- White House
Infobox Historic building
caption=South facade of the White House
location_town=1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
construction_start_date=October 13, 1792
size=The White House, formerly known as the Executive Mansion, is the
official residenceand principal workplace of the President of the United States. Located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C., it was built between 1792 and 1800 of white-painted Aquia sandstone in the late Georgian style and has been the executive residence of every U.S. President since John Adams. When Thomas Jeffersonmoved into the home in 1801, he, with architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe, expanded the building outward, creating two colonnades which were meant to conceal stables and storage. [cite book |title=The Domestic Architecture of Benjamin Henry Latrobe |publisher=The Johns Hopkins University Press |author=Michael W. Fazio and Patrick A. Snadon |year=2006 |pages=pp. 364–366]
In 1814, during the
War of 1812, the mansion was set ablaze by the British Armyin the Burning of Washington, destroying the interior and charring much of the exterior walls. Reconstruction began almost immediately, and President James Monroemoved into the partially reconstructed house in October 1817. Construction continued with the addition of the South Portico in 1824 and the North in 1829. Due to crowding within the executive mansion itself, President Theodore Roosevelthad nearly all work offices relocated to the newly-constructed West Wingin 1901. Eight years later, President William Howard Taftexpanded the West Wing and created the first Oval Officewhich was eventually moved as the section was expanded. The third-floor atticwas converted to living quarters in 1927 by augmenting the existing hip roof with long shed dormers. A newly constructed East Wingwas used as a reception area for social events; both new wings were connected by Jefferson's colonnades. East Wing alterations were completed in 1946 creating additional office space. By 1948, the house's load-bearing exterior walls and internal wood beams were found to be close to failure. Under Harry S. Truman, the interior rooms were completely dismantled, resulting in the construction of a new internal load-bearing steel framework and the reassembly of the interior rooms.
White House Complexincludes the Executive Residence(in which the First Family resides), the West Wing (the location of the Oval Office, Cabinet Room, and Roosevelt Room), and the East Wing (the location of the office of the First Ladyand White House Social Secretary), as well as the Old Executive Office Building, which houses the executive offices of the President and Vice President.
The White House is made up of six stories—the Ground Floor, State Floor, Second Floor, and Third Floor, as well as a two-story
basement. The term "White House" is regularly used as a metonymfor the Executive Office of the President of the United Statesand for the president's administration and advisors in general. The property is owned by the National Park Serviceand is part of the President's Park. In 2007, it was ranked second on the American Institute of Architects's "List of America's Favorite Architecture."
The President's house was a major feature of
Pierre Charles L'Enfant's plan for the newly established federal city, Washington, D.C.[cite web |url=http://www.whitehousehistory.org/05/subs/images_print/05_f.pdf|title=Timelines-Architecture|accessdate=2007-11-13|format=PDF|publisher=White House Historical Association|pages=1] The architect of the White House was chosen in a competition, which received nine proposals, including one submitted anonymously by Thomas Jefferson. [cite book |author=Frary, Ihna Thayer |title=They Built the Capitol |year=1969 |publisher=Ayer Publishing |pages=p. 27 |isbn=0836950895] The nation's first president, George Washington, traveled to the site of the federal city on July 16, 1792 to make his judgment. His review is recorded as being brief and he quickly selected the submission of James Hoban, an Irishman living in Charleston, South Carolina. [cite web |url=http://www.whitehousehistory.org/04/subs/04_b_1792.html|title=Primary Document Activities |accessdate=2007-11-13|publisher= White House Historical Association] Washington was not entirely pleased with the original Hoban submission, however; he found it too small, lacking ornament, and not fitting the nation's president. On Washington's recommendation the house was enlarged by thirty percent; a large reception hall, the present East Room, was added. This was likely inspired by the large reception room at Mount Vernon.
