Infobox UK place
region=South West England
population=20,255 (2001)cite web
publisher=National Office of Statistics
title=Census 2001 Key Statistics for urban areas in England and Wales
website= [http://www.penzance-town-council.org.uk www.penzance-town-council.org.uk]
Penzance ( _kw. Pensans, also "Penzans", : IPA|/pɛnˈzæns/) is a town,
civil parish, and portin the Penwithdistrict of Cornwall, England, UK.
Royal Charters from 1512 onwards and incorporated in 1614, [ Penzance Charter of Incorporation dated 9 May 1614, held by Penzance Town Council ] it has a population of 20,255 people and is currently Penwith's principal town.
Situated in the shelter of
Mount's Bay, the town faces south-east onto the English Channel, is bordered to the west by the fishingport of Newlynand to the east by the civil parish of Ludgvan. The town's location gives it a temperateclimate that makes it warmer than most of the rest of Britain.
Penzance (Pensans), or "holy headland" in the Cornish language, is a reference to the location of the chapel of St. Anthony that stood over a thousand years ago on the headland to the west of what became Penzance Harbour. Until the 1930s this history was also reflected in the choice of
symbolfor the town, the severed 'holy head' of St. John the Baptist. It can still be seen on the civic regaliaof the Mayorof Penzance and on several important landmarks in the town. The only remaining object from this chapel is a carved figure which is now largely eroded known as 'St. Raffidy' which can be found in the churchyard of the parish church of Penzance, St. Mary's near the original site of the chapel.
Bronze and Iron Ages
Iron Agesettlement can be found in Penzance in a number of sites including Lescudjack Castle, an Iron Age settlement within the current Penzance parish boundaries.
Evidence of historical settlement from this period can be found in the St Clare area of the town, where a chapel not unlike St Anthony's existed dedicated to St. Clare or Cleer. Throughout the period prior to Penzance gaining borough status in 1614 the village and surrounding areas fell within the control of the
Manor of Alvertonand was subject to the taxation regime of that manor.
Although the first historical mention of Penzance (as a place for landing fish) was in 1322 in local manorial records, [ Extent of the property held by the Manor of Alverton and accounts transcribed by Mr Paul Brand from the original held in the National Archives ] the town was, until the 17th century, overshadowed by its near-neighbour
Marazion. (Marazion was recorded in the Domesday Bookof 1088 and is the oldest chartered town in Britain, having been granted this status by King Henry III in 1257.) In medieval times and later, Penzance was subject to frequent raiding by Turkish pirates. [Canon Diggens Archive 1910 ] The name of one of Penzance's oldest buildings 'The Turk's Head' pub is said to be a reference to these incidents. There is however, no written evidence to this effect.
Tudor and Stuart period
In the summer of 1578 Penzance was visited by the plague. The burial registers of Madron (where all Penzance births, deaths and marriages were recorded) shows a massive increase in deaths for 1578, from 12 the previous year to 155. This is estimated to be about 10% of the population of the village at the time. The plague also returned in 1647 and the registers again show an increase of from 22 burials to 217 in one year. [Notes on the Madron Parish Registers -Canon Jennings]
Being at the far west of England, Penzance and the surrounding villages have been sacked many times by foreign fleets. On July 23rd 1595, [ A History of the Church in Paul Parish by G. M. Trelease ] several years after the
Spanish Armadaof 1588, a Spanish force under Don Carlos de Amesquita, which had been patrolling the Channel, landed troops in Cornwall. Amesquita's force seized supplies, raided and burned Penzance and surrounding villages, held a mass, and sailed away before it could be confronted. A detailed description of the Spanish raid of 1595 can be found [http://west-penwith.org.uk/raid.htm here] .
Penzance as a town since 1614
The reason for Penzance's relative success probably stems from the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries when
Henry IV of Englandgranted the town a Royal Market. [ Grant of Market to Thomas Lord Berkley 8 April 1404 ] Henry VIII later granted the right to charge harbour dues, [ Grant of harbour dues Henry VIII 16 March 1512 ] and King James I granted it the status of a borough.
