Rangers Ballpark in Arlington

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington

Infobox_Baseball_Stadium
stadium_name = Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
nickname = "The Ballpark"
nickname = "The Temple"


location = 1000 Ballpark Way
Arlington, Texas 76011
broke_ground = April 2, 1992
opened = April 1, 1994
closed =
demolished =
owner = Arlington Sports Facilities Development Authority
operator =
surface = Grass
construction_cost = $191 million
architect = David M. Schwarz/Architectural Services, Inc., HKS, Inc. (architect of record)
general_contractor = Manhattan Construction Company
former_names = The Ballpark in Arlington (1994-May 2004)
Ameriquest Field in Arlington (May 2004-March 2007)
tenants = Texas Rangers (MLB) (1994-present)
seating_capacity = 49,115 (1994)
dimensions = Left Field Line - 332 ft (102 m)
Left Field Jog - 354 ft (108 m)
Left-Center - 390 ft (119.0 m)
Deep Left-Center - 404 ft (123 m)
Center Field - 400 ft (122 m)
Deep Right-Center - 407 ft (124 m)
Right-Center - 377 ft (115 m)
Right-Center Jog - 381 ft (116 m)
Right Field Jog - 349 ft (106 m)
Right Field Line - 325 ft (99 m)
Backstop - 60 ft (18 m)

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is a ballpark in Arlington, Texas, located between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas. It was known until May 7, 2004, as The Ballpark in Arlington when Ameriquest bought the naming rights to the ballpark and named it Ameriquest Field in Arlington. Even with the changed name, many fans continued to refer to it as simply "The Ballpark." On Monday, March 19, 2007, the Texas Rangers severed their relationship with Ameriquest and announced that the stadium would be named Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

The stadium was constructed as a replacement for nearby Arlington Stadium. It is home to the American League's Texas Rangers, and the Legends of the Game Baseball Museum.

Previous names

From its opening until 2004, the Park was known as "The Ballpark in Arlington", but even today is colloquially referred to as "The Ballpark."

On May 7, 2004, Rangers owner Tom Hicks announced that he had negotiated a sale of the naming rights of the stadium to home mortgage company Ameriquest. The contract was worth $75 million over 30 years. As part of this contract, Ameriquest placed a large Liberty Bell (Ameriquest's corporate logo) in the ballpark, which rang for home runs and starts of games. [http://www.rangerfans.com/gallery_2/v/ballparkpics/ameriquest/img_0165.jpg.html This bell] replaced what used to be Section 201, thereby reducing seating capacity slightly.

In March 2007, in an undisclosed agreement between the two entities, Ameriquest relinquished those rights, and the stadium was renamed to Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. [ [http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/032007dnsporangerspark.2b52694c.html Texas Rangers News | Sports News | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas ] ] The bell was thus removed from Section 201 and seats were returned to this section.

Design

Funding was approved for a new home for the Texas Rangers in 1991 by the City of Arlington. Construction began on April 2, 1992 a short distance away from Arlington Stadium, the ballpark it would replace, and the new Ballpark in Arlington was opened on April 1, 1994 in an exhibition contest between the Texas Rangers and the New York Mets. The first official game was on April 11 against the Milwaukee Brewers.

The Ballpark was designed by David M. Schwarz Architectural Services of Washington, D.C. The Rangers chose to build a retro-style ballpark, incorporating many features of baseball's Jewel Box parks. A roofed home run porch in right field is reminiscent of Tiger Stadium, while the white steel frieze that surrounds the upper deck was copied from the pre-1973 Yankee Stadium. The out-of-town scoreboard is built into the left-field wall--a nod to Fenway Park, while the numerous nooks and crannies in the outfield fence are a reminder of Ebbets Field. The park's red brick and granite exterior was copied from Camden Yards, while the arched windows are a reminder of Comiskey Park. However, it has a few distinct features of its own. Several traditional Texas-style stone carvings are visible throughout the park. A four-story office building in center field encloses the park, with a white steel multilevel facade similar to the facade on the roof.

As the ballpark was built on one of the old Arlington Stadium parking lots, the irregular dimensions of the outfield were planned independently, rather than being forced by neighboring structures. The home plate, foul poles, and bleachers were originally at the old Arlington Stadium. The Home Plate was inserted into place by Richard Greene (then Mayor of Arlington), Elzie Odom (then USPS Postmaster General, Head of Arlington Home Run Committee and later Mayor of Arlington), and George W. Bush (former part Rangers owner, then Texas Governor and later President of the United States).

The Ballpark's convert|810|ft|m|sing=on-long facades are made of brick and Texas Sunset Red granite. Bas-relief friezes depict significant scenes from the history off both Texas and baseball. The calculus of seating arrangements represented a new economic model for the sport: a critical mass of high-dollar seats close to the infield boost ticket revenue. The stadium has three basic seating tiers: lower, club and upper deck. Two levels of luxury suites occupy spaces behind sliding glass doors above and below the club tier. [from David M. Schwarz/Architectural Services, ISBN 0-9679143-6-1]

Despite being hailed as a wonderful venue in its infant years, articles in the "Dallas Morning News" began to suggest that the ballpark would have been better served by having a dome or retractable roof - much like Minute Maid Park, the home of the Houston Astros - due to the sometimes-oppressive heat that can overtake Texas during baseball season. Many argue that the intense heat is a liability in attracting players, particularly starting pitchers.

