- Coronation Street timeline
Coronation Street has had a large number of major events. There have been over 2000 storylines. Some of the most notable are included in this article.
- 1 1960s
- 2 1970s
- 3 1980s
- 4 1990s
- 5 2000s
- 6 2010s
- 7 References
- 9 December 1960: First episode of Coronation Street broadcast live.
- 30 December 1960: May Hardman collapses and dies in her hallway of a brain tumour.
- 25 January 1961: Len Fairclough first appears.
- 27 January 1961: Actress Eileen Derbyshire first appears in the role of Miss Nugent.
- 8 February 1961: Alf Roberts first appears.
- 12 June 1961: Linda Cheveski gives birth to Paul Cheveski, the programme's first baby.
- 11 September 1961: Ida Barlow is knocked down and killed by a bus.
- 2 October 1961: Harry Hewitt marries barmaid Concepta Riley.
- 1962: Ken Barlow marries Valerie Tatlock.
- 1962: Jack Walker and Annie Walker celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.
- 19 October 1963: Jerry Booth marries Myra Dickenson.
- 13 May 1964: Martha Longhurst suffers a heart attack in the Rovers Return Snug bar and dies.
- 29 June 1964: Stan Ogden first appears.
- 8 July 1964: Hilda Ogden first appears.
- 26 August 1964: Harry & Concepta Hewitt move to Ireland.
- 2 December 1964: Rita Littlewood first appears.
- January 1965: Ena Sharples and Elsie Tanner clash in the street; Ena has become Elsie's new landlady and orders Elsie out of the house. Ena attacks her and smashes one of Number 11's windows with her handbag.
- 1965: Number 7 collapses into the street due to a faulty beam; the residents evacuate their houses.
- 15 April 1965: Valerie Barlow gives birth to twins, Susan and Peter Barlow.
- 1965: A piece of coal falls from the Barlows' fireplace and starts a blaze that nearly kills Susan and Peter Barlow.
- 11 January 1967: Ena Sharples breaks down when her daughter, Vera Lomax, dies of a brain tumour.
- 10 May 1967: A goods train derails from the top of the viaduct on Viaduct Street, crashing into Coronation Street. Several of the residents are missing and feared dead: Jack Walker turns up unharmed, as does Lucille Hewitt and Elsie Tanner. Ena Sharples is found unconscious but alive under the rubble, as is a police officer, P.C. Jimmy Conway. Conway's girlfriend, Sonia Peters, is found dead.
- 4 September 1967: Elsie Tanner marries Steve Tanner. Harry & Concepta Hewitt return for the ceremony; Harry is later crushed to death whilst fixing his broken-down van when the jack slips.
- 29 May 1968: Dennis Tanner marries Jenny Sutton.
- 5 August 1968: Convicted rapist Frank Riley breaks into the Barlow's maisonette and takes Valerie Barlow hostage. She is rescued by the police.
- 28 September 1968: Steve Tanner is murdered.
- 2 June 1969: Betty Turpin first appears.
- 29 October 1969: A coach crash leaves several of the residents of the Street injured and the coach driver dead. Ray Langton suffers a spinal injury; Ena Sharples faints; Elsie Tanner breaks her arm; Annie Walker dislocates her jaw; Jack Walker breaks his sternum; Emily Nugent suffers bruises; and Minnie Caldwell loses a severe amount of blood and is left unconscious.
- 3 November 1969: First colour episode of Coronation Street broadcast.
- 8 April 1970: David Barlow is involved in a car crash in Australia and is killed instantly. His son Darren dies in hospital the next day as a result of his injuries.
- 8 July 1970: Jack Walker dies of a heart attack whilst visiting his daughter.
- 22 July 1970: Elsie Tanner marries Alan Howard.
- 21 December 1970: Joe Donelli commits suicide after confessing to the murder of Steve Tanner.
- 27 January 1971: Valerie Barlow is electrocuted by a faulty hairdryer and is killed instantly; a blaze is started in the maisonette.
- 14 June 1971: Ivy Tilsley first appears.
- 11 August 1971: Mavis Riley first appears.
- 3 April 1972: Emily Nugent marries Ernest Bishop
- 20 November 1972: Deirdre Barlow first appears.
- 3 October 1973: Elsie Howard leaves the programme after 13 years.
- 31 October 1973: Ken Barlow marries Janet Reid.
- 25 February 1974: Cyril Turpin dies.
- 3 July 1974: Lucille Hewitt leaves for Ireland.
- 10 July 1974: Maggie Clegg marries Ron Cooke.
- 29 July 1974: Gail Potter first appears.
- 19 August 1974: Vera Duckworth first appears.
- 19 August 1974: Blanche Hunt first appears.
- 23 December 1974: Eddie Yeats first appears.
- 7 July 1975: Ray Langton marries Deirdre Hunt.
- 1 October 1975: A warehouse fire kills Edna Gee and two other factory workers. The storyline is part of the show's 15th anniversary.
- 10 November 1975: Jerry Booth dies from heart attack.
- 5 April 1976: Elsie Howard returns after 3 years.
- 7 April 1976: Minnie Caldwell moves to Whaley Bridge.
- 11 October 1976: Mike Baldwin first appears.
- 24 January 1977: Tracy Langton is born to Ray and Deirdre Langton.
- 21 February 1977: Ken Barlow's estranged wife Janet dies of a drug overdose.
- 20 April 1977: Len Fairclough marries Rita Littlewood.
- 11 January 1978: Ernest Bishop is killed by two armed robbers at Mike Baldwin's factory.
- 15 November 1978: Ray Langton moves to Holland, leaving his wife Deirdre and daughter Tracy.
- 7 March 1979: A lorry crashes into the Rovers Return, injuring Alf Roberts, Mike Baldwin and Betty Turpin.
- 14 April 1979: Audrey Potter first appears.
- 28 November 1979: Gail Potter marries Brian Tilsley.Jack Duckworth makes his first appearance
- 2 April 1980: 80-year old Ena Sharples makes her last appearance after 20 years. She goes to stay with an old friend, Henry Foster.
- 28 July 1980: Renee Roberts is killed after a lorry smashes into the back of her husband Alf's car in a country lane.
- 31 December 1980: A son, Nicholas, is born to Gail and Brian Tilsley.
- 27 July 1981: Ken Barlow marries Deirdre Langton.
- 21 February 1983: Ken Barlow discovers that his wife is having an affair with Mike Baldwin.
- 12 October 1983: Annie Walker, 74, makes her last appearance after 23 years.
- 19 October 1983: Kevin Webster first appears
- 7 December 1983: Len Fairclough dies in an off-screen car crash after visiting his mistress in Bolton.
- 4 January 1984: Elsie Tanner leaves the Street to live in Portugal with her boyfriend of the '60s, Bill Gregory; she follows a horde of departing favourites, leaving the show bereft of familiar faces in 1983 and 1984.
- 14 May 1984: Albert Tatlock dies off-screen of old age.
- 21 November 1984: Stan Ogden dies off-screen in hospital.
- 23 December 1985: Alf Roberts marries Audrey Potter.
- 18 June 1986: A fuse box in the Rovers Return explodes and a fire ruins the pub. The pub is scheduled for demolition; however, it is soon rebuilt completely.
- 8 October 1986: Kevin Webster marries Sally Seddon.
- 28 January 1987: A daughter, Sarah Louise, is born to Gail and Brian Tilsley.
- 9 September 1987: Bet Lynch marries Alec Gilroy.
- 25 December 1987: Hilda Ogden, 63, leaves the show after 23 years amid a huge public outcry. The episode attracts 26.8 million viewers.
- 9 November 1988: Mavis Riley marries Derek Wilton.
- 15 February 1989: Brian Tilsley is stabbed to death outside a nightclub whilst trying to save a woman from a gang of thugs.
- 27 October 1989: Liz and Jim McDonald first appear when they buy the house at number 11 from Alf Roberts.
- 6 December 1989: Twins Steve and Andy McDonald first appear.
- 8 December 1989: Alan Bradley is hit and killed by a Blackpool tram while chasing Rita Fairclough. The episode sets the record for the highest rated Coronation Street episode ever (26,930,000 viewers).
- 1 January 1990: After nine years of marriage, Deirdre Barlow rings in the new year by throwing Ken into the street after his Christmas Eve admission of a three month affair with secretary Wendy Crozier.
- 24 December 1990: Sally Webster delivers a daughter in the back of Don Brennan's taxi on the way to hospital. The baby is named Rosie because she's born on Rosamund street.
- 25 December 1990: A son, David, is born to Gail and Martin Platt. Gail ends up in the hospital bed next to Sally.
- 27 September 1991: Gail Tilsley marries Martin Platt.
- 1 January 1992: Liz McDonald goes into labour prematurely and delivers a daughter, Katie, who dies the next day.
- 12 February 1993: Lisa Duckworth is killed by a passing car outside the Rovers due to roadworks on Rosamund Street.
- 12 March 1993: Maureen Naylor first appears.
- 4 November 1994: Sally Webster and Kevin Webster have their second child, another daughter Sophie Webster.
- 25 November 1994: Deirdre Barlow marries Samir Rachid.
- 4 January 1995 Denise Osbourne and Ken Barlow have a son Daniel Osbourne.
- 2 June 1995: Samir Rachid dies in hospital after being waylaid by a group of youths while on his way to donate a kidney to Tracy Barlow.
- 23 August 1995: Ivy Brennan dies of a stroke off-screen, a year after her final appearance.
- 16 October 1995: Bet Gilroy leaves Coronation Street.
- 21 February 1997: Joyce Smedley, Judy Mallett's mother, dies after being run down by Tony Horrocks while walking her dog.
- 7 April 1997: Derek Wilton dies from heart attack during a road rage incident.
- 8 October 1997: Don Brennan dies after crashing Alma Baldwin's car into the viaduct. His death completes a reign of terror in which he set fire to Mike Baldwin's factory and drove his taxi into the River Irwell in an attempt to kill himself and passenger Alma Baldwin.
- 26 January 1998: Hayley (Patterson) Cropper first appears as a supervisor in Firman's Freezers.
- 30 January 1998: 17-year old Nick Tilsley marries his 16-year-old girlfriend Leanne Battersby.
- 18 March 1998: Ken Barlow's blind-date, Babs Fanshawe, drops dead during their night out.
- 29 March 1998: Deirdre is sentenced to 18 months in prison for fraud, but is released three weeks later.