English Civil WarPenzance was sacked by the forces of Sir Thomas Fairfaxapparently for the kindness shown to Lord Goring and Lord Hoptons troops during the conflict [Topographical Dictionary of England—1831]
Penzance borough council undertook several major projects, including the building of the Market House (which was the home of the Corn Exchange and the then Guildhall), and the harbour, the first pier of which was built in 1512. [ cite book | last = Guthrie | first = A | title = Cornwall in the Age of Steam | publisher = Tabb House | date = 1994 | location = Padstow | id = ISBN 1-873951-16-7 ] The southern arm of the pier was built in 1766 and extended in 1785. [ cite book | last = Kittridge | first = Alan | title = Cornwall's Maritime Heritage | publisher = Twelveheads Press | date = 1989 | location = Truro | id = ISBN 0-906294-15-0 ]
Civil improvements in this period included the construction in 1759 of a reservoir which supplied water to public pumps in the streets. [ cite book | last = Bennett | first = Alan | title = Cornwall Through the Mid 19th Century | publisher = Kingfisher Railway Publications | date = 1987 | location = Southampton | id = ISBN 0-946184-26-7 ]
Penzance has a long-standing association with the local parish of
Madron. Madron Church was in fact the centre of most religious activity in the town until 1871, [The online parish clerk] when St. Mary's Church (prior to this period a Chapel of ease) was granted parish status by church authorities. In 1755 the Lisbon earthquakecaused a tsunamito strike the Cornish coast over 1,000 miles away. The sea rose eight feet in ten minutes at Penzance, and ebbed at the same rate. [ [http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm/index.cfm?articleid=5772] Sources of Cornish History - The Lisbon Earthquake]
At the start of the 19th century (1801), the town had a population of 2,248. The census, which is taken every ten years, recorded a peak population in 1861 of 3,843, but it then declined, as in most of Cornwall, through the remainder of the century, being just 3,088 in 1901. [ [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Penzance/index.html#Population UK & Ireland Genealogogy - Penzance] ]
By the time
Queen Victoriacame to the throne in 1837, Penzance had established itself as an important regional centre. The Royal Geological Society of Cornwallwas founded in the town in 1814 [ cite book | title = Murray's Handbook of Devon and Cornwall | publisher = John Murray | date = 1859 | location = London ] and about 1817 was responsible for introducing a miner's safety tamping bar, which attracted the Prince Regent to become its patron.
The pier had been extended again in 1812 and John Matthews opened a small dry dock in 1814, the first in the South West. In 1840 Nicholas Holman of St Just opened a branch of his foundry business on the quayside. [ cite journal | last = Carter | first = Clive | authorlink = | coauthors = | title = If it's metal take it to Holman's | journal = Archive | volume = 3 | pages = 49–64 | publisher = Lightmoor Press ] These facilities proved valuable in supporting the steamships that were soon calling at the harbour in increasing numbers.
Gas lighting was introduced in 1830 and the old Market House was demolished in 1836. Its replacement, designed by W. Harris of Bristol, was completed at the top of Market Jew Street in 1838. St Mary's Church, another prominent feature of the Penzance skyline, was completed in 1836, while a Roman
Catholicchurch was built in 1843. Another familiar building from this period is the eccentric "Egyptian House" in Chapel Street, built in 1830. The first part of the Promenade along the sea front dates from 1844.
After the passing of the Public Health Act (1848), Penzance was one of the first towns to petition to form a
local board of health, doing so in September that year. Following a report by a government inspector in February, the Board was established in 1849 which led to many facilities to enhance public health. The report [ cite book | last = Bennett | first = Alan | title = Cornwall Through the Mid Nineteenth Century | publisher = Kingfisher Railway Publications | date = 1987 | location = Southampton | id = ISBN 0-946184-26-7 ] shows that most streets were Macadamised or sometimes paved, and the town was lit by 121 gas lamps from October to March each year, although they were not lit when there was a full moon. Water was supplied from 6 public pumps, and there were a further 53 private wells. There were no sewage pipes at the time, waste being collected from the main streets by a refuse cart. Penzance railway station, the terminus of the West Cornwall Railway, opened on 11 March 1852cite book | last = Langley | first = RC | co-authors = Jenkins, SC | title = The West Cornwall Railway | publisher = Oakwood Press | date = 2002 | location = Usk | id = ISBN 0-85361-589-6 ] on the eastern side of the harbour, although trains only ran to Redruthat first. From 25 August 1852the line was extended to Truro, but the Cornwall Railwaylinking that place with Plymouthwas not opened until 4 May 1859. Passengers and goods had to change trains at Truro as the West Cornwall had been built using the RailGauge|ussg standard gauge, but the Cornwall Railway was built to the RailGauge|84 broad gauge. The West Cornwall Railway Act included a clause that it would be converted to broad gauge once it had been connected to another broad gauge line, but the company could not raise the funds to do so.
