- Metro AG
Metro AG Type Aktiengesellschaft Traded as FWB: MEO Industry Retail Founded 1964; Metro AG formed in 1996 Headquarters Düsseldorf, Germany Area served Europe, Asia, Africa Key people Eckhard Cordes (CEO and Chairman of the executive board), Jürgen Kluge (Chairman of the supervisory board), Olaf Koch (CFO) Services Supermarkets, hypermarkets, consumer electronics and appliance retail, department stores Revenue €67.26 billion (2010) Operating income €2.211 billion (2010) Profit €850 million (2010) Total assets €35.07 billion (end 2010) Total equity €6.460 billion (end 2010) Employees 283,280 (average, 2010) Divisions Metro Cash and Carry, Real, Media Markt, Saturn, Galeria Kaufhof Website www.metrogroup.de
Metro AG is a diversified retail and wholesale/cash and carry group based in Düsseldorf, Germany. It has the largest market share in its home market, and is one of the most globalised retail and wholesale corporations. It is the fourth-largest retailer in the world measured by revenues (after Wal-Mart, Carrefour and Tesco). In English it often refers to itself as Metro Group. It was established in 1964 by Otto Beisheim.
The company operates the following sales divisions:
- Metro and Makro Cash and Carry (Makro stores in the United Kingdom and elsewhere in Europe were acquired from SHV Holdings in 1998): This division accounts for nearly half of group sales as of 2004, and is by far the most internationalised division, with stores in almost every country in which the group operates.
- Real: A hypermarket operator. 265 stores in Germany and 34 elsewhere as of early 2005.
- Media Markt and Saturn: Media Markt is a consumer electronics company with stores in Germany and several other European countries. Saturn is an electronic media chain, also with stores in Germany and some other European countries.
- Galeria Kaufhof: A department store chain with locations in Germany and Belgium ("Inno").
As of 2007 it has added the former Wal-Mart Germany stores to the Real chain.
As of 1 Jan 2007, the Metro Group operated stores in the following countries:
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
Canada's Metro Inc. is not affiliated.
In the 2003 calendar year, Metro Group had sales of €53,965 million. Profit before tax was €817 million, and group net profit was €496 million. In the early years of the 21st century, Metro had at that moment a lower growth rate than many of its global competitors.
The Metro group is looking towards expansion in Asia and Europe. The Metro group has announced plans to expand its operations in Algeria, Pakistan, Sweden, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Egypt. The Metro Group may also be commissioned by the German government to expand operations into Afghanistan's economically stable north, the region patrolled by German ISAF forces.
- ^ a b c d e f "Annual Report 2010" (PDF). Metro AG. http://www.metrogroup.de/internet/site/annual2010/get/documents/metrogroup_international/corpsite/80_global/publications/AR2010-en.pdf. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- ^ Potter, Mark (16 February 2011). "Tesco to outpace growth at global rivals – study". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/17/tesco-igd-idUSLDE71F1LR20110217. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- ^ Metro seeks takeover of Arcandor BBC News. 10 June 2009
DAX companies of Germany
Adidas · Allianz · BASF · Bayer · Beiersdorf · BMW · Commerzbank · Daimler · Deutsche Bank · Deutsche Börse · Deutsche Post · Deutsche Telekom · E.ON · Fresenius · Fresenius Medical Care · HeidelbergCement · Henkel · Infineon Technologies · K+S · Linde · Lufthansa · MAN · Merck · METRO · Munich Re · RWE · SAP · Siemens · ThyssenKrupp · Volkswagen
European Retail Round Table Members
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
métro — métro … Dictionnaire des rimes
Metro — Metro … Deutsch Wörterbuch
Metro — is an abbreviation of metropolitan, and is the name of many products and services relating to urban areas, especially public transport systems. Contents 1 Public transport 1.1 Rapid transit systems … Wikipedia
Metro AG — Rechtsform Aktiengesellschaft ISIN DE0007257537 (Vorzugsaktie) DE0007257503 (Stammakt … Deutsch Wikipedia
METRO AG — Metro Group Unternehmensform Aktiengesellschaft ISIN … Deutsch Wikipedia
METRO C&C — Metro Group Unternehmensform Aktiengesellschaft ISIN … Deutsch Wikipedia
Metro C&C — Metro Group Unternehmensform Aktiengesellschaft ISIN … Deutsch Wikipedia
Metro AG — Metro … Википедия
Metro — Métro bzw. Metro bezeichnet als Kurzform von französisch Métropolitain bzw. englisch Metropolitan: U Bahn als davon abgeleitetem Gattungsbegriff das Synonym für unterirdischen Schienennahverkehr, siehe Liste der Städte mit U Bahnen und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
METRO AG — Pour les articles homonymes, voir metro. Logo de Metro AG … Wikipédia en Français