The building Hoban designed is verifiably influenced by the first and second floors of
Leinster House, the Irish house of parliament in Dublin, Ireland. [cite web |url=http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/wash/dc31.htm|title=The White House|accessdate=2007-11-13|publisher=National Park Service] Several other Georgian era Irish country houses have been suggested as sources of inspiration for the overall floor plan, details like the bow-fronted south front, and interior details like the former niches in the present Blue Room. These influences, though undocumented, are cited in the official White House guide, and in White House Historical Association publications. The first official White House guide, published in 1962, suggested a link between Hoban's design for the South Portico, and Château de Rastignac, a neoclassical country house located in La Bachellerie in the Dordogne region of France and designed by Mathurin Salat. The French house was built 1812–1817, based on an earlier design. The link has been criticized because Hoban did not visit France. Supporters of a connection posit that Thomas Jeffersonwhile visiting the "Ecole Spéciale d'Architecture" (Bordeaux Architectural College) in 1789 viewed Salat's drawings,cite journal |title=A chateau fit for a president|author=Johnson, Michael |date=September 15, 2006 |journal=International Herald Tribune] and on his return to the U.S. shared the influence with Washington, Hoban, Monroe, and Benjamin Henry Latrobe. [ [http://www.thecolumnists.com/johnson/johnson103.html Our White House in France ?] ]
Construction of the White House began with the laying of the cornerstone on October 13, 1792, with no formal ceremony. [cite book |title=A Portrait of Old Georgetown |date=1933 |publisher=Garrett & Massie, Inc. |author=Ecker, Grace Dunlop |pages=p. 36] The main residence, as well as foundations of the house, were built largely by enslaved and free
African-Americanlaborers, as well as employed Europeans. [cite web |url=http://www.whitehousehistory.org/05/subs/05_c.html|title=Time line - African-Americans|accessdate=2007-11-13 |publisher= White House Historical Association] Much of the other work on the house was performed by immigrants, many not yet with citizenship. The sandstone walls were erected by Scottish immigrants, employed by Hoban,cite web |url=http://www.whitehousehistory.org/02/subs/02_b.html|title=White House Tour Essays: The Overview|accessdate=2007-11-07|publisher=White House Historical Association] as were the high relief rose and garland decorations above the north entrance and the "fish scale" pattern beneath the pediments of the window hoods. Much of the brick and plaster work was produced by Irish and Italian immigrants. The initial construction took place over a period of eight years, at a reported cost of $232,371.83 ($2.4 million in 2005 dollars). Although not yet completed, the White House was ready for occupancy on or circa November 1, 1800. [cite web |url=http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/overview.htm|title=Overview of the White House|accessdate=2007-11-09 |publisher= White House Museum]
Shortages, including material and labor, forced alterations to the earlier plan developed by French engineer
Pierre Charles L'Enfantfor a "palace" that was five times larger than the house that was eventually built. The finished home would contain only two main floors instead of the planned three, and a less costly brick served as a lining for the stone façades. When construction was finished the porous sandstone walls were coated with a mixture of lime, rice glue, casein, and lead, giving the house its familiar color and name.
Being a famed structure in America, many replicas have been constructed in its image.
The building was originally referred to variously as the "President's Palace", "Presidential Mansion", or "President's House". [cite book |author=Seale, William |title=The President's House, A History. Volume I. |year=1986 |publisher=White House Historical Association |pages=pp 1, 23 |isbn=0-912308-28-1] The earliest evidence of the public calling it the "White House" was recorded in 1811. [cite book |author=Seale, William |title=The White House, The History of an American Idea. |year=1992 |publisher=The American Institute of Architects Press |pages=p 35. 1 |isbn=1-55835-049-7] A legend emerged that during the rebuilding of the structure white paint was applied to mask the burn damage it had suffered, giving the building its namesake hue; this is unfounded as the building had been painted white since its construction in 1798. The name "Executive Mansion" was used in official contexts until President
Theodore Rooseveltestablished the formal name by having the "de facto" name "White House–Washington" engraved on the stationery in 1901. [cite book |author=Seale, William |title=The President's House, A History. Volume II. |year=1986 |publisher=White House Historical Association |pages=689.1 |isbn=0-912308-28-1] The current letterhead wording and arrangement "The White House" with the word "Washington" centered beneath goes back to the administration of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
Although it was not built until some years after the presidency of George Washington, it is also speculated that the name of the traditional home of the President of the United States may have derived from
Martha Custis Washington's home, White House Plantationin New Kent County, Virginia, where the nation's first President and First Lady had courted in the mid-18th century. [cite web |url=http://www.co.new-kent.va.us/planningcomm/ExistingConditions.pdf|title=New Kent County Comprehensive Plan|accessdate= 2007-11-07|author= K.W. Poore and Associates, Inc.|coauthors= Earth Design Associates, Inc|date= 2|year= 2002|month= June|format=PDF]
Evolution of the White House
Early use, the 1814 fire, and rebuilding
John Adamsbecame the first president to take residence in the building on November 1, 1800. During Adams' second day in the house he wrote a letter to his wife Abigail, containing a prayer for the house. Adams wrote:quote|I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this House, and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof.cite web |url=http://www.whitehousehistory.org/02/subs/02_b09.html|title=The State Dining Room |accessdate= 2007-11-02|publisher= White House Historical Association] Franklin Delano Roosevelt had Adams' blessing carved into the mantel in the State Dining Room.
