- Mega Channel
Mega Channel Launched 20 November 1989 Owned by Teletypos S.A. (ΤΗΛΕΤΥΠΟΣ Α.Ε.) Picture format 4:3, 16:9 (576i, SDTV) Audience share 16.7% (13/6/2011 - 19/6/2011, AGB) Country Greece Language Greek Website www.megatv.com Availability Terrestrial PAL various frequencies DVB-T DIGEA 02 multiplex. Satellite NOVA Greece Channel 105
Mega Channel, also known as Mega TV or just Mega, is a major television network in Greece. Teletypos S.A. was founded in 1989 under the name Teletypos Television Programmes S.A. and the trade name "MEGA CHANNEL." It was the first private television station in Greece, launched on air in November 20, 1989.
Mega's programming consists mainly of Greek programmes such as comedies, dramas, news, current affairs and entertainment shows. In recent years, Mega Channel has overtaken its main rival ANT1 as the most popular channel in Greece, largely due to hit shows like 50-50, Sto Para Pente' and Savvatogennimenes.
Mega Channel studios are located on Mesogeion Avenue in Athens. It was previously located in the town of Paeania, Attiki.
- November 20, 1989: Mega Channel went to air and the first program was broadcast.
- 1994: Mega became the first Medium to list its shares in the Main Market of the Athens Stock Exchange, while at the same time, it established the first cable television company in Greece, under the name "Multichoice Hellas SA," in which it participated with 42%, along with Myriad Development (51%) and Lumiere (7%).
- Late 1990s: Mega's website (megatv.com) was launched.
- Late 1990s: Mega became the sole broadcaster of the UEFA soccer matches and draws.
- 1997: Mega was ranked first in prime time (21:00-23:59) ratings with 27,4%. Cable TV had 250.000 subscribers.
- 1999-2000: Mega Channel changes its logo and programming after ten years since the channel's first air date.
- 2000: August, Teletypos SA founded Teletypos Cyprus Ltd, whose objective is the purchase and sale of programmes and technical know-how in the Cypriot and Middle East markets
- 2000-2001: Mega Channel launches their international network in North America on channel 602 on Dish Network and in Australia.
- April or May 2001: Mega signs contract with its journalist to keep reporting, during a strike which affected other channels of broadcasting news bulletins on hold, for a couple of days. There have been several general strikes which caused Mega and other channels stopped broadcasting bulletins and other programming for one day.
- September 2002: Mega introduces Meg and Ega (its mascots) to its network.
- November 26, 2003: Another journalist strike cripples the Mega News broadcasts.
- 2003: June, Teletypos SA transferred to its 100% subsidiary Teletypos Cyprus Ltd, 33% of the company Multichoice Hellas SA
- 2004: Teletypos S.A. sold 7% of its participation in Multichoice Hellas S.A.and exchanged the remaining 35% with a 12.5% participation in the Dutch cable television company NETMED NV
- October, The slogan changed to I Love TV, the love is in a form of the symbol as I♡TV.
- Late 2005: Mega Cosmos returns to Australia and Asia - Africa after a 5 year absence through UBI World TV.
- 2005-2007: Mega launched a sitcom called Sto Para Pente that would outmarch every other comedy show ever broadcast in Greece and would become one of the most popular shows in Greek television history. The show concluded at its second season..
- 2005/2006: Mega changed their slogan to "Megalicious".
- Late 2006: Mega Cosmos in the U.S. moves from Dish Network to rival DTH provider DirecTV.
- October 2007: Mega Cosmos returns to Canada after a 4 year absence through Ethnic Channels Group; its available on Rogers Cable & Bell TV.
- 2008: Mega Cosmos debuts in New Zealand via UBI World TV.
- 2008-2009: "Mega Gegonota", the news bulletin of the channel, tops AGB ratings..
- 2011: Mega changes its logo after ten years.
Current shows include:
- Anatropi (Backfall), - Current affairs talk show with focus on political issues, now in its 10th year, hosted by Gianni Pretenteri.
- WarZone Documentaries - Highly respected award winning documentary series, which takes its viewers to the world’s hot spots and to the centre of international news developments, now in its 8th year, hosted by Sotiris Danezis.
- Mega Gegonota (Mega News), Daily newscast in Greek featuring news from Greece and around the world. Airs daily 14am & 20am (central newscast hosted by Olga Tremi)with updates at 16:50am and 1:15pm
- Koinonia Ora MEGA (Community Time Mega), - A revamped version of its predecessor (Koinonia Ora 8). Current affairs show that examines the issues affecting everyday people in Greece and abroad. Features discussion with in-studio guests. The show is hosted by Giorgos Oikonomeas and Dimitris Kampourakis. Airs Monday - Friday at 7am.
- Mega Savvatokyriako (Mega Weekend), - Morning show for the Weekend. It features news, sports highlights, current affairs and more. Hosted by Iordanis Hasapopoulou and Μanolis Anagnostakis. Airs Saturdays & Sundays at 7am.
- Ereuna (Research);p A talk show, with focus on events from all over the world, hosted by Paulos Tsimas.
- Protagonistes (Leading Actors), ( A documentary-based show, which includes various strange stories about people's lives, hosted by Stavros Theodorakis
- Fifty-Fifty Game show,hosted by Giorgos Liagas. Airs Weekends at 6pm.
- Mega Star Lifestyle-music show, features gossip, tv & cinema news and general themes from the music industry, hosted by Katerina Stikoudi, Hara Makristathi & Giorgos Papadimitrakis.
- Proino Mou (My morning) - Lifestyle program features entertainment, music and more. Hosted by Giorgos Liagas & Fay Skorda. Airs Mondays - Fridays at 10am.
- Traction A cars' show, featuring famous drivers and car designers, based on the English Top Gear ,hosted by Kostas Stefanis.
- Food and the City - Documentary culinary show exploring local Athenian food, hosted by Vasilis Kallidis. (2010 - 2011)
- Money Drop - Game show based on the British The Million Pound Drop, hosted by Grigoris Arnaoutoglou. (2010 - today)
- Glykes Alchimies (Sweet alchemies) - Cooking show focusing on deserts, hosted by famed pastry chef Stelios Parliaros. (2009 - today)
- I Kipouri tou Mega (The gardeners of Mega) - Reality garden make-over show. (2010 - today)
- Just The Two Of Us - Reality celebrity singing competition based on the British Just The Two Of Us which entering its second season in fall 2011.
- Master Chef - Greek version of popular British reality cooking competition, hosted by Eugenia Manolidou. Season 2 premieres in 2012 and it will be hosted by Maria Synatsaki.
- Junior MasterChef- Greek version of popular British reality cooking competition, hosted by Maria Mpekatorou. Season 1 premieres in fall 2011.
- Kliniki Periptwsi (Clinic Periptosis), comedy
- Me lene Vaggeli (My name is Vaggelis), comedy based on the American sitcom My Name Is Earl
- Piso sto Spiti (Back to home), family comedy
- Einai makria akomi Mpampastroumf? (Is it Far Yet Mpampatroumf?), teen comedy
- Vasiliades (Kings), new daily family comedy. Premieres in 2012
- Peninta-Peninta (50-50), comedy now in its fourth season
- I Zoi tis allis (The life of the other), soap opera now in its third season, based on the Mexican series Querida Enemiga (Beloved Enemy)
- Patty, i pio omorfi istoria (Patty, the most beautiful story, original title Patito Feo), Argentinian teen comedy/drama
- Ta Mystika Tis Edem (The secrets of Eden), soap opera now in its fourth season
- I Genia Ton 592€ (The generation of 592 euros), comedy
- I Polykatoikia (The apartment building), comedy in its third season
- Koukles (Beautiful women), comedy/drama based on the American sitcom Girlfriends
- To Nisi (The island), drama based on the best-selling book The Island
- Oyk An Lavis Para Tou Mi Exontos(You can not take from someone who does not have),satirical animation comedy
- UEFA Champions League, (Tuesday matches and highlights)
- 2000/2001 season: Ραντεβού στο Mega (Rendezvous on Mega)
- 2001/2002 season: Ραντεβού στο Mega (Rendezvous on Mega)
- 2002/2003 season: Meg & Ega
- 2003/2004 season: Meg & Ega
- 2004/2005 season: I love TV
- 2005/2006 season: Megalicious
- 2006/2007 season: Megalicious
- 2007/2008 season: Megalicious
- 2008/2009 season: Megalicious
- 2009/2010 (September 2009 - February 2010) season: Tο Mega είναι 20 (Mega is 20)
- 2009/2010 (15/02/2010): Mega mou (My Mega)
- 2010/2011 season: Mega mou (My Mega)
Logo and Copyrights
From 2005, many clips aired, all with the slogan "Megalicious". In 2005-2007 were in-studio and from 2007 are live action. The previous Mega channel logo consisted of the text 'MEGA', with 'ME' widened to the left and 'GA' widened to the right. "Meg" and "Ega" (a computer-generated imagery cat and a dog respectively) which appear frequently in the TV station's idents, especially at Christmas, Easter or summer, can be considered the mascots of the station. The old Mega Channel logo consisted of 10 or 12 multicolored lines, with MEGA in the middle and sometimes channel located at the bottom. The colors started from yellow, golden yellow, gold, mandarin, slightly orange (on either side), orange-rose, orange-pink, rose and pink.
