- Peter Mansfield
Born 9 October 1933
Nationality British Institutions University of Illinois,
University of Nottingham
Alma mater Queen Mary College, University of London Doctoral advisor Jack Powles Known for Magnetic Resonance Imaging Notable awards Fellow of the Royal Society (1987),
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (2003)
Sir Peter Mansfield, FRS, (born 9 October 1933), is a British physicist who was awarded the 2003 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his discoveries concerning magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The Nobel Prize was shared with Paul Lauterbur, who also contributed to the development of MRI. Sir Peter is a professor at the University of Nottingham.
The Nobel Prize in Physics in 1952, which went to Felix Bloch and Edward Purcell, was for the development of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), the scientific principle behind MRI. For decades magnetic resonance was used mainly for studying the chemical structure of substances, and Mansfield's first project in this field was to develop a portable, transistorised Earth's field NMR (EFNMR) spectrometer in the late 1950s.
It was not until the 1970s with Damadian's, Lauterbur's and Mansfield's developments that NMR could be used to produce images of the body.
Mansfield is credited with showing how the radio signals from MRI can be mathematically analyzed, making interpretation of the signals into a useful image a possibility. He is also credited with discovering how fast imaging could be possible by developing the MRI protocol called echo-planar imaging. Echo-planar imaging allows T2* weighted images to be collected many times faster than previously possible. It also has made functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) feasible.
Mansfield came from humble beginnings in South East London, attending secondary school in Peckham. He left school at 15, and became a printer. He took A levels in night school. He then studied physics at Queen Mary College, London, graduating with a BSc in 1959 and a PhD in 1962.
He has worked in the Department of Physics at the University of Nottingham since 1964.
Awards and honours
- 1983 Gold Medal of the Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- 1984 Joint award of the Royal Society Welcome Foundation Gold Medal and Prize.
- 1986 Elected Fellow of Queen Mary College (now Queen Mary and Westfield College), London University
- 1987 Elected Fellow of the Royal Society, London
- 1987 Elected President of the Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- 1988 Awarded Duddell Medal and Prize by the Institute of Physics
- 1988 Awarded Silvanus Thompson Medal by the British Institute of Radiology.
- 1989 Antoine Béclère Medal from the International Society of Radiology and the Antoine Béclère Institute in Paris.
- 1990 Royal Society Mullard Award (joint with John Mallard & Jim Hutchinson)
- 1992 International Society of Magnetic Resonance (ISMAR) prize (joint with P. Lauterbur)
- 1993 Knighted
- 1993 Silver Plaque of the European Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine and Biology.
- 1993 Elected Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Radiology and Honorary Member of the British Institute of Radiology
- 1994 Elected Honorary Member of the Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Fellow of the Society of Magnetic Resonance
- 1995 Garmisch-Partenkirchen Prize for MRI.
- 1995 Gold Medal of the European Congress of Radiology and the European Association of Radiology.
- 1997 Honorary Fellow of the Institute of Physics
- 2003 Nobel Prize for Medicine with Paul Lauterbur.
- University of Nottingham: Peter Mansfield homepage
- Nobel Prize 2003 Press Release
- Appearance on Desert Island Discs
- Peter Mansfield US Patents
- Peter Mansfield autobiography
Nobel Laureates in Physiology or Medicine (2001–2011)
- Leland H. Hartwell / Tim Hunt / Paul Nurse (2001)
- Sydney Brenner / H. Robert Horvitz / John E. Sulston (2002)
- Paul Lauterbur / Peter Mansfield (2003)
- Richard Axel / Linda B. Buck (2004)
- Barry Marshall / Robin Warren (2005)
- Andrew Fire / Craig Mello (2006)
- Mario Capecchi / Martin Evans / Oliver Smithies (2007)
- Harald zur Hausen / Luc Montagnier / Françoise Barré-Sinoussi (2008)
- Elizabeth Blackburn / Carol W. Greider / Jack W. Szostak (2009)
- Robert G. Edwards (2010)
- Bruce Beutler / Jules A. Hoffmann / Ralph M. Steinman (posthumously) (2011)
- Complete list
2003 Nobel Prize laureates Chemistry: Economic Sciences: Literature: Peace: Physics: Physiology or Medicine:
- Nobel Prize winners: 02
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Peter Mansfield — Sir Peter Mansfield (* 9. Oktober 1933 in London) ist ein britischer Physiker, emeritierter Professor für Physik an der University of Nottingham und Träger des Medizinnobelpreises von 2003. Diesen erhielt er gemeinsam mit Paul Christian Lauterbur … Deutsch Wikipedia
Peter Mansfield — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Peter Mansfield Nacimiento 9 de octubre de 1933 (76 años) … Wikipedia Español
Peter Mansfield — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Mansfield. Peter Mansfield Sir Peter Mansfield, FRS, (né le 9 octobre 1933 à Lond … Wikipédia en Français
Peter Mansfield — Sir Peter Mansfield, (Nacido el 9 de octubre, de 1933),físico británico galardonado con el Premio Nobel de Fisiología o Medicina del 2003 por invención y desarrollo de la resonancia magnética nuclear.Compartido con Paul Christian Lauterbur … Enciclopedia Universal
Peter Mansfield (historian) — Peter Mansfield was born in 1928 in Ranchi, India, and was educated at Winchester and Cambridge. In 1955 he joined the British Foreign Office and went to Lebanon to study Arabic at the Middle Wast Centre for Arabic Studies. In November 1956 he… … Wikipedia
Mansfield (disambiguation) — Mansfield may refer to: Mansfield, a town in Nottinghamshire, England, pop. 69,987 or it may refer to: Contents 1 Places 1.1 Australia 1.2 Canada 1.3 United Kingdom … Wikipedia
Mansfield (desambiguación) — Mansfield es una ciudad del condado de Nottinghamshire, Inglaterra. Mansfield también puede referirse a: Lugares Australia Mansfield, en el estado de Victoria. Mansfield, en el estado de Queensland, suburbio de Brisbane. Mansfield Park, en el… … Wikipedia Español
Mansfield — ist der Name folgender Orte: in England: Mansfield (Nottinghamshire) Mansfield (District), ein Bezirk in Nottinghamshire in den Vereinigten Staaten: Mansfield (Arkansas) Mansfield (Connecticut) Mansfield (Georgia) Mansfield (Illinois) Mansfield… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mansfield — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sommaire 1 Toponymes 1.1 Australie … Wikipédia en Français
Mansfield, Connecticut — Town Flag … Wikipedia