The line was sold to the
Great Western Railwayand its "Associated Companies" (the Bristol and Exeter Railwayand South Devon Railway) on 1 January 1866. The new owners quickly converted the line to mixed gauge using three rails so that both broad and "narrow" trains could operate. Broad gauge goods trains started running in November that year, with through passenger trains running to London from 1 March 1867. [ cite book | last = MacDermot | first = ET | title = History of the Great Western Railway, Vol. 2 1863 - 1921 | publisher = Great Western Railway| date = 1931 | location = London ] The last broad gauge train arrived at 8.49pm on 20 May 1892, having left London Paddingtonstation at 10.15 that morning. The two locomotives, numbers 1256 and 3557, took the carriages away to Swindon railway worksat 9.57, and all trains since have been standard gauge. [ cite journal | last = Sheppard | first = Geof | title = The Last Broad Gauge Train | journal = Broadsheet | volume = 47 | pages = 26–34 | publisher = Broad Gauge Society | date = 2002 ]
The ability of the railway to carry fresh produce to distant markets such as
Bristol, London and Manchesterenabled local farmers and fishermen to sell more produce and at better prices. The special "perishable" train soon became a feature of the railway, these being fast extra goods trains carrying potatoes, broccolior fish depending on the season. In August 1861 1,787 tons of potatoes, 867 tons of broccoli, and 1,063 tons of fish were dispatched from the station. cite book | last = Bennett | first = Alan | title = The Great Western Railway in West Cornwall | publisher = Runpast Publishing | date = 1988 | location = Cheltenham | doi = 1990 | id = ISBN 1-870754-12-3 ] Fruit and flowers were also carried, the mild climate around Penzance and on the Scilly Islesmeant that they were ready for market earlier and could command high prices.
The completion of the railway through Cornwall made it easier for tourists and invalids to enjoy the mild climate of Penzance. Bathing machines had been advertised for hire on the beach as early as 1823, [ cite book | last = Guthrie | first = A | title = Cornwall in the Age of Steam | publisher = Tabb House | date = 1994 | location = Padstow | id = ISBN 1-873951-16-7 ] and the town was already "noted for the pleasantness of its situation, the salubrity of its air, and the beauty of its natives". [ cite book | last = Stockdale | first = FWL | title = Excursions in the County of Cornwall | publisher = Simpkin and Marshall | date = 1824 | location = London (Reprinted by D Bradford Barton, Truro, 1972) ] The town's first official guide book was published in 1860 and the Queen's Hotel opened on the sea front the following year. It was so successful that it was extended in 1871 and 1908.
At the same time as the railway was being built more improvements were being made to the harbour, with a second pier on the eastern side of the harbour, the Albert Pier, completed in 1853 to provide even better shelter for shipping, [ cite book | last = Kittridge | first = Alan | title = Cornwall's Maritime Heritage | publisher = Twelveheads Press | date = 1989 | location = Truro | id = ISBN 0-906294-15-0 ] and a
lighthousebuilt on the Old Pier in 1855. The Scilly Isles Steam Navigation Company was founded in 1858 and placed in service the first steam ship on the route, "SS Little Western". In 1870 the new West Cornwall Steam Ship Companyjoined the route, taking over the Scilly Isles Company the following year. [ cite book | last = Duckworth | first = CLD | coauthors = Langmuir, GE | title = Railway and other Steamers | publisher = T Stephenson | date = 1948 | location = Preston | doi = 1968 ]
Penzance, with its dry dock and engineering facilities, was chosen as the western depot for
Trinity Housethat serviced all the lighthouses and lightships from Start Pointto Trevose Head. It was opened in 1866 adjacent to the harbour and the BuoyStore became the Trinity House National Lighthouse Museum until 2005 when Trinity House closed the museum.