Adams lived in the house only briefly, and the home was soon occupied by
Thomas Jefferson, who gave consideration to how the White House might be added to. With Benjamin Henry Latrobe, he helped lay out the design for the East and West Colonnades, small wings that help conceal the domestic operations of laundry, a stable and storage. Today, Jefferson's colonnades link the residence with the East and West Wings.
In 1814, during the
War of 1812, the White House was set ablaze by British troopscite web |url=http://www.whitehousehistory.org/02/subs/02_b03.html|title=The East Room |accessdate= 2007-11-02|publisher= White House Historical Association] in retaliation for burning Upper Canada's Parliament Buildings in the Battle of York; much of Washington was affected by these fires as well. Only the exterior walls remained, and they had to be torn down and mostly reconstructed due to weakening from the fire and subsequent exposure to the elements, except for portions of the south wall. Of the numerous objects taken from the White House when it was ransacked by British troops, only two have been recovered — a painting of George Washington, rescued by then-first lady Dolley Madison, and a jewelry box returned to President Franklin Delano Rooseveltin 1939 by Alan Van Dyke, a Canadian man who said his grandfather had taken it from Washington. Most of the spoils were lost when a convoy of British ships led by HMS "Fantome" sank en route to Halifax off Prospect during a storm on the night of November 24, 1814. [cite web |url=http://www.canada.com/globaltv/national/story.html?id=1e2fb507-5704-45d5-a997-f4015c772e7c|title=Treasure hunt or modern-day pirates?|accessdate= 2007-11-02|publisher=canada.com|year=2006]
After the fire, both architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe and Hoban contributed to the design and oversight of the reconstruction. The south
porticowas constructed in 1824 during the James Monroeadministration; the north Though Latrobe proposed similar porticos before the fire in 1814, both porticos were built as designed by Hoban. [cite book ">title=The Domestic Architecture of Benjamin Henry Latrobe |publisher=The Johns Hopkins University Press |author=Michael W. Fazio and Patrick A. Snadon |year=2006 |pages=pp. 368–370] The similarity between the South Portico and an elliptical portico, with nearly identical curved stairs at Château de Rastignacin La Bachellerie, Franceis speculated as the source of inspiration,cite web |url=http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/special/renovation-1825.htm|title=Architectural Improvements: 1825-1872|accessdate= 2007-11-02|publisher=The White House Museum] although this matter is one of great debate. [cite web |url=http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/09/15/opinion/edjohnson.php|title=A chateau fit for a president|accessdate= 2007-11-02|publisher=International Herald Tribune|date= 15|year= 2006|month= September|last=Johnson|first=Michael] The decorative stonework on both porticos were carved by Italian artisans brought to Washington to help in constructing the U.S. Capitol. The North Portico was not modeled on a similar portico on another Dublin building, the Viceregal Lodge(now "Áras an Uachtaráin", residence of the President of Ireland), for its portico postdates the White House porticos' design. For the North Portico, a variation on the Ionic Order was devised incorporating a swag of roses between the volutes. This was done to link the new portico with the earlier carved roses above the entrance.
