- Origin Energy
Origin Energy Ltd Type Public Traded as ASX: ORG Industry Energy Founded February 2000, but parts of the business date from the 19th century Headquarters Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Key people Grant King (MD) Products Oil, gas and electricity Revenue A$8,534 million (2010,) Net income A$680 million after tax (2010) Employees 4,392 Website www.originenergy.com.au
Origin Energy was formed in February 2000, as a result of a demerger from the Australian conglomerate Boral Limited, in which the energy business was removed from the building and construction materials business to form the new company.
Between 2001 and 2002, Origin acquired the Victorian electricity retailers Powercor and CitiPower. In 2004, the SEA Gas Pipeline was completed and commissioned, which served to link the Victorian and South Australian gas markets. During this time, Origin obtained 50% interest in the Kupe Gas Field, and managed to obtain Edison Mission Energy's 51.4% interest in New Zealand's Contact Energy.
On 15 December 2010, Origin Energy had announced that it would purchase the retail divisions of Country Energy and Integral Energy from the Government of New South Wales, at a total cost of A$3,250 million, as well as entering a GenTrader agreement with Eraring Energy (in which Origin supplies fuel, pays certain charges, and can dispatch and sell electricity output, while Eraring Energy owns, operates and maintains the power stations). The transaction was completed on 1 March 2011..
Origin Energy is active in a number of sectors in the energy business:
- Oil and gas exploration and production - Origin has conventional oil and gas reserves in the Cooper Basin of South Australia and Queensland and in the Bass strait between Victoria and Tasmania and coalbed methane reserves in Queensland. Outside Australia, Origin operates the Kupe gas field in the Taranaki Basin of New Zealand.
- Retail - over three million retail customers of gas or electricity in Australia, New Zealand and the south Pacific, inclusive of the 800,000 customers of Sun Retail in QLD that were acquired in February 2007.
- Generation - generating electricity from natural gas including Osborne, Ladbroke Grove and Quartantine Power Stations in South Australia, Uranquinty in New South Wales, Mount Stuart Power Station in Townsville and Roma Power Station Queensland. Origin does not own any coal-fired power stations. Mortlake Power Station is being developed in Victoria.
- Contact Energy - Origin owns 52% of New Zealand electricity generation and retail company Contact Energy.
- Gas transportation and distribution - Origin had significant shareholdings in Envestra Limited (17%) and SEAGas pipeline (33%). These shareholdings were sold to APA Group during 2007, along with the assets of Origin Energy Asset Management. OEAM's major asset was its contract with Envestra for the maintenance of the Envestra natural gas distribution network.
- coal seam gas production and export is under development in conjunction with ConocoPhilips.
Origin is currently one of the largest residential solar retailers in Australia installing over 55MW of PV in the 12 months to August 2011. Of the large energy retailers Origin moved first and aggressively into the residential solar market. In July 2011 AGL, Origin's major competitor purchased small solar retailer Rezeko as a platform to complete in solar against Origin. AGL is yet to show success in residential solar. Origins biggest competitors in the space are True Value Solar and Nue Energy (by REC production).
Origin is active in the renewable energy arena. It has spent a number of years developing:
- Purchase contracts for the acquisition of electricity from Wind farms in South Australia and Victoria including the entire output produced by Pacific Hydro from the Challicum Hills wind farm located near Ararat and the Yambuk wind farm near Portland. Origin Energy is the largest buyer of wind energy in Australia. Origin does not hold any equity positions in Australian wind farms, although its partially-owned New Zealand affiliate, Contact Energy, has equity in New Zealand wind farms.
- A solar energy business using solar cell technology invented by a team led by Professor Andrew Blakers at The Australian National University. Origin Energy expected to be manufacturing its sliver cell technology for the Australian market by 2008.
- Geothermal power, a technology based on the conversion of heat sourced from deep, hot rocks into electricity. Origin's geothermal investment is via a minority shareholding stake in the Australian company Geodynamics.
- Kevin McCann - Chairman
- Grant King - Managing Director
- Karen Moses - Executive Director, Finance and Strategy
- Robbert Willink - Executive General Manager, Geoscience and Exploration New Ventures
- Frank Calabria - Executive General Manager, Energy Markets
- Andrew Clarke - Group General Counsel and Company Secretary
- Melanie Laing - Executive General Manager, People and Culture
- Carl McCamish - Executive General Manager, Corporate Affairs
- Paul Zealand - Executive General Manager, Upstream Oil and Gas
- Andrew Stock - Executive General Manager, Major Development Projects
- David Baldwin - Chief Development Officer
- Dennis Barnes - Chief Executive Officer Contact Energy
- ^ a b "Our history". Origin Energy. http://www.originenergy.com.au/233/History.
- ^ "Country Energy sold to Origin". The Young Witness. 17 December 2010. http://www.youngwitness.com.au/news/local/news/general/country-energy-sold-to-origin/2028447.aspx?storypage=1. Retrieved 17 December 2010.