In 1875 a local newspaper described the railway station as "a large dog's house of the nastiest and draughtiest kind" cite book | last = Bennett | first = Alan | title = The Great Western Railway in West Cornwall | publisher = Runpast Publishing | date = 1988 | location = Cheltenham | doi = 1990 | id = ISBN 1-870754-12-3 ] but a series of works improved this part of the town during the 1880s. The original station was rebuilt with the present buildings and
train shedover the platforms (1880). The lower end of Market Jew Street was widened and a new road was built to link the station with the harbour over the Ross Swing Bridge(1881), allowing the construction of proper sewers beneath. A larger dry dock replaced Matthews' original facility (1880), and a floating harbour was made (1884) with lock gates to keep in the water at low tide.
Around the headland, public baths were opened on the Promenade in 1887 and the Morrab Gardens with its sub-tropical plants was opened two years later. A bandstand was added to the gardens in 1897. cite book | last = Bennett | first = Alan | title = The Great Western Railway in West Cornwall | publisher = Runpast Publishing | date = 1988 | location = Cheltenham | doi = 1990 | id = ISBN 1-870754-12-3 ]
In 1901 the town had a population of 3,088 The census taken every ten years recorded a continuing decline in population until 1921, when just 2,616 people were recorded, after which it climbed rapidly to 4,888 (1931) then 5,545 (1951) - the population had more than doubled in twenty years and was now larger than at any time in the past. [ [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Penzance/index.html#Population UK & Ireland Genealogogy - Penzance ] (The census boundaries changed in 1981 so these figures do not directly compare with those stated for the current population)
A proposed electric
tramway along the Promenade to Newlyn, which would then have continued as a light railwayto St Just, failed to gain authorisation in 1898, instead motor buses were put into service on 31 October 1903. [ cite book | last = Kelley | first = Philip J | title = Road Vehicles of the Great Western Railway | publisher = Oxford Publishing | date = 1973 | location = Headington | id = ISBN 090288-12-9 ] These linked Penzance with Marazionand were operated by the Great Western Railway, being introduced only 11 weeks after the railway's pioneering service between Helstonand The Lizard. They were considered a success, carrying 16,091 passengers by the end of the year, so were followed the next spring by further routes to Land's Endand St Just. These services developed into the First Devon and Cornwall bus network that stills serves the area and is still centred on a terminus alongside Penzance railway station.
The dry dock was sold on
25 August 1904to N. Holman and Sons Limited, the engineering business that had been trading in Penzance since 1840. New workshops were built during the 1930s and the facility continued to provide facilities for the Scilly ferries and other merchant ships, as well as Trinity House, the Royal Navyand Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service. In 1951 a new vessel for the King Harry Ferryon the River Falwas launched, built on the keel of an old landing craft. In 1963 they even built a steam tug, the "Primrose". [ cite journal | last = Carter | first = Clive | title = If it's metal take it to Holman's | journal = Archive | volume = 3 | pages = 49–64 | publisher = Lightmoor Press ]
Land was reclaimed beside the Albert Pier in the 1930s to allow the railway station to be further enlarged at a cost of £134,000. cite book | last = Bennett | first = Alan | title = The Great Western Railway in West Cornwall | publisher = Runpast Publishing | date = 1988 | location = Cheltenham | doi = 1990 | id = ISBN 1-870754-12-3 ] The 1880 building was retained but extra platforms and sidings were provided to enable it to handle more perishable goods, and also the increasing numbers of tourists travelling to the area.
In 1905 a new bandstand had been built on the Promenade opposite the Queen's Hotel, and the Pavilion Theatre opened nearby in 1911, complete with a roof garden and cafe. [ cite book | last = Bennett | first = Alan | title = The Great Western Railway in West Cornwall | publisher = Runpast Publishing | date = 1988 | location = Cheltenham | doi = 1990 | id = ISBN 1-870754-12-3 ] Travel to Penzance was easier than ever, with the Great Western Railway introducing the "
Cornish Riviera Express" on 1 July 1904, which left London Paddingtonat 10:10 and arrived in Penzance just 7 hours later, two hours faster than the previous quickest service. [ cite book | last = Langley | first = RC | co-authors = Jenkins, SC | title = The West Cornwall Railway | publisher = Oakwood Press | date = 2002 | location = Usk | id = ISBN 0-85361-589-6 ] (In 2007 it leaves Paddington at 10:05 and takes 5 hours and 5 minutes.) The railway actively promoted local tourism with the production of postcards that were sold at its stations, and the annual publication of a guide book, "The Cornish Riviera", in which SPB Mais described it as "a suburb of Covent Garden, and a great fishing centre ... there is always something going on in its harbour". [ cite book | last = Mais | first = SPB | title = The Cornish Riviera | publisher = Great Western Railway| date = 1928 | location = London | doi = Third edition, 1934 ]
1923 had seen a new road link the harbour area and the Promenade, and in 1933 the St. Anthony Gardens were built, followed two years later by the Jubilee Bathing Pool opposite. Tourists could now make full use of the whole seafront between Penzance and Newlyn harbours.