Overcrowding and building the West Wing
By the time of the
American Civil War, the White House had become overcrowded. The location of the White House was questioned, just north of a canal and swampy lands, which provided conditions ripe for malariaand other unhealthy conditions.cite journal |title=The East and West Wings of the White House |author=Epstein, Ellen Robinson |date=1971–1972 |journal=Records of the Columbia Historical Society] Brigadier General Nathaniel Michler was tasked to propose solutions to address these concerns; he proposed to abandon the White House as a residence, and use it only for business. A new estate for the first family was planned at Meridian Hill in Washington, D.C., but the plan was rejected by Congress.In 1891, First Lady Caroline Harrisonproposed extensions to the White House, including a National Wing on the east for a historical art gallery, and a wing on the west for official functions. A plan was devised by Colonel Theodore A. Bingham, which reflected the Harrison proposal. In 1901, Theodore Rooseveltand his family moved in to the White House and hired McKim, Mead, and Whiteto carry out renovations and expansion, including the addition of a West Wing. President William Howard Taftenlisted the help of architect Nathan C. Wyeth to add additional space to the West Wing, which included the addition of the Oval Office.
The West Wing was damaged by fire in 1929, but rebuilt during the remaining years of the
Herbert Hooverpresidency. In the 1930s, a second story was added, as well as a larger basement for White House staff, and President Franklin Roosevelt had the Oval Office moved to its present location: adjacent to the Rose Garden.
The Truman reconstruction
Decades of poor maintenance, the construction of a fourth story attic during the Coolidge administration, and the addition of a second-floor balcony over the south portico for
Harry Trumancite web |url=http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/special/renovation-1948.htm|title=Truman Reconstruction: 1948-1952|accessdate= 2007-11-07|publisher=White House Museum] took a great toll on the brick and sandstone structure built around a timber frame. By 1948, the house was declared to be in imminent danger of collapse, forcing President Truman to commission a reconstruction and move across the street to Blair Housefrom 1949 to 1951. [cite news |url=http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE4D61E30F935A25755C0A96E948260|title=Fit for Dignitaries, Blair House Reopens Its Stately Doors|accessdate= 2007-11-09|publisher="The New York Times"|date= 1988-06-16] The work, done by the firm of Philadelphiacontractor John McShain, required the complete dismantling of the interior spaces, construction of a new load-bearing internal steel frame and the reconstruction of the original rooms within the new structure. Some modifications to the floor plan were made, the largest being the repositioning of the grand staircase to open into the Entrance Hall, rather than the Cross Hall. Central air conditioning was added, as well as two additional sub-basements providing space for workrooms, storage, and a bomb shelter. The Trumans moved back into the White House on March 27, 1952. While the house's structure was kept intact by the Truman reconstruction, much of the new interior finishes were generic, and of little historic value. Much of the original plasterwork, some dating back to the 1814–1816 rebuilding, was too damaged to reinstall, as was the original robust Beaux Arts paneling in the East Room. President Truman had the original timber frame sawed into paneling; the walls of the Vermeil Room, Library, China Room, and Map Room on the ground floor of the main residence were paneled in wood from the timbers. [cite web |url=http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/whtour/library.html|title=Library Art and Furnishings|accessdate= 2007-11-07|publisher=The White House]
The Kennedy restoration
Jacqueline Kennedy, wife of President John F. Kennedy(1961–63), directed a very extensive and historic redecoration of the house. She enlisted the help of Henry Francis du Pontof the Winterthur Museumto assist in collecting artifacts for the home, many of which had once been housed there. Other antiques, fine paintings, and improvements of the Kennedy period were donated to the White House by wealthy donors, including the Crowninshield family, Jane Engelhard, Jayne Wrightsman, and the Oppenheimer family. Stéphane Boudinof the House of Jansen, a Paris interior-design firm that had been recognized world-wide, was employed by Mrs. Kennedy to assist with the decoration. Different periods of the early republic and world history were selected as a theme for each room: the Federal style for the Green Room, French Empire for the Blue Room, American Empire for the Red Room, Louis XVI for the Yellow Oval Room, and Victorian for the president's study, renamed the Treaty Room. Antique furniture was acquired, and decorative fabric and trim based on period documents was produced and installed. The Kennedy restoration resulted in a more authentic White House of grander stature, which recalled the French taste of Madison and Monroe.cite web |url=http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/special/renovation-1961.htm|title=Kennedy Renovation: 1961-1963|accessdate=2007-11-07|publisher=White House Museum] The first White House guide book was produced under the direction of curator Lorraine Waxman Pearce with direct supervision from Jacqueline Kennedy. [cite web |url=http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/JFK+in+History/Jacqueline+Kennedy+in+the+White+House+Page+3.htm|page=3|title=Jacqueline Kennedy in the White House|accessdate=2007-11-09|publisher=John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum] Sale of the guide book helped finance the restoration.
The White House today
Since the Kennedy restoration, every presidential family has made some changes to their private quarters of the White House, but changes to the State Rooms must all be approved by the
Committee for the Preservation of the White House(formerly the Kennedys' Fine Arts Committee). Aimed at maintaining the historical integrity of the White House, the congressionally authorized committee works with the First Family, usually represented by the First Lady, the White House Curator, and Chief Usher to implement the family's proposed plans for altering the home. [cite web |url=http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/codification/executive-order/11145.html|title=Executive Order 11145--Providing for a Curator of the White House and establishing a Committee for the Preservation of the White House|accessdate=2007-11-08|publisher=The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration]
During the Nixon administration (1969–74), First Lady
Pat Nixonrefurbished the Green Room, Blue Room and Red Room, working with Clement Conger, the curator President Richard Nixonappointed. [cite web |url=http://www.britannica.com/presidents/article-9104648|title=Nixon, Pat|accessdate=2007-11-08|year=2007|publisher=Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc.] Mrs. Nixon's efforts brought over six hundred artifacts to the home, the largest acquisition by any administration. [cite web |url=http://www.firstladies.org/biographies/firstladies.aspx?biography=38|title=First Lady Biography: Pat Nixon|accessdate=2007-11-08|publisher=The National First Ladies Library|year=2005|quote=For the White House itself, and thus for the American people, Pat Nixon also decided to accelerate the collection process of fine antiques as well as historically associative pieces, adding some 600 paintings and antiques to the White House Collection. It was the single greatest collecting during any Administration.] In the 1990s, President and Mrs. Bill Clintonhad some rooms refurbished with the assistance of Arkansas decorator Kaki Hockersmith, including the Oval Office, the East Room, Blue Room, State Dining Room, and Lincoln Sitting Room. A recent refurbishment of the Lincoln Bedroom begun during the Clinton administration was completed in President George W. Bush's administration, and the refurbishment of the Green Room and East Room has begun. The White House is one of the first government buildings in Washington that was made wheelchair-accessible, with modifications having been made during the presidency of Franklin D. Roosevelt, who needed to use a wheelchair as a result of his paraplegia. In the 1990s, Hillary Rodham Clinton, at the suggestion of Visitors Office Director Melinda N. Bates, approved the addition of a ramp in the East Wing corridor. It allowed easy wheelchair access for the public tours and special events that enter through the secure entrance building on the east side.
Layout and facts
Today the group of buildings housing the presidency is known as the
White House Complex. It includes the central Executive Residenceflanked by the East Wingand West Wing. Day to day household operations are coordinated by the Chief Usher. The White House includes: six stories and 55,000 ft² (5,100 m²) of floor space, 132 rooms and 35 bathrooms, 412 doors, 147 windows, twenty-eight fireplaces, eight staircases, three elevators, five full-time chefs, a tennis court, a (single-lane) bowling alley, a movie theater, a jogging track, a swimming pool, and a putting green.cite web |url=http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/facts.html|title=White House Facts|accessdate=2007-11-09|publisher=The White House] It receives about 5,000 visitors a day.