That being said, it is questionable that retractable roof technology was a good candidate at the time the park was constructed, when modern mechanical retractable-roof ballparks like Chase Field, Safeco Field, Minute Maid Park, and Miller Park would not open until 4, 5, 6 and 7 years after the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, respectively. While retractable roof solutions did exist at the time, they had significant detractors. The Metrodome (not retractable), which opened in 1982, utilizes fiberglass fabric material for its roof, supported by air. This presents problems in switching between the two quickly and easily, and the Metrodome has been known to need repair periodically due to leaks in the roof. Furthermore, although subjective, many would argue that aesthetically, the Metrodome leaves much to be desired as a baseball facility, particularly when the Rangers were looking for a retro-style look. The Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome) also uses retractable roof technology, and is motorized, and opened in 1989. However, it had a whopping $570 million pricetag, being partially funded by the federal and provincial governments, the city of Toronto, as well as a consortium of corporations (though the Blue Jays now own the stadium, by way of parent company Rogers Communications). One reason for the extra funding sources was that it was a multipurpose venue, being used for a wide variety of sports, as well as conventions. This technology therefore would have been cost prohibitive to the Rangers, who would not have had the benefit of those extra sources of funding, and where the price tag was well over 6 times the cost of Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

The field is one of the notoriously hitter-friendly parks in baseball, due to the high temperatures and low humidity, relatively short fences, and the design of the stadium which has allowed the area's high winds to swirl and lift balls that wouldn't normally make it out. In truth, the park would give up even more home runs if not for the office building in center and the field being convert|22|ft|m below street level.

With a combination of the park's design and the naturally good hitters who've played for the Rangers, the team has put up some rather high home run totals. In 1996, the Rangers hit 221 homers. They eclipsed 200 again in 1998 (201), 1999 (230), 2001 (241), 2002 (230), 2003 (239), 2004 (227), and 2005 (260, four short of the all-time record of 264 by the 1997 Seattle Mariners). Many great sluggers such as Juan González, Iván Rodríguez, Rafael Palmeiro, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Alfonso Soriano, and Michael Young have taken advantage of the stadium. Paul Sorrento hit the ballpark's longest home run (491 ft). Unfortunately, Rangers' pitching (a traditional franchise weakness) has also suffered from the design of the park.

Despite the field being below street level, the park has a large number of obstructed-view seats. In some cases, the view is cut off by an overhang or underhang, and others are directly in front of the foul poles or support poles. Also, the design of the upper deck leaves it very far from the action. The view from the grandstand reserved sections in left is particularly obstructed.

"Greene's Hill" is a sloped section of turf located behind the center field fence at the home field of the balpark. The Hill serves as a batter's eye, providing a contrasting background behind the pitchers which enables hitters to more easily see the baseball after the pitcher's release. Named after former Arlington mayor, Richard Greene on November, 1997, Ballpark groundskeepers have recently added the Rangers' "T" logo in the middle of the Hill.

Rangers Home Runs by Year

Events Hosted

*Rangers Ballpark in Arlington was the site of the 1995 MLB All-Star Game.
*Rangers Ballpark hosted the first regular season interleague game on June 12, 1997, when the Rangers played the San Francisco Giants.

References

External links

* [http://www.ballparkdigest.com/visits/ameriquest.htm Ballpark Digest visit to Rangers Ballpark in Arlington]
* [http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/bpkarl.htm Ballparks.com Rangers Ballpark in Arlington Page]
* [http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tex/ballpark/tex_ballpark_history.jsp Rangers Ballpark in Arlington's Official history at Rangers site]
* [http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1000+Ballpark+Way+Arlington+TX+76011&ll=32.751369,-97.082587&spn=0.004079,0.010815&t=k Google Maps Aerial View of Rangers Ballpark in Arlington]
* [http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=12&Z=14&X=849&Y=4531&W=1&qs=%7carlington%7ctx%7c USGS aerial of Rangers Ballpark in Arlington]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

См. также в других словарях:

  • Rangers Ballpark in Arlington — Généralités Noms précédents The Ballpark in Arlington (1994 mai 2004) Ameriquest Field in Arlington (mai 2004 mars …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Rangers Ballpark In Arlington — The Ballpark, The Temple Adresse 1000 Ballpark Way Arlington, TX 76011 …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Rangers ballpark in arlington — The Ballpark, The Temple Adresse 1000 Ballpark Way Arlington, TX 76011 …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Rangers Ballpark in Arlington — Rangers Ballpark Nombre completo Rangers Ballpark in Arlington Localización Arlington, Texas Inauguración …   Wikipedia Español

  • Rangers Ballpark in Arlington — The Ballpark Daten Ort Arli …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Ballpark in Arlington — Rangers Ballpark in Arlington Rangers Ballpark in Arlington The Ballpark, The Temple Adresse 1000 Ballpark Way Arlington, TX 76011 …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Rangers Ballpark — in Arlington Rangers Ballpark in Arlington The Ballpark, The Temple Adresse 1000 Ballpark Way Arlington, TX 76011 …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Rangers Ballpark —  in Arlington is the formal name of the home of the Texas Rangers baseball team …   Bryson’s dictionary for writers and editors

  • The Ballpark in Arlington — Rangers Ballpark in Arlington Rangers Ballpark in Arlington The Ballpark, The Temple Adresse 1000 Ballpark Way Arlington, TX 76011 …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Rangers De Texas — Rangers du Texas Texas Rangers Fondation 1961 Ligue …   Wikipédia en Français


Поделиться ссылкой на выделенное

Прямая ссылка:
Нажмите правой клавишей мыши и выберите «Копировать ссылку»