Penzance is located approximately 5 miles (8 kilometres) from the end of the
A30 roadand 286 miles (460 km) or 5 hours [ Market Jew Street to Trafalgar Square, calculated using [http://www.theaa.com/travel/index.asp The AA Route Planner] ] by car from London. Penzance railway stationis situated at the bottom of Market Jew Street and close to the harbour. It is the western terminus of the Cornish Main Linewhich runs above the beach to Marazion, affording passengers good views of St. Michael's Mount and Mount's Bay. Most services [ [http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk/ldb/summary.aspx?T=PNZ Penzance railway station live departure information] ] are operated by First Great Western, both local services to St Erth, St Ives, Hayle, Camborne, Redruth, and Truro, and direct trains linking Penzance with Plymouth, Exeter St Davids, Bristol Temple Meads, Reading and London Paddington. The " Night Riviera" train offers an overnight sleeping carservice to and from Reading and London. Journey time to Plymouth is typically under 2 hours; to Bristol around 4 hours, and London less than 5½ hours. CrossCountryrun a small number of services (departing in the morning, returning in the evening) via Bristol and Birmingham New Street to Glasgow Central via Preston and Carlisle, also to Dundee via Leeds, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh Waverley. The journey time to Birmingham is just under 5½ hours, and nearly 10 hours to Glasgow.
The bus and coach station is adjacent to the railway station from where
National Expressoperates coach services to London Victoria(taking around 9 hours) via Heathrow Airport. Local bus services run by First Devon and Cornwall connect Penzance with most major settlements in Cornwall, including Truro, St. Ives, St Just, St Buryan, Land's End, and also Plymouthin Devon.
A ferry service is operated between Penzance Harbour and the
Isles of Scillyby "The Scillonian III", carrying both foot-passengers and cargo. Sailing time is approximately 2 hours and 40 minutes. Alternatively, a passenger helicopterservice operates from Penzance Heliportto the Isles of Scilly[ [http://www.islesofscillyhelicopter.com/] Isles of Scilly helicopter homepage] run by British International Helicopters. Flying time is approximately 20 minutes. A bus service run by the Skybus Airline Service connects with Land's End Airportfor fixed wing flights (15 minutes) to the Isles of Scilly. This service operates from the railway station, near the taxi rank, rather than the bus station. Newquay Airport[ [http://www.newquay-airport.co.uk/] Newquay Airport ] is 41 miles (66 km) away and offers flights to Gatwick, Stansted Dublin and Cork airports. Plymouth Airport[ [http://www.plymouthairport.com/] Plymouth Airport ] is 77 miles (124 km) away has services to Gatwick, Bristol, Dublin and Manchester airports.
Politics and government
coat of arms1614 - 1934 now the Mayoral Seal ] Until 1934 the Boroughof Penzance referred only to the town, but has since been extended to include the nearby settlements of Newlyn, Mousehole, Gulvaland Heamoor. The Civil Parishof Penzance was further extended in 2004 under District of Penwith (Electoral Changes) Order 2002 [ [http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20022593.htm The District of Penwith (Electoral Changes) Order 2002 ] ] to include Eastern Green, formerly part of the Ludgvancivil parish area.
In 1974 the Penzance Borough was abolished and replaced, first by the Penzance
Charter Trusteesand then from 1980 by Penzance Town Council. The principal local authorities in the area are now PenwithDistrict Council and CornwallCounty Council. For the purposes of election to the Cornwall County Council, Penzance returns 3 councillors to the Penzance Electoral Division.
Penzance Town Council does not have in place a system of political registration so councillors do not form groups of any kind and technically act independently, however the current political composition of the council (as of
3 May 2007) is as follows: independent 10, Liberal Democrats7, Mebyon Kernow3. Nine won by election and 11 were elected unopposed.
