Dornoch Scottish Gaelic: Dòrnach Scots: Dornach
Dornoch shown within the Sutherland area
Population 1,206  (2001 census) OS grid reference Council area Highland Lieutenancy area Sutherland Country Scotland Sovereign state United Kingdom Post town DORNOCH Postcode district IV25 Dialling code 01862 Police Northern Fire Highlands and Islands Ambulance Scottish EU Parliament Scotland UK Parliament Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross Scottish Parliament Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross Highlands and Islands List of places: UK • Scotland •
Dornoch ( //; Scottish Gaelic: Dòrnach pronounced [ˈt̪ɔːrˠn̪ˠəx]; Scots: Dornach) is a town and seaside resort, and former Royal burgh in the Highlands of Scotland. It lies on the north shore of the Dornoch Firth, near to where it opens into the Moray Firth to the east. The town is within the Highland local government council area, and within the former county of Sutherland.
The town is near the A9 road, to which it is linked by the A949 and the B9168.
Dornoch has the thirteenth-century Dornoch Cathedral, the Old Town Jail, and the previous Bishop's Palace which is now the well-known hotel, Dornoch Castle and a notable golf course, the Royal Dornoch Golf Club, named the 5th best golf course outside the United States in 2005 by Golf Digest magazine. It is also notable as the last place a witch was burnt in Scotland. Her name was Janet Horne; she was tried and condemned to death in 1727. There is a stone, the Witch's Stone, commemorating her death, inscribed with the year 1722. Legendary golf course designer Donald Ross began his career as a greenkeeper on the Royal Dornoch links.
Dornoch used to be connected to the main railway network at The Mound via a light railway. The railway was opened on 2 June 1902. Stations on the line were Dornoch, Embo, Skelbo, Cambusavie Halt and The Mound Junction. The stations were shut on 13 June 1960.
Dornoch was a parliamentary burgh, combined with Dingwall, Kirkwall, Tain and Wick in the Northern Burghs constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of Great Britain from 1708 to 1801 and of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1801 to 1918. Cromarty was added to the list in 1832.
The constituency was a district of burghs known also as Tain Burghs until 1832, and then as Wick Burghs. It was represented by one Member of Parliament. In 1918 the constituency was abolished and the Dornoch component was merged into the then new county constituency of Caithness and Sutherland.
- ^ Ainmean-Àite na h-Alba ~ Gaelic Place-Names of Scotland
- ^ Scots Language Centre: Scottish Place Names in Scots
- ^ "Comparative Population Profile: Dornoch Locality". Scotland's Census Results Online. 2001-04-29. http://www.scrol.gov.uk/scrol/browser/profile.jsp?profile=Population&mainArea=dornoch&mainLevel=Locality. Retrieved 2008-09-02.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dornoch — Koordinaten 57° 53′ N, 4° 2′ W … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dornoch F.C. — Dornoch F.C. are Scottish football club based in Dornoch. They compete in the North Caledonian Football League and play at The Meadows. The club is nicknamed the Zeebs because of their black and white strips resembling that of a zebra. Contents 1 … Wikipedia
Dornoch — DORNOCH, a royal burgh, the county town, and a parish, in the county of Sutherland, 201 miles (N. N. W.) from Edinburgh; containing 2714 inhabitants, of whom 451 are in the burgh. This place is supposed to have derived its name, Dor Neich,… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Dornoch — (Dornock), 1) (Frith of D.), Meerbusen der Nordsee an der Ostküste von Schottland, zwischen die Grafschaften Sutherland u. Roß einschneidend; 2) Hauptstadt der schottischen Grafschaft Sutherland am gleichnamigen Meerbusen, kleiner Hafen,… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Dornoch — Dornoch, Hauptstadt (royal burgh) der schott. Grafschaft Sutherland, am Firth of D., hat gotische Kathedrale (1835 erneuert) und Palast der Bischöfe von Caithneß (jetzt Sportgebäude), die ehedem hier wohnten. Die Bewohner, (1901) 624 an der Zahl … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Dornoch — (spr. nöck), Hauptort der schott. Grafsch. Sutherland, am D. Firth, (1901) 624 E., Kathedrale, Seebad … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Dornoch — (Dahrnök), schott. Stadt in der Grafschaft Sutherland, mit 3500 E., Hafen, prachtvoller Kathedrale … Herders Conversations-Lexikon
Dornoch — Original name in latin Dornoch Name in other language DOC, Dornoch State code GB Continent/City Europe/London longitude 57.8805 latitude 4.02879 altitude 13 Population 1261 Date 2011 03 03 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Dornoch — geographical name royal burgh N Scotland N of Inverness … New Collegiate Dictionary
DORNOCH — the county town of Sutherland, a small place, but a royal burgh; has a good golf course … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia