- Church of Hawkwind
Church of Hawkwind Studio album by Hawkwind Released 1982 Recorded 1981-1982 Genre Space rock Length 50:31 Label Active Records Producer Dr Technical Hawkwind chronology Sonic Attack
Church of Hawkwind
Choose Your Masques
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  This table needs to be expanded using prose. See the guideline for more information.
Church of Hawkwind is the twelfth studio album by Hawkwind, released under the band name Church of Hawkwind in 1982. The name change reflects the fact that this was a musical departure for the band, being a more experimental electronic offering rather than the usual heavy rock that the band were known for at the time.
Dave Brock resurrects the "Dr Technical" alias which he had previously used for production of the band's 1972 hit single "Silver Machine". This is almost a Dave Brock solo album considering the heavy bias towards his work, and none of these tracks were performed live by the band, save "Looking In The Future" which was re-recorded as "Letting In The Past" on It is the Business of the Future to be Dangerous.
"The Phenomenon of Luminosity" features a sample of John Glenn on the Friendship Seven spacecraft during the Mercury-Atlas 6 mission on 20 February 1962. An alternative version of "Experiment With Destiny" had appeared on the preceding year's Sonic Attack album as "Virgin of the World".
Although credited to Dave Brock, the track "Some People Never Die" borrows much of its material from the track "They Call Me Gun" on an obscure LP "On The Seventh Day" (US Mercury Records 61248, 1970), right down to the Robert F. Kennedy and Lee Harvey Oswald shooting commentaries. An alternative edit of "Some People Never Die" is on "SpaceBrock" (2000).
The CD bonus tracks were recorded in the 1990s and seem at odds with the overall feel of the album, and they were placed in the middle of a resequenced side 2 disrupting the flow of the album, for example the rowing that linked "Some People Never Die" with "Light Specific Data" now has 5 tracks in between.
Side 1: Space
- "Angel Voices" (Dave Brock, Harvey Bainbridge) 1:21 – Brock; Bainbridge
- "Nuclear Drive" (Brock) 3:39 – Brock; Lloyd-Langton; Griffin
- "Star Cannibal" (Brock) 5:31 – Brock; Lloyd-Langton; Griffin
- "The Phenomenon of Luminosity" (Brock) 2:40 – Brock
- "Fall of Earth City" (Brock, Bainbridge, Huw Lloyd-Langton) 3:24 – Brock; Bainbridge; Lloyd-Langton; Griffin
- "The Church" (Brock, Lloyd-Langton) 1:32 – Brock; Lloyd-Langton
Side 2: Fate
- "Joker at the Gate" (Brock, Bainbridge) 1:51 – Brock; Bainbridge; Griffin
- "Some People Never Die" (Brock) 3:52 – Brock; Sperhawk; Bodi
- "Light Specific Data" (Brock) 3:48 – Brock; Bainbridge; Griffin
- "Experiment With Destiny" (Brock, Bainbridge) 2:31 – Brock; Bainbridge; Griffin
- "The Last Messiah" (Brock, Bainbridge) 1:27 – Brock; Bainbridge; Madam X
- "Looking in the Future" (Brock) 4:03 – Brock; Bainbridge; Lloyd-Langton; Griffin
Atomhenge CD bonus tracks
- Angel Voices" [Extended Version]
- "Harvey’s Sequence"
- "Fall Of Earth City" [Alternate Version]
- "Water Music (Light Specific Data)"
- "Looking In The Future"
- "Virgin Of The World"
- "Angel Voices" (Brock, Bainbridge) 1:21
- "Nuclear Drive" (Brock) 3:39
- "Star Cannibal" (Brock) 5:31
- "The Phenomenon of Luminosity" (Brock) 2:40
- "Fall of Earth City" (Brock, Bainbridge, Lloyd-Langton) 3:24
- "The Church" (Brock, Lloyd-Langton) 1:32
- "Identimate" (Brock) 3:45 – bonus track – Brock; Davey; Chadwick
- "Some People Never Die" (Brock) 3:52
- "Damage of Life" (Brock) 5:50 – bonus track – Brock; Davey; Chadwick
- "Experiment With Destiny" (Brock, Bainbridge) 2:31
- "Mists of Meridin" (Brock, Alan Davey) 5:13 – bonus track – Brock; Davey; Chadwick
- "Looking in the Future" (Brock) 4:03
- "Joker at the Gate" (Brock, Bainbridge) 1:51
- "Light Specific Data" (Brock) 3:48
- "The Last Messiah" (Brock, Bainbridge) 1:27
- Dave Brock – electric guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, vocals
- Huw Lloyd-Langton – electric guitar, vocals
- Harvey Bainbridge – bass guitar, keyboards, vocals
- Martin Griffin– drums
- Marc Sperhawk – bass guitar
- Capt Al Bodi – drums
- Alan Davey – bass guitar
- Richard Chadwick – drums
- Kris Tait (Madam X) – crying
- Recorded at Rockfield Studios December 1981 to February 1982.
- Produced by Dr Technical, engineered by Pat Moran and Ashley Howe.
- Cover by Andrew Christian and Partridge/Rushton. Booklet illustrations by John Coulthart and Tim.
- Korg 700 Keyboard
- Korg Analogue Seq
- Korg MS20
- Korg Polyphonic
- Roland Jupiter 4
- Roland Sho9
- EMS Synthi
- 2 Roland 201 Space Echoes
- Koorlander Time Module
- Koorlander Multichorus Delay Module
- Westone Thunder HI Guitar
- Westone Padewak Guitar
- Westone Thunder 1Bass
- May 1982: RCA Active, RCALP9004 – initial copies came with a 12 page lyric book
- June 1994: Dojo, DOJOCD86, UK CD
- March 1994: Griffin Music, GN0932-2, USA CD
- April 2010: Atomhenge (Cherry Red) Records, ATOMCD1021, UK CD
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hawkwind — на рок фестивале в Доннингтоне, 1982 год … Википедия
Hawkwind (album) — Hawkwind Studio album by Hawkwind Released August 1970 … Wikipedia
Hawkwind — est un groupe de rock britannique des années 1970, qui a la particularité d avoir produit des disques de manière continue depuis sa création jusqu à nos jours. Le pivot du groupe est Dave Brock, le seul membre présent dans tous les disques.… … Wikipédia en Français
Hawkwind — Datos generales Origen Ladbroke Grove, Londres, Inglaterra I … Wikipedia Español
Church — may refer to: Contents 1 Religion 2 People 3 Places 4 Popular music 5 Other uses … Wikipedia
Hawkwind discography — Infobox Artist Discography Artist = Hawkwind Caption = Studio = 25 Live = 10 Compilation = 11 EP = 7 Singles = 25 B sides = Music videos = Video = Hawkwind s discography is complicated and large; this list mainly represents the core albums as… … Wikipedia
Hawkwind — Infobox musical artist Name = Hawkwind Img capt = Hawkwind at Rockfield Studios, 1972 Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Alias = Hawklords Psychedelic Warriors Sonic Assassins Hawkwind Zoo Origin = Ladbroke Grove, England Genre =… … Wikipedia
Hawkwind videography — The British space rock group Hawkwind have been active since 1969, but their earliest video release is Night Of The Hawk from their Earth Ritual Tour recorded at Ipswich on the 9th March 1984. Since then, there have been numerous video releases… … Wikipedia
Church — (iglesia en inglés) puede hacer referencia a: Contenido 1 Apellido 1.1 Personajes 2 Toponimia 3 Música 4 … Wikipedia Español
Дискография Hawkwind — Hawkwind Релизы ↙Студийные альбомы 25 ↙Концертные альбомы 9 … Википедия