- O'Conor Don
The O'Conor Don ( _ga. Ó Conchubhair Donn) is the hereditary chieftain of the traditional royal family of Connacht, one of the premier
Irish Royal Familiesa lineage which is descended through sixty-six generations providing some twenty-seven Kings of Connachtand numerous High Kings of Ireland.
The O'Conor Don was a lordship of one of the three main lines of the O'Conor ("Ó Conchobhair") family of Connacht. Many of its leaders were
High Kings of Ireland. Well into the 1400s members of their dynasty were recognised as half-kings, or full Kings of Connacht. The succession of descent continues unbroken from 76AD to the present day, making it one of oldest royal families in Europe. The O'Conor Don is regarded as the senior hereditary chieftain of Ireland and has been styled the O'Conor Don since the fourteenth century.
According to the obituary published in the
Irish Timeson 22 July 2000, "it is generally acknowledged that the holder of the title would be the foremost claimant to the Irish throne, if one were proposed. Over the last few hundred years, members of the O'Conor family have continued to contribute to the social, political, cultural and religious life of Ireland. The fact that they remained staunchly Catholic during the dark days of the Penal Lawsin the eighteenth century, is a source of great pride."
The present holder of the title is
Desmond O'Conor Don.
Clonalis House, the ancestral home of the O'Conor Don Family passed to Gertrude O'Conor-Nash on the death of her brother The Rev Charles O'Conor Don SJ in 1981. On her death in 1994 Clonalis passed to her only son Pyers. Clonalis House with its highly important collect of archives and library is now the residence of Pyers, his wife Marguerite and their three children, Barbara, Richard, and Letitia.
The O'Conor Dons 1406-2006
* Toirdhealbhach Óg Donn mac Aodha meic Toirdhealbhaigh, d. 9th December 1406.
* Cathal mac Ruaidhri Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 19th March 1439.
* Aodh mac Toirdhealbhaigh Óig Ó Conchobhair Donn, d.15th May 1461.
* Feidhlimidh Geangcach mac Toirdhealbhaigh Óig Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1474.
* Tadhg mac Eoghain Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1476.
* Eoghan Caoch mac Feidhlimidh Gheangcaigh Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1485.
* Aodh Og mac Aodh Ó Conchobhair Donn, died ?
* Toirdhealbhach Óg mac Ruaidhri Ó Conchobhair Donn, d.1503
* Conchobhar mac Eoghain Chaoich Ó Conchobhair Donn, d.?
* Cairbre mac Eoghain Chaoich Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1546.
* Aodh mac Eoghain Chaoich Ó Conchobhair Donn, deposed 1550.
* Diarmaid mac Cairbre Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1585.
* Sir Hugh/Aedh Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1632.
* An Calbhach mac Aedh Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1654; last inaugurated king, in 1643.
* Hugh Óg mac Aedh Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1662.
* Major Owen O'Conor Don of Belangare, d.s.p.m. 1692
* Cathal Óg O'Conor Don of Belangare, d. 1696.
* Denis O'Conor Don, 1674-1750.
* Charles O'Conor Don, 1710-1791.
* Denis O'Conor Don of Belangare, 1732-1804
* Owen O'Conor Don of Clonalis, 1763-1831
* Matthew O'Conor Don, 1773-1844; popularly inaugurated in 1830's.
* Denis O'Conor Don of Clonalis, 1794-1847
* Charles Owen O'Conor Don, 1838-1906.
* Charles O'Conor Don, 1869-1917.