MEGA Cosmos is the international network of Mega Channel that broadcasts the 'best of Mega' programming to Greeks abroad in North America, Africa, Asia and Australia. The channel first started broadcasting in 2000 but was taken off the air in Australia sometime later due to contractual problems. As of late 2005, MEGA Cosmos is now once again available in Australia, Asia and Africa thanks to a new deal signed with UBI World TV, a satellite platform that broadcasts mainly foreign programming. On December 1, 2006 MEGA Cosmos moved from the Dish Network platform to DirecTV, in the United States. On April 1, 2011 MEGA Cosmos moved to Home2US from DirecTV.
In October 2007, the channel began broadcasting in Canada through Ethnic Channels Group on Rogers Cable, Bell TV and NEXTV (IPTV provider). It was originally available in Canada between 2001-2003 via Odyssey Television Network but a contractual dispute in the summer of 2003 resulted in the removal of MEGA Cosmos programming from the Canadian airwaves. After a 4 year absence, a deal was struck with Ethnic Channels Group in 2007 to bring the channel back to Canada.
Company's shareholder structure for 28/02/2011 (Shareholders owning 2.5% and above):
- Pegasus Publications S.A.: 26,82%
- Lambrakis Press S.A.: 22,11%
- BENBAY LIMITED: 5,09%
- BNP PARIBAS (SUISSE) SA:4,69%
- EFG BANK (MONACO) S.A.M.: 4,04%
- Premier Ltd: 3,49%
- Saran Holdings S.A.: 2,70%
- Tegopoulos Publications S.A.: 2,68%
- Teletypos Cyprus Ltd: 100% subsidiary (main business mainly in the purchase and sale of programmes, know-how etc. in the markets of Cyprus and the Middle East)
- LOGOS Informational and Cultural Company, Cyprus: owning 25%
- NETMED NV, dutch cable television company: 12,5%
- Multichoice Hellas S.A., greek cable televison company: 42%, in 2003 33% were transferred to Teletypos Cyprus but already in 2004 all 42% were exchanged with a 12.5% participation in the Dutch cable television company NETMED NV
- MEGA Cosmos Canada
- Mega Channel Cyprus
- List of programs broadcast by Mega Channel
- List of Greek television channels
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mega Channel — Страна Греция Зона вещания Греция, Европа, Северная Америка, Австралия Язык вещания греческий Формат изображения … Википедия
Mega Channel — Création 1989 Langue Grec Pays d origine Grèce Statut Généraliste nationale privée … Wikipédia en Français
Mega Channel — Nombre público Mega Tipo de canal Televisión privada Propietario Teletypos SA País Grecia Inicio de tran … Wikipedia Español
Mega Channel Cyprus — Mega Channel Type Broadcast television network Country … Wikipedia
List of programs broadcast by Mega Channel — This article lists programs broadcast by Mega Channel and on Mega Cosmos for international viewers from Greece and Cyprus: Serials * Oi Aparadektoi Comedy (1991 1993) * Ta Tria Kaka tou Moiras mou Comedy (1992 1994) * High Rock Comedy (1992 1995) … Wikipedia
MEGA Cosmos (Canada) — MEGA Cosmos MEGA Cosmos logo Launched October 12, 2007 Owned by Ethnic Channels Group Picture format 4:3 (480i, SDTV) … Wikipedia
Mega — or MEGA may refer to: Contents 1 Science 2 Television 3 Radio 4 … Wikipedia
Channel 4 programming — Channel 4, in common with the other main British stations broadcast on analogue, airs a highly comprehensive range of programming. It was established in 1982 with a specific intention of providing programming to groups of minority interests, not… … Wikipedia
Mega TV — Création 1989 Langue Grec Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Mega TV — may refer to: Mega TV (United States), a Spanish television network based in Florida MegaTV (Korea), a Korean IPTV service Mega Channel, a Greek television station Mega TV (Malaysia), a now defunct Malaysian cable television station See also Red… … Wikipedia