- Web Application Structure for PHP
Web Application Structure for PHP aka WASP is a free package or "framework" of software running with
PHPversion 5 that allows developers to code systems in a more traditional "enterprise" three-tier model (like Web Logic Serveraka WLS) rather than PHP's more usual script-style, code-hacking approach.
This allows development of large web application systems that separate the computer code and logic in web sites' presentation
abstraction layerfrom the enterprise or business procedures abstraction layer, and from the database access abstraction layer. This provides better separation of functionality in code (which is helpful in designing, writing and maintaining more complex systems) and also makes the jump from other more formal languages and environments into PHP more understandable to programmers making the switch.
In addition WASP simplifies coding requirements so developers don't need full in-depth knowledge of PHP and SQL in order to create working applications.
* [http://wasp.sourceforge.net/content/ Official Site]
* [http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2006/01/19/wasp_intro.html Simplify PHP Development with WASP] steps through installing WASP and developing a web application
* [http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/10/15/php_scalability.html The PHP Scalability Myth]
* [http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2004/12/09/three_tier.html?page=1 Three-Tier Development with PHP 5] provides an effective explanation of what three-tier really means
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.