- Davey Havok
Davey Havok performing live in 2009.
Background information Birth name David Paden Passaro Born November 20, 1975
in Rochester, New York, USA
Origin Ukiah, California, USA Genres Alternative rock, hardcore punk, deathrock, synthpop, darkwave, EBM Occupations Singer, actor, fashion designer Instruments vocals Years active 1991–present Associated acts AFI
Son of Sam
David Paden Marchand (born David Paden Passaro, on November 20, 1975, in Rochester, New York), more commonly known by the stage name Davey Havok, is the lead vocalist of the American rock band AFI and the electronic music band Blaqk Audio.
Havok was born in Rochester, New York, and is of Italian ancestry. At the age of three, his father died and when his mother later remarried he took on the surname of his stepfather, Marchand. When Havok was six years old, he and his family moved from Rochester to Ukiah, California. There, Havok attended Catholic school until the eighth grade.
In high school one day, he and his friends Mark Stopholese and Vic Chalker decided to start a band, even though they did not own nor could play any instruments. Stopholese suggested that his friend Adam Carson join the band as a drummer, because he knew Carson owned a drum set.
Shortly after high school, the band broke up and Havok moved to Berkeley, California, where he attended UC Berkeley, planning to double major in English and Psychology. He began constantly writing lyrics to songs that would eventually appear on the albums Answer That and Stay Fashionable and Very Proud of Ya.
The band played at the Phoenix Theater for several hundred fans. Following the good reception from the fans, they decided to reunite and record an album. In 1995, the band's first album Answer That and Stay Fashionable was released on Wingnut Records and in 1996, their second album Very Proud of Ya was released on Nitro Records. In 1997, the band released their third full length album, Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes, in which Davey's lyrics are more serious, being about religion and other social points.
The next release was the A Fire Inside EP. It featured covers of The Cure's "The Hanging Garden", in which Davey got to flaunt Robert Smith influences, and "Demonomania" by The Misfits. In 1999, the band released Black Sails in the Sunset, which was the first album to include the current line-up: Havok, Carson, Hunter Burgan and Jade Puget. In the fall of 1999, they released the All Hallows EP, which has gathered a cult following among the fanbase, and is perhaps their most popular EP.
In 2000, they released The Art of Drowning to fair record sales, and great acclaim by fans of the band. The group had toured with another band, Samhain, on their reunion tour. Havok later joined three Samhain musicians, Steve Zing, London May and Todd Youth, and recorded an album in the vein of Samhain under the name Son of Sam, entitled Songs from the Earth. In 2000 when Michale Graves had left the Misfits, Havok was approached by Roadrunner Records to be the new lead singer of Misfits. However, Havok told an interviewer that he'd never leave AFI as it was his own band.
Following Davey's work with Son of Sam, AFI continued to tour for a few years and released a few EPs along the way. In 2003, the band's first major label release, Sing the Sorrow, was released, attaining great record sales.
On June 6, 2006, Decemberunderground was released on Interscope Records. Havok, along with AFI, toured around the world, each tour named after a song from the album. Along with this concert series, AFI's first DVD, I Heard a Voice – Live from Long Beach Arena was released on December 12, 2006, containing the live concert from Long Beach Arena from September 15, 2006. This DVD was released as in CD version in November 2007.
On August 14, 2007, Havok's new electronic side project with AFI guitarist Jade Puget, Blaqk Audio, released their first album, entitled CexCells. Blaqk Audio went on a two month long American/Canadian tour following the release.
AFI's eighth studio album Crash Love was released on September 29, 2009.
Glitterboy Clothing was a short-lived fashion line created by Havok. It was partly inspired by the 70s glam music scene, among other things. The line was canceled due to creative differences between Havok and Serious.
Paden was released in 2007 and was available exclusively through Fred Segal clothing stores in California.
On September 3, 2007, Jeffree Star posted a bulletin on MySpace, stating that he and Havok had modeled for the whole of Tarina Tarantino's brand new jewellery line, Tokyo Hardcore. The catalogue was released in September 2007 and a teaser video was posted on Buzznet along with a journal by Tarantino.
Launched in August 2008, Havok's newest clothing line features high-quality t-shirts with a limited pressing of 100 shirts per design. The line "pays homage to pop culture, forward thinking, and hedonism." A jewelry line was released in March 2009. The jewelry line is a collaboration between Zu Boutique and PNUT Jewelry run by Rusty Pistachio of punk band H2O fame. The jewelry will also be limited, with only 10 to 90 pieces of each design made.
In August 2009, Davey Havok designed a new shoe with Macbeth Footwear for the Zu Boutique clothing line.
In 2009, Havok joined sci-fi movie legend Lance Henriksen and horror movie icons Bill Moseley and Danielle Harris in the cast of the "illustrated film" series Godkiller. Havok voices the antagonist role, a fallen god named Dragos. Havok previously voiced the role of Hay in the stop-motion animated film Live Freaky Die Freaky. He also played a small part in a 1997 indie film Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore.