- ^ "Origin completes acquisition of Integral Energy and Country Energy retail businesses and enters binding GenTrader arrangements with Eraring Energy". Origin. 1 March 2011. http://www.originenergy.com.au/news/article/asxmedia-releases/1271. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- ^ "Solar boom continues for Origin". Climate Speculator. 24 August 2011. http://www.climatespectator.com.au/commentary/solar-boom-continues-origin. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- ^ "AGL under the weather". Climate Speculator. 25 August 2011. http://www.climatespectator.com.au/commentary/agl-under-weather. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- ^ Origin Energy wind energy portfolio press release (Sept 2002)
- ^ Solar Energy at the ANU
- ^ Thin-cell solar power soon
- Origin Energy - Official Site
- Boral Limited - Boral Website
- Solar cells wait for their day in the sun
- GE Energy, CH2M Hill to build power plant in Australia
S&P/ASX 50 companies of Australia
AGL Energy · Alumina · Amcor · AMP · ANZ · Asciano · ASX · BHP Billiton · BlueScope Steel · Brambles · CFS Retail Property Trust · Coca-Cola Amatil · Commonwealth Bank · Computershare · Crown · CSL · Fortescue Metals Group · Foster's Group · GPT · Incitec Pivot · Insurance Australia Group · Leighton Holdings · Lend Lease · Macquarie Group · MAp Airports · Mirvac · National Australia Bank · Newcrest Mining · News Corporation · Oil Search · Orica · Origin Energy · Qantas · QBE Insurance · Rio Tinto · Santos · Sonic Healthcare · Stockland · Suncorp-Metway · Tabcorp · Telstra · Toll · Transurban · Wesfarmers · Westfield · Westfield Retail Trust · Westpac · Woodside Petroleum · Woolworths · WorleyParsons
Energy production in New South Wales Biomass combustionBroadwater Sugar Mill • Broadwater Biomass Co-Gen • Condong Sugar Mill • Condong Biomass Co-Gen • Harwood Sugar Mill • Visy Paper, Tumut CogenerationAmcor, Bomaderry • BlueScope Steel, Port Kembla • Caltex Refining, Kurnell • Macquarie University • Shell Refining, Clyde • Stadium Australia • University of Western Sydney • Visy Paper, Smithfield Coal fired power stations Gas fired power stations Hydroelectric power stations Wind FarmsBlayney • Crookwell • Hampton Distribution network operatorsAusgrid • Endeavour Energy • Essential Energy Transmission network operators Retail companies HistoricalAdvance Energy • Australian Inland • Electricity Commission of New South Wales • Great Southern Energy • Illawarra Electricity • Macquarie County Council (Western Power) • New England County Council (New England Electricity) • North West County Council (North West Electricity) • Northern Riverina County Council (Northern Riverina Electricity) • Northern Rivers County Council (Northern Rivers Electricity) • NorthPower • Ophir County Council (Ophir Electricity) • Orion Energy • Oxley County Council (Oxley Electricity) • Pacific Power • Peel-Cunningham County Council (PCCC Electricity) • Prospect Electricity • Shortland County Council (Shortland Electricity) • Southern Mitchell County Council (Southern Mitchell Electricity) • Southern Riverina County Council (Southern Riverina Electricity) • Southern Tablelands County Council (Southern Tablelands Electricity) • Sydney County Council (Sydney Electricity) • Ulan County Council (Ulan Electricity)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Origin Energy — Ltd Rechtsform Aktiengesellschaft Gründung 2000 Sitz Sydney, NSW, Australien Leitung Grant King (Managing Director) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Origin Energy — Création 2000 Siège social … Wikipédia en Français
Origin — Origin, origins, or original may refer to: Contents 1 Beginning of the universe and life 2 Science and technology 3 Computer … Wikipedia
Energy Brix Power Station — and the associated briquette factory Energy Brix Power Station is a brown coal powered power station located at Morwell, in Victoria, Australia. The power station is used to supply electricity for the retail market, as well as the production of… … Wikipedia
Origin (homonymie) — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Origin signifiant « origine » en anglais peut désigner: Origin, un groupe de death metal technique. Origin, premier album du groupe Origin.… … Wikipédia en Français
Energy security of the People's Republic of China — concerns the need for the People s Republic of China to guarantee itself and its industries long term access to sufficient energy and raw materials. China has been endeavoring to sign international agreements and secure such supplies; its energy… … Wikipedia
Origin (magazine) — Origin magazine, is an American poetry magazine that was founded in 1951 by Cid Corman. The magazine provided an early platform for the work of Charles Olson, Robert Creeley, Gary Snyder, Theodore Enslin and other important, ground breaking poets … Wikipedia
origin — origin, source, inception, root, provenance, provenience, prime mover denote the point at which something (as a process, a growth, a development, a custom, a habit, or an institution) begins its course or its existence. Origin applies chiefly to… … New Dictionary of Synonyms
origin — [ôr′ə jin, är′ə jin] n. [ME origyne < MFr origine < L origo (gen. originis) < oriri, to rise: see ORIENT] 1. a coming into existence or use; beginning 2. parentage; birth; lineage 3. that in which something has its beginning; source;… … English World dictionary
energy — ► NOUN (pl. energies) 1) the strength and vitality required for sustained activity. 2) (energies) a person s physical and mental powers as applied to a particular activity. 3) power derived from physical or chemical resources to provide light and … English terms dictionary