- Olive-backed Pipit
Olive-backed Pipit Olive-backed Pipit Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves Order: Passeriformes Family: Motacillidae Genus: Anthus Species: A. hodgsoni Binomial name Anthus hodgsoni
The Olive-backed Pipit, Anthus hodgsoni, is a small passerine bird of the pipit (Anthus) genus, which breeds across South, north Central and East Asia, as well as in the northeast of European Russia. It is a long-distance migrant moving in winter to southern Asia and Indonesia. Sometimes it is also called Indian, or Hodgson's, Tree Pipit, owing to the resemblance with the Tree Pipit. However, its back is more olive-toned and less streaked than that species, and its head pattern is different with a better-marked supercilium.
- Summer: from Himalayan Pakistan and India, westward through Nepal, into China, north to Gansu province, and eastwards through Korea to Japan, and north through north Central Asia into north-eastern Europe (European Russia). Occasionally a rare vagrant in western Europe. Breeds up to 4500m in eastern Nepal.
- Winter: Broad southern region across Asia, from peninsular India, east to southeast Asia and the Philippines.
- Habitat: Affects open country. Wintering in evergreen woodland, Summers in groves and wooded biotope.
- Size: Sparrow+ (ca. 15cm)
- Appearance: Greenish brown streaked with darker brown above. Supercilium, double wingbar and outer rectrices whitish. Whitish to buff below streaked with dark brown on breast and flanks. Sexes alike.
- Habits: Seen singly or pairs. Runs about on the ground in search of food and flies up into trees when disturbed. Flight jerky and undulating.
- Call: Song lark-like and uttered on the wing, similar to the Tree Pipit, but faster and higher pitched. A single tseep or spek, also similar to the Tree Pipit.
- Food: Insects, grass and weed seeds.
- Food: Largely insects, but will also take seeds.
- Season: May to July.
- Nest: a cup of moss and grass placed on the ground under a tuft of grass or boulder. open woodland and scrub.
- Eggs: 3-5, usu. 4, dark brown, spotted darker. Usually two broods are raised.
The scientific name of this bird commemorates the British ornithologist Brian Houghton Hodgson.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
olive-backed pipit — taiginis kalviukas statusas T sritis zoologija | vardynas atitikmenys: lot. Anthus hodgsoni angl. olive backed pipit vok. Waldpieper, m rus. зелёный конёк, m; пятнистый конёк, m pranc. pipit à dos olive, m ryšiai: platesnis terminas – kalviukai … Paukščių pavadinimų žodynas
Olive-backed — may refer to:* Olive backed Oriole, very common medium sized passerine bird native to northern and eastern Australia and New Guinea * Olive backed Pipit, small passerine bird which breeds across temperate Asia * Olive backed Sunbird, Asian… … Wikipedia
Pipit à dos olive — Anthus hodgson … Wikipédia en Français
Pipit — Taxobox name = Pipits image width = 240px image caption = Tree Pipit regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Aves ordo = Passeriformes familia = Motacillidae genus = Anthus genus authority = Bechstein, 1805 subdivision ranks = Species… … Wikipedia
pipit à dos olive — taiginis kalviukas statusas T sritis zoologija | vardynas atitikmenys: lot. Anthus hodgsoni angl. olive backed pipit vok. Waldpieper, m rus. зелёный конёк, m; пятнистый конёк, m pranc. pipit à dos olive, m ryšiai: platesnis terminas – kalviukai … Paukščių pavadinimų žodynas
Hemimacronyx — Pipit Nom vernaculaire ou nom normalisé ambigu : Le terme « Pipits » s applique, en français, à plusieurs taxons distincts. Pipits … Wikipédia en Français
Tmetothylacus — Pipit Nom vernaculaire ou nom normalisé ambigu : Le terme « Pipits » s applique, en français, à plusieurs taxons distincts. Pipits … Wikipédia en Français
List of African birds — This list of African birds is a listing of all the bird species known from the continent of Africa. TOCrightNotesThere are over 45 billion different species of birds in Africa.The taxonomy of this list adheres to James Clitorus Birds of the World … Wikipedia
List of Asian birds — This list of Asian birds is a listing of all the bird species known from the continent of Asia.NotesThe taxonomy of this list adheres to James Clements Birds of the World: A Checklist , and reflects all changes to that work until July, 2005.… … Wikipedia
Sibley-Monroe checklist 17 — The Sibley Monroe checklist was a landmark document in the study of birds. It drew on extensive DNA DNA hybridisation studies to reassess the relationships between modern birds. Passeriformes (continued)Alaudidae* Mirafra passerina Monotonous… … Wikipedia