James Haldane Stewart


James Haldane Stewart

James Haldane Stewart (b 1778, d 22 October 1854), rector of Limpsfield, Surrey, where he lies buried.He married Mary Dale (dau of David Dale) and was the third son of Duncan Stewart, 6th of Ardsheal, 10th Chief of Clan Appin (d 1793) m. (1767) Anne Erving (dau of John Erving of Connecticut)

More can be read in: "Memoir of the life of the Rev. James Haldane Stewart, M.A" by his second son Rev David Dale Stewart. Thos. Hatchard, 187, Piccadilly, London. 1857, which ran to two editions.

"James Haldane Stewart was born in Boston, Massachusetts. He was educated at Dr Valpy’s school in Reading and Eton, after which he trained at Lincoln's Inn, for a career in law. Stewart was converted in 1802 through his contact with the Anglican clergyman William Marsh and Thomas Tyndale.

Stewart matriculated in 1803 at Exeter College, Oxford and graduated B.A. in 1806 and M.A. in 1810. He was ordained and appointed Curate of Ashampstead in Berkshire. From 1812 to 1828 he officiated at Percy Chapel in London despite suffering a breakdown in health in 1817 which necessitated a visit to the Continent.

Stewart was an active supporter of the London Society for Promoting Christianity Among the Jews, the Church Missionary Society and the Protestant Reformation Society. He built his own chapel in Liverpool and ministered there from 1830 to 1846. Stewart after 1820 was a strong advocate of prayer for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.Stewart was Rector of Limpfield in Surrey during his final years."

Source: Dictionary of Evangelical Biography, edited by Donald Lewis (1995)

1820 The Rev. James Haldane Stewart publishes “Hints for the General Union of Christians for the Outpouring of the Spirit”.

Rev. James Haldane Stewart Jr., his elder son, (died 24 February 1879) was curate at Limpsfield, and married Emily Katherine Leveson-Gower, daughter of William Leveson-Gower, of Titsey Place on 22 May 1866. James Haldane Stewart was later the Rector of Brightwell cum Sotwell, Oxfordshire.


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.