- Andy Barker, P.I.
Andy Barker, P.I. Format Sitcom/mystery Created by Conan O'Brien
Starring Andy Richter
Country of origin United States No. of seasons 1 No. of episodes 6 (List of episodes) Production Executive producer(s) Conan O'Brien
Running time 20 minutes Broadcast Original channel NBC Original run March 15, 2007 – April 14, 2007 External links Website
Richter plays Andy Barker, a certified public accountant who reluctantly becomes a private investigator after he is mistaken for the former office tenant, a private eye, now retired. Andy develops a taste for solving cases, assisted by the former P.I., a film buff owner of the downstairs video store, a surveillance-expert restaurateur and, as time goes on, his wife.
The show was produced for one season, and was scheduled to run a six-episode, five-week course starting Thursday, March 15, 2007 on NBC. However, the series was cancelled and removed from the Thursday lineup after the fourth episode aired. The final two episodes aired on Saturday, April 14. The series now airs on Universal HD.
On March 7, 2006, NBC announced the ordering of the pilot episode, which was written by creators and executive producers Conan O'Brien and Jonathan Groff. The series is shot single-camera, and is presented without a laugh track. In early March 2007, NBC published all six episodes of Andy Barker, P.I. on the NBC website prior to its broadcast premiere.
NBC premiered Andy Barker, P.I. with another detective-themed show, Raines. Both shows, available on the iTunes Store, offered free downloads of the pilots for a short time.
Early promotional images released to promote the series feature the early cast set for the show — Andy, Simon, Lew, Wally, Ruth and Jessica. The roles of Ruth (Andy's wife) and Jessica (Andy's "assistant") were later renamed and recast before the show's debut. Ruth Barker, later renamed Jenny Barker (performed by Clea Lewis), was portrayed by Amy Farrington. Jessica, later renamed and reworked into Nicole (performed by Nicole Randall Johnson), was portrayed by Ion Overman in these images. These roles were presumably recast after the early photo shoot and prior to the filming and further development of the series as Farrington and Overman were not seen in the series itself.
- Andy Richter as Andy Barker: A middle-aged Certified Public Accountant, who, after starting his own firm in the pilot, reluctantly takes on a missing-person case brought to him by a mysterious Russian-accented woman who mistakes Andy for the former tenant, a real P.I. In subsequent episodes, Andy takes on (or is thrust into) cases that usually involve his friends and family and which he must solve in addition to his accounting duties.
- Clea Lewis as Jenny Barker: Andy's wife, who first disapproves, but gradually warms to his new side profession. She and Andy have an infant daughter named Molly and at least one son.
- Tony Hale as Simon: Manager of the "Video Riot" rental store who has extensive knowledge of movie trivia. He befriends Andy, and designates himself an investigative partner.
- Marshall Manesh as Wally: An Afghan restaurant owner who "went overboard with patriotism after 9/11," and has excellent surveillance equipment.
- Harve Presnell as Lew Staziak: The retired tough-as-nails cynical P.I. and prior tenant of Andy's rental office. Lew becomes Andy's mentor and aide, with mixed consequences. Lew antagonizes Simon, suffers from alektorophobia (fear of chickens), and his memory lapses cause trouble for Andy. Mickey Doyle, Lew's unscrupulous former partner, was the villain of the episode "The Lady Varnishes."
Notable guest stars
- Nicole Randall Johnson as Nicole: An unmotivated file clerk with attitude that appears in the pilot episode. However after Andy costs her the clerk job by stealing files, she matter-of-factly hires herself as his unwanted assistant in Fairway My Lovely. Simon is infatuated with her, but she ignores his advances. She has a deaf brother and is fluent in reading lips. Nicole is heavily featured in promotions, but is a supporting character in just two episodes.
- Vanessa Branch as Nadia Kerensky ("Pilot")
- Gary Anthony Williams as Ron ("Pilot")
- Traci Lords as Loretta Crispin ("Dial M For Laptop")
- Sarah Christine Smith as Alicia ("The Big No Sleep")
- Amy Sedaris as Rita Spaulding ("The Lady Varnishes")
- Edward Asner as Mickey Doyle ("The Lady Varnishes")
- James Hong as Jon Leibowitz ("The Lady Varnishes")
- Peter Allen Vogt as Guy Helverson ("Fairway, My Lovely")
Season 1: 2007
The titles of all of the episodes are plays on the titles of actual classic mystery and private investigator films. The title "Fairway, My Lovely" is based on Farewell, My Lovely; "Three Days of the Chicken" is based on Three Days of the Condor; "Dial M for Laptop" is based on Dial M for Murder; "The Big No Sleep" is based on The Big Sleep; and "The Lady Varnishes" is based on The Lady Vanishes.
