- Medical equipment
Medical equipment is designed to aid in the diagnosis, monitoring or treatment of medical conditions.
There are several basic types:
- Diagnostic equipment includes medical imaging machines, used to aid in diagnosis. Examples are ultrasound and MRI machines, PET and CT scanners, and x-ray machines.
- Therapeutic equipment includes infusion pumps, medical lasers and LASIK surgical machines.
- Life support equipment is used to maintain a patient's bodily function. This includes medical ventilators, anaesthetic machines, heart-lung machines, ECMO, and dialysis machines.
- Medical monitors allow medical staff to measure a patient's medical state. Monitors may measure patient vital signs and other parameters including ECG, EEG, blood pressure, and dissolved gases in the blood.
- Medical laboratory equipment automates or helps analyze blood, urine and genes.
- Diagnostic Medical Equipment may also be used in the home for certain purposes, e.g. for the control of diabetes mellitus
A biomedical equipment technician (BMET) is a vital component of the healthcare delivery system. Employed primarily by hospitals, BMETs are the people responsible for maintaining a facility's medical equipment.
- 1895, X-ray, by Wilhelm Röntgen
- 1903, electrocardiograph, by Willem Einthoven
- 1956, endoscope, by Basil Hirschowitz
- 1958, ultrasound scan, by Ian Donald
- 1973, CT (CAT) scan, by Godfrey Hounsfield and Allan Cormack
- 1982, artificial heart, by Robert Jarvik
Notable medical equipment companies
- Abbott Laboratories
- Cameron Health
- Cardinal Health, Columbus, Ohio
- Boston Scientific
- Beckman Coulter
- GE Healthcare
- Getinge Group
- Heine Optotechnik
- Johnson & Johnson
- St. Jude Medical
- Siemens AG
- Medical technology
- Medical device
- Durable medical equipment
- Home medical equipment
- Surgical instruments
- Medical test
- Medical grade silicone
- ^ The Running Press Cyclopedia: The Portable, Visual Encyclopedia.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
medical equipment — medicininis įrenginys statusas T sritis automatika atitikmenys: angl. medical equipment vok. medizinische Ausrüstung, f rus. медицинское оборудование, n pranc. appareil médical, m … Automatikos terminų žodynas
medical equipment — See panel ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Medical and surgical equipment includes: aspirator audiometer aural speculum auriscope autoclave body scanner bronchoscope ca(n)nula catheter CAT scanner clamp CT (computed tomography) scanner curette … Useful english dictionary
medical equipment — instruments and tools that are used in medicine … English contemporary dictionary
Medical equipment management — Healthcare Technology Management (also known as medical equipment management, biomedical equipment management, clinical technology services, biomedical engineering, clinical engineering, or clinical equipment management) is a fundamental part of… … Wikipedia
International Medical Equipment Collaborative (IMEC) — Infobox Organization name = International Medical Equipment Collaborative image border = size = 200px caption = IMEC Logo formation = 1995 type = Non Governmental Organization (NGO) headquarters = North Andover, Massachusetts location = Motto =… … Wikipedia
Home medical equipment — This article discusses the definitions and types of home medical equipment (HME), also known as durable medical equipment (DME), prosthetics and orthotics (DMEPOS). HME / DMEPOS Home medical equipment is a category of devices used for patients… … Wikipedia
Durable medical equipment — is a term of art used to describe any medical equipment used in the home to aid in a better quality of living. It is a benefit included in most insurances. In some cases certain Medicare benefits, that is, whether Medicare may pay for the item.… … Wikipedia
Medical Australia Limited — (formerly BMDi TUTA Healthcare Pty Ltd) is an Australian listed company (ASX:MLA) located in North Sydney, Australia. MLA’s brands are: TUTA, TUTA Vet, BMDi TUTA Healthcare Pty Ltd and Clements Medical Equipment. Medical Australia directly… … Wikipedia
Medical monitor — as used in anesthesia A medical monitor or physiological monitor or display, is an electronic medical device used in medical monitoring that displays the monitored data, and may or may not have the ability to transmit the data on a monitoring… … Wikipedia
Medical grade silicone — Medical grade silicones are silicones tested for biocompatibility and are appropriate to be used for medical applications. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates materials implanted into the body. Medical grade… … Wikipedia