The original residence is in the center. Two
colonnades — one on the east and one on the west — designed by Jefferson, now serve to connect the East and West Wings, added later. The Executive Residencehouses the president's home, as well as rooms for ceremonies and official entertaining. The State Floor of the residence building includes the East Room, Green Room, Blue Room, Red Room, State Dining Room, Family Dining Room, Cross Hall, Entrance Hall, and Grand Staircase. [cite web |url=http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/Floor1.htm|title=White House Residence First Floor|accessdate=2007-11-09|publisher=White House Museum] The Ground Floor is made up of the Diplomatic Reception Room, Map Room, China Room, Vermeil Room, Library, the main kitchen, and other offices. [cite web |url=http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/Floor0.htm|title=White House Residence Ground Floor|accessdate=2007-11-09|publisher=White House Museum] The second floor family residence includes the Yellow Oval Room, East and West Sitting Halls, the White House Master Bedroom, President's Dining Room, the Treaty Room, Lincoln Bedroomand Queens' Bedroom, as well as two additional bedrooms, a smaller kitchen, and a private dressing room. [cite web |url=http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/Floor2.htm|title=White House Residence Second Floor|accessdate=2007-11-09|publisher=White House Museum] The third floor consists of the White House Solarium, Game Room, Linen Room, a Diet Kitchen, and another sitting room (currently President George W. Bush's workout room). [cite web |url=http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/Floor3.htm|title=White House Residence Third Floor|accessdate=2007-11-09|publisher=White House Museum]
The West Wing
The West Wing houses the President's office (the
Oval Office) and offices of his senior staff, with room for about 50 employees. It also includes the Cabinet Room, where the president conducts business meetings and where the United States Cabinetmeets, [cite web |url=http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/life/cabinetroom.html|title=Debates and Decisions: Life in the Cabinet Room|accessdate=2007-11-09|publisher=The White House] as well as the White House Situation Room, James S. Brady Press Briefing Room, and Roosevelt Room. [cite web |url=http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/life/video/index.html|title=White House History and Tours|accessdate=2007-11-09|publisher=The White House] Some members of the President's staff are located in the adjacent Old Executive Office Building, formerly the State War and Navy building, and sometimes known as the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.
This portion of the building was used as the setting for the popular television show "The West Wing".
The East Wing
The East Wing, which contains additional office space, was added to the White House in 1942. Among its uses, the East Wing has intermittently housed the offices and staff of the First Lady, and the White House Social Office.
Rosalynn Carter, in 1977, was the first to place her personal office in the East Wing and to formally call it the "Office of the First Lady." The East Wing was built during World War IIin order to hide the construction of an underground bunker to be used in emergency situations. The bunker has come to be known as the Presidential Emergency Operations Center.
Before the construction of the North Portico, most public events were entered from the South Lawn, which was graded and planted by Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson also drafted a planting plan for the North Lawn that included large trees that would have mostly obscured the house from Pennsylvania Avenue. During the mid to late nineteenth century a series of ever larger green houses were built on the west side of the house, where the current West Wing is located. During this period, the North Lawn was planted with ornate "carpet style" flower beds. Although the White House grounds have had many gardeners through their history, the general design, still largely used as master plan today, was designed in 1935 by
Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr.of the Olmsted Brothersfirm, under commission from President Franklin D. Roosevelt. During the Kennedy administration the White House Rose Gardenwas redesigned by Rachel Lambert Mellon. The Rose garden borders the West Colonnade. Bordering the East Colonnade is the Jacqueline Kennedy Gardenwhich was begun by Jacqueline Kennedybut completed after her husband's assassination. On the weekend of June 23, 2006, a century-old American Elm ("Ulmus americana" L.) tree on the north side of the building, came down during one of the many storms of the Mid-Atlantic flood of June 2006. This elm is depicted on the right side on the back of the $20 bill. This tree was believed to have been planted between 1902 and 1906 during Theodore Roosevelt's administration. Among the oldest trees on the grounds are several magnolias (" Magnolia grandiflora") planted by Andrew Jackson.
