- City of Rochester-upon-Medway
Medway / Rochester-upon-Medway Motto: Loyal and True Geography Status non-metropolitan district, borough
city (from 1982)
1974 area 39,579 acres (160.17 km2) HQ Rochester History Created 1974 Abolished 1998 Succeeded by Medway Demography 1973 population 143,080 1992 population 147,600
The district was formed as the District of Medway under the Local Government Act 1972 on 1 April 1974, as a merger of the municipal borough and city of Rochester, the borough of Chatham and most of Strood Rural District. The district council was granted a charter entitling it to be known as the Borough of Medway, and preserving the mayoralties of Rochester and Chatham.
Name change and city status
On creation in 1974 the new Medway Borough Council applied to inherit the city status of Rochester, but this was refused. Instead, special letters patent were granted on 18 March 1974, which declared that the existing area would continue to constitute the City of Rochester, notwithstanding its abolition as a local government authority. In rejecting the council's application, the Home Office noted that it might be possible to extend city status to the entire borough in the future, provided that "Rochester" feature in its name.
On 3 December 1979 the Medway Borough Council passed a resolution renaming the district as the Borough of Rochester-upon-Medway, and on 25 January 1982 further letters patent were issued declaring that in future:
...the whole of the said Borough and not the said part of the Borough as heretofore should have the name style and status of a City...
Accordingly the district became the City of Rochester-upon-Medway.
Following a review by the Local Government Commission for England, the city was abolished on 1 April 1998, when it was merged with the neighbouring Borough of Gillingham to form a new unitary authority of Medway.
An inadvertent effect of the 1998 abolition was the ending of Rochester's historic city status, due to the failure of the outgoing city council to appoint charter trustees. This only became apparent in 2002.
- ^ a b Local government in England and Wales: A Guide to the New System. London: HMSO. 1974. p. 63. ISBN 0117508470.
- ^ Registrar General's annual estimated figure mid 1973
- ^ OPCS Key Population and Vital Statistics 1992
- ^ a b c "Cityark Search Results". Medway Archives. http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=Search&PathList=&SearchWords=Letters+Patent&DateList=1974. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- ^ a b c d Beckett, J V (2005). City Status in the British Isles, 1830-2002. Aldershot: Ashgate. pp. 126–127. ISBN 0754650677.
- ^ a b "Rochester City Status". Regeneration and Community Overview and Scrutiny Committee. Medway Council. 4 March 2003. http://democracy.medway.gov.uk/Data/Regeneration%20&%20Community%20Overview%20and%20Scrutiny%20Committee/20030304/Agenda/Report%20(Agenda%20item%205)%203.pdf?nobdr=2. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- ^ London Gazette: . 4 February 1980.
- ^ "The Kent (Borough of Gillingham and City of Rochester upon Medway) (Structural Change) Order 1996". Office of Public Sector Information. 1996. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19961876_en_1.htm. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- ^ "Error costs Rochester city status". BBC News. 16 May 2002. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/england/1991827.stm. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Medway (UK Parliament constituency) — Medway Former County constituency for the House of Commons Boundary of Medway in Kent for the 2005 general election … Wikipedia
Medway (disambiguation) — Medway is the name, since 1998, of a conurbation in Kent in South East England. Medway may also refer to: Place names Canada Medway, Nova Scotia United Kingdom In Kent: City of Rochester upon Medway (1974 1979) Medway (UK Parliament constituency) … Wikipedia
Medway — This article is about the Medway towns in England. For others, see Medway (disambiguation). Medway (Unitary Authority) Geography Status: Unitary, Borough Region … Wikipedia
Rochester, Kent — infobox UK place official name= Rochester static static image caption = Rochester Cathedral viewed from the Castle Gardens unitary england = Medway lieutenancy england = Kent region = South East England country = England latitude = 51.3883… … Wikipedia
City status in the United Kingdom — Cathedral city redirects here. For other uses, see Cathedral city (disambiguation). Historically, city status in England and Wales was associated with the presence of a cathedral, such as York Minster. City status in the United Kingdom is granted … Wikipedia
Medway (Borough) — Borough of Medway Basisdaten Status Unitary Authority, Borough Region … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chatham, Medway — infobox UK place official name = Chatham static static image caption = Chatham Riverside from Sun Pier unitary england = Medway lieutenancy england = Kent region = South East England country = England latitude = 51.3610 longitude = 0.5362… … Wikipedia
Municipal Borough of Rochester — Rochester Geography Status Municipal borough, City 1911/1931 area 2,936 acres (11.88 km2) 1961 area 3,983 acres (16.12 km2) HQ … Wikipedia
PS Medway Queen — 1994 Career (United Kingdom) Name … Wikipedia
Frindsbury — infobox UK place country = England latitude = 51.3999 longitude = 0.5064 population = official name = Frindsbury unitary england = Medway region = South East England lieutenancy england = Kent constituency westminster = Medway post town =… … Wikipedia