- Cracked Actor (song)
"Cracked Actor" Song by David Bowie from the album Aladdin Sane Released April 13, 1973 Recorded Trident Studios, London
9 December 1972 – 24 January 1973
Genre Hard rock
Length 2:56 Label RCA Writer David Bowie Producer Ken Scott, David Bowie Aladdin Sane track listing "Panic in Detroit"
"Cracked Actor" is a song written by David Bowie, originally released on the album Aladdin Sane in April 1973. The track was also issued as a single in Eastern Europe by RCA Records in June that year.
Music and lyrics
- Crack, baby, crack, show me you're real
- Smack, baby, smack, is that all that you feel
- Suck, baby, suck, give me your head
- Before you start professing that you're knocking me dead
Rolling Stone suggested that Bowie's goal was "to strip the subject of his validity, as he has done with the rocker, as a step towards a re-definition of these roles and his own inhabiting of them". However NME writers Roy Carr and Charles Shaar Murray considered that the song "reveals little else except that Bowie's capabilities with a mouth-harp are decidedly limited".
Release and aftermath
Following its release on Aladdin Sane, "Cracked Actor" was issued as Bowie's first single for the Russian market, backed with "John, I'm Only Dancing". The timing was supposedly to cash in on publicity emanating from his trip through Eastern Europe on the Trans-Siberian Railway in April–May 1973, shortly before his final Ziggy Stardust tour in the UK.
"Cracked Actor" became a centrepiece of Bowie's 1974 North American tour when he would perform the song wearing sunglasses and holding a skull (à la Hamlet), which he would then proceed to French kiss. The track also gave its name to Alan Yentob's documentary of the tour. In 1983 Bowie revived the song and the sunglasses-and-skull routine for his Serious Moonlight tour.
- The live version from the 1974 tour was released on David Live. This version was also released on Rock Concert. Another live recording from the 1974 tour was released on A Portrait in Flesh.
- A live version recorded at the Hammersmith Odeon, London, on July 3, 1973 was released on Ziggy Stardust - The Motion Picture.
- A more recent performance of the song, recorded at the BBC Radio Theatre, Portland Place, London on June 27, 2000, appeared on the limited edition bonus disk of Bowie at the Beeb.
- The track appeared on the Sound and Vision box set (1989).
- Big Country - Single in 1993, included on the compilation Starman: Rare and Exclusive Versions of 18 Classic David Bowie Songs, CD premium from the March 2003 issue of Uncut magazine
- Chris Connelly - Single
- Duff McKagan - Single in 1993
- Rancid Vat - Single "Bowiecide"
- Zeta Bane - Spiders from Venus: Indie Women Artists and Female-Fronted Bands Cover David Bowie (2003)
- Schlechtes Mord-Bumsen - .2 Contamination: A Tribute to David Bowie (2006)
- Okkervil River - Performed October 15, 2006 at the Bowery Ball Room in New York City
- Clit 45 - 2, 4, 6, 8... We're the Kids You Love to Hate (2006)
- Dave Gahan - Performed the song at Club Nokia on May 6, 2011
- ^ Nicholas Pegg (2000). The Complete David Bowie: p.56
- ^ Ben Gerson (19 July 1973). "Aladdin Sane". Rolling Stone (Rolling Stone). http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/davidbowie/albums/album/283449/review/6067692. [dead link]
- ^ Roy Carr & Charles Shaar Murray (1981). Bowie: An Illustrated Record: p.54
- ^ "Cracked Actor" at Teenage Wildlife
- ^ Steve Malins (2007). "My Set Is Amazing...", MOJO 60 Years of Bowie: p.47
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cracked Actor — For the song in which the documentary is named after, see Cracked Actor (song). Cracked Actor is a 53 minute long BBC television documentary film about the pop star David Bowie. It was filmed in 1974. At the time he was a cocaine addict and the… … Wikipedia
Song Jing — (宋璟) (663 November 21, 737 [ [http://www.sinica.edu.tw/ftms bin/kiwi1/luso.sh?lstype=2 dyna=%AD%F0 king=%A5%C8%A9v reign=%B6%7D%A4%B8 yy=25 ycanzi= mm=10 dd= dcanzi=%A4A%A4%A1 兩千年中西曆轉換 ] ] ), formally Duke Wenzhen of Guangping (廣平文貞公), was an… … Wikipedia
White Light/White Heat (song) — Song infobox Name = White Light/White Heat Type = Single Artist = The Velvet Underground Album = White Light/White Heat Released = January 30, 1968 track no = 1 Recorded = September 1967, Scepter Studios, New York City, New York Genre = Rock and… … Wikipedia
Time (David Bowie song) — Infobox Single Name = Time Caption = Artist = David Bowie from Album = Aladdin Sane A side = B side = The Prettiest Star Released = start date|1973|04|13 cite web |author= |url=http://www.5years.com/aladdin.htm |title=Aladdin Sane (1973)… … Wikipedia
Iris (song) — Infobox Single Name = Iris Artist = Goo Goo Dolls from Album = and Dizzy Up the Girl Released = 1998 Format = CD single Recorded =??? Genre = Alternative rock Length = 4:49 3:33 (alternate version) Label = Warner Bros. Records Writer = John… … Wikipedia
Panic in Detroit — Song infobox Name = Panic in Detroit Artist = David Bowie Album = Aladdin Sane Released = April 13 1973 track no = 4 Recorded = Trident Studios, London 9 December 1972 24 January 1973 Genre = Rock Length = 4:25 Label = RCA Writer = David Bowie… … Wikipedia
David Live — Live album by David Bowie Released 29 October 1974 ( … Wikipedia
Боуи, Дэвид — У этого термина существуют и другие значения, см. Боуи. Дэвид Боуи David Bowie … Википедия
David Bowie — Bowie during the Heathen Tour in 2002. Background information Birth name David Robert Jones Born … Wikipedia
Aladdin Sane — Infobox Album Name = Aladdin Sane Type = Studio Artist = David Bowie Released = start date|1973|4|12|df=yes Recorded = Trident Studios, London; RCA Studios, New York and Nashville, start date|1972|10|6|df=yes–end date|1973|1|24|df=yes Genre =… … Wikipedia