Penzance also elects a mayor every year in May from the members of Penzance town council. Although mayors have a political affiliation, this position is largely ceremonial.
The current mayor-elect is Roy Mann an Independent and the deputy mayor-elect is Richard Clark, of
The economy of Penzance has, like many Cornish communities, suffered from the decline of the traditional Cornish industries of fishing, mining and agriculture. Penzance now has a mixed economy consisting of light industrial, tourism and retail businesses. However, like the rest of
Cornwall, housing remains comparatively expensive, wages low and unemployment high within the parish area. House prices have risen 274% in 10 years the fastest rise in the UK. [ BBC article 27th of October 2007, House price report] The fishing port of Newlyn, which falls within the parish boundaries, provides some employment in the area, but has also been greatly affected by the decline in the fishing industry over the last 30 years. In the 2004 index of deprivation Penzance is listed as having 3 wards within the top 10% percent for employment deprivation, Penzance East (125th most deprived in England) Penzance West (200th most deprived in England), Penzance Central (712th most deprived in England) [2004 indices of deprivation - Employment deprivation index] 18-31% of households in the parish being described as "poor households".Bristol University regional poverty files - West Cornwall] The Penzance East Ward also has one the highest unemployment rates in Cornwall stated as 15.4%.Bristol University regional poverty files - West Cornwall]
Sir Humphry Davy’s contribution to the mining industry, The Miners' Association began miningclasses in Penzance. As mining in the area became more complex the Penzance Mining and Science School was founded in 1890. The school continued to teach mining until 1910 when it was amalgamated with Camborne and Redruth Mining School forming the School of Metalliferous Miningin Camborne, which is now known as the Camborne School of Mines. This institution has now moved to the Combined Universities in Cornwallcampus at Tremough, Falmouth. Penzance from 1663 [ Coinage charter granted by Charles II 18 August 1663] was a coinage town, responsible for the collection of tin taxation on behalf of the Duchy of Cornwallit held this status for 176 years. [ PAS Pool History of the Borough and Town of Penzance 1974 page 74] According to William Pryce in his 1778 book "Mineralogia Cornubiensis" Penzance coined more tin than the towns of Liskeard, Lostwithiel, and Helstonput together. Penzance also had its own sub-marine mine situated off the coast of the town next to the area known as Wherrytown. The mine known as 'Wheal' Wherry was worked from the period 1778 to 1798 and again from 1836 to 1840. [Mines and Miners Of Cornwall Vol 4. pages 17-21] Founded by "a poor 57 year old miner" named Thomas Curtis, the mine was said to be "very rich at depth" and was connected to the shore by a wooden bridge; the ore being transported by Wherryboat. The mine suffered considerable damage in 1798 when an American ship broke anchor off nearby Newlynand smashed into the bridge and head gear. Later attempts at mining were not as profitable. [ Mindat.org mine information [http://www.mindat.org/loc-1109.html] ] During the 19th century and until 1912, Penzance had the largest tin smeltinghouse in Cornwall, operated by the Bolitho family. The smelting works were situated at Chyandour. [PAS Pool history of the town and Borough of Penzance 1974] As a consequence of this concentration of mining wealth Penzance also became a centre for commercial banking. The Bolitho Bank (now part of Barclays Bank) [Company History Barclays PLC Website] and the Penzance Bank were two of the largest, although the latter collapsed in 1896.
[ The History of the Town and Borough of Penzance 1974 PAS Pool - Review of Architecture] who wrote, in 1963: There are three large residential
council estates in Penzance: Penalverne, Treneere(both built in the 1930s) and the Princess Royal estate at Alverton (built in the early 1950s). Much of the housing with this area is owned and operated by Penwith Housing Association. The sub-tropical Morrab Gardens, has a large collection of tender trees and shrubs, many of which cannot be grown outdoors anywhere else in the UK.Penzance Regency and Georgian terraces and houses are common in some parts of the town.Penzance's former main street Chapel Street has a number of interesting features including the Egyptian House, The Union Hotel (including a Georgian theatrewhich is no longer in use) and The Branwell House, where the mother and aunt of the famous Brontë sisters once lived.
