- Miles Walker
Miles Walker Chief Minister of the Isle of Man In office
3 December 1986 – 3 December 1996
Monarch Elizabeth II Governor Laurence New Preceded by Edgar Mann (as Chairman of the Executive Council) Succeeded by Donald Gelling Personal details Born 13 November 1940
Isle of Man
Nationality Manx Political party Independent Spouse(s) Mary, Lady Walker
Children 1 son, 1 daughter Profession Politician
Isle of Man
This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
the Isle of Man
Early life and career
Born on 13 November 1940 to George Denis Walker and Alice (née Whittaker), he was educated at Castle Rushen High School and the Shropshire Agricultural College. He later went on to become a company director in the farming and retail dairy trade. He was elected as an Arbory commissioner in 1970, remaining as one until 1976, and became the Chairman. In 1976 he stood as MHK for Rushen and was successful. He remained an MHK until retiring at the 2001 General Election. In 1986 he was elected the first ever Chief Minister and continued in the post for a decade until the 1996 election. He was honoured as Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1991, with an honorary LL.D. degree in 1994 by Liverpool University, and a knighthood in 1997.
- Chairman of Tromode House Committee, 1977–80
- Chairman of the Broadcasting Commission, 1979–81
- Chairman of the Local Government Board, 1981–86
- Chairman of the Income Tax Commission, 1985–86
- Member of the Executive Council, 1981–90
- Chief Minister, 1986–96
The Walker Council
OFFICE NAME TERM Chief Minister Sir Miles Walker 1986–96 Minister of the Treasury David Cannan 1986–89 Donald Gelling 1989–96 Minister of Home Affairs Edmund Lowey 1986–91 Arnold Callin 1991–95 Richard Corkill 1995–96 Minister of Health and Social Security Tony Brown 1986–89 Jim Cain 1989–91 Bernie May 1991–96 Minister of Education Victor Kneale 1986–90 Ron Cretney 1990–91 Hazel Hannan 1991–95 Noel Cringle 1995–96 Minister of Industry Ian Anderson 1986–88 Bernie May 1988–91 Allan Bell 1991–? Minister of Trade and Industry Allan Bell ?–1994 Minister of Tourism and Transport Allan Bell 1986–90 Minister of Tourism, Leisure and Transport Allan Bell 1990–94 Minister of Tourism and Leisure Tony Brown 1994–96 Minister of Highways, Ports and Properties Arnold Callin 1986–91 David North 1991–94 Minister of Transport David North 1994–96 Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Don Maddrell 1986–88 Donald Gelling 1988–89 David North 1989–91 John Corrin 1991–95 Hazel Hannan 1995–96 Minister of Local Government and the Environment Dominic Delaney 1986–89 Tony Brown 1989–94 Terry Groves 1994–96
- ^ "Walker, Miles Rawstron". www.tynwald.org. http://www.tynwald.org.im/tynwald/biographies/walker-mr.pdf. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- ^ Belchem, John (2000). A New History of the Isle of Man: The modern period 1830-1999. Liverpool University Press. pp. 197–. ISBN 9780853237266. http://books.google.com/books?id=yjHHVG_aiOAC&pg=PA197. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- ^ Kermode, D. G. (2001). Offshore island politics: the constitutional and political development of the Isle of Man in the twentieth century. Liverpool University Press. p. 283. ISBN 9780853237778. http://books.google.com/books?id=2POOu_fzH5IC&pg=PA318. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- ^ "Sir Miles Walker is new Hospice Isle of Man chairman". www.iomtoday.co.im. 7 June 2010. http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/sir_miles_walker_is_new_hospice_isle_of_man_chairman_1_1747063. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
- ^ "Sir Miles Walker takes over as Chairman". www.seftongroup.co.im. 4 June 2010. http://www.seftongroup.co.im/news-detail.php?Sir-Miles-Walker-takes-over-as-Chairman-21. Retrieved 11 November 2011.
Edgar Mann (as Chairman of the Executive Council)
Donald James Gelling CBE CP
Chief Ministers of the Isle of Man
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Miles Walker — Sir Miles Walker, CBE, LLD, né en 1940, est un homme politique de l’île de Man. Il a été le premier à occuper le poste de ministre principal (en anglais Chief Minister, en mannois Ard choylargh) du gouvernement de l’île, de 1986 à 1996. Donald… … Wikipédia en Français
Walker's Station — Choctaw Agency U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
Walker — Walker, MO U.S. city in Missouri Population (2000): 275 Housing Units (2000): 125 Land area (2000): 0.311200 sq. miles (0.806003 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.311200 sq. miles (0.806003 sq.… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Miles Copeland (Home and Away) — Miles Copeland Home and Away character Portrayed by Josh Quong Tart Jackson Edwards (Flashback) Ryley Mickle (Flashback) Introduced by J … Wikipedia
Miles De Gloucester — Milo ou Miles de Gloucester, parfois Miles Fitz Walter († 24 décembre 1143), 1er comte d Hereford, lord de Brecknock et d Abergavenny, shérif du Gloucestershire, et connétable d Angleterre, fut un important baron normand, l un des acteurs… … Wikipédia en Français
Miles de gloucester — Milo ou Miles de Gloucester, parfois Miles Fitz Walter († 24 décembre 1143), 1er comte d Hereford, lord de Brecknock et d Abergavenny, shérif du Gloucestershire, et connétable d Angleterre, fut un important baron normand, l un des acteurs… … Wikipédia en Français
Miles Laurence — David Chisum as Miles Laurence in the One Life to Live opening sequence One Life to Live Portrayed by David Chisum … Wikipedia
Walker Mill — Walker Mill, MD U.S. Census Designated Place in Maryland Population (2000): 11104 Housing Units (2000): 4219 Land area (2000): 3.151673 sq. miles (8.162795 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000):… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Walker Mill, MD — U.S. Census Designated Place in Maryland Population (2000): 11104 Housing Units (2000): 4219 Land area (2000): 3.151673 sq. miles (8.162795 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 3.151673 sq. miles… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Walker Valley — Walker Valley, NY U.S. Census Designated Place in New York Population (2000): 758 Housing Units (2000): 314 Land area (2000): 2.068320 sq. miles (5.356923 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.007256 sq. miles (0.018793 sq. km) Total area (2000): 2.075576 … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places