Bush, Jr. (1761–1850 in Penfield, New York) was the son of Timothy Bush.
- Obadiah Newcomb Bush (January 28, 1797–1851) was the son of blacksmith Timothy Bush, Jr. and Lydia Newcomb, and was born in Penfield, New York on January 28, 1797. He left home during the War of 1812 and married Harriet Smith (1800–1867) (Cambridge, New York, May 12, 1800 – Cincinnati, Ohio, June 21, 1867), the daughter of Dr. Sanford Smith (1760–1815) (Stonington, Connecticut, February 27, 1760 – Scipio, New York, June 15, 1815) and his wife Priscilla Whippo Smith (1763–1838) (Cambridge, New York, c. 1763 – Pottstown, Pennsylvania, August 26, 1838), in Rochester, New York on November 8, 1821. He and his wife had seven children. Through his son Reverend James Smith Bush (1825–1889), he is the great-great-grandfather of former President George Herbert Walker Bush and the great-great-great-grandfather of President George W. Bush. In Rochester, Obadiah was employed as a schoolmaster and was also a well known abolitionist. He served as vice president of the Anti-Slavery Society and was on a committee to nominate candidates for justice of the peace. His brother Henry, a manufacturer of stoves, was also well known for his involvement in abolitionist activities. He was a participant in the Underground Railroad, and even petitioned the New York State Legislature to secede from the Union in a protest against slavery. The Rochester Daily Advertiser accused him of encouraging "anarchy." Eventually Obadiah, Henry and possibly another brother or two went off to find their fortunes in the California Gold Rush of 1849. After two years of toiling in California he began passage home, by ship, to retrieve his family in New York. He died, however, aboard ship and was given a sea burial. According to the book The Faith of George W. Bush: "[He] left his home during the War of 1812, became a schoolmaster, then caught gold fever and left for California during the Gold Rush of 1849. Two years later, he tried to return home to reclaim his family and take them west. He died in the attempt, though, and was buried at sea. leaving his wife and seven children alone in Rochester, New York."
- James Smith Bush (1825–1889), an Episcopal priest in New Jersey, California, and New York, was the son of Obadiah Bush and the father of Samuel Prescott Bush. The first Bush to earn a degree from Yale University, he supported the founding of The Third Society at Yale, now known as Wolf's Head Society.
Other notable relatives
- George Bush (1796–1859) was a biblical scholar who wrote the book Life of Mohammed, and a cousin of Obadiah Newcomb Bush.
- Col. Robert Bolling Sr. (1646–1709) was an Early American settler whose son, Robert Bolling Jr., was a Bush family ancestor. Bolling Sr. later had children with Jane Rolfe, the granddaughter of Pocahontas. These children were her only surviving descendants. As a result, all members of the George H. W. Bush family (including his siblings) are relatives of all Pocahontas descendants.
- Gov. Thomas Hinckley (1618–1706) was a Plymouth Colony governor, and an ancestor of all members of the George H. W. Bush family (including his siblings).
- Mary Parker (1637–92) was executed by hanging in 1692 for witchcraft in the Salem Witch Trials, and a 4th great-grandmother of the Rev. James Smith Bush Esq. (1825–89).
- Philip Sherman (1610–87) was a founder of Rhode Island and an ancestor of all members of the George H.W. Bush family (including his siblings).
- Gov. Thomas Mayhew Sr. (1593–1682) was the founder of Martha's Vineyard and an ancestor of all members of the George H. W. Bush family (including his siblings).
- Måns Andersson (d. aft. 1679) was a Swedish immigrant and believed to be among the earliest ancestors of the Bush family in North America.
- Jonathan Fairbanks (1594–1668) was the builder of the Fairbanks House, the oldest existing house in North America, and was a 4th great grandfather of Obadiah Newcomb Bush. He is also an ancestor of William Howard Taft, Vice President Charles W. Fairbanks and the father and son Governors of Vermont Erastus Fairbanks and Horace Fairbanks.
- Rev. John Lothropp (1584–1653) was an ancestor of all members of the George H.W. Bush family (including his siblings). This ancestry makes the Bush family relatives to President Grant as well as Benedict Arnold, among others.
- Anne Hutchinson (1591–1643) was a Massachusetts religious dissident and an ancestor of all members of the George H.W. Bush family (including his siblings). This ancestry makes the Bush family relatives of Presidents Washington, Franklin Roosevelt and Coolidge.
Connections to other prominent families
George Herbert "Bert" Walker (1875–1953) was a wealthy American banker and businessman. His daughter Dorothy married Prescott Bush, making him the grandfather of the 41st President George H. W. Bush and the great-grandfather of the 43rd President George W. Bush. He is also the namesake of the Walker Cup, a men's amateur golf trophy contested in odd-numbered years between a U.S. team and a combined Great Britain and Ireland side.
