- National Institute for Discovery Science
National Institute for Discovery Science
The National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDSci) was a privately financed research organization based in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
It was founded in 1995 by real-estate developer Robert Bigelow, who set it up to research and advance serious study of various fringe science, and paranormal topics, most notably ufology. Deputy Administrator Colm Kelleher, Ph.D. is quoted as saying the organization is not designed to study UFO's only. "We don't study aliens, we study anomalies. They're the same thing in a lot of people's minds, but not in our minds."
NIDSci has at various times employed scientists such as Eric W. Davis, who has worked for NASA on topics related to the claims of Eugene Podkletnov and who has also worked for the Institute for Advanced Studies at Austin.
NIDSci was disbanded in October 2004.
The National Institute for Discovery Science was founded by Robert Bigelow as a way to channel funds into the purportedly scientific study of paranormal phenomena. They have done research into the area of cattle mutilation and also became the FAA's sole recipient for black triangle reports.[vague] In 2002, NIDS issued a report which said the black triangles were U.S. military prototype blimps, a finding agreed to by other experts but not confirmed by the military.
A hotline was established in 1999 to receive reports of odd occurrences. Over 5,000 calls and emails have come in to the organization.[vague] Officials say many are explained as missile test launches and meteors.
- ^ Dorio Mark (2005) "Ufology: A Very Short Introduction", Trafford Publishing, ISBN 1412064732
- ^ a b Mercer, Brandon M.. "The UFO Hunters - Scientists at the National Institute for Discovery Science study anomalous phenomena". UFO Evidence. http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc1200.htm. Retrieved 2007-06-30.
- ^ David, Leonard. "Investigation Casts Light on Mysterious Flying Black Triangle". www.space.com. http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/black_triangle_020805.html. Retrieved 2007-06-30.
- ^ Knapp, George. "Las Vegas Based Scientists Study Skinwalker Ranch". Channel 8 Eyewitness News. http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4275629. Retrieved 2007-06-30.
- ^ Whiting, Lezlee E.. "Mysteries of UFO ranch in spotlight". Deseret News. http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635201708,00.html. Retrieved 2007-06-30.
- NIDSci Official Website (static image of NIDSci logo, no text or hyperlinks)
- NIDSci's Official Website WayBackMachine (Set at October 7, 2007. Articles still available for download)
- NIDS - Robert Bigelow - a collection of news articles about the NIDS' early days
- The UFO Hunters - Scientists at National Institute for Discovery Science study anomalous phenomena
- Where the Steers and the Aliens Play an article by Sean Castel in Fate, August, 1998
- The End of the National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDS)
- Bigelow’s Aerospace and Saucer Emporium, Skeptical Inquirer 33.4, July/August 2009
UFOs and ufology Notable Incidents Scientific studies UFO conspiracy theory Culture Involvement Skeptics
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Institute for Biological Standards and Control — Abbreviation NIBSC Formation 1972 Legal status Government agency Purpose/focus Biological standards and research into pandemic flu Location … Wikipedia
National Institute of Mental Health — Agency overview Formed April 14, 1949 Headquarters Bethesda, Maryland, U.S … Wikipedia
National Center for Supercomputing Applications — For the center of the same name in Bulgaria, see National Center for Supercomputing Applications (Bulgaria). National Center for Supercomputing Applications … Wikipedia
National Center for Computational Sciences — The National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) is a United States Department of Energy Leadership Computing Facility. The NCCS provides resources for calculation and simulation in fields including astrophysics, materials, and climate… … Wikipedia
Discovery Science (UK TV channel) — Discovery Science Launched 20 July 1997 Owned by Discovery Networks Western Europe Picture format 576i (16:9 SDTV) Audience share 0.1% 0.0% (+1) (June 2011, BARB) Country United … Wikipedia
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology — Established 2001 President Tamotsu Nomakuchi Admin. staff 3200 Location Coordinates … Wikipedia
National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology — University of the Philippines National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology Established 1979 Type Research Institute Director Reynaldo V. Ebora (Los Baños) Cynthia T. Hedreyda (Diliman) Location Los Baños … Wikipedia
National Institute on Drug Abuse — The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) is a United States federal government research institute whose mission is to lead the Nation in bringing the power of science to bear on drug abuse and addiction.  Contents 1 History … Wikipedia
National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research — Swami Vivekanand National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research Academic block Established 3 December 1975 Type Govt. of India, Research, Institution Director Dr. Sanjay Kumar Das Students 560 per yr … Wikipedia
National Institute of General Medical Sciences — The National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) is a part of the National Institutes of Health that primarily supports research that lays the foundation for advances in disease diagnosis, treatment and prevention. The Institute s… … Wikipedia