- London (band)
Infobox musical artist
Name = London
Background = group_or_band
Riff Regan Jon Moss
"This article is about the English band London. For the American band with the same name, see London. "
London were a four piece punk band formed in London in 1976 and were best known for their wild stage act. The line-up was
Riff Regan(Vocals), Steve Voice (Bass), Jon Moss(Drums) and Dave Wight (Guitar). They were managed by Simon Napier-Belland recorded two singles, a 4 track EP and an album for MCA Recordsin 1977. Most of their songs were written by Riff Regan (including the first two singles "Everyone's A Winner" and "Summer of Love") or by Riff Regan and Steve Voice. All their records were produced by Napier-Bell at the IBC Studiosin London.
They toured extensively throughout 1977, first supporting
The Stranglersand then as headliners in their own right. Their third release, the single "Animal Games", was featured on the notorious Sex Pistols edition of the British TV show So It Goes.
Their final gig was at the
Marquee Clubin Wardour Street on the 8th December 1977. The band broke up shortly afterwards. On leaving, Moss joined The Damnedand then formed Culture Clubwith Boy George. Riff Reganreleased solo records before reverting to his real name of Miles Tredinnickand becoming a comedy writer; since 2005 he has also been the lead singer with the band Magic Bus.
Steve Voice formed a new band 'The Original Vampires' and Dave Wight following stints in 'Metro' and
Holly and the Italiansreverted to his real name of Colin Wight and became an academic; recently appointed [http://www.huss.ex.ac.uk/politics/staff/wight/index.php Professor of International Politics at the University of Exeter] .
MCA Records released the band's one and only album in February 1978 called "
London The Punk Rock Collection," a CD containing all their recorded work, was released on the Captain Oi! label in 1997.
The band played their first London gig in over 30 years at the
12 Bar Clubin London on Saturday 23rd February 2008. The new line-up is Riff Regan (vocals), Steve Voice (bass), Hugh O'Donnell (guitar) and Colin Watterston (drums). The latter two also play in a Salisbury band called The DBs.
* Jon Moss had been drumming in The Clash when he formed London.
* Riff Regan's name came from 'Riff' (the character in "West Side Story") and 'Regan' (John Thaw's character in the cult British TV crime series "The Sweeney").
* In 1977, Paul McCartney's daughter Heather told "The New Musical Express" that London were her favourite band along with The Damned and The Clash.
Henry Padovani, the original guitarist in The Police, once auditioned for London.
* Their song "Siouxsie Sue" was originally called "Susie Sue" and had nothing to do with the punk singer.
* Throughout 1977, London shared the same rehearsal studio in Kilburn, north London with
David Sylvianand Japan.
* Mike Mansfield directed the video for "Everyone's A Winner" in the ITN news studios in London.
* London recorded
Friday on My Mindin the same studios (IBC London) that The Easybeatsrecorded the original.
* "Everyone's A Winner" (1977 MCA Records)
* "Summer Of Love" and "Friday on My Mind" (1977 MCA Records)
* "Punk Rock" - Various Artists. (1977 Philips/Phonogram Records Brazil)
* "Animal Games" - single. (1977 MCA Records)
* "Animal Games" - album. (1978 MCA Records)
* "Meet the New Punk Wave" - Various Artists (1978 EMI Records Holland)
* "London The Punk Rock Collection" (1997 Captain Oi! Records)
Videos and film
* "Everyone's A Winner" - Director Mike Mansfield (1977 MCA Records)
* "Animal Games" - So It Goes. (1977 Granada Television)
*"London Live at the Marquee" - (1977 Italy)
* [http://www.milestredinnick.co.uk/page10.html London site]
* [http://www.milestredinnick.co.uk/page15.html Riff Regan site]
* [http://www.boredteenagers.co.uk/LONDON.htm Detour Records' London site]
* [http://punkmodpop.free.fr/london_pic.htm ModPopPunk Archives London site]
* [http://www.myspace.com/londontheband The London MySpace site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
London (Band) — London Allgemeine Informationen Genre(s) Hard Rock Gründung 1978 Auflösung 1991 Neugründung 2006 … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Scorpions (London band) — The Scorpions were formed in 1959 in Battersea, South West London and released two singles in 1961. Founder members were brothers Ted Barber lead guitar (1959 ) (born Edward Joseph Barber, 17 November 1940, Moseley, Surrey); John Barber bass… … Wikipedia
London (disambiguation) — London is the capital of England and the United Kingdom.London may also mean:PlacesPlaces in the United Kingdom*London, the capital city of the United Kingdom **City of London, the small, ancient city (and root of most other Londons) **London… … Wikipedia
London (Begriffsklärung) — London bezeichnet folgende Orte und Städte: London, Hauptstadt Großbritanniens City of London, historisches Stadtzentrum von London Greater London, Verwaltungseinheit im Südosten Englands London (Ontario), Stadt in Ontario, Kanada London (Ohio),… … Deutsch Wikipedia
London International Hot Air Balloon Festival — There are several special shaped balloons which regularly attend, including the Canadian Flag, Maple Leaf, Tyrone the T Rex.In addition to the balloon launches and rides, the festival features various other attractions including a full amusement… … Wikipedia
London (Hard Rock) — London Gründung 1978 Auflösung 1991 Genre Hard Rock Ehemalige Mitglieder Gesang, Gitarre Blackie Lawless Gesang Michael White Gesang Nigel Benjamin … Deutsch Wikipedia
London Town — London Town … Википедия
London Elektricity — ist eine britische Band. Bekannt sind sie vor allem als Live Act für Drum and Bass, jedoch finden sich in ihrer Musik auch Einflüsse von Jazz, Funk, Soul und Breakbeats. Inhaltsverzeichnis … Deutsch Wikipedia
London Elektricity — Background information Origin London, United Kingdom Genres … Wikipedia
London Bridge Is Falling Down — (Round 502) is a well known traditional nursery rhyme which is found in different versions all over the world. The main verse is::London Bridge Is falling down, :Falling down, Falling down. :London Bridge Is falling down,:My fair lady. The rhyme… … Wikipedia