Samuel Prescott Bush married Flora Sheldon, who had a common ancestor with the Fishes (e.g. Hamilton Fish) and the Keans (e.g. Thomas Kean). Their common ancestor was the famed Robert Livingston the Elder.
First Lady Barbara Bush (née Pierce), the wife of George H. W. Bush (the 41st President of the United States) and the mother of George W. Bush (the 43rd President), is descended from a second cousin of Franklin Pierce (14th President).
Other U.S. presidents
President George W. Bush is related to other presidents as well as Pierce, to whom he is also related on his father's side via Daniel Brewer. He is also a cousin of Washington (via Hutchinsons), Adams (via Prescotts link to Hoar, through Abigail Adams wife of John Adams), Fillmore (via Millards), Lincoln (via Gilmans), Grant (via Lathrops), Hayes (via Smiths, Footes, Parmelees, and Huckinses), Garfield (via Wheelers, Carpenters, Cookes, Warrens, Holbrooks, and Arnolds), Cleveland (via Smiths and Stanleys), Theodore Roosevelt (via Schuylers), Taft (via Holbrooks, Thayers, Haywards, Cookes, Footes, Ravenses, Waterses, and Shermans), Coolidge (via Phillipses, Hortons, Garnseys, Pulsiphers, Ravenses, Richardsons, Moores, Bulkeleys, and Morses), Hoover (via Brookses, Reades, Wheelers, Richardsons, and Shermans), Franklin Roosevelt (via Beekmans, Hutchinsons, Popes, Jenneys, Richardses, Palgraves, Lathrops, and Howlands), Nixon (via Lippincotts, Footes, Traverses, Morses, and Howlands), Ford (via Vanderburghs, Wheelers, Marvins, Gilmans, and Howlands) and Obama (via Hinckleys). Barbara Pierce Bush is a distant niece of Franklin Pierce.
George W. Bush and his opponent in the 2004 U.S. Presidential election John Kerry share a common ancestor in Edmund Reade (1563–1623) and his wife Elizabeth Cooke. Bush and Kerry are 9th cousins, twice removed.
Sir Winston Churchill
The Mayflower pilgrims
- Bush-Davis-Walker family political line
- List of U.S. political families
- Political families of the world
- ^ Joseph Curl (January 20, 2005). "Rise of 'dynasty' quick, far-reaching". The Washington Times. http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050119-123016-5212r.htm. Retrieved 2006-11-10. [dead link]
- ^ Ancestry of George W. Bush (b. 1946) from wargs.com[dead link]
- ^ Bush Family Has Impressive Lineage from illuminati-news.com
- ^ O'Connor, Anahad (June 24, 2010). "Prescott Bush Jr., Scion of a Political Family, Dies at 87". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/25/us/politics/25bush.html?hpw. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- ^ Kelly, Jacqueline. "The Untold Story of Mary Ayer Parker: Gossip and Confusion in 1692." Revised for presentation at the Berkshire Conference. June 2005.
- ^ Robinson, Enders A. "Salem Witchcraft and Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables." pp. 251–5. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books. 1992.
- ^ Dowbenko, Uri, ed. "Bush's Satanic & Witchcraft Bloodlines." ConspiracyPlanet.com. Pray, Mont.: Conspiracy Planet. Oct. 3, 2008. Retrieved on Oct. 3, 2008.
- ^ According to research posted by a user of "Family Origins" genealogy software, lineage as follows: Jonathan (born 1595) to his son Jonathan (born 1628) to his son Jeremiah (born 1674) to his daughter Mary who married Richard Bush and together had Timothy Bush (born 1728). The lineage continues with Timothy's son Timothy Bush, Jr. (born 1761) to his son Obadiah Newcomb Bush (born 1791) to his son James Smith Bush (born 1825) to his son Samuel P. Bush (born 1863) to his son Senator Prescott Bush to his son President George H. W. Bush who is George W. Bush's father.
- ^ According to research posted by a user of "Family Origins" genealogy software, lineage as follows: Jonathan (born 1595) to his son George (born 1619) to his daughter Mary who married Joseph Daniels and together they had a son Eleazer (born 1681). It continues through his son David to his daughter Cloe who married Seth Davenport and together had a child Anna. Anna married William Torrey whose son Samuel had a daughter Louisa. Louisa married Alphonso Taft and together they had President William Howard Taft.
- ^ According to research posted by a user of "Family Origins" genealogy software, lineage as follows: Jonathan to his son Jonas to his son Jabez to his son Joshua to his son Luther to his son Luther to his son Loriston Monroe who was the father of Vice President Charles Warren Fairbanks.
- ^ According to research posted by a user of "Family Origins" genealogy software, lineage as follows: Jonathan to his son John to his son Joseph to his son Joseph to his son Ebenezer to his son Joseph to his son Governor Erastus Fairbanks to his son Governor Horace Fairbanks.
