Furness Railway K2


Furness Railway K2

The Furness Railway K2s, or "Larger Seagulls", were built to supersede the Furness Railway K1 on the heavier and more important trains. They each have a 4-4-0 wheel arrangement. They were built by Sharp Stewart and Company of Manchester in 1896 as a batch of six. Their Works Numbers were 4174-9, and the Furness Railway numbers issued to them were 21, 22, 34, 35, 36 and 37. They had 6' diameter driving wheels with 18" x 24" cylinders. In 1900, two extra engines were added to the class, Works Nos. 4651/2 and FR numbers 124/5. In 1913, two engines, FR Nos. 34/7, were fitted with experimental Phoenix smokebox superheaters, however, these were removed the following year.

By 1923 and the grouping of the FR into the London, Midland & Scottish Railway, all eight engines were still in service, and received LMS numbers, these being 10135-42. They lasted until the late 1920s and early 1930s, performing secondary duties on the home turf, between Barrow-in-Furness and Whitehaven.

A K2 also pulled the Orient Express from 1883-1914.

The six-wheeled tenders that this class used were also used by the Furness Railway D3 0-6-0 tender engines. They carried 2,500 gallons of water and 3.5 tons of coal, their weight being 28.25 tons.

The K2 in fiction

In the Reverend W Awdry's The Railway Series, the character of Edward the Blue Engine is described as a "Modified Larger Seagull" to cover up an illustration blunder by the original artist.

ee also

* Steam locomotives of the Furness Railway


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.