- David Rudovsky
David Rudovsky (born 1943, Queens, New York) is a civil rights lawyer in Philadelphia. He is a founding partner of the law firm of Kairys, Rudovsky, Messing, and Feinberg, and a Senior Fellow at University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he teaches evidence and constitutional criminal procedure. In 1986 he was named a MacArthur Fellow by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
Rudovsky has twice appeared before the United States Supreme Court. He represented the plaintiff in Mitchell v. Forsyth, 472 U.S. 511 (1985), which addressed whether a government official could be sued for damages based on his conduct in authorizing a warrantless wiretap for the purpose of gathering intelligence regarding a suspected threat to national security. The Supreme Court held that the official was immune from suit because his actions had not violated clearly established law. In addition, Rudovsky represented the plaintiff in City of Canton v. Harris, 489 U.S. 378 (1989), which addressed whether police could be sued for failing to provide medical treatment to an arrestee who had fallen down while in police custody and allegedly had suffered "emotional ailments" as a result. The Supreme Court held that the plaintiff had not proven deliberate indifference by the police to the plaintiff's medical condition, and therefore had not established that they were liable for damages.
- Michael Avery, Karen Blum and David Rudovsky, Police Misconduct: Law and Litigation (Clark Boardman Co., 2006, 3rd ed.).
- David Rudovsky, Alan Bronstein and Ed. Koren, The Rights of Prisoners (1990).
- David Rudovsky and Leonard Sosnov, Criminal Law in Pennsylvania (West Publ. Co. 2006, 2nd ed.).
- Human Rights in Northern Ireland (Helsinki Watch, 1991, with Norman Dorsen and Lois Whitman).
- The Law of Arrest, Search and Seizure in Pennsylvania (PBR Press, 2005, 3rd ed.).
- “Running in Place: The Paradox of Expanding Rights and Restricted Remedies, “ 2005 Ill. L. Rev. 1199 (2005).
- “Law Enforcement By Stereotypes and Serendipity: Racial Profiling and Searches
- Without Cause,” 3 U.Pa.J. of Constitutional Law, 296 (2001).
- The Impact of the War on Drugs on Procedural Fairness and Racial Equality, 1994 Univ. of Chicago L. Forum 237 (1994).
- Police Abuse: Can The Violence Be Contained?, 27 Harvard Civil Rights - Civil Liberties L. Rev. 465 (1992).
- Crime, Law Enforcement, and Constitutional Rights, in A Less Than Perfect Union, Jules Lobel, ed. (1988).
- Criminal Justice: The Accused, in Our Endangered Rights, Norman Dorsen, ed. (1984).
- The Criminal Justice System and the Role of the Supreme court, The Politics of Law, David Kairys, ed. (Pantheon, 1990).
- John Gray and David Rudovsky, The Court Acknowledges the Illegitimate, 118 U. Pa. L. Rev. 1 (1969).
- The Right to Counsel Under Attack, 136 U. Pa. L. Rev. 1965 (1988).
- The Qualified Immunity Doctrine in the Supreme Court: Judicial Activism and the Restriction of Constitutional Rights, 138 U. Pa. L. Rev. 23 (1989).
- Norman Dorsen and David Rudovsky, Some Thoughts on Dissent, Personal Liberty and War, 54 ABA Journal 752 (1968).
- Book Review, Judicial First Aid, The Nation, August 17, 1977, p. 153.
- Litigating Prison Conditions in Philadelphia, 65 Prison Journal 64 (1985).
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
David Kairys — (born April 16, 1943, in Baltimore, Maryland) is Professor of Law at Temple University School of Law. He is the first James E. Beasley Chair (2001–07). Kairys is a civil rights lawyer. He authored … Wikipedia
Liste der MacArthur Fellows — Die MacArthur Fellowship ist eine von der John D. und Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation vergebene Auszeichnung, verbunden mit einem fünfjährigen Stipendium. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Liste der MacArthur Fellows 1.1 1981 1.2 1982 1.3 … Deutsch Wikipedia
MacArthur Fellows Program — For the award in the field of ecology, see Robert H. MacArthur Award. The MacArthur Fellows Program or MacArthur Fellowship (nicknamed the Genius Award) is an award given by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation each year to typically … Wikipedia
University of Pennsylvania Law School — Infobox University name = Penn Law established = 1790type = Private dean = Michael A.Fitts city = Philadelphia, Pennsylvania students = 848 faculty = campus = Urban website = http://law.upenn.edu The University of Pennsylvania Law School is the… … Wikipedia
Championnat du monde de roller in line hockey IIHF 2010 — Infobox compétition sportive Championnat du monde de roller in line hockey IIHF 2010 Sport Roller in line hockey Organisateur(s) Fédération internationale de hockey sur glace Éditions 14 Lieu … Wikipédia en Français
Extraliga (Tschechien) 2007/08 — O₂ Extraliga ◄ vorherige Saison 2007/08 nächste ► Meister … Deutsch Wikipedia
Championnat de République tchèque de hockey sur glace 2007-08 — Championnat de République tchèque de hockey sur glace 2007 2008 Saison 2007 08 Extraliga Vainqueur HC Slavia Praha Nombre d équipes … Wikipédia en Français
Championnat de République tchèque de hockey sur glace 2007-2008 — Saison 2007 08 Extraliga Vainqueur HC Slavia Praha Nombre d équipes 14 (division élite) Nombre de matchs joués 52 (saison régulière) Équipe reléguée (1. liga) HC Sl … Wikipédia en Français
Philip Goldberg — Philip S. Goldberg is a United States diplomat who was Ambassador to Bolivia and was expelled by the Bolivian government in 2008, the eighth chief of mission in US diplomatic history to be declared persona non grata . Early life and… … Wikipedia
War on Drugs — For other uses, see War on Drugs (disambiguation). As part of the War on Drugs , the U.S. gives hundreds of millions of dollars per year of military aid to Colombia, which is used to combat leftist guerrilla groups such as FARC, who have been… … Wikipedia