- House of Nemanjić
surname = House of Nemanja
estate = of Rascia, Doclea (Zeta), Travunia, Dalmatia and Zachlumia
coat of arms =
Grand Prince(Велики Жупан/Veliki Župan), King (Краљ/Kralj), Emperor/ Tsar(Цар/Car)
parent house =
House of Vukanović/ House of Urošević/Urošević
final ruler =
current head = extinct
founding year =
nationality = Serbian
cadet branches = House of Miroslav (House of Nikolić)The House of Nemanjić (Serbian: Немањићи, "Nemanjići";
Anglicised: "Nemanyid"; German: "Nemanjiden") was a medieval Serbian ruling dynasty.
The "Stefan" dynasty - House of Nemanjić was named after
Stefan Nemanja. It was descended from the cadet line of the House of Vojislavljević. The House of Nemanjić produced eleven Serbian monarchs between 1166and 1371.
After Stefan Nemanja had taken "Stefan" as his name, all the subsequent monarchs of the house used it as sort of title. Soon it became inseparable from the monarchy, and all claimants denoted their royal pretensions by using the same name, in front of their original names.
Rulers of this dynasty wore the titles "Grand Princes of
Rascia" from 1166. After the crowning of Stefan the First-Crowned in 1217, the full title of the dynasty was "King of the land of Rascia, Doclea, Travunia, Dalmatiaand Zachlumia", although a shorter version of the title was "King of the Serbs". Following the elevation of members of the dynasty to the status of Emperors in 1346, the title became " Tsarof All Serbs, Albanians, Greeksand Bulgarians".
The family crest was a
bicephalicargent eagle on a red shield, inherited from the Byzantine Paleologusdynasty.
The House of Nemanjić ruled the
Serb landsbetween c. 1166and 1371.
Compared with other dynasties of Serbian lands, which usually lost their position in much less than a century, the Nemanjićs were exceptionally mighty and well-sustained ruling dynasty, and its legacy is respected among Serbs.
Stefan Nemanjaalso "Stefan I, Nemanja" (ca 1166- 1199)
Vukan II Nemanjić(1196 - 1208)
* Stefan Prvovenčani (Stefan the Firstcrowned) also "Stefan II, Nemanja" (
1199- 1228), eldest son of Stefan Nemanja
Đorđe Nemanjić(1208 - 1243), Ruler of Zeta
Stefan Radoslav( 1228- 1233)
Stefan Vladislav I( 1234- 1243)
Stefan Uroš I( 1243- 1276)
Stefan Dragutin( 1276- 1282)
* Stefan (Uroš II) Milutin (
Stefan Vladislav II( 1321- about 1325)
* Stefan (Uroš III) Dečanski (
* Stefan (Uroš IV) Dušan (Dušan the Mighty) (
1331- 1355), King of Serbia ( 1331- 1346); "Tsar of Serbs and Greeks" ( 1346- 1355)
Stefan Uroš V(Uroš the Weak) ( 1355- 1371), tsar
* Tsar Simeon-Siniša of Epirus (
1359- 1370), son of Stefan Uroš III and the Greek Princess
Jovan Urošof Epirus ( 1370- 1373), son of Simeon-Siniša; is the very last ruler of Epirus
The current Royal House of Serbia, the Karađorđević dynasty, regards itself as the successor of the House of Nemanjić.
List of Serbian monarchs
House of Vojislavljević
House of Kotromanić
History of Serbia
History of Montenegro
History of Herzegovina
History of Dalmatia
Nemanjić family tree
* [http://www.rodoslovlje.com/medieval_serbia/eng/families-nemanjics.htm Medieval Serbia - The Nemanjics]
* [http://www.rs.risjak.net/chilandar/Nemanjic.html Chilandar - Nemanjic Dynasty]
* [http://www.njegos.org/medieval/nemanjic.htm Serb Land of Montenegro - The Sacronist Nemanjic Dynasty]
* [http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SERBIA.htm#_Toc105321916 Foundation for Medieval Genealogy - Serbia - Grand Zupan of Serbia, 1166-1217, Nemanjic dynasty] , [http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SERBIA.htm#_Toc105321919 Chapter 3 - Kings of Serbia 1217-1346, Tsars of Serbia 1346-1371, Nemanjic dynasty]
* Serbian Unity Congress - Serbian Medieval History. Nemanjic Dynasty: [http://www.suc.org/culture/history/Serb_History/Rulers/Stefan_Nemanja.html Stefan Nemanja] , [http://www.suc.org/culture/history/Serb_History/Rulers/Stefan_Prvovencani.html Stefan Prvovencani (the First-crowned)] , [http://www.suc.org/culture/history/Serb_History/Rulers/Stefan_Uros_I.html Stefan Uros I] , [http://www.suc.org/culture/history/Serb_History/Rulers/Stefan_Dragutin.html Stefan Dragutin] , [http://www.suc.org/culture/history/Serb_History/Rulers/Stefan_Uros_II_Milutin.html Stefan Uros II Milutin] , [http://www.suc.org/culture/history/Serb_History/Rulers/Stefan_Uros_III_Decanski.html Stefan Uros III Decanski] , [http://www.suc.org/culture/history/Serb_History/Rulers/Stefan_Dusan.html Stefan Uros IV Dusan] , [http://www.suc.org/culture/history/Serb_History/Rulers/Stefan_Uros.html Stefan Uros V]
* [http://genealogy.euweb.cz/balkan/balkan5.html Genealogy of the Nemanjiden]
* [http://www.rastko.org.yu/istorija/loza_nemanjica/index.html Holy bloodline of Stefan Nemanja] by
* History of the Serb People (Third Age) by
Vladimir Ćorović. [http://www.rastko.org.yu/rastko-bl/istorija/corovic/istorija/3_1_l.html Stephen Nemanya] , [http://www.rastko.org.yu/rastko-bl/istorija/corovic/istorija/3_2_l.html The Latin Empire and the creation of the Serb Kingdom] , [http://www.rastko.org.yu/rastko-bl/istorija/corovic/istorija/3_3_l.html Serbian interregnums] , [http://www.rastko.org.yu/rastko-bl/istorija/corovic/istorija/3_4_l.html Western Orientation in Serbia] , [http://www.rastko.org.yu/rastko-bl/istorija/corovic/istorija/3_5_l.html Serbia as the main Balkan power] , [http://www.rastko.org.yu/rastko-bl/istorija/corovic/istorija/3_6_l.html Pressing the Bulgarians as the main Serbian rivals] , [http://www.rastko.org.yu/rastko-bl/istorija/corovic/istorija/3_7_l.html Creation of a Serbian Empire] , [http://www.rastko.org.yu/rastko-bl/istorija/corovic/istorija/3_8_l.html The Work of Tsar Dusan] , [http://www.rastko.org.yu/rastko-bl/istorija/corovic/istorija/3_9_l.html The Fall of the Serbian Empire] (Serbian)
* The Genealogies of the dynasties from Zeta and Montenegro by Jovan B. Markuš. The Nemanjics: [http://www.njegos.org/markus/10.jpgPage 1] , [http://www.njegos.org/markus/11.jpgPage 2] , [http://www.njegos.org/markus/12.jpgPage 3] , [http://www.njegos.org/markus/13.jpgPage 4] , [http://www.njegos.org/markus/14.jpgPage 5] (Serbian)
* [http://www.znanje.org/i/i21/01iv09/01iv0903/00iv0903.htm The] [http://www.znanje.org/i/i21/01iv09/01iv0903/1nem.htm Nemanjics] (Serbian)
* [http://www.suc.org/culture/history/Serb_History/index.html The Serbian Unity Congress - Serbian Medieval History] .
* Fajfrić, Željko. "Sveta loza Stefana Nemanje".
* Veselinović, Andrija & Ljušić, Radoš (2001). "Српске династије", Platoneum.
* Ćorović, Vladimir (2005). " [http://www.rastko.org.yu/rastko-bl/istorija/corovic/istorija/index_l.html ИЛУСТРОВАНА ИСТОРИЈА СРБА] ", Book II, Third Age,
* CD Chilandar by Studio A, Aetos, Library of Serb Patriarchate and Chilandar monastery, Belgrade, 1998
* Intervju - ДИНАСТИЈЕ и владари јужнословенских народа. Special Edition 12, 16 June 1989.
* Markuš, Jovan. " [http://www.njegos.org/markus/index.htm Родослови династија из Зете и Црне Горе] "
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nemanjić dynasty — House of Nemanja Country Serbia: Grand Principality Kingdom Empire Ancestral house Vukanović dynasty Titles Grand Prince (Велики Жупан/Veliki Župan) King of Serbia (Краљ/Kralj) Emperor of Serbia (Tsar, Цар/Car) Founder … Wikipedia
Nemanjić family tree — House of Nemanjić Country Serbia Titles Grand Prince (Велики Жупан/Veliki Župan), King (Краљ/Kralj), Emperor/Tsar (Цар/Car) Founder Stefan Nemanja Founding 1166 Nemanjić family tree Vu … Wikipedia
House of Vukanović — Royal house surname = House of Vukanović/Urošević estate = of Rascia, Zachlumia, Croatia, Dioclea (Zeta) and Travunia coat of arms = country = Serbia titles = Prince/Duke (Жупан/Župan; Кнез/Knez) Grand Prince (Велики Жупан/Veliki Župan) Ban… … Wikipedia
House of Vojislavljević — Royal house surname = House of Vojislav estate = of Doclea, Dalmatia, Rascia, Bosnia coat of arms = country = Serbia parent house = House of Saint Vladimir titles = Prince/Archon ( Knez ) Grand Prince ( Велики Жупан / Veliki Župan ), King ( Краљ… … Wikipedia
House of Nikolić — The House of Nikolić was a medieval Serbian noble family from Hum (Herzegovina). The family s main estate was Popovo Polje. Royal house surname = House of Nikolić estate = of Serbia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Zachlumia coat of arms = country = Serbia… … Wikipedia
House of Kotromanić — Royal house surname = House of Kotromanić estate = of Serbs, Bosnia, Littoral, the Lower Krajs, the Western Sides, Hum, Usora, Podrinje, Rascia . coat of arms = country = Bosnia parent house = none titles = Ban, King founder = Prijezda I final… … Wikipedia
House of Lazarević — Royal house surname = House of Lazarević estate = of Serbia coat of arms = country = Serbia parent house = House of Nemanjić titles = Prince (Кнез/Knez), Despotes (Деспот/Despot/Δεσπότης) founder = Lazar Hrebeljanović final ruler = Stefan… … Wikipedia
House of Branković — Royal house surname = House of Branković estate = of Rascia, Serbia coat of arms = country = Serbia parent house = House of Nemanjić titles = Prince (Кнез/Knez), Emperor/Tsar (Цар/Car), Despot (Деспот/Despot) founder = Djuradj Branković final… … Wikipedia
House of Savoy — Country Albania, Croatia, Ethiopia, France, Italy, Spain Titles Count of Savoy Duke of … Wikipedia
House of Orange-Nassau — Royal Coat of arms of the Netherlands Country Netherlands, England, Scotland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Orange, Nassau … Wikipedia