With Son of Sam
- Songs from the Earth (2001)
With Blaqk Audio
- CexCells (2007)
- Bright Black Heaven (2011)
Havok has appeared as a guest vocalist on releases from various other bands, including:
- Background vocals on Tiger Army's Tiger Army, Tiger Army II: Power of Moonlite, Tiger Army III: Ghost Tigers Rise under a different name and Music from Regions Beyond.
- The Transplants song "Quick Death" from their self-titled album.
- The Nerve Agents track "Jekyl and Hyde" from their second release, Days of the White Owl.
- Backing vocals for The Offspring albums Ixnay on the Hombre and Americana.
- The Dance Hall Crashers song "I Don't Wanna Behave", from the album Lockjaw.
- The Fury 66 track "Blue Strip".
- The Heckle cover of The Misfits song "Astro-Zombies".
- Havok also appears on Bleeding Through's DVD, Wolves Among Sheep.
- Havok is seen on the Eighteen Visions's CD/DVD while recording their self-titled album.
- Havok sang a duet with Billie Joe Armstrong twice on Green Day's 2nd leg of the North American 21st Century Breakdown Tour, which is rumored to be on the next Green Day live album.
- Sang the Operation Ivy (band) song "Knowledge" with Tim Armstrong and "Radio" with Rancid on the Give 'Em the Boot DVD.
- Voice featured, along with other hardcore punk luminaries, in an answering machine recording on the All Bets Off album, "Girls About Songs".
- Sang a cover of Straight Edge Revenge by Project X alongside the hardcore punk band Ceremony on November 6, 2008 in Berkeley California. The Video is viewable on YouTube.
- Featured vocals in the Scarlet Grey song "The Sky & I" on their album Fancy Blood.
- ^ "BMI Repertoire Search". http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&keyid=8080040&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID. Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- ^ "Interview with Adam Carson". 3:50. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP-PuSMNY-Q. Retrieved 2010-05-23. "People don't know my middle name? /--/ Dave's is Paden."
- ^ Austin Scaggs interview with Davey Havok. Rolling Stone.
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIjKw48DshY
- ^ http://www.tarinatarantino.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=7390
- ^ Tarinatarantino's Journal - Buzznet
- ^ http://shop.zuboutique.com/
- ^ http://shop.zuboutique.com/system/0000/0089/jewelry.html
- ^ Gingold, Michael. "Genre Names Speaking Up For Godkiller". Fangoria. February 25, 2009.
- ^ "Davey Havok, Justin Guarini Join American Idiot". CBS News. February 9, 2011. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/09/ap/entertainment/main7334933.shtml.
- ^ Knife Fight cast
- ^ http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/rancids-tim-armstrong-launches-musical-theater-web-series-20111003
AFI Studio albums Live albums
- Eddie Picnic's All Wet
- I Heard a Voice – Live from Long Beach Arena
Compilation albums EPs Singles Related articlesDavey Havok · Jade Puget Studio albumsCexCells · Bright Black Heaven Singles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Davey Havok — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Davey Havok [[Archivo:Archivo:Davey Havok.jpg|200px]] Información personal Nombre real David Anthony Passaro Nacimiento 20 de noviembre … Wikipedia Español
Davey Havok — (2009) Davey Havok (* 20. November 1975 in Rochester, New York, USA, eigentlich David Paden Marchand, geboren als David Passaro) ist ein US amerikanischer Sänger und Texter, der vor allem durch die Band AFI bekannt wurde … Deutsch Wikipedia
Davey Havok — (né le 20 novembre 1975 à Rochester dans l’État de New York) est le chanteur américain du groupe de punk rock à tendance rock gothique AFI. Biographie Peu de temps après sa naissance, sa … Wikipédia en Français
Davey — may refer to: Given name Davey Allison, former NASCAR race car driver Davey Armstrong, American boxer Davey Graham, British folk guitarist Davey Havok, stage name of David Marchand, lead vocalist of the rock band AFI Davey Johnson, former Major… … Wikipedia
Havok FX — Der Name Havok steht für Computer: das Havok Software Development Kit zur Physikberechnung, siehe Havok (Software) eine irische Softwarefirma, siehe Havok (Unternehmen) Personen: den kanadischen Profiwrestler Johnny Devine Davey Havok, Sänger der … Deutsch Wikipedia
Havok — Der Name Havok steht für Computer: das Havok Software Development Kit zur Physikberechnung, siehe Havok (Software) eine irische Softwarefirma, siehe Havok (Unternehmen) Personen: den kanadischen Profiwrestler Johnny Devine Davey Havok, Sänger der … Deutsch Wikipedia
AFI (band) — AFI AFI performing at 2007 s Live Earth in New Jersey Background information Origin Ukiah, California, United States … Wikipedia
AFI (banda) — AFI Datos generales … Wikipedia Español
Crash Love — Studio album by AFI Released September 29, 2009 … Wikipedia
Blaqk Audio — Infobox musical artist Name = Blaqk Audio Img capt = From left to right: Davey Havok and Jade Puget Background = group or band Origin = Oakland, California, USA Genre = Electronica, Synthpop, Techno Labels = Interscope Records Years active =… … Wikipedia