Niederentzen is located in France
Country France
Region Alsace
Department Haut-Rhin
Arrondissement Guebwiller
Canton Ensisheim
Intercommunality Centre Haut-Rhin
Mayor Jean-Pierre Widmer
Elevation 201–209 m (659–686 ft)
(avg. 205 m/673 ft)
Land area1 8.81 km2 (3.40 sq mi)
Population2 366  (2006)
 - Density 42 /km2 (110 /sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 68234/ 68127
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.
2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Coordinates: 47°56′55″N 7°22′55″E / 47.9486111111°N 7.38194444444°E / 47.9486111111; 7.38194444444

Niederentzen is a commune in the Haut-Rhin department in Alsace in north-eastern France.



The village of Niederentzen was established between the Vosges and the Rhine on the left bank of the Ill, at an altitude of 205 meters. It has an area of 8.81 square kilometres. It stretches between the Forest of the Thur and the vestiges of the Forest of Hardt. The wooded area is 1.35 km2 (0.52 sq mi) and 7.25 km2 (2.80 sq mi) is assigned to agriculture. The local climate is characterized by weak precipitation, 539 mm per annum on average, and an average annual temperature of 10.2 °C.


In this area a place called "Giessen" was discovered, along with tombs, jewels and ceramics dating from the first period of the Iron Age to the end of the Bronze Age.

The name (Nidern Enszheim 1276) is a contraction of "Nieder-Ensisheim" ("Nieder": lower). Niederentzen and Oberentzen were originally a single holding. In the thirteenth century, this holding was dissociated and Niederentzen became part of the territory of Murbach Abbey. In 1358, the village was taken by the Habsburgs, who gave it first to the lords of Hattstatt, and then, on their extinction (1585), to the Swiss noble family of Truchsess von Rheinfelden. Jean-Melchior Truchsess von Rheinfelden, who died in 1699, returned the property to the church. After the French Revolution, Niederentzen became part of Ensisheim.

During the nineteenth century, the American businessman Henri Castro offered lands in the state of Texas. Some inhabitants of Niederentzen responded and settled in Castroville and D'Hanis. This second city is currently twinned with Niederentzen; a portion of the village bears its name.

Coat of arms

The coat of arms of the village of Niederentzen was created in 1978 by M. Lucien Bilger, then mayor of the commune. It combines elements of the armorial bearings of the Hattstatt lords and the Truchsess nobles, illustrating the history of the village.


List of mayors
Date of election Name Action
The data before 1977 is unknown.
March 1977 M. Lucien Bilger Builds a vacation home
March 2001 M. Jean-Pierre Widmer Builds the fire department, the war memorial...


Demographic trends
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
207 226 263 312 320 322 366
Population since 1962: Without duplicates

See also


External links

Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries: