- Mat Fraser
Fraser performing a striptease that included removal of prosthetic arms
Years active 1980 - Present
Mat Fraser (born 1962) is an English rock musician, actor and performance artist. Between 1980 and 1995 he was a drummer with several rock bands including Fear of Sex, The Reasonable Strollers, Joyride, The Grateful Dub, and Living in Texas, the latter of which had a number one single in Italy.
Fraser was born with phocomelia of both arms, due to his mother being prescribed thalidomide during her pregnancy. As a live artist he was a member of the performance art group The DHSS in the early 1990s. He was included in Manuel Vason's book "Exposures" and has performed at numerous internationally renowned venues. He received considerable critical acclaim for his one-man show "Seal Boy". In 1999 he worked with the Hydra Collective on an event known as "Wrong Bodies" at the Institute of Contemporary Arts. As an actor he has performed with the "Graeae Theatre Company", Europe's leading disabled theatre company. He is the creator and main performer in a new play called Thalidomide!! A Musical. He also co-hosts the BBC's Ouch! Podcast.
Fraser has appeared on television both as a presenter and as an actor, in a number of productions including Metrosexuality and Every Time You Look at Me. He is also a martial artist having studied hapkido, taekwondo, Karate.
Fraser coined the use of term 'blacking up' to describe when an able-bodied actor plays the part of a disabled person rather than the part going to a disabled actor. The term was originally used to describe the controversial practice where non-black actors take on the characters of black people. Fraser illustrates his point in his song 'Blacking Up', which can be heard at his website.
Film and TV
- The Fades- (TV Series) Shopkeeper (2011)
- Fair City (Irish TV Series) - David Osborne (2011)
- Cast Offs(TV series) - Will (2009)
- Holby City (TV Series) - Gary Davids (2009)
- Metrosexuality (TV Series) - Marlon
- Chemical Wedding (film) - Anton Le Fay (2008)
- Kung Fu Flid (film) - Jimmy (2009)
- Freak Out (TV series) - Host
- Happy Birthday Thalidomide (TV series) - Presenter
- Unarmed and Dangerous (TV series) - Documentary showing Mat as a disabled cage fighter.
- Every Time You Look At Me (TV series) - Chris
- The Culture Show (TV series) - Contributor
- Helen of Troy (film) - Calchas
- Sunday Morning Live (TV series) - Contributor
- TV Dinners(TV Series) - Contributor (1998)
- Right To Reply (TV Series) - (Viewer Contributor)
- ^ http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/podcast
- ^ Morton, Cole (2000-07-23). "Arms and the Man: The Star of 'The Flid Show'". New York Times (London). http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/how-judo-made-a-man-out-of-hague-707222.html. Retrieved 2010-06-11.
- ^ "I'm the Kung Fu Flid". News of the World. http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/showbiz/329144/Mat-Fraser-has-stunted-arms-but-is-martial-arts-expert-amp-stars-in-new-action-film-Kung-Fu-Flid.html. Retrieved 2010-06-11.
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289414
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Fraser (surname) — Family name name= Fraser imagesize= 200 px caption= pronunciation = meaning = region = origin = Scottish related names = footnotes = Fraser is a surname, of Scottish origin (see Clan Fraser), and may refer to many people.compactTOC. A* Alex… … Wikipedia
Fraser Tombs — Die altägyptische Nekropole mit dem Namen Fraser Gräber (englisch: Fraser Tombs, gelegentlich auch fälschlich Frazer Tombs) befindet sich ca. zehn Kilometer nordöstlich von al Minya und ca. zwei Kilometer südlich von Tihna al Dschabal in… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Fraser-Gräber — Die altägyptische Nekropole mit dem Namen Fraser Gräber (englisch: Fraser Tombs, gelegentlich auch fälschlich Frazer Tombs) befindet sich ca. zehn Kilometer nordöstlich von al Minya und ca. zwei Kilometer südlich von Tihna al Dschabal in… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Fraser Tombs — The necropolis known as the Fraser Tombs is located about 10 km northeast of Al Minya, and about 2 km south of Tihna el Gebel, in Middle Egypt.The rock cut tombs date back to the fourth and fifth dynasties of the Old Kingdom.These tombs were… … Wikipedia
Matthew Fraser — may refer to: Matthew Fraser (journalist), Canadian journalist and former editor of the National Post Matthew Fraser, a party in the United States Supreme Court case Bethel School District v. Fraser Mat Fraser, English actor and musician This… … Wikipedia
Thalidomide!! A Musical — is a British musical written and composed by Mat Fraser, who was born disabled as a result of the drug thalidomide being taken during his mother s pregnancy. Fraser and Anna Winslet play all the roles in the show.The musical premiered at the… … Wikipedia
Metrosexuality — This article is about the British TV series. For other usages of the word, see Metrosexual (disambiguation). Metrosexuality is a British television drama, which aired on Channel 4 in 2001 as a short run series of six episodes. It was later re… … Wikipedia
Dan Jones (artist) — Daniel Powys Jones (born June 29 1962) is a rock musician, figurative painter, designer and author of alternative comic Bruised Fruit and novelist.In the early 1980s he was a member of rock band Living in Texas with disabled performance artist… … Wikipedia
Phocomelia syndrome — DefinitionPhocomelia is a “congenital malformation” of development where the upper appendage of an arm or leg is absent so the hands or feet are attached to the body like stumps. The word phocomelia combines phoco denoting seal and melia denoting … Wikipedia
Phocomelia — Classification and external resources A 20 year old woman with left sided phocomelia, before and after treatment for scoliosis. ICD 10 Q … Wikipedia