Public access and security
Like the English and Irish country houses it was modeled on, the White House was, from the start, open to the public until the early part of the twentieth century. President
Thomas Jeffersonheld an open house for his second inaugural in 1805, and many of the people at his swearing-in ceremony at the Capitol followed him home, where he greeted them in the Blue Room. Those open houses sometimes became rowdy: in 1829, President Andrew Jacksonhad to leave for a hotel when roughly 20,000 citizens celebrated his inauguration inside the White House. His aides ultimately had to lure the mob outside with washtubs filled with a potent cocktail of orange juice and whiskey. Even so, the practice continued until 1885, when newly elected Grover Clevelandarranged for a presidential review of the troops from a grandstand in front of the White House instead of the traditional open house. Jefferson also permitted public tours of his home, which have continued ever since, except during wartime, and began the tradition of annual receptions on New Year's Day and on the Fourth of July. Those receptions ended in the early 1930s, although President Bill Clintonwould briefly revive the New Year's Day open house in his first term. The White House remained accessible in other ways as well; President Abraham Lincolncomplained that he was constantly beleaguered by job seekers waiting to ask him for political appointments or other favors, or eccentric dispensers of advice like “General” Daniel Pratt, as he began the business day. Lincoln put up with the annoyance rather than risk alienating some associate or friend of a powerful politician or opinion maker. In recent years, however, the White House has been closed to visitors because of terrorism concerns.
In 1974, a stolen Army helicopter landed without authorization on the White House grounds. Twenty years later, in 1994, a light plane landed on the White House grounds. The pilot was killed by the crash. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/americas/1159300.stm BBC News | AMERICAS | White House security scares ] ] As a result of increased security regarding air traffic in the capital, the White House was evacuated in 2005 before an unauthorized aircraft could approach the grounds. [cite news|author= Joe Johns|coauthors=Kelli Arena and Kathleen Koch|title=Intruding pilots released without charges|url=http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/11/evacuation/index.html|publisher=CNN|date= 2005-05-12|accessdate=2007-11-08]
On May 20, 1995, primarily as a response to the
Oklahoma City bombingof April 19, 1995, the United States Secret Serviceclosed off Pennsylvania Avenue to vehicular traffic in front of the White House from the eastern edge of Lafayette Park to 17th Street. Later, the closure was extended an additional block to the east to 15th Street, and East Executive Drive, a small street between the White House and the Treasury Building. [cite web|title=Public Report of the White House Security Review|url=http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/ustreas/usss/t1pubrpt.html|publisher=Order of the Secretary of the Treasury|accessdate=2007-11-08] The Pennsylvania Avenue closing, in particular, has been opposed by organized civic groups in Washington, D.C. They argue that the closing impedes traffic flow unnecessarily and is inconsistent with the well-conceived historic plan for the city. As for security considerations, they note that the White House is set much further back from the street than numerous other sensitive federal buildings are. [cite web|title= Statement of Committee of 100 on the Federal City and The National Coalition to Save Our Mall|url=http://www.savethemall.org/other/pa_ave.html|publisher=National Coalition to Save Our Mall, Inc|accessdate=2007-11-08|year=2004]
Prior to its inclusion within the fenced compound that now includes the
Old Executive Office Buildingto the West and the Treasury Building to the east, this sidewalk served as a queuing area for the daily public tours of the White House. These tours were suspended in the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks. In September 2003, they were resumed on a limited basis for groups making prior arrangements through their Congressional representatives and submitting to background checks, but the White House remains closed to the general public. [cite web|title=Visiting the White House|url=http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/tours/|publisher=The White House|accessdate=2007-11-08] The White House Complex is protected by the United States Secret Service and the United States Park Police.
Curator of the White House
List of U.S. Presidential residences
Number One Observatory Circle, the official residence of the Vice President of the United States
Western White House
White House Acquisition Trust
White House Chief Calligrapher
White House Chief Floral Designer
White House Communications Agency
White House Endowment Trust
White House Executive Chef
White House Fellows
White House Graphics and Calligraphy Office
White House History"
White House Social Secretary
*Abbott, James A. "A Frenchman in Camelot: The Decoration of the Kennedy White House by Stéphane Boudin." Boscobel Restoration Inc.: 1995. ISBN 0-9646659-0-5.
*Abbott James A., and Elaine M. Rice. "Designing Camelot: The Kennedy White House Restoration." Van Nostrand Reinhold: 1998. ISBN 0-442-02532-7.
*Abbott, James A. "Jansen." Acanthus Press: 2006. ISBN 0-926494-33-3.
*Clinton, Hillary Rodham. "An Invitation to the White House: At Home with History." Simon & Schuster: 2000. ISBN 0-684-85799-5.
*Garrett, Wendell. "Our Changing White House." Northeastern University Press: 1995. ISBN 1-55553-222-5.