* Owen Phelim O'Conor Don, 1870-1943
* Fr. Charles O'Conor Don, 1906-1981
Denis O'Conor Don, 1912- 10th July 2000
* Desmond O'Conor Don (Chairman of the British-Chile Chamber of Commerce, former banker, resides in Sussex)
Sir Hugh/Aedh Ó Conchobhair Donn mac Diarmada mac Cairbre, d. 1627. = Mary ni Brian Ó Rourke, King of Breifne
Calvach Hugh Óg Cathal (1597-1634) Bryan Roe = Anne Mulloy
Major Owen of Belangare Cathal Óg of Belangare dspm 1692 = Finola ni Fhlionn of Ballinlough
Denis O'Conor Don (1674-1750) = Máire ni Colonel Tiernan Ó Rourke
| | | |
| | | |
Daniel Thomas Charles (1710-91) Hugh Elinor Anne d. 1769 Officer = Catherine ni Fagan in France
| | | |
| | | |
Dominick Alexander Jane Denis O'Conor Don Charles Bridget d.1777 dsp 1795 d. unm 1820 (1732-1804) = Myles MacDermot = Catherine Browne of Cloonfad
| | | |
| | | |
Owen O'Conor Don Rev. Charles Matthew O'Conor Don Catherine Mary Elizabeth (1763-1831) (1773-1844) = Jane Moore of Mount Browne
Denis O'Conor Don Edward Jane Catherine (1794-1847) = Mary Blake of Tower Hill
Charles Owen O'Conor Don Denis Maurice, M.P. (1838-1906) (1840-1883) = Georgina Perry
| | | |
| | |
Charles O'Conor Don Owen Phelim O'Conor Don Charles Hugh Roderick Charles William (1869-1917) (1870-1943) (1872-1939) (1872-3) (1878-1963) = Ellen More Ó Ferrall = Evelyn Lowry-Corry
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
Rev. Charles Mary Gertrude Eva Josephine Helen Fearga Georgina Denis Armar O'Conor Don 1912-2000 O'Conor Don d.1953 d.1994 d.1989 d.1980 b.1910 d.1986 b.1916 =Elizabeth Marris =Rosemay O'Connell Hewett
Desmond Roderick O'Conor Don Kieran Rory Gail =Virginia Williams d. aged 13
Emma Joy Philip Hugh Denise Sarah =Rebecca Eagan ______________|_____________________
Eochy Piers Adelaide Barley
Irish Royal Families
Chiefs of the Name
Chief Herald of Ireland
* "A New History of Ireland",
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Denis O'Conor Don — Denis Armar O Conor Don, (1912–10 July 2000) was hereditary chief of the O Conor Don sept of Ireland. Born in London in 1912 to Charles William O Conor and Evelyn Lowry Corry, he inherited his title in 1981 from his second cousin Fr. Charles O… … Wikipedia
Conor Oberst — in August 2009 Background information Birth name Conor Mullen Oberst … Wikipedia
Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band — at the Leeds Festival, 22nd August 2008. Background information Ori … Wikipedia
Don't Be Frightened of Turning the Page — EP by Bright Eyes Released 2001 Genre Emo, indie Don t Be Frightened of Turning the Page is an EP by Nebraska … Wikipedia
Conor Oberst (album) — Conor Oberst Studio album by Conor Oberst Released August 5, 2008 … Wikipedia
Conor O'Brien — (1880 1952) was an intellectual, Irish aristocrat, republican, nationalist, pioneer in modern maritime theory, owner and captain of one of the first boats to sail under the tri colour of the Irish Free State (during his circumnavigation in the… … Wikipedia
Don't Steal Our Sun — Single by The Thrills from the album So Much for the City Released … Wikipedia
Conor Friedersdorf — is an American journalist and an staff writer at The Atlantic. He lives in Venice California. Controversial quote On October 14, 2011, Conor Friedersdorf wrote an article for The Atlantic criticizing the Occupy Wall Street Movement for… … Wikipedia
Don DeLillo — DeLillo in New York City, January 2011. Born November 20, 1936 (1936 11 20) (age 75) New York City Occupation … Wikipedia
Don Bosco Preparatory High School — For schools of a similar name, see Don Bosco School. Don Bosco Preparatory High School Address 492 North Franklin Turnpike Ramsey, NJ (Bergen County), 07446 Coordinates … Wikipedia