- 1 January 1999: Alf Roberts dies from a heart attack during Nick Tilsley's birthday party.
- 21 April 1999: Roy Cropper marries 'transsexual' Hayley Patterson.
- 21 February 2000: Sarah-Louise Platt, at the age of 13, discovers that she is five months pregnant.
- 4 June 2000: Sarah-Louise gives birth to a baby daughter, Bethany.
- 8 December 2000: After 40 hours of rehearsal, a special live episode of Coronation Street is broadcast to celebrate the programme's 40th anniversary. It is the first live episode since 1961 and features guest appearances by Prince Charles, Noddy Holder and Sir Trevor McDonald.
- 11 February 2001: Ken Barlow's daughter, Susan, is killed in a car accident.
- 13 April 2001: Toyah Battersby is raped in the ginnel beside the Rovers.
- 17 June 2001: Alma Baldwin dies of cancer.
- 15 July 2001: A male adult internet stalker lures Sarah-Louise Platt to his home and holds her against her will after posing in a chat room as a 16-year-old.
- 26 December 2001: Emma and Norman 'Curly' Watts deliver a son Ben, at home on their settee. Street busybody Norris Cole assists with the baby's birth.
- 2002/2003: Richard Hillman begins a reign of terror in which he sets fire to his mother-in-law Audrey Roberts's house, attempts to murder Emily Bishop, bludgeons Maxine Peacock to death with a crowbar and finally drowns in a canal in a murder/suicide attempt.
- 4 February 2002 Duggie Ferguson dies after falling from a fourth-story banister while arguing with Richard Hillman. Richard flees the scene, leaving Duggie to die from his injuries.
- 20 May 2002: Richard Hillman murders his ex-wife Patricia with a shovel after an argument.
- 21 October 2002: Aidan Critchley crashes Ken Barlow's car during a joy ride, fleeing the scene and leaving Sarah Platt seriously injured.
- 13 January 2003: Maxine Peacock is killed by Richard Hillman.
- 5 February 2003: Toyah Battersby departs Coronation Street for London in Spider Nugent's juice van after learning from flatmate Fiz Brown that Maria Sutherland had become pregnant by Toyah's boyfriend, university lecturer John.
- 12 March 2003: Killer Richard Hillman returns from hiding to abduct the Platt family and drive their minivan into a canal. Hillman dies in the incident.
- 5 October 2003: The programme's first homosexual storyline is set in motion when Todd Grimshaw attempts to kiss Nick Tilsley, the brother of Todd's fiancée, Sarah Platt.
- 15 December 2003: Martin Platt crashes his car, and is pulled out by Tommy Harris just before the vehicle explodes in a fireball.
- 9 February 2004: Tracy Barlow delivers a baby girl with Roy Cropper, who believes he is the child's biological father, in attendance during labour. It is only later that Tracy reveals the child's real father is Steve McDonald. Steve's wife Karen discovers that Amy was Steve's child later at their wedding a week later.
- 8 March 2004: Janice Battersby drops a lit cigarette in the Underworld storeroom, setting the place alight. She is rescued by Nick Tilsley.
- 24 May 2004 : Sarah Platt finds out that Todd Grimshaw has been seeing Karl Foster behind her back; this leads to a massive brawl in the street between their mothers Gail Platt and Eileen Grimshaw.
- 24 November 2004: Dev Alahan's corner shops are blown up by his crazed ex-girlfriend, Maya Sharma. Dev and his wife Sunita are nearly killed in the Coronation Street shop alight, as her plan was to set the last shop on fire with them held hostage inside, so they would die. Luckily, they are rescued and Maya is sent to prison.
- 24 December 2004: Karen McDonald gets revenge on Tracy Barlow by driving away in her car that she won on a TV show called 'Top of the Tree', unaware that Tracy's daughter Amy was in the back seat. She sets the car alight, tricking Tracy to think that Amy died in the fire. Although it turns out that Amy is alive and unharmed, leading to Karen's exit.
- 4 March 2005: Tommy Harris dies after being fatally hit over the head with a wrench by his 18-year-old diabetic daughter Katy, who later dies of a self-induced sugar overdose. Tommys wife is chief suspect for his murder until she is found not guilty but she is still put in prison for pleading guilty to protect her daughter.
- 8 April 2005: Ken Barlow and Deirdre Rachid remarry.
- 10 April 2005: Ray Langton dies in the Rovers Return during Ken and Deirdre's wedding reception as a result of stomach cancer.
- 19 September 2005: Shelley Unwin jilts husband-to-be Charlie Stubbs at the altar.
- 24 October 2005: Danny Baldwin discovers that Mike Baldwin is not his uncle, but his father.
- 31 October 2005: Status Quo perform at Cilla Brown and Les Battersby's wedding reception.
- February 2006: Emily Bishop meets her husband Ernest's killer and has trouble forgiving him, leading to a crisis of religious faith.
- 17 March 2006: Mike Baldwin is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
- 7 April 2006: Mike Baldwin dies in the arms of Ken Barlow after having a heart attack outside his factory, ending 30 years in Coronation Street.
- 31 May 2006: Ronnie Clayton kills an old-age pensioner in a hit-and-run accident and tries to frame her boyfriend Steve McDonald.