*Kenny, Peter M., Frances F. Bretter and Ulrich Leben. "Honoré Lannuier Cabinetmaker from Paris: The Life and Work of French" Ébiniste "in Federal New York." The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and Harry Abrams: 1998. ISBN 0-87099-836-6.
*Leish, Kenneth. "The White House." Newsweek Book Division: 1972. ISBN 0-88225-020-5.
*McKellar, Kenneth, Douglas W. Orr, Edward Martin, et al. "Report of the Commission on the Renovation of the Executive Mansion." Commission on the Renovation of the Executive Mansion, Government Printing Office: 1952.
*Monkman, Betty C. "The White House: The Historic Furnishing & First Families." Abbeville Press: 2000. ISBN 0-7892-0624-2.
*Penaud, Guy "Dictionnaire des châteaux du Périgord." Editions Sud-Ouest: 1996. ISBN 2-87901-221-X.
*Seale, William. "The President's House." White House Historical Association and the National Geographic Society: 1986. ISBN 0-912308-28-1.
*Seale, William, "The White House: The History of an American Idea." White House Historical Association: 1992, 2001. ISBN 0-912308-85-0.
*West, J.B. with Mary Lynn Kotz. "Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies." Coward, McCann & Geoghegan: 1973. ISBN 698-10546-X.
*Wolff, Perry. "A Tour of the White House with Mrs. John F. Kennedy." Doubleday & Company: 1962.
*"Exhibition Catalogue, Sale 6834: The Estate of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis April 23–26, 1996." Sothebys, Inc.: 1996.
*"The White House: An Historic Guide." White House Historical Association and the National Geographic Society: 2001. ISBN 0-912308-79-6.
*"The White House. The First Two Hundred Years," ed. by Frank Freidel/William Pencak, Boston 1994.
* [http://www.whitehouse.gov Official White House website]
* [http://www.whitehousehistory.org The White House Historical Association, with historical photos, online tours and exhibits, timelines, and facts]
* [http://www.nps.gov/whho/ National Park Service website for the President's Park]
* [http://www.whitehousemuseum.org The White House Museum, a detailed online tour of the White House] and [http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/images/white-house-west-1980.jpgsolar panels in the White House] .
* [http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/model/ Detailed 3D computer model of White House and grounds]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
White House — the ☆ 1. official residence of the President of the U.S.: a white mansion in Washington, D.C. ☆ 2. the executive branch of the U.S. government * * * 1. the home and office of the US President, at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC. It is… … Universalium
White House — n 1.) the White House the official home in Washington DC of the President of the US 2.) the President of the US and the people who advise him ▪ claims that the White House had received warnings of a possible terrorist attack before September 11th … Dictionary of contemporary English
White House — (Уулу,Эстония) Категория отеля: Адрес: Uulu, Tahkuranna vald, Laadi tee 6, 86502 Уулу … Каталог отелей
White House — (Черветере,Италия) Категория отеля: Адрес: Via Furbara Sasso 94, 00052 Черветере, Итали … Каталог отелей
White House — (Fanore,Ирландия) Категория отеля: Адрес: Fanore, Fanore, Ирландия О … Каталог отелей
White House — (Трани,Италия) Категория отеля: Адрес: Via Arcangelo Prologo 6, 70059 Трани, Италия … Каталог отелей
White House — (Рим,Италия) Категория отеля: Адрес: Via Sebastiano Veniero 37, Ватикан, 00192 Рим, Ита … Каталог отелей
White House — ˈWhite House noun the White House the US President and the people who advise him or her … Financial and business terms
White House — White House, TN U.S. city in Tennessee Population (2000): 7220 Housing Units (2000): 2578 Land area (2000): 8.966005 sq. miles (23.221845 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 8.966005 sq. miles… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
White House, TN — U.S. city in Tennessee Population (2000): 7220 Housing Units (2000): 2578 Land area (2000): 8.966005 sq. miles (23.221845 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 8.966005 sq. miles (23.221845 sq. km)… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
White House — (Прага,Чехия) Категория отеля: 3 звездочный отель Адрес: Markova 10/594, Прага, 15800, Чех … Каталог отелей