- Captain Klutz
Captain Klutz is a
comic stripcharacter created by Don Martin. He is a parodyof superherocharacters. The character originally saw print in a series of original paperback books done for the MAD paperback line, not the magazine.
Ringo Fonebone was a hopelessly inept boy. He was utterly absorbed in reading
comic books, to the point that he was kicked out of his parents' house, as well as a vocational school he tried to attend and a flophouse(the last expulsion left him in nothing but a set of red long johnsand dotted boxer shorts). He realized what a mess his life was, and as he tried to commit suicideby hanginghimself, the towelhe used as a rope broke. He fell to earth, inadvertently acquiring a mask(originally a woman's hatbeing thrown out by her irate husband), and finally crash-landed in the middle of a robbery, in long-johns, with his "mask" and towel-"cape," distracting the robber long enough for the policeto capture him. The robber's angry exclamation: "Why, you klutz!" was taken by the dazed (and temporarily amnesiac) Ringo as his name, and he responded to the officers' questions regarding his identity with: "I'm...a klutz, captain." The police thought he had said he was "Captain Klutz," and the rest was history.
Captain Klutz did not lead a luxurious life, being reduced to
homelessnessat various times. (In one adventure, "my new airy apartment" was a park bench; in another, he hoped an invention would give him super-speed, so he could get a pizza delivery job.) He was also utterly inept at crime-fighting, being poor at deduction, easily misled, and naive. (An alleged " kung fumaster" easily conned Klutz for phony "training" in martial arts.) However, he usually did end up capturing the bad guy.
His main ally was Police Chief O'Freenbean, and he fought a variety of enemies, including:
*Sissyman (a villainous
mama's boywhose secret headquarters was in his mother's house; his weapons included an ice-cream gun)
*Mervin the Mad Bomber (Captain Klutz tries to lure Mervin out of hiding by calling on a bevy of his loved ones, including family, friends, and the entire
*Gorgonzola (a giant mechanical spider; Klutz defeats him by grabbing a leg and sticking it into an electrical socket)
*The Cackling Cockroach
Don Martin illustrated all the Captain Klutz stories. However, numerous writers were credited for the Captain Klutz stories. A listing of the stories, as well as the credited writers, follows.
"The MAD Adventures of Captain Klutz" (
1967)Stories below uncredited; credited writers Dick DeBartolo, Phil Hahn, Jack Hanrahan, Don Martin
* Prologue/Origin:"The genesis of Captain Klutz."
* "Sissyman":"No master of disguise, Klutz wears a rabbit costume while undercover as a high school football player."
* "The Message":"Klutz writes to Chief O'Freenbean in
* "Chicken Soup":"A scheming matron builds an army of
zombies, by drugging the food at her soup kitchen."
* "On The Elevator"
* "Gorgonzola":"A story of man versus spider."
* "Mervin the Mad Bomber":"Klutz learns to think twice, before calling out the
"MAD's Don Martin Carries On" (
* "The Man of 1,000 Faces (Give or Take 900)" written by Dick DeBartolo
"MAD's Don Martin Steps Further Out" (
* "Kung Fu To You, Too!" written by Dick DeBartolo
"MAD's Don Martin Forges Ahead" (
* "The Barfing Affair" written by
"MAD's Don Martin Digs Deeper" (
* "The Gravest Show on Earth" written by Dick DeBartolo
"MAD's Don Martin Grinds Ahead" (
* "The Cackling Cockroach" written by Don Martin
"MAD's Don Martin Presents Captain Klutz II" (
* "To Brusha with Love" written by Don Edwing
* "The Klutz File" uncredited
* "Hollywood Whodunnit" written by Dick DeBartolo
* "The Sounds of Captain Klutz" and "The Klutz File" uncredited
* "Theme Song from Captain Klutz-The Book" written by Don Martin and Nick Meglin, music by Norm Blagman
* "The Klutz File", "Captain Klutz's Agendum for Secret Messages" and "Crimefighter's Corner" uncredited
* "The Major Catastrophe" written by Don EdwingAdditional writers: John Gibbons, Norma Martin, and Dick DeBartolo
"MAD's Don Martin Sails Ahead" (
* "Klutzenstein" written by Don Edwing
Captain Klutz's adventures were featured in the following volumes:
* "The MAD Adventures of Captain Klutz" (Signet,
* "MAD's Don Martin Presents Captain Klutz II" (Warner Books,
Captain Klutz stories also appeared in the following Don Martin anthologies:
* "MAD's Don Martin Carries On" (Warner Books,
* "MAD's Don Martin Steps Further Out" (Warner Books,
* "MAD's Don Martin Forges Ahead" (Warner Books,
* "MAD's Don Martin Digs Deeper" (Warner Books,
* "MAD's Don Martin Grinds Ahead" (Warner Books,
* "MAD's Don Martin Sails Ahead" (Warner Books,
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Klutz — may refer to: Most commonly, a clumsy person Klutz Press is an imprint of Scholastic Press Klütz (or Kluetz ) is a surname and a town in the Nordwestmecklenburg district, Mecklenburg Western Pomerania, Germany Captain Klutz, comic strip superhero … Wikipedia
Don Martin (cartoonist) — For other people named Don Martin, see Don Martin (disambiguation). Don Martin Born May 18, 1931(1931 05 18) Paterson, New Jersey, U.S. Died January 6, 2000(2000 01 06) (aged 68) Miami … Wikipedia
Johnny Olson — Infobox Person name = Johnny Olson caption = Johnny Olson on The Price Is Right birth date = birth date|1910|5|22|mf=y birth place = Windom, Minnesota death date = death date|1985|10|12|mf=y (aged 75) death place = Santa Monica, CaliforniaJohn… … Wikipedia
Dick DeBartolo — Born October 19, 1945 (1945 10 19) (age 66) Nationality American Occupation … Wikipedia
Duck Edwing — (b. 1934), aka Don Edwing, is a gag cartoonist whose work has appeared for years in Mad. His signature Duck Edwing is usually accompanied by a small picture of a duck, and duck calls are heard on his answering machine. Mad editor John Ficarra… … Wikipedia
Don Martin — était un dessinateur américain de bandes dessinées, né le 18 mai 1931 à Paterson, dans le New Jersey, et mort le 6 janvier 2000 à Miami, en Floride, d un cancer. Il travailla notamment dans la revue satirique Mad Magazine de 1956 à 1988. Il reçut … Wikipédia en Français
US-amerikanische Kinder- und Jugendliteratur — Amerikanische Schulkinder wählen in der kleinen Bibliothek ihrer Grundschule Bücher aus (1938) Die amerikanische Kinder und Jugendliteratur umfasst alle literarischen Arbeiten, die für ein Publikum von Kindern und Jugendlichen geschaffen,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Amerikanische Kinder- und Jugendliteratur — Amerikanische Schulkinder wählen in der kleinen Bibliothek ihrer Grundschule Bücher aus (1938) Die amerikanische Kinder und Jugendliteratur umfasst alle literarischen Arbeiten, die für ein Publikum von Kindern und Jugendlichen geschaffen,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of Lucky Star characters — This is a list of characters from the Japanese manga, video game, and anime series Lucky Star. Contents 1 Main characters 2 Schoolmates 3 Lucky Channel 4 … Wikipedia
Gerald Ford — This article is about the U.S. President. For other uses, see Gerald Ford (disambiguation). Gerald Ford 38th President of the United States … Wikipedia