Also of interest is the seafront with its
promenadeand the open-air seawater Jubilee Bathing Pool (one of the oldest surviving Art Decoswimming baths in the country), built at the beginning of the 20th century during Penzance's heyday as a fashionable seaside resort. The pool was designed by Captain F. Latham, the Penzance Borough Engineer and opened in 1935, the year of King George V's Silver Jubilee. [Janet SmithLiquid Assets - the lidos and open air swimming pools of Britain ISBN 0954744500] Penzance promenade itself has been destroyed in parts several times by storms. The most recent example was on the 7th of March 1962 (Ash Wednesday), when large parts of the western end of the promenade, the nearby Beford Bolitho Gardens (now a play park) and the village of Wherrytown suffered severe damage. [History of the town and Borough of Penzance]
Penlee Quarry which is within the boundaries of the Penzance parish is a geological
Penzance is home to two state run
comprehensive schools (Mount's Bay and Humphry Davy School) and one Church of Englandindependent school (Bolitho School). Bolitho School was founded in the early 1990s following the financial collapse of the former School of St. Clare. Post 16 education is catered for by Penwith College, founded in 1981 from the sixth form departments of the former Penzance Girls' Grammar Schooland the Humphry Davy Grammar School. [ West Penwith Resources Schools [http://west-penwith.org.uk/schools.htm] ] Throughout the Penzance parish there are 8 primary schoolsincluding the newly created Pensans Primary School which was formed in 2006 from the former Penzance Junior Schooland the Lescudjack Infants School. There is also a special educational needs school within the parish boundary named Nancealverne.
Every June since 1991, the
Golowan Festival(which includes Mazey Day) has been held in the town. Before the 1930s Penzance was the scene of large May Day celebrations, which saw local children making and using tin 'May horns' and 'May whistles'a small revival of these traditions will take place on May 4th 2008. The Feast Dayof Corpus Christi was also celebrated in Penzance. The Corpus Christi fair has been a long standing event in the town, and is currently undergoing attempts to revive it in a more traditional format. Allantide, a Cornish version of Halloween, was also a popular activity in the town. Many of these customs were recorded by local antiquarian M. A. Courtney and have influenced historical views of traditional Cornish cultural activities.
Every December Penzance holds the
Montol Festivala community arts event reviving many of the Cornish customs of Christmas including Guise dancing.
Music and theatre
Penzance is the home of the
pirates in Gilbert and Sullivan's opera " The Pirates of Penzance". At the time the libretto was written, 1879, Penzance had long been a peaceful town, so the very idea of it being overrun by pirates was amusing.
Penzance is home to the Acorn Theatre sited within a former Methodist chapel. The theatre provides a mixture of theatre, film, dance music and cabaret and is partially public funded. The Savoy is an independent cinema located in the town which opened in 1912 and was originally named the Victoria Hall Music Hall, The Savoy is one of the locations of performances sponsored by the Penwith Film Society (an arts cinema society based in the Penwith area). It is reputedly the oldest continuously used cinema in Britain. Prior to World War II, Penzance was also home to a further 3 cinemas and at least 2 theatres, one of which, the Pavilion Theatre, is now home to an amusement arcade.
Penzance is home to the new
Newlyn Art Galleryestablishment "The Exchange" which opened in 2007. Penzance is also the home of Penlee House, an art galleryand museumnotable for its collection of paintings by members of the Newlyn School. Within Penzance town centre there are a growing number of commercial art galleries.
Like other Cornish towns
Methodismis the predominant Christian denomination. Prior to the 1980s Penzance had six Methodist churches, but this number has now been reduced to three. Penzance is also home to a Salvation Armycitadel, a Roman Catholic church, two Church of Englandparish churches (formerly three), a Christadelphianmeeting hall, [cite web |url=http://www.ukchristadelphians.org.uk/info.asp?act=ecc&id=207 |title=Find your Local Christadelphians: Penzance |accessdate=2007-02-14 ] two Evangelical independent churches, the Penwith paganmoot, an independent Baptistchurch and a Buddhistmeditation group.
Penzance was, until recently, the home of Cornwall's most successful rugby team, the Penzance Pirates (Penzance and Newlyn RFC). The National Division 1 side relocated to Truro in 2005 in a bid to reach the Premiership and was renamed as the
Cornish Pirates. In 2006 the side relocated again this time to the home ground of CamborneRugby Club. Penzance is also home to Mount's Bay RFCa new rugby club founded in 1999. As at 2008 this team plays in National League 3 South.