- 14 August 2006: Jason Grimshaw jilts Sarah Platt at the registry office, escaping through a toilet window and sending a text message that reads "Sorry. Can't do it. Luv J x".
- 15 September 2006: Claire Peacock is sectioned under the mental health act after pushing her son, Thomas Peacock, into the road while in his pram. He is unharmed, but Claire is diagnosed with severe post-natal depression.
- 9 October 2006: Fred Elliott dies from a heart attack on the day of his wedding to Bev Unwin, during a visit to Audrey Roberts. After telling Audrey he will marry Bev, he collapses and dies in Audrey's hallway on his way out. Audrey is subsequently vilified as a "scarlet woman".
- 27 November 2006: Cilla Battersby-Brown is diagnosed with skin cancer after she finds a mole on her body. Her husband Les, son Chesney and daughter Fiz initially think that she is having an affair (due to Cilla refusing to sleep with her husband). Although she is given the all-clear she pretends that it is terminal in a bid to get enough sympathy money for a trip to Florida, however, she eventually confesses everything to Les, Chesney, Fiz and Kirk
- 13 December 2006 - 1 January 2007: Violet Wilson finds she is pregnant with Jamie Baldwin's baby, but she loses the baby to an Ectopic pregnancy, when she experiences bleeding, shoulder pains and collapses in agony. Violet has an emergency operation to remove both her affected fallopian tube and the baby and was told she had no chance/little chance of having children in the future, although later becomes pregnant by friend Sean Tully in late 2007.
- 12 January 2007: Tracy Barlow tries to murder cheating boyfriend Charlie Stubbs by hitting him twice over the head with a statue. She attempts to make the attack look like self-defense, but when Charlie later dies in hospital, she is arrested and refused bail.
- 26 February 2007: The street has to be evacuated when a suspected bomb is discovered in the Peacock's back garden.
- 2 April 2007: After a nerve-wrecking Trial, Tracy Barlow is shocked to be found guilty in court. She is sentenced to life in prison, with a minimum of 15 years before she is eligible for parole. This means that Tracy cannot be released until 2022.
- 18 May 2007: Claire Peacock wakes to find her baby Freddy's bedroom in flames. She is overwhelmed and knocked unconscious landing at the bottom of the stairs, but is saved by local 'zero to hero' Kirk Sutherland and Jamie Baldwin. Freddie, however, is missing. It is later revealed he was taken by Casey Carswell, a friend Claire met when giving counselling. She later went onto have a brief affair with Ashley Peacock, that nearly brought about the end of the Peacock's marriage.
- 4 June 2007: Paul Connor is killed in a car crash after kidnapping local escort Leanne Battersby and holding her hostage in his car boot. He skips a red light and ploughs into a lorry. Leanne suffers minor injuries and is released from hospital the next day.
- 17 September 2007: Bethany Platt is rushed to hospital after swallowing ecstasy tablets that uncle David has hidden in a doll. Bethany survives, but David is disowned and thrown out by the family.
- 19 October 2007 Rosie Webster begins an affair with her teacher John Stape who is also going out with Fiz Brown at the time. The affair is later exposed on Christmas Day 2007 and results in Kevin's arrest for assault when he beats John up.
- 31 October 2007: Sarah Platt marries Jason Grimshaw. Sarah's brother David drives his car into a canal and is temporarily missing.
- 30 December 2007: Sarah and Bethany Platt leave for Italy, so that Sarah can work for her uncle Stephen Reid. Earlier she had planted drugs on David and when she confessed this to Jason at the station he walked out on her.
- January 4, 2008: Liam Connor and Maria Sutherland decided to go on a New Year's mini break to the Lake District. However, while they were there Liam fell down a ravine while trying to rescue Ozzy. Maria rushed off for help in the dark, and finally made it back to the hotel they were staying at. The mountain rescue team were called and set off to find the casualty. Liam is shown raising his head to look around before the end credits, although he becomes unconscious again shortly afterwards.
- January 14, 2008: Ryan Connor discovers from his biological father, Nick Neeson that he is his son, after thinking Michelle Connor was his mum since he was born. In shock after hearing this, he ran away from home, leaving a frantic Michelle scared stiff for her 'son's' safety.
- January 18, 2008: After 34 years on the show Vera Duckworth dies of Heart Failure. Jack, Molly and Tyrone were at the Rovers when she died. But when Jack returns later, he finds Vera in her in her chair and, thinking she is asleep, he talks to her normally and asks her for a cup of tea. Without a response, Jack finds that she has died.
- February 11, 2008: Liam Connor and Maria Sutherland marry, after which Maria has a showdown with Carla in the toilets at the reception and slaps her round the face before warning her to stay away from Liam.
- February 22, 2008: Violet Wilson gives birth to her son, Dylan in the Rovers with Sean Tully at her side and Marcus the sonographer delivers him. Later on Violet is taken to Weatherfield General Hospital. At the hospital with herself and her new son Dylan, both Sean and her boyfriend Jamie Baldwin are there.
- 14 March 2008: David Platt pushes his mother down the stairs on Richard Hillman's five year death anniversary.
- 30 April 2008: Maria Connor gives birth to her stillborn baby Paul Connor Jr.
