- Donovan in Concert (1968 album)
- For the 1994 CD called Donovan in Concert, see Rising (Donovan album)
Donovan in Concert Live album by Donovan Released August 1968 (U.S.) Recorded September 23, 1967 Genre Folk rock, psychedelic rock Length 55:00 Label Epic (U.S.)
Producer Mickie Most Professional reviews Donovan chronology A Gift from a Flower to a Garden
Donovan in Concert
The Hurdy Gurdy Man
Donovan in Concert is the sixth album from Scottish singer-songwriter Donovan, and the first live album of his career. It was recorded in the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California on September 23, 1967. It was released in the United States in August 1968 (Epic Records BN 26386 (stereo)) and in the United Kingdom in September 1968 (Pye Records NPL 18237 (monaural) / NSPL 18237 (stereo)). The album reached #18 on the U.S. charts.
This concert was recorded in September 1967, several months before Donovan released A Gift from a Flower to a Garden, and the concert included several songs that would not have been widely known to a US audience, including some which were UK single b-sides. "Poor Cow" is introduced by Donovan as "Poor Love", its original title, which was changed when the song appeared in the film Poor Cow. It retained that title when released as the b-side to "Jennifer Juniper" in February of 1968.
The music at the concert was much more subdued than Donovan's singles of the time, and Donovan was backed by the core group of musicians who had recorded with him on his previous albums including flautist Harold McNair and percussionist Tony Carr. They play many genres of music, from folk to jazz. The concert was introduced by an unnamed announcer, who then hands the proceedings to Donovan's father Donald Leitch.
Following is a list detailing the releases of the studio versions of each song. Songs that were unreleased at the time of the concert are noted with an asterisk (*):
- "Isle of Islay"* (from A Gift from a Flower to a Garden, released December 1967)
- "Young Girl Blues" (from Mellow Yellow, released March 1967)
- "There Is a Mountain" (single, released August 1967)
- "Poor Cow"* (b-side of "Jennifer Juniper" single, released February 1968)
- "Celeste" (from Sunshine Superman, released September 1966)
- "The Fat Angel" (from Sunshine Superman, released September 1966)
- "Guinevere" (from Sunshine Superman, released September 1966
- "Widow with Shawl (A Portrait)"" (from A Gift from a Flower to a Garden, released December 1967)
- "Preachin' Love" (b-side of "Mellow Yellow" single, released October 1966)
- "The Lullaby of Spring"* (from A Gift from a Flower to a Garden, released December 1967)
- "Writer in the Sun" (from Mellow Yellow, released March 1967)
- "Pebble and the Man"* (released as "Happiness Runs" on Barabajagal, August 11, 1969)
- "Rules and Regulations"* (no studio version released except a demo tape)
- "Mellow Yellow" (single, released October 1966)
- On February 15, 2002, Beat Goes On Records reissued Donovan In Concert' (BGOCD 90) on compact disc in the UK.
- In 2006 EMI reissued a 2cd remastered version of the album Donovan In Concert-The Complete 1967 Anaheim Show (094635410020) in the UK.
All tracks by Donovan Leitch.
- "Isle of Islay" – 4:21
- "Young Girl Blues" – 6:09
- "There Is a Mountain" – 3:04
- "Poor Cow" – 3:28
- "Celeste" – 5:15
- "The Fat Angel" – 3:24
- "Guinevere" – 2:42
- "Widow with Shawl (A Portrait)" – 3:34
- "Preachin' Love" – 5:03
- "The Lullaby of Spring" – 3:08
- "Writer in the Sun" – 4:30
- "Pebble and the Man" – 3:10
- "Rules and Regulations" – 2:54
- "Mellow Yellow" – 4:18
- Donovan – Guitar, Harmonica, Vocals
- Tony Carr – Percussion
- Harold McNair – Flute
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Donovan in Concert — Album par Donovan Sortie août 1968 Enregistrement 17 novembre 1967 Anaheim Convention Center (Anaheim) Durée 55:00 Genre folk rock … Wikipédia en Français
Donovan In Concert — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Donovan In Concert Álbum de Donovan Publicación Agosto de 1968 Género(s) Folk, Jazz … Wikipedia Español
Donovan discography — Donovan s discography Contents 1 Discography 1.1 Studio and live albums 1.2 Compilations 1.3 Tribute albums 1 … Wikipedia
Donovan Leitch — Donovan 2007 Donovan (* 10. Mai 1946 in Glasgow, Schottland als Donovan Philip Leitch) ist ein britischer Sänger, Gitarrist und Songwriter auf dem Gebiet der Folk Musik. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Biografie … Deutsch Wikipedia
Donovan (Musiker) — Donovan (2007) Autogramm (2011) Donov … Deutsch Wikipedia
Donovan — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Donovan Información personal Nombre real Donovan Phillips Leitch … Wikipedia Español
Donovan — For other uses, see Donovan (disambiguation). Donovan Donovan performing in Washington, D.C. in 2007 Background information Birth name Donovan P … Wikipedia
1968 in music — Events*January 4 Guitarist Jimi Hendrix is jailed by Stockholm police, after trashing a hotel room during a drunken fist fight with bassist Noel Redding. *January 6 Gibson Guitar Corporation patents its Gibson Flying V electric guitar design.… … Wikipedia
1968 en musique — • Retour à la chronologie générale de la musique • XXIe siècle • XXe siècle • XIXe siècle • XVIIIe siècle • XVIIe siècle • XVIe siècle … Wikipédia en Français
Donovan (musicien) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Donovan. Donovan en concert à Washington en 2007 Donovan, de son vrai nom Donovan Philip Leitch (né le 10 mai 1946 dans le … Wikipédia en Français