- The Firm (TV series)
show_name = The Firm
caption = Do They Have What It Takes?
genre = Reality
Anne Low, Ng Ping Ho
director = Ng Ping Ho
Peter Pek, Chan Boon Yong, Zafrul Aziz
theme_music_composer = Ub3rsound
country = Flagicon|Malaysia
language = English, with
subtitlesin Bahasa Malaysia
num_seasons = 2
num_episodes = 23
executive_producers = Anne Low, Ng Ping Ho
asst_producer = Wai Yok Lan
editor = MS Prem Nath, Amy Lim, Kiang Hon Yeat
Kuala Lumpurand Klang Valley
camera = John Goh, Eddie Tham Wai Wing, Boh Lee, Michael Chan Way Kin
runtime = 60 minutes
24 June, 2007
last_aired = present
website = http://www.ntv7.com.my/thefirm/
imdb_id = 1095326
tv_com_id = 74657
"The Firm" is Malaysia's first
corporate reality televisionprogramme produced by Popiah Picturesand ntv7. Hosted by Peter Pekand Chan Boon Yong, the show is directed by award-winning director Ng Ping Hoof "Kopitiam" fame. In "The Firm", a group of professionals compete in an elimination-style competition to find the next corporate high-flyer.
The show attempts to separate the weak from the strong, the under-achievers from the over-achievers and the followers from the leaders. Each week, candidates compete in a series of tasks dealing with different disciplines in business that is imperative to the success of a corporate high-flier. Amongst others, these include
branding, promotions, positioning and catering to target markets. The catch phraseused in the show is "You're terminated". The show premièred prime timeon ntv7 and Astro channel 7 on June 24, 2007.
Although the show initially drew comparisons to Mark Burnett’s "The Apprentice", it became quite apparent that it is quite different in that there are two corporate leaders who lead each team and decide who gets eliminated when their team fails to win a challenge. In addition, in episode 7, both corporate leaders leave their jobs as mentors to the teams and a new
CEOenters the picture.
"The Firm" has reached its second season, which premièred on ntv7 and Astro 107 on
August 2, 2008.
The Firm has two corporate leaders, and a CEO, who all judge the candidates at different stages:
Peter Pek- renowned brandguru, writer, columnist, editor, publisher, designer, creative director, public speaker, and head of Malaysia's largest branding agency, Brand Mercatus.
Chan Boon Yong- entrepreneur and founder of The Carat Club, a diamondretailer.
Zafrul Aziz- CEO of Tune Money.
Season one of "the Firm" premiered on Malaysian television on
June 24, 2007, featuring ten aspiring entrepreneurs divided into two teams, Dynamic and Momentum, led by Pek and Chan respectively, vying for a top position in "the Firm", which turned out to be a job offer in Tune Money, among other prizes. Tengku Zafrul's identity remained undisclosed for the earlier half of the season until the remaining contestants merge in the run-up to the finale. The grand prize fell in the hands of Joel Neoh, who is now known for pioneering "youth entrepreneurship".
Season two premiered on
August 2, 2008, in which fourteen aspiring entrepreneurs vie for the position of Assistant CEO in "the Firm", again divided into two teams - Equity and Asset, led by Pek and Chan respectively.
* Taib, Shuib (Jun 28, 2007). [http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/Features/20070628151417/Article/indexpull_html Looking for the head honcho] . "New Straits Times." Retrieved Jul 1, 2007.
* Chandran, Sheela (Jun 27, 2007). [http://star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2007/6/27/tvnradio/18069844&sec=tvnradio You’re fired! - Watch how 10 contestants battle to scale the corporate ladder in Ntv7’s The Firm] . "The Star." Retrieved Jun 27, 2007.
* Zaidi Isham Ismail (Jun 19, 2007). [http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/Tuesday/Nation/FIRM.xml/Article/ ntv7 sees 600,000 viewers tuning in to 'The Firm'] . "Business Times." Retrieved Jun 20, 2007.
* Sharifah Arfah (Jun 21, 2007). [http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/Features/20070621185910/Article/index_html Weekend Watch: Run-up to Merdeka] . "The New Straits Times Online." Retrieved Jun 24, 2007.
* Sheela Chandran (Aug 27, 2007). [http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2007/8/27/tvnradio/18673349&sec=tvnradio Victorious Joel] . "The Star". Retrieved Aug 27, 2007.
* [http://www.ntv7.com.my/thefirm/ ntv7's The Firm microsite]
* [http://www.facebook.com/pages/ntv7s-The-Firm/36520095449 The Firm] fan page at
* [http://www.new.facebook.com/pages/Peter-Pek/24787354890 Peter Pek] fan page at
* "The Firm" preview on [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPd7tHrUFYY YouTube]
* [http://thefirmntv7.blogspot.com Discussion on every episode of The Firm]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.