- Vernacular photography
: "concerned with ordinary domestic and functional buildings rather than the essentially monumental." Examples of vernacular photographs include travel and vacation photos, family snapshots, photos of friends, class portraits, identification photographs, and photobooth images. Vernacular photographs are types of accidental art, in that they often are unintentionally artistic.Closely related to vernacular photography is "
found photography," which in one sense refers to the recovery of a "lost," unclaimed, or discarded vernacular photograph or snapshot. Found photos are often found at flea markets, thrift and secondhand stores, yard sales, estate and tag sales, in dumpsters and trash cans, between the pages of books, or on streets and sidewalks.
The use of vernacular photography in the arts is almost as old as photography itself. Vernacular photography has become far more commonplace in recent years as an art technique and is now a widely accepted genre of art photography.
Vernacular photographs also have become popular with art collectors and with collectors of found photographs.
* [http://www.accidentalmysteries.com/ Accidental Mysteries] Collection of John and Teenuh Foster
* [http://ampersandvintage.com/ Ampersand Vintage Website]
* [http://www.bighappyfunhouse.com/ Bighappyfunhouse: Found Photos - Free Pie]
* [http://www.bu.edu/art/webPages/vernacular/index.html Boston University] Vernacular Reframed: An exhibition and conference on vernacular photography
* [http://www.bu.edu/art/webPages/vernacSpec.html Boston University] In the Vernacular: Everyday Photographs from the Rodger Kingston Collection
* [http://community.livejournal.com/foundphotos/ Found Photos on Livejournal] A collaborative found photography project
* [http://www.gargantuaphotos.com/ Gargantua Photos]
* [http://spackle.saysomethingcryptic.com/ Laughter is the Spackle of the Soul ] A gallery of found photos and lost memories, 6 photos added per month
* [http://www.leastwanted.net Least Wanted: a century of american mugshots]
* [http://www.fredericbonn.com/misc/look_at_me/ Look at Me: A Collection of Found Photos]
* [http://museumofvernacularphotography.com/ Museum Of Vernacular Photography] Exhibitions Exploring The Depth And Scope Of Vernacular Photography.
* [http://www.dynamictension.net/Notebook/index.htm The Secret Notebooks] A Story From Found Photographs
* [http://www.spillway.com/ Spillway] Categorized Found Photographs and Printed Matter
* [http://squareamerica.com/ Square America ] A gallery of vintage snapshots and vernacular photography.
* [http://www.vintagepixels.com/ Vintage Pixels] A collaborative database of found vintage photos. Free for use in amateur and commercial projects.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Photography — is the art, science and practice of creating durable images by recording light or other electromagnetic radiation, either electronically by means of an image sensor or chemically by means of a light sensitive material such as photographic… … Wikipedia
Vernacular architecture — is a term used to categorize methods of construction which use locally available resources and traditions to address local needs and circumstances. Vernacular architecture tends to evolve over time to reflect the environmental, cultural and… … Wikipedia
Vernacular culture — is a term used in the modern study of geography and cultural studies. It refers to cultural forms made and organised by ordinary people for their own pleasure, in modern societies. Such culture is almost always engaged in on a non profit and… … Wikipedia
Photography and the law — A No Photography sign, commonly placed in properties where the owner objects to or it is illegal to take photographs (though in some jurisdictions, this is not a legal requirement). Photography tends to be protected by the law through copyright… … Wikipedia
Topic outline of photography — Photography is the process of making pictures by means of the action of capturing light on a film. Light patterns reflected or emitted from objects are recorded onto a sensitive medium or storage chip through a timed exposure. The process is done … Wikipedia
Found photography — is a genre of photography and/or visual art based on the recovery (and possible exhibition) of lost, unclaimed, or discarded photographs. It is related to vernacular photography, but differs in the fact that the presenter or exhibitor of the… … Wikipedia
Portal:Photography — Wikipedia portals: Culture Geography Health History Mathematics Natural sciences People Philosophy Religion Society Technology … Wikipedia
Outline of photography — The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to photography: Photography – the process of making pictures by the action of recording Light patterns, reflected or emitted from objects, on a photosensitive medium or a… … Wikipedia
Snapshot (photography) — A snapshot is popularly defined as a photograph that is shot spontaneously and quickly, most often without artistic or journalistic intent. Snapshots are commonly considered to be technically imperfect or amateurish out of focus or poorly framed… … Wikipedia
Infrared photography — Top: tree photographed in the near infrared range. Bottom: same tree in the visible part of the spectrum … Wikipedia