# Title Directed by Written by Original airdate Prod. code 1 "Pilot" Jason Ensler Conan O'Brien and Jonathan Groff March 15, 2007 101 Mild-mannered accountant Andy Barker begins a double life as a P.I. when he is hired to solve a case involving the Russian mafia. 2 "Fairway, My Lovely" Jason Ensler Jane Espenson and Alex Herschlag March 22, 2007 104 After Guy Helverson, an overweight tax client dies, seemingly of natural causes, his wife insists that he was murdered. Andy is doubtful until he discovers that Guy was having an affair. 3 "Three Days of the Chicken" Jason Ensler Gail Lerner March 29, 2007 103 Wally is blackmailed by Transcor, an evil chicken cartel that murders anyone who gets in their way. Andy is determined to stop them, but Lew warns that Transcor is too powerful. 4 "Dial M for Laptop" Jason Ensler Chuck Tatham April 5, 2007 102 Andy gets caught up in a credit fraud case while trying to simultaneously file his father-in-law's taxes. 5 "The Big No Sleep" Jason Ensler Josh Bycel April 14, 2007 106 A dishonest doc pains Andy, until a baby toy provides the clues Andy needed. 6 "The Lady Varnishes" Jason Ensler Jon Ross April 14, 2007 105 Series finale. Andy discovers a forty-year-old letter from a woman convicted of murder that explains she was framed. However, Lew's former partner, the real murderer, will stop at nothing to keep the truth from coming out.
- Note: the final two episodes were aired on a Saturday at a special time of 8 and 8:30.
Critic reviews were positive in L.A. Times ("quietly delightful"), Entertainment Weekly (B+), and a 73% score based on 24 critic reviews at Metacritic. Some reviewers were reserved: Chicago Tribune ("some laughs, but the show fails to truly catch fire").
U.S. television ratings
# Episode Air Date Timeslot (EST) Season Rating Share 18–49 Viewers Rank 1 "Pilot" March 15, 2007 Thursday 9:30PM 2006–2007 3.7 6 2.4 6.0 # 63 2 "Fairway, My Lovely" March 22, 2007 Thursday 9:30PM 2006–2007 3.5 5 2.2 5.3 # 72 3 "Three Days of the Chicken" March 29, 2007 Thursday 9:30PM 2006–2007 2.6 4 2.1 4.2 # 92 4 "Dial M for Laptop" April 5, 2007 Thursday 9:30PM 2006–2007 2.6 4 1.7 4.1 # 95 5 "The Big No Sleep" April 14, 2007 Saturday 8:00PM 2006–2007 TBA TBA TBA 2.1 TBA 6 "The Lady Varnishes" April 14, 2007 Saturday 8:30PM 2006–2007 TBA TBA TBA 2.0 TBA Season Timeslot (EDT) Series Premiere Series Finale TV Season Rank Viewers
1 (see above) Thursday 9:30 P.M. (March 15, 2007-April 5, 2007)
Saturday 8:00 P.M. (April 14, 2007)
Saturday 8:30 P.M. (April 14, 2007)
March 15, 2007 April 14, 2007 2006–2007 #93 5.4
- ^ NBC Sets Dates for Donnelly, Andy Zap2it.com, February 2, 2007
- ^ Andy Barker, P.I.: NBC Cancels Andy Richter Sitcom TV Series Finale
- ^ Andy mentions that his son went through a unicorn phase in "Dial M for Laptop."
- ^ Shout! Factory Store
- ^ Review in L.A. Times Robert Lloyd, March 14, 2007
- ^ Review by Entertainment Weekly EW.com. Gillian Flynn
- ^ Andy Barker Score Metacritic. Retrieved March 28, 2007.
- ^ Review-a-palooza Part 2. Chicago Tribune. Maureen Ryan, March 14, 2007
- ^ Zap2It Ratings: Rating and Share.
- ^ L.A. Times Calendar Live Ratings: Viewers and Rankings.
- ^ 18-49 Ratings: Media Life Magazine (18-49 numbers)
- ^ "Hollywood Reporter: 2006-07 primetime wrap". May 25, 2007. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/features/e3ifbfdd1bcb53266ad8d9a71cad261604f.
- Andy Barker, P.I. - Official Site
- Andy Barker, P.I. at the Internet Movie Database
- Andy Barker, P.I. at TV.com
Conan O'Brien Television hosting Major appearances Other television workNot Necessarily the News (writer, 1985–1987) · The Wilton North Report (writer, 1987–1988) · Saturday Night Live (writer, 1988–1991) · Lookwell (writer, 1991) · The Simpsons (writer, producer, 1991–1993) · Andy Barker, P.I. (creator, 2007) · Operating Instructions (executive producer, 2010) · Outlaw (executive co-producer, 2010) · Eagleheart (executive producer, 2011–) Other work Collaborators Related articles NBC's "Must See TV / Comedy Night Done Right" 1980s debuts 1990s debutsBattery Park · Boston Common · Caroline in the City · Daddio · ER · Fired Up · Frasier · Friends · Grand · Hope and Gloria · Jesse · Just Shoot Me! · Mad About You · Madman of the People · The Naked Truth · Out All Night · Rhythm & Blues · The Single Guy · Stark Raving Mad · Suddenly Susan · Union Square · Veronica's Closet · Will & Grace · Wings 2000s debuts30 Rock · Andy Barker, P.I. · The Apprentice · Community · Coupling · Cursed · Deal or No Deal · Four Kings · Good Morning, Miami · Inside Schwartz · The Jay Leno Show · Joey · Kath & Kim · Leap of Faith · Lipstick Jungle · My Name Is Earl · The Office · Parks and Recreation · Saturday Night Live Weekend Update Thursday · Scrubs 2010s debuts
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Andy Barker, P.I. — Seriendaten Originaltitel Andy Barker, P.I. Produktionsland USA … Deutsch Wikipedia
Andy Richter — Infobox actor imagesize = caption = birthdate = birth date and age|1966|10|28 birthplace = Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States birthname = Paul Andrew Richter spouse = Sarah Thyre othername = homepage = occupation = Actor, comedianPaul Andrew… … Wikipedia
Andy Richter Controls the Universe — Infobox television show name = Andy Richter Controls the Universe caption = format = Comedy runtime = 20 ndash;22 minutes creator = Victor Fresco starring = Andy Richter Irene Molloy Paget Brewster Jonathan Slavin James Patrick Stuart country =… … Wikipedia
Andy Ansah — (born 19 March 1969 in Lewisham, London, England, UK)is an English football player and actor. He played for six Football League teams in his career, most notably Southend United, where he played 157 league games and scored 33 goals during the… … Wikipedia
Andy Cutting — is an English folk musician and composer. Born 18 March 1969 in Harrow, he plays diatonic button accordion and has had instruments made by Castagnari to his own specification. He won the Folk Musician of the Year at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards… … Wikipedia
Andy Culligan — Données clés Nationalité Canada Né le 22 novembre 1947, Toronto (Canada) Joueur retraité Position … Wikipédia en Français
Andy Scott (politician) — Infobox CanadianMP honorific prefix =The Honourable name=Robert Andrew Keith Scott term start=1993 term end= predecessor= Bud Bird birth date= birth date and age |1955|3|16 birth place= Barker s Point, New Brunswick successor= death date= death… … Wikipedia
Andy Sutton — Kanada Andy Sutton Personenbezogene Informationen Geburtsdatum 10. März … Deutsch Wikipedia
Andy Partridge — Infobox musical artist | Name = Andy Partridge Img capt = Img size = Background = solo singer Birth name = Andrew John Partridge Alias = Born = birth date and age|1953|11|11 Mtarfa, Malta Died = Origin = Swindon, Wiltshire, England Instrument =… … Wikipedia
Andy Scott (homme politique) — Pour l’article homonyme, voir Scott. Andy Scott C.P., B.A. (né le 16 mars 1955) est un fonctionnaire principal et homme politique fédéral du Nouveau Brunswick. Née à Barker s Point au Nouveau Brunswick, M. Scott servit à titre de… … Wikipédia en Français