- Tourism geography
Tourism Geography is the study of
traveland tourismas an industry, as a human activity, and especially as a place-based experience. From a geographical point of view, tourism consists of the places of tourist origin (or tourist generating areas), tourist destinations (or places of tourism supply), and the relationship (connections) between origin and destination places, which includes transportation routes, business relationships, and traveler motivations. Geographyis fundamental to the study of tourism because tourism is geographical in nature. Tourism occurs in places, it involves movement and activities across geographic space(between places), and it is an activity in which both place characteristics and personal self-identities are formed through the relationships that are created among places, landscapes and people. Physical geography provides the essential background against which tourism places are created, and environmental impacts and concerns are major issues that must be considered in managing the development of tourism places. Human geographyprovides an understanding of the social and economic relationships that exist in providing tourism and U.S. National Park Servicenature-based [ [http://nature.nps.gov/ Planning, Environment & Public Comment] (PEPC)] outdoor recreation opportunities and activities, as well as the special meaning that these places have to individuals. A destination's sense of placeis often a key element behind tourism development -- after all, without the uniqueness and diversity of places, tourism would be mundane and uninteresting.
Jaye Was Here Dude (H)Would You Beleive it :O
Agritourism, place-based geotourism in hands-on rural communities
Cultural tourism, community-building through creative story-telling ...
* Freedom's Frontier, retraces Frontier Army's "Military Road" ...
Heritage tourism, experience people, places & changes over time!
* Hayward Fault Zone, earth science with emergency preparedness focus
International Network of Geoparks
* "Traveler Magazine", champions sustainable travel programs ...
* [http://www.aboutchennai.com Chennai Tourism] (Site Promoting Chennai)
* [http://www.geog.nau.edu/igust/ Commission on Tourism, Leisure and Global Change] (International Geographical Union)
* [http://www.geog.nau.edu/rts/ Recreation Tourism and Sport Specialty Group] (Association of American Geographers)
* [http://www.ex.ac.uk/geography/tourism/gltrg/welcome.html Geography of Leisure and Tourism Research Group] (Royal Geographical Society)
* [http://www.china.org.cn/english/environment/164132.htm Pioneering China-based Geotourism] (
China DailyMarch 31, 2006)
* [http://www.nationalgeographic.com/traveler/forums/tourism.html Tourism Forum: "Geotourism Editor"] (
National Geographic"Traveler Magazine")
* [http://www.geog.nau.edu/tg/ Tourism Geographies:] An International Journal of Tourism Space, Place and Environment" (Routledge)
* [http://travelgeography.blogspot.com/ Geography for Travelers] podcast and blog
* [http://www.joaoleitaotravel.co.nr/ Travel destinations, photos & tips] travel diaries
* [http://www.geotourismcanada.com Geotourism Canada] Theme Based Site Identification
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Tourism — Tourist redirects here. For other uses, see Tourist (disambiguation). Summer Visitors by Maurice Prendergast (1897) Tourism is travel for recreational, leisure or business purposes. The World Tourism Organization defi … Wikipedia
Geography of the Republic of Macedonia — Geography of Republic of Macedonia Continent Europe Region Balkan Peninsula Coordinates … Wikipedia
Tourism in Cameroon — is a growing but relatively minor industry. Since the 1970s, the government of Cameroon has cultivated the industry by creating a ministry of tourism and by encouraging investment by airlines, hotels, and travel agencies. The government describes … Wikipedia
Geography of Switzerland — Continent Europe Region Western/Central Europe Coordinates 47° N 8° E Area Ranked 134 … Wikipedia
Geography of Austria — Continent Europe Region Central Europe Coordinates … Wikipedia
Geography of Scotland — Continent Europe … Wikipedia
Tourism in Peru — began developing in the 1990s with the stabilization of the economy and the build up of tourist infrastructure. Nowadays tourism makes up the nation s third largest industry behind fishing and mining. [… … Wikipedia
Tourism in Morocco — is well developed, with a strong tourist industry focused on the country s coast, culture, and history. Most of Morocco s tourists are European.Tourist numbersMorocco has been one of the most politically stable countries in North Africa, which… … Wikipedia
Geography of British Columbia — Continent North America Region Western Canada Coordinates … Wikipedia
Tourism in Mauritius — tends to be high end tourism, with a focus on coastal resorts and diving. Tourist numbers In the past thirty years, Mauritius has developed from a low income economy based on agriculture to a middle income diversified economy. Much of this… … Wikipedia