Infobox World Heritage Site
WHS = Archaeological Site of Aigai (mod. name Vergina)
imagecaption= The minor Macedonian tomb discovered by Prof. K. Romaios near the palace of Aigai
State Party = GRE
Type = Cultural
Criteria = i, iii
ID = 780
Region = Europe and North America
Year = 1996
Session = 20th
Link = http://whc.unesco.org/sites/780.htm
Vergina (in Greek Βεργίνα) is a small town in northern
Greece, located in the prefecture of Imathia, Central Macedonia. The town became internationally famous in 1977, when the Greek archaeologist Manolis Andronikosunearthed what he claimed was the burial site of the kings of Macedon, including the tomb of Philip II, father of Alexander the Great. The finds established the site as the ancient Aigai.
The modern town of Vergina is about 13km south-east of the district centre of
Veroiaand about 80km south-west of Thessaloniki, the capital of Greek Macedonia. The town has a population of about two thousand people and stands on the foothills of Mount Pieria, at an elevation of 120m (360 ft) above sea level.
Modern Vergina was founded in 1922 near the two small agricultural villages of Koutles ( _el. Κούτλες;, "Kütleş"; Slavic: "Kutlesh" - Кутлеш) and Barbes (Greek: Mπάρμπες, Slavic: "Barbesh" - Барбеш) previously owned by the Turkish
beyof Palatitsi and inhabited by 25 Greek families in his employ as serfs. After the Treaty of Lausanneand the eviction of the Beylandlords, the land was distributed in lots to the existing inhabitants, and to 121 other Greek families from Bulgariaand Asia Minorafter population exchange agreements between Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey. The name for the new town was suggested by the then Metropolitan of Veria, who named it after a legendary queen of ancient Beroea (the modern Veria) who had supposedly lived in the vicinity.
Vergina is situated close to the site of ancient Aigai (latinised as "Aegae"), once the royal capital of ancient
Macedon, ruled by the Argead dynastyfrom about 650 BC onwards. (The ruins of another Aigai, one of the Aeolian "dodecapolis", lie 35 km south of ancient Pergamonin ancient Aeolis, now in Turkey).
Archaeologists were interested in the hills around Vergina as early as the 1850s, knowing that the site of Aigai was in the vicinity and suspecting that the hills were burial mounds. Excavations began in 1861 under the French archaeologist
Leon Heuzey, sponsored by the Emperor Napoleon III. Parts of the Macedonian royal palace of Antigonus III Doson(263–221), partly destroyed by fire, were discovered at Palatista, which preserved the memory of a royal site in its modern name. However, the excavations had to be abandoned because of the risk of malaria.
In 1937, the University of Thessaloniki resumed the excavations. More ruins of the ancient palace were found, but the excavations were abandoned on the outbreak of war with
Italyin 1940. After the war the excavations were resumed, and during the 1950s and 1960s the rest of the royal capital was uncovered. The Greek archaeologist Manolis Andronikosbecame convinced that a hill called the "Great Tumulus" (in Greek, Μεγάλη Τούμπα) concealed the tombs of the Macedonian kings. In 1977, Andronikos undertook a six-week dig at the Great Tumulus and found four buried chambers, which he identified as hitherto undisturbed tombs. Three more were found in 1980. Excavations continued through the 1980s and 1990s. Andronikos claimed that these were the burial sites of the kings of Macedon, including the tomb of Philip II, father of Alexander the Great. Andronikos maintained that another was of Alexander IV of Macedon, son of Alexander the Great and Roxana, and this has now become the firm view of archaeologists and the Greek government.
The museum and the artifacts
The museum which was inaugurated in 1993 was built in a way to protect the tombs, exhibit the artifacts and show the tumulus as it was before the excavations. Inside the museum there are four tombs and one small temple, the "
heroon" built as the temple of the great tomb of Philip II of Macedon. The two most important graves were not sacked and contained the main treasures of the museum. The tomb of Philip II, the father of Alexander was discovered in 1977 and was separated in two rooms. The main room included a marble sarcophagus, and in it was the "larnax" made of 24 carat gold and weighing 11 kilograms. Inside the golden larnax the bones of the dead were found and a golden wreath of 313 oak leaves and 68 acorns, weighing 717 grams. In the room were also found the golden and ivory panoply of the dead, the richly-carved burial bed on which he was laid and later burned and silver utensils for the funeral feast. In the antechamber, there was another sarcophagus with another smaller golden "larnax" containing the bones of a woman wrapped in a golden-purple cloth with a golden diadem decorated with flowers and enamel. There was one more partially destroyed by the fire burial bed and on it a golden wreath representing leaves and flowers of myrtle. Above the Doric orderentrance of the tomb there is a wall painting measuring 5.60 metres which represents a hunting scene.
1978another burial site was also discovered near the tomb of Philip, which belongs to Alexander IV of Macedonson of Alexander the Great. It was slightly smaller than the previous and was not sacked too. It was also arranged in two parts, but only the main room contained a cremated body this time. On a stone pedestal was found a silver hydriawhich contained the bones and on it a golden oak wreath. There were also utensils and weaponry. A narrow frieze with a chariot race decorated the walls of the tomb. The other two tombs were found to have been sacked. The "tomb of Persephone" was discovered in 1977 and although it contained no valuable things found, on its walls was found a marvellous wall painting showing the abduction of Persephoneby Pluto. The other tomb, discovered in 1980, is heavily damaged and may have contained valuable treasures while it had an impressive entrance with four Doric columns. It was built in the 4th century BCand the archaeologists believe that the tomb belonged to Antigonus II Gonatas.
On the lid of the "larnax" of Philip II there is a symbol of a sun or star and this Vergina Sun has been adopted as a symbol of Greek Macedonia. It became the subject of international controversy in 1991 when the newly independent
Republic of Macedoniaused the symbol on its flag. This outraged Greek public opinion, which saw the use of the symbol as an insult to its historical heritage and implying a territorial claim on Greece. In 1995 the Republic of Macedonia was forced to change its flag.
* [http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh351.jsp?obj_id=2362 Official website of the archaeological site]
* [http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/1/eh151.jsp?obj_id=3297 Official website of the Museum]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Vergina — (Сарти,Греция) Категория отеля: 1 звездочный отель Адрес: Sarti, Halkidiki, Сарти, 63072, Гр … Каталог отелей
Vergina — (Неа Потидея,Греция) Категория отеля: Адрес: Eleftheriou Venizelou 22, Неа Потидея, 63200 … Каталог отелей
Vergina — Stadtgemeinde Vergina (1997–2010) Δήμος Βεργίνας (Βεργίνα) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Vergina — Sitio arqueológico de Aigai (actual Vergina)1 Patrimonio de la Humanidad Unesco Entrada a una de las tumbas principales … Wikipedia Español
Vergina — Aigéai Localisation de Aigéai/Vergina en Grèce Aigéai (Αιγαί) fut la première capitale du royaume de Macédoine, avant d être supplantée par Pella. Le site archéologique en a été retrouvé près de la petite ville de Vergina par l archéologue… … Wikipédia en Français
Vergina — Sp Verginà Ap Βεργίνα/Vergina L Š Graikija … Pasaulio vietovardžiai. Internetinė duomenų bazė
Vergina — Emplazamiento arqueológico y antigua capital de Macedonia en el norte de Grecia. Erigida en un lugar habitado desde la edad de piedra, en sus comienzos se llamó Balla. El palacio de Palatítsia, parcialmente destruido por un incendio, data del… … Enciclopedia Universal
Vergina — Original name in latin Vergna Name in other language Aigeai, Aigai, Kutles, Kutlesh, Ktles, Vergina, Vergna, Veria, Veryina, Veryna, kutlesh, vuVerginaerugina, Кутлеш State code GR Continent/City Europe/Athens longitude 40.48111 latitude 22.31361 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Vergina — Vergịna [v ], Gemeinde in Griechenland, Verjina … Universal-Lexikon
Vergina — stor. Ege … Sinonimi e Contrari. Terza edizione