- GWR 4073 Class 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe
Originally built as Banbury Castle in March
1936. Its first shed allocation was Old Oak Common. It was renamed Earl of Mount Edgcumbein September 1937. From August 1950 until March 1959 its shed allocation was Old Oak Common. It had a double chimney and 4 row superheater fitted in October 1958. It was transferred from Cardiff Canton TMDto Cardiff East Dockshed in September 1962. Its last shed allocation was Cardiff East Dock. It was withdrawn in December 1963 and acquired by Woodhams' Scrapyardin Barry, South Wales[http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/barry1.htm] in June 1964. It was sold to the then Birmingham Railway Museum and left as the 43rd departure from Barry in September 1973.
Tyseley Locomotive Worksmany of its parts were removed for safekeeping and the locomotive was stored, initially as a spare boiler for 7029 “Clun Castle”.
*In 1996 Birmingham Railway Museum trustees announced the project to restore Great Western Castle class 4-6-0 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe to main line running condition. Specifications required that the locomotive should be in late 1950's condition with Hawksworth tender and BR double chimney. The restoration fund was set up and work began to restore her from Barry condition. Later a Hawksworth tender was constructed and the tender frames obtained.
*In 1998 The boiler was removed from the frames and prepared for inspection. Specialist welding work was completed on the boiler barrel by Babcock boiler specialists.In 1999 descaling