- ^ Richard W. Field. "Notable Families Having Multiple Connections". http://hometown.aol.com/rfield/spencped.html. Retrieved 2006-10-26.
- ^ a b c d e William Addams Reitwiesner. "Ancestry of George W. Bush". http://www.wargs.com/political/bush.html. Retrieved 2006-08-16. [dead link]
- ^ Roberts, Gary Boyd, 1989, Ancestors of American Presidents, Santa Clarita, CA: Carl Boyer, 3rd, and New England Historic Genealogical Society
- ^ Nicholas Wade (2007-10-21). "Cheney and Obama: It’s Not Genetic". Nytimes.com. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/weekinreview/21basic.html. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ David Paul Kuhn (2004-03-04). "Bush, Kerry & Hefner: Odd Cousins". CBSNews.com. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/04/politics/main604163.shtml. Retrieved 2006-10-26.
- Victory restores Bush dynasty to Washington from CNN
- The Bush dynasty and the Cuban criminals from The Guardian
- Cheney's health beside the point in Bush dynasty from The Cincinnati Enquirer
- The Bush dynasty parties on from the St. Petersburg Times
- Bush family genealogy from svu2000.org
- Bush Family Tree from randomhouse.com
- American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune, and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush (2004), Kevin Phillips. ISBN 0-670-03264-6
- The Bushes: Portrait of a Dynasty, Peter Schweizer
- The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty, Kitty Kelley
Bush family Prescott Bush ancestors
Dorothy Walker Bush ancestors
Samuel P. Bush & Flora Sheldon Prescott Bush (1895–1972) George H. W. Bush (1924–)
Jonathan Bush (1931–)George Walker Bush (m.) Laura Lane Welch • Pauline Robinson Bush (1949–1953) • Jeb Bush (m.) Columba Garnica Gallo • Neil Mallon Bush (m.) Sharon Smith • Marvin Pierce Bush (m.) Margaret Molster • Dorothy Walker Bush (m./div. 1st) William LeBlond ; (m. 2nd) Robert P. Koch
Billy Bush (m.) Sydney Davis • Jonathan S. Bush
George W. Bush (1946–)
Jeb Bush (1953–)
Neil Bush (1955–)
Marvin Bush (1956–)
Dorothy Koch (1959–)
See also George W. Bush Life Presidency Elections Public image Books In fiction Family United States Presidential Family political linesList of U.S. presidential relatives • Genealogical relationships of Presidents of the United States
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Thomas Walker (Bush family) — Thomas Walker (1758 1799) was the father of George E. Walker and an ancestor of the Bush family.He was born 1758 in Clifton, Gloucester, near Bristol, England, and was murdered 1799 at sea by pirates plundering his ship. He married Catherine… … Wikipedia
Family Day — (dt.: Familientag) ist der Name eines staatlichen Feiertags in Südafrika, in den Kanadischen Provinzen von Alberta, Ontario und Saskatchewan, im us amerikanischen Bundesstaat Arizona und als „Familien und Gemeinschaftstag“ im Australischen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bush v. Gore — Supreme Court of the United States Argued December 11, 2000 Decided December 12, 2000 … Wikipedia
Bush, George W. — ▪ 2005 On Nov. 2, 2004, George W. Bush was elected to a second term as president of the United States. He received 51% of the popular vote, to 48% for Democratic candidate Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry (q.v.); the vote in the electoral… … Universalium
Bush compound — The Bush compound, firstly Walker s Point, is the summer home of 41st President of the United States George H. W. Bush. Located adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean in southern Maine, near the town of Kennebunkport, the property has been a family… … Wikipedia
Bush, Barbara — ▪ American first lady née Barbara Pierce born June 8, 1925, Rye, New York, U.S. American first lady (1989–93), the wife of George Bush (Bush, George), 41st president of the United States. One of the most popular first ladies, she was noted… … Universalium
Bush-Davis-Walker family political line — The Walker family is a family of politicians from the United States. Below is a list of members:*William P. Walker (1778 1858), Massachusetts State Representative, Massachusetts State Senator, Massachusetts Governor s Councilman, Probate Court… … Wikipedia
Family of Barack Obama — Index: A · B · C · D · E · F · G … Wikipedia
Bush — Nouns* Shrub, a type of woody plant, smaller than normal trees *The Bush, a term used in several countries for rural, undeveloped land or country areas **The Bush (Alaska) *Bushcraft, a popular term for wilderness survival skills *Bush… … Wikipedia
Bush on the Couch — Infobox Book name = Bush on the Couch title orig = translator = image caption = US cover of Bush on the Couch author = Justin Frank illustrator = cover artist = Rodrigo Corral Design country = United States language = English series = subject =… … Wikipedia