- Uxbridge tube station
Uxbridge is a
London Undergroundstation in Uxbridgein the London Borough of Hillingdon, north-west London. The station is the terminus of the Uxbridge branches of both the Metropolitan Lineand the Piccadilly Line, the next station towards London is Hillingdon. The station is situated 15.5 miles (25 km) west of Charing Crossand is in Travelcard Zone 6.
The Metropolitan Railway first opened a station in Uxbridge on
4 July 1904on Belmont Road, a short distance to the north of the existing station. The station was situated on a different track alignment, now used as sidings. The original service from central London was provided by steam-drawn trains but electrificationtook place the following year.
London United Tramwaysextension from Shepherds Bushwas opened a few weeks before the underground station: the manager, as reported in a local newspaper at the time, commented on the high prices of the underground journey: the tram journey, though, took well over an hour to reach Shepherds Bush.
1 March 1910, an extension of the District Linefrom South Harrow to connect with the Metropolitan Railway at Rayners Lane was opened, enabling District Line trains to serve stations between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge. The original Belmont Road station had two platforms, and after the introduction of shared operation one platform was used by each line.
23 October 1933District Line services to Uxbridge were replaced by Piccadilly Line trains.
4 December 1938a new station was opened on a new alignment. The station designed by Charles Holdenfeatures a red brick facade with paired sculptures over the entrance representing stylised wheels with leaf springs. A tall concrete canopy arches over the tracks with a row of clerestorywindows above the platforms. The canopy at Uxbridge is similar to the one at Cockfosters, the terminus at the other end of the Piccadilly Line.
The stained glass panels at the booking hall end of the platforms reflect the area's heraldic associations. The crown and three
seaxes on a red background are the arms of the county of Middlesexand the chained swan on a black and red background is associated with Buckinghamshire. The centre shield is possibly the arms of the local Basset family (a downward pointing red triangle on a gold background was borrowed from the Bassett arms for use on the arms of Uxbridge Urban District Council in 1948).
The forecourt of the new station was originally laid out to provide a turning circle for
trolleybuses, which replaced trams in 1936.
Transport for LondonBus routes:
* 222 (Uxbridge to Hounslow)
* 331 (Uxbridge to Ruislip)
* 427 (Uxbridge to Acton "Market Place")
* A10 (Uxbridge to Heathrow)
* U1 (Ruislip to Hillingdon Hospital)
* U2 (Uxbridge to Hillingdon Hospital)
* U3 (Uxbridge to Heathrow)
* U4 (Uxbridge to Hayes "Bourne Avenue")
* U5 (Uxbridge to Hayes & Harlington)
* U7 (Uxbridge to Charville Lane Estate)
* U9 (Uxbridge to Harefield)
* U10 (Uxbridge to Ruislip)
* Express route 607 (Uxbridge to Shepherd's Bush Green "limited stop")
* Night route N207 (Uxbridge to Holborn)
In addition non-TfL bus services include routes:
* 58 (Uxbridge to Britwell "First Berkshire")
* 305 (Uxbridge to High Wycombe "Arriva the Shires & Essex / Carousel Buses")
* 459 (Uxbridge to Langley "Redline Buses")
* 581 (Buckinghamshire County Rider: Uxbridge to Beaconsfield "Carousel Buses")
* A40 (High Wycombe to Heathrow "Carousel")
* CC1 (Uxbridge to Newland Park College Campus "Magpie Travel")
* R21 (Uxbridge to Mount Vernon Hospital "Sullivan Buses")
* Green Line 724 (Harlow to Heathrow "Arriva East Herts & Essex")
List of London Underground stations
Uxbridge High Street railway station
Uxbridge Vine Street railway station
* [http://www.uxbridgeparish.org The Uxbridge Parish website]
* [http://photos.ltmcollection.org London Transport Photographic Archive]
** ltmcollection|7a/i000067a.jpg|Original station looking east, 1934
** ltmcollection|79/i0000679.jpg|Original station looking west, 1934
** ltmcollection|66/9886466.jpg|One of the pair of sculputures in the artist's studio before installation
** ltmcollection|7r/i000067r.jpg|Concrete canopy of new station in 1958
** ltmcollection|4v/i000014v.jpg|Stained glasss clerestory windows, 1982
* [http://www.francisfrith.com/images/catalogue/c10/high/27/U52004.jpgFrancis Frith Collection] Uxbridge station in 1955.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Uxbridge Road tube station — Uxbridge Road was a London Underground station on a branch of the Metropolitan Line which closed on 20 September 1940.The branch ran north from Addison Road (now Kensington (Olympia)) station following the mainline tracks of the West London… … Wikipedia
Cockfosters tube station — Cockfosters … Wikipedia
Hillingdon tube station — is a London Underground station in North Hillingdon in the London Borough of Hillingdon, west London.The station is on the Uxbridge branch of both the Metropolitan line and Piccadilly line, between Ickenham and Uxbridge stations and in Travelcard … Wikipedia
Oakwood tube station — Oakwood … Wikipedia
Northwood tube station — Northwood … Wikipedia
Croxley tube station — Croxley Station entrance … Wikipedia
Ickenham tube station — is a London Underground station located in Ickenham in the London Borough of Hillingdon.The station is on the Uxbridge branch of both the Metropolitan line and Piccadilly line, between Ruislip and Hillingdon stations. It is in Travelcard Zone 6.… … Wikipedia
Northfields tube station — Northfields … Wikipedia
Neasden tube station — Neasden … Wikipedia
Northolt tube station — Northolt … Wikipedia