- Society for News Design
The Society for News Design (SND) is an international organization for professionals working in the
newssector of the media industry, specifically those involved with graphic design, illustration, web designand infographics.
Founded in 1979, it is a
United States-registered non-profit organization with around 2,600 members worldwide. Among other activities, it runs an annual Best of Newspaper Design competition open to newspapers from around the world at Syracuse Universityevery February, and a yearly conference (rotating through various cities) that brings in visual journalists from all over the world. The 2007 conference was held in Boston from October 11-13, 2007. The 2008 conference will be held in Las Vegas from September 7-9.
SND also has a number of offshoot organizations, including student chapters (the largest including those at
Ohio University, Michigan State University, the University of Missouriand Syracuse University) and international chapters.
Leadership positions in SND last one year. While the positions are decided on by election, most positions are often won by prior position holders in a hierarchical style.
Current leadership includes:
* President: Gayle Grin, Assistant Managing Editor of Design and Graphics,
The National Post
* Vice president: Matt Mansfield, Deputy Managing Editor,
San Jose Mercury News
* Secretary/treasurer: Bonita Burton, Assistant Managing Editor of Visuals,
* Past President: Scott Goldman, Assistant Managing Editor of Visuals,
The Indianapolis Star
The organization publishes a number of publications throughout the year:
* A yearly full-color book featuring images of the winners of the Best of Newspaper Design competition
* Design Magazine, a quarterly full-color magazine notable for changing its
typographywith every issue and focusing on the latest newspaper design trends
* SND Update, a monthly magazine/newsletter printed in black and white that tends to focus more on organization-related events
* Área-11, the digital newsletter in Spanish for México, Central & South America (R-11 & 12).
SND holds a number of regional and international events, with the purpose of educating and allowing opportunities for members to network.
The Society for News Design's annual fall workshop rotates through various cities around the world. Although generally in the United States, the workshop has visited locations in Canada, Puerto Rico, Denmark and Spain and is slated for Argentina in 2009.
The weekend-long event features a number of guest speakers on a variety of topics along with critiques, an auction and a formal dinner.
Upcoming workshops include:
* 2008: Las Vegas, Red Rock Hotel and Casino. Site chair: Bill Gaspard,
Las Vegas Sun
* 2009: Buenos Aires, Argentina
* 2010: Denver
* 2011: St. Louis
ND Orlando 2006 "The Intern" competition
SND Orlando 2006 hosted the "The Intern" competition. Ten students were chosen from a pool of applicants to compete for internships at
The San Jose Mercury News, The Orlando Sentinel, and The Arizona Republic. The students competed for a week and attended the conference, where the winners were announced.
Throughout the year, SND members put on a number of one-to-two-day educational quick courses held throughout the world and designed to focus on a specific
visual journalismtopic. Upcoming events include:
* May 16, Muncie, Ind.: Design Quick Course. Site chairs: Jennifer George-Palilonis and Ryan Sparrow,
Ball State University
* May 31, Waterbury, Ct.: Design Quick Course. Site chair: Scott Griffin,
* June 7, Highland Heights, Ky.: Design Quick Course. Site chair: Mary Carmen Cupito,
Northern Kentucky University
* June 20, Columbia, Mo.: Quick Course. Site chair: Joy Mayer,
University of Missouri
* [http://www.snd.org snd.org] - Official Web site
* [http://www.snd.org/update SND Update] - SND's news site
* [http://www.snd20.org] - www.snd20.org SND regional Web site for Middle East and Africa
* [http://www.sndboston.com/ SND Boston] - Official Web site of the 2007 SND conference
* [http://www.sndvegas.com/ SND Vegas] - Official Web site of the 2008 SND conference
* [http://www.newsdesigner.com/blog NewsDesigner] - A visual blog highlighting industry-related breaking news.
* [http://www.visualeditors.com Visual Editors] - A visual journalism forum popular with SND members.
* [http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/ Today's Front Pages] - An updated-daily repository of newspaper front pages by [http://www.newseum.org/ Newseum] , a newspaper museum in
* [http://spd.org/ Society of Publication Designers] - A similar professional organization, focusing on magazines and other publications
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Society for News Design — Die Society for News Design (SND) ist eine internationale professionelle Organisation mit über 2600 Mitgliedern in 50 Ländern. Sie wurde am 22. Mai 1979 als gemeinnützige Gesellschaft in Pennsylvania USA gegründet. Hauptsitz ist North Kingstown… … Deutsch Wikipedia
News design — is the process of arranging material on a newspaper page, according to editorial and graphical guidelines and goals. Main editorial goals include the ordering of news stories by order of importance, while graphical considerations include… … Wikipedia
Society for Newsdesign — Die Society for News Design (SND) ist eine internationale professionelle Organisation mit über 2600 Mitgliedern in 50 Ländern. Sie wurde am 22. Mai 1979 als gemeinnützige Gesellschaft in Pennsylvania (USA) gegründet. Hauptsitz ist North Kingstown … Deutsch Wikipedia
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics — Infobox Organization name = Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics |thumb|200px image border = size = caption = formation = 1951 type = headquarters = Philadelphia, PA location = membership = 11,000 language = leader title = President… … Wikipedia
Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication — The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication ( SWIFT ) operates a worldwide financial messaging network. Messages are securely and reliably exchanged between banks and other financial institutions. SWIFT also markets software… … Wikipedia
The Society For Truth And Light — (STL, zh. 明光社) is an organization with an official mission of address [ing] social ethics, media behaviour, and sex culture in Hong Kong from fundamentalist Christian point of view to care the society and service people through research,… … Wikipedia
News Illustrated — is a full page information graphic that runs every Sunday in the South Florida Sun Sentinel, one of 12 newspapers owned by Tribune Company. It tells news stories visually and in ways that are hard to replicate with traditional journalism.… … Wikipedia
Design — For the 1970s music group, see Design (UK band). All Saints Chapel in the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis by Louis Comfort Tiffany. The building structure and decorations are both examples of design … Wikipedia
Design thinking — refers to the methods and processes for investigating ill defined problems, acquiring information, analyzing knowledge, and positing solutions in the design and planning fields. As a style of thinking, it is generally considered the ability to… … Wikipedia
Design–build — Design build (or design/build, and abbreviated D–B or D/B accordingly) is a project delivery system used in the construction industry. It is a method to deliver a project in which the design and construction services are contracted by a single… … Wikipedia