- 28 May 2008: After chasing a gang led by Chesney's schoolmate Kenzie away from the cafe, Jerry Morton collapses from a heart attack and is rushed to hospital.
- 6 June 2008: Steve McDonald and Dan Mason feud in the Rovers Return, and Dan hit Steve by accident, so Steve hit Dan with a crate and threw his phone down the cellar, Steve shut the door, locking Dan in. Dan is found by Ryan Connor in the morning and is rushed to hospital.
- 3 September 2008: Mel Morton and her friend Abi Sharpe are attacked by a girl gang outside a bar. Abi is rushed to hospital after receiving a blow to the head with a glass bottle.
- 17 October 2008: Liam Connor is mowed down and killed outside a club by a driver hired by Tony Gordon whilst celebrating Tony's stag night.
- 3 December 2008: At Tony Gordon and Carla Connor's wedding reception, a drunk Sally Webster reveals Carla's affair with Liam to Maria Connor and plays Rosie Webster's mobile phone footage of Liam and Carla kissing as proof of her claims.
- 12 January 2009: Tyrone Dobbs and Molly Compton marry.
- 26 January 2009 : Sian Powers first appearance on the Street, as a platonic girl friend of Sophie Webster.
- 6 February 2009: During a showdown at Underworld, Tony Gordon confessed to Carla that he did indeed have Liam killed. Horrified, Carla makes a quick getaway, leaving Tony distraught.
- 9 March 2009, Ryan Connor asks Sian Powers out and she accepts. Ryan later tells her, he is interested in her, and kisses her.
- 13 March 2009: On the day of Steve Macdonald and Becky Granger's first wedding, Becky gets so drunk that the Registar refuses to marry them.
- 30 March 2009: A huge fire breaks out at the Bookies flat after a drunk Peter Barlow drops his lit cigarette to the floor leaving him and his son Simon trapped inside. As the fire brigade arrive, Luke Strong and Tony Gordon break in and rescue Peter and Simon just as the flames explode through the windows.
- 27 April 2009: Paula Carp reveals to her daughter Julie Carp that her father is Colin Grimshaw, who had slept with her when she was 14 and he was 38.
- 8 May 2009: Ken Barlow confesses to wife Deirdre that he had an affair with Martha Fraser.
- 1 July & 3 July 2009: Maria Connor goes into labour and gives birth to her second son Liam Connor Jr. on Southport Beach. Tony Gordon is forced to play midwife and deliver the baby.
- 14 August 2009: Steve and Becky are finally married at the second attempt but during the reception at The Rovers, the police raid the place searching for drugs and find them in Becky's bag (The police are unaware that they were actually planted there by Becky's ex Slug and her arch enemy DC Hooch). Becky is arrested and is forced to spend her wedding night in a police cell.
- 1 October 2009: John Stape and Fiz Brown get married.
- 19 October 2009: Luke Strong flees the country after fleecing Rosie Webster out of £90,000.
- 30 October 2009: Tony Gordon suffers a heart attack and is found by Roy Cropper who rushes him to hospital.
- 19 November 2009: After a showdown between Tony Gordon and Roy Cropper at Weatherfield Canal Tony hands himself into the police and finally confesses to having Liam Connor murdered and trying to drown Roy.
- 25 December 2009: Sally Webster tells husband Kevin that she has breast cancer.
- 31 December 2009: On New Year's Eve when Sian Powers is supposed to be with Sophie Webster at a concert; Sian loses her virginity when she sleeps with Ryan Connor. Then they are caught by Michelle and Sophie.
- 8 January 2010: Gail Platt gets married for the fifth time, to Joe McIntyre.
- 8 February 2010: Joe McIntyre drowns at the Lake District after an attempt to fake his own death goes wrong.
- 12 March 2010: Simon Barlow disappears in Blackpool while on an outing with grandfather George Wilson and wife Eve. He later manages to find his own way home.
- 11 April 2010: Sian Powers relationship with Ryan Connor hits a troubled patch when the couple have a big row and break up. An upset Sian goes to see Sophie Webster after an emotional conversation, Sophie kisses her best friend Sian. This first kiss, may develop into the show's first lesbian couple. But it has left both girls very confused, and emotionally troubled.
- 12 April 2010: Sophie Webster travels to Southport to talk with Sian Powers. Sian coldly tells her that, due to that kiss, she is disgusted, shocked, and most confused, and they cannot be friends anymore. There will never be anything between them. A confused Sophie is heartbroken, and returns to Weatherfeild.
- 23 April 2010 : A confused Sian Powers returns to Weatherfeild to confront Sophie Webster. Since their first kiss. she has developed an attraction for Sophie, and now deeply misses her. Both girls talk through their mixed up emotions, things become clear; then Sian kisses Sophie. They now decide to be together, going out, as a couple; but in secret. The show's first lesbian couple.
- 10 May 2010: Blanche Hunt is laid to rest, after passing away in Portugal. Her funeral also marks the return of granddaughter Tracy Barlow.
- 9 June 2010: Fugitive Tony Gordon is killed in an explosion ending the siege at Underworld, hostage Carla Connor escapes the factory in time before it explodes out on to the Street, killing Tony instantly as the residents watch in horror.