Englandand Surrey cricketer Jack Richards(born Clifton James Richards) was born in Penzance. Although he only played 8 test matches, Richards was the wicket keeperduring England's Ashes win in 1986.
Mini Transat 6.50(now the Transit 6.50) transatlantic yacht race started from Penzance (hosted by Penzance Sailing Club) from its conception in 1977 to the fourth edition of the race in 1983.
The local newspaper is
The Cornishman, published weekly. Both ITV television( Westcountry Television) and BBC Radio Cornwallhave small news studios in the town.
Notable residents past and present
Sir Humphry Davy
Penzance was the birthplace of the famous chemist Sir
Humphry Davy. Davy was President of the Royal Societyand invented the process of electrolysis, was the first person to isolate sodium, as well as proving (with Michael Faraday) that diamonds are made of pure carbon. Today he is possibly best known as the inventor of the Miner's Safety Lamp, or Davy Lamp. There is a statue of Davy at the top of Market Jew Street, near the house in which he was born. One of Penzance's secondary schools is also named after the scientist [http://www.humphry-davy.cornwall.sch.uk/] .
Penzance is twinned with the following towns [Information supplied by Penzance Concarneau Twinning Assocciation Chair Mrs D Cotton and The Penzance, Bendigo and Nevada City Twinning Association]
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
* Nevada City,
From 1967 to 1974 Penzance was twinned with
Cuxhaven, GermanyThis twinning arrangement was passed to the PenwithDistrict in 1974. On March 31 2009 this arrangement will be passed back again to Penzance.
List of topics related to Cornwall
The Pirates of Penzance
* [http://www.purelypenzance.co.uk/ Purely Penzance Online Information] - The most up to date guide on life in Penzance
* [http://www.picturepenzance.co.uk/ Picture Penzance online pictorial]
* [http://wikitravel.org/en/Penzance/ Penzance - Wikitravel]
* [http://morrablibrary.co.uk/ Morrab Library]
* [http://www.oldcornwall.org/penzance_ocs_book.htm Penzance OCS]
* [http://www.pznow.co.uk/ Penzance Online]
* [http://www.golowan.org/ Official Website of the Golowan Festival]
* [http://www.cornish-pirates.com/PZN/index.htm Penzance & Newlyn RFC]
* [http://www.mountsbay-rfc.co.uk/ Mounts Bay RFC]
* [http://cornovia.org.uk/cpc/cpc_penzance.html Postcards of the Penzance Area]
* [http://www.penzance-town-council.org.uk Penzance Town Council]
* [http://crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/dserve/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Overview.tcl&dsqSearch=((text)='penzance') Cornwall Record Office Online Catalogue for Penzance]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Penzance — Penzance … Deutsch Wikipedia
Penzance — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda … Wikipedia Español
Penzance — Penzance … Wikipédia en Français
Penzance F.C. — Penzance F.C. is a football club based in Penzance, Cornwall in the United Kingdom. They were established in 1888 and were founding members of the South Western League in 1951, and maintained membership of that league until 2007 when they joined… … Wikipedia
PENZANCE — PENZANCE, seaport in S.W. England. Jews trading with the fleet settled here in the mid 18th century and a small community was formed. In 1807 a synagogue was built in New Street, under the auspices of the merchant and distiller Lemon Hart… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Penzance — (spr. pĕnsänß), Stadt (municipal borough) in der englischen Grafschaft Cornwall, an der Mount s Bay, die westlichste Stadt Englands, ihres milden Klimas wegen berühmt, hat (1901) 13,136 Einw. In den Public Buildings befinden sich die Museen des… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Penzance — (spr. sännß), südwestlichste Stadt Englands, in der Grafsch. Cornwall, an der Mountsbai, (1901) 13.123 E.; Ausfuhr von Kupfer und Zinn … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Penzance — [pen zæns], Hafenstadt und Seebad in der County Cornwall, Südwestengland, an der Mount s Bay, 19 500 Einwohner; geologisches Museum; Zentrum eines Frühgemüse , Blumenzucht und Obstbaugebietes. … Universal-Lexikon
Penzance — place in Cornwall, Pensans (late 13c.), lit. Holy Headland, from Cornish penn head + sans holy … Etymology dictionary
Penzance — [pen zans′] city in SW Cornwall, England, on the English Channel: pop. (1981 census) 19,000 … English World dictionary