- 17 July 2010: Sophie and Sian plan going to their school prom together. For two days Sian had debilitating stomach pains. Sophie accuses Sian of faking an illness in order to avoid going to the prom. Sian later bumps into Ryan, he arranges to go on the bus to the prom with Sian; Sophie being a committee member had to go several hours earlier. Ryan needs to impress Sian, as he is keen to win her back as his girlfriend. He is horrified when Sian collapses screaming in pain due to a ruptured appendix, at the Corrie Street bus stop. Sian is in agony and is rushed to the hospital. Meanwhile, Sophie is waiting at the prom, for Sian. Kevin Webster arrives and tells Sophie, Sian is in hospital. A very upset and anxious Sophie has to see Sian, soonest. Sophie and her dad are told that Sian has had an operation, and everything will be fine, and she can see visitors. Sophie tells her dad she wants to be on her own with Sian. Sophie talks to a drowsy Sian, and she drifts to sleep. Sophie then checks that no one is looking, she leans towards Sian and whispers; I love you, then tenderly she kisses Sian on the lips. This is Sophie's first declaration of her love, for Sian.
- 30 July 2010: Colin Fishwick dies suddenly during a heated argument with John Stape and Charlotte Hoyle. They dispose of his body in Underworld.
- 30 August 2010: On Roy and Hayley Cropper's wedding day, Claire Peacock reveals that Sophie Webster and Sian Powers are in a lesbian relationship.
- 2 September 2010:Sophie Webster tells Kevin Webster and Rosie Webster she is in love with Sian Powers. Sophie Webster and Sian Powers are scared their parents will prevent them from seeing each other. They decide to runaway to Sheffield, and live together. Eventually, they both return to Weatherfield.
- 8 November 2010: Jack Duckworth dies of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma sitting in the armchair that his beloved Vera died in. William Tarmey ends 31 years in the soap.
- 6 December 2010: An explosion in 'The Joinery' bar causes a tram to crash on to the cobbles, destroying The Kabin and Dev's Corner Shop, and killing Ashley Peacock and Molly Dobbs. This is also causes a fire at Number 13. Meanwhile, John Stape has murdered stalker Charlotte Hoyle, and hides her body amongst the rubble. Fiz Stape gives birth to her first baby, Hope, and a dying Peter marries Leanne Battersby in hospital.
- 10 December 2010: After being told that Charlotte Hoyle had severe brain damage, John Stape decided to turn off her life-support machine. Meanwhile, Norris and Emily found out that Rita, was in the Kabin the whole time. Fortunately, she gets out alive.
- 31 December 2010: A murder attempt is made on Tracy, and Steve is thought to be the suspect. Meanwhile, Sophie Webster the lesbian character, and Sian Powers sleep together for the first time, at the Webster's home. After Sophie asks Sian, "stay with me tonight, I need you. Please stay with me".
Sian manages to give Sophie a slight nod to show she would. Sophie surrenders her virginity to Sian, in a night of passion.
- 3 January 2011: Early evening, Sally Webster catches Sophie Webster and Sian Powers in bed together, hugging and kissing. This, after Sian had been trying on a new long red dress; she had just purchased. Sally Webster is shocked that they are having sex together. Sophie tells Sally, that Sian, is the only good thing she has, and they are both in love with each other. Sally tells Sophie to, get out the house. Both girl's go to Eileen Grimshaw house and disclose Sally had caught them "doing it", and in bed together. Both girls stay for a few days.
- 11 February 2010: Sian Powers leaves Weatherfeild to go on holiday to Tangiers, with her mother, and her mum's boyfriend. Sophie Webster is very upset, and cries as Sian leaves Weatherfield, on the bus. Later that evening, Sophie finds a valentines card in the pocket of her jacket, she opens the card, and inside is written - "Like I'd forget Love You XXX ". Sian, had hid the card in Sophie's pocket. Later, Sophie is depressed, and not going to college, due to Sian being away, and the Websters' marriage coming apart.Sally Webster tells Sophie, the first love is always special, but don't wreck your life, by not going to college, and passing your exams. Sally expects, and sub consciously hopes her daughter's relationship with Sian, will soon fade away.
- 14 February 2011: On Valentine's Day 2011, Leanne Battersby and Peter Barlow renew their wedding vows, Peter finds out about Leanne's affair with Nick Tilsley and dumped Leanne at the altar, he then tries to murder Nick by hitting him over the head with a metal bar.
- 25 March 2011 : Janice Battersby leaves after 14 years with new boyfriend Trevor Dean (Steve Jackson) to go travelling around the world.
- 28 March 2011: Tommy Duckworth returns and instantly begins flirting with Sophie Webster (Brooke Vincent), Sian (Sacha Parkinson) and Tina McIntyre (Michelle Keegan). He was looking for Tyrone Dobbs and he is shocked to learn that his grandfather Jack died in the previous year.
- 14–15 April 2011: Jim McDonald leaves Weatherfield after he rob a bank to try and Buy the Rovers from Steve. Liz McDonald leave shorty after she gone to live with Andy in Spain.
- 24 April 2011:Jamie Baldwin and Violet Wilson returned for one episode in London when Sean Tully goes to see his son Dylan. Also, Todd Grimshaw returns to visit Elieen and Jason for Easter and they meet Todd's new boyfriend. Later, after a short confrontation with Sarah's mother, Gail Platt, he promises to keep in touch with her more by telephone and they hug.
- 12 May 2011: Dennis Tanner returns after 43 years where he met Sophie Webster and Sian Powers volunteering at a soup kitchen. Some time later, after walking on the street he spots "Dennis Tanner 1951" that he had carved into the window sill of No.11 many years before. A woman approaches him and he looks up to see Norris Cole
- 3 June 2011: John Stape's past came back to haunt him when Chesney Brown started to ask questions about Charlotte's death. Dorothy Hoyle found his drivers license and worked his true identity, then John ties up Chesney and her. He went to the factory and helped dig out Colin Fishwick, but Fiz caught him red handed. He then kidnaps his daughter Hope. When confessing to killing Charlotte he hands Hope back to Fiz. Upon doing this, he stepped backwards off the roof to kill himself. Later, the audience is informed by the detective John's body has disappeared.
- 24 October 2011:Sian Powers returns to Weatherfield early from a holiday in France with her mother. Sophie Webster is surprised to see Sian; and is feeling guilty for kissing Amber Kalirai on a girls night out the previous evening. Sophie tells Sian that her life without her is worthless, and that she wants to marry Sian.
- ^ "Street drama wins praise". bbc.co.uk. 1 March 2000. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/662122.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-25.
- ^ "Prince stars in live soap". bbc.co.uk. 8 December 2000. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1061585.stm. Retrieved 2007-11-14.
Coronation Street Present and future characters
Dennis Tanner · Ken Barlow · Emily Bishop · Rita Sullivan · Peter Barlow · Deirdre Barlow · Gail Platt · Tracy Barlow · Audrey Roberts · Nick Tilsley · Kevin Webster · Bill Webster · Sally Webster · Steve McDonald · Rosie Webster · David Platt · Tommy Duckworth · Norris Cole · Sophie Webster · Roy Cropper · Leanne Battersby · Hayley Cropper · Tyrone Dobbs · Dev Alahan · Eileen Grimshaw · Maria Connor · Kirk Sutherland · Jason Grimshaw · Sunita Alahan · Fiz Brown · Ciaran McCarthy · Simon Barlow · Sean Tully · Chesney Brown · Amy Barlow · Lloyd Mullaney · Amber Kalirai · Aadi Alahan · Asha Alahan · Becky McDonald · Michelle Connor · Carla Connor · Marcus Dent · Tina McIntyre · Julie Carp · Pam Hobsworth · Gary Windass · Anna Windass · Mary Taylor · Sian Powers · Liam Connor Jr. · Cheryl Gray · Brian Packham · Izzy Armstrong · Russ Gray · Owen Armstrong · Chris Gray · Katy Armstrong · Matt Carter · Kylie Turner · Jack Dobbs · Hope Stape · Frank Foster · Faye Butler · Jeff Cullen · Sylvia Goodwin · Stella Price · Karl Munro · Eva Price · Anne Foster · Sam Foster · Kirsty Soames
Umed Alahan · Christine Appleby · Keith Appleyard · Lewis Archer · Jamie Armstrong · Tricia Armstrong · Carol Baldwin · Danny Baldwin · Frankie Baldwin · Jamie Baldwin · Linda Baldwin · Mike Baldwin · Warren Baldwin · Adam Barlow · David Barlow · Frank Barlow · Ida Barlow · Irma Barlow · Janet Barlow · Susan Barlow · Valerie Barlow · Colin Barnes · Des Barnes · Natalie Barnes · Janice Battersby · Les Battersby · Toyah Battersby · Cilla Battersby-Brown · Suzie Birchall · Ernest Bishop · Natasha Blakeman · Jamie Baldwin · Jerry Booth · Myra Booth · Alan Bradley · Jenny Bradley · Don Brennan · Ivy Brennan · Debs Brownlow · Lorraine Brownlow · Teresa Bryant · Bernard Butler · Sandra Butler · Minnie Caldwell · Joe Carter · Jesse Chadwick · Minnie Chandra · Ivan Cheveski · Linda Cheveski · Josie Clarke · Andrea Clayton · Paul Clayton · Ronnie Clayton · Gordon Clegg · Ida Clough · Claudia Colby · Chris Collins · Diggory Compton · Liam Connor · Paul Connor · Ryan Connor · Maggie Cooke · Kelly Crabtree · Sheila Crossley · James Cunningham · Wiki Dankowska · Gwen Davies · Trevor Dean · Marcus Dent · Nita Desai · Ravi Desai · Vikram Desai · Jackie Dobbs · Molly Dobbs · Jack Duckworth · Lisa Duckworth · Terry Duckworth · Vera Duckworth · Eve Elliott · Fred Elliott · Samantha Failsworth · Len Fairclough · Doreen Fenwick · Duggie Ferguson · Tom Ferguson · Harry Flagg · Audrey Fleming · Dickie Fleming · Norma Ford · Edna Gee · Eunice Gee · Fred Gee · Alec Gilroy · Tony Gordon · Dot Greenhalgh · Bill Gregory · Geena Gregory · Maud Grimes · Sarah-Louise Grimshaw · Todd Grimshaw · Alma Halliwell · Molly Hardcastle · Nathan Harding · Danny Hargreaves · Angela Harris · Craig Harris · Katy Harris · Tommy Harris · Esther Hayes · Harry Hewitt · Lucille Hewitt · Richard Hillman · Reg Holdsworth · Rebecca Hopkins · Tony Horrocks · Doreen Horton · Geoff Horton · Alan Howard · Charlotte Hoyle · Blanche Hunt · Jessie Jackson · Joanne Jackson · Amber Kalirai · Greg Kelly · Tom Kerrigan · Penny King · Sam Kingston · Ray Langton · Bobbi Lewis · Florrie Lindley · Martha Longhurst · Doreen Lostock · Yana Lumb · Bet Lynch · Scooter Makuna · Gary Mallett · Judy Mallett · Anne Malone · Tara Mandal · Sonia Marshall · Dan Mason · Harry Mason · Andy McDonald · Jim McDonald · Liz McDonald · Karen McDonald · Vicky McDonald · Joe McIntyre · Fiona Middleton · Edna Miller · Charlie Moffitt · Poppy Morales · Darryl Morton · Jerry Morton · Jodie Morton · Kayleigh Morton · Mel Morton · Wilf Morton · Doug Murray · Spider Nugent · Hilda Ogden · Stan Ogden · Daniel Osbourne · Denise Osbourne · Becky Palmer · Claire Palmer · Ashley Peacock · Claire Peacock · Freddie Peacock · Joshua Peacock · Maxine Peacock · Phyllis Pearce · Lionel Petty · Sandra Petty · Bethany Platt · Martin Platt · Tanya Pooley · Graeme Proctor · Xin Proctor · Jez Quigley · Samir Rachid · Charlie Ramsden · Connie Rathbone · Matt Ramsden · Mark Redman · Concepta Regan · Lucy Richards · Ben Richardson · Alf Roberts · Renee Roberts · Maya Sharma · Ena Sharples · Archie Shuttleworth · Dave Smith · Vinny Sorrell · Effie Spicer · Roger Stiles · Jed Stone · Candice Stowe · Dennis Stringer · Luke Strong · Charlie Stubbs · John Stape · Percy Sugden · Ted Sullivan · Leonard Swindley · Elsie Tanner · Steve Tanner · Albert Tatlock · Zoe Tattersall · Kelly Thomson · Bert Tilsley · Brian Tilsley · Gloria Todd · Vernon Tomlin · Cyril Turpin · Patrick Tussell · Bev Unwin · Shelley Unwin · Annie Walker · Billy Walker · Jack Walker · Curly Watts · Emma Watts · Raquel Watts · Alison Webster · Maureen Webster · Charlie Whelan · Betty Williams · Billy Williams · Lauren Wilson · Violet Wilson · Derek Wilton · Mavis Wilton · Eddie Windass · Len Windass · Eddie Yeats
Lists of characters
1960 · 1961 · 1962 · 1963 · 1964 · 1965 · 1966 · 1967 · 1968 · 1969 · 1970 · 1971 · 1972 · 1973 · 1974 · 1975 · 1976 · 1977 · 1978 · 1979 · 1980 · 1981 · 1982 · 1983 · 1984 · 1985 · 1986 · 1987 · 1988 · 1989 · 1990 · 1991 · 1992 · 1993 · 1994 · 1995 · 1996 · 1997 · 1998 · 1999 · 2000 · 2001 · 2002 · 2003 · 2004 · 2005 · 2006 · 2007 · 2008 · 2009 · 2010 · 2011
Related topics Related media Spin-offsThe Brothers McGregor · Pardon the Expression · Turn out the Lights · Just Rosie
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Coronation Street — Title sequence of Coronation Street (Introduced on 31 May 2010) Genre Soap opera Created by … Wikipedia
Coronation Street: Viva Las Vegas! — was a direct to video spin off from the British soap opera Coronation Street. It followed Jack, Vera, Fiona and Maxine on their trip to Las Vegas. It was released on VHS in 1997.[chronology citation needed] Cast Role Actor Vera Duckworth… … Wikipedia
Coronation Street: Romanian Holiday — DVD cover art Directed by Ian Bevitt Written by Simon Crowther and Chris Few … Wikipedia
Coronation Street: Out of Africa — DVD cover art Directed by Duncan Foster Produced by Gavin Blyth … Wikipedia
Coronation Street sets — A partial image of the Granada Studios backlot in Manchester city centre which houses the Coronation Street set The sets of the British ITV soap opera Coronation Street have changed since first broadcast in December 1960. The current s … Wikipedia
Coronation Street Live (2010) — Episode 7487 Coronation Street episode Episode no. Episode 7487 Directed by Tony Prescott Written by Jan McVerry … Wikipedia
Coronation Street Live (2000) — Episode 4945 Coronation Street episode Directed by Tony Prescott Written by Peter Whalley Original air date … Wikipedia
Coronation Street home video releases — Many selected episodes, specially produced episodes, and feature length spin offs of the British television soap opera Coronation Street have been released on video and DVD. Contents 1 1980s 1.1 The Magic of Coronation Street 1.2 The Jubilee… … Wikipedia
Coronation Street: Episode 1 — Episode 1 Coronation Street episode Ken Barlow in the first episode of Coronation Street Episode no … Wikipedia
List of Coronation Street characters (2010) — Coronation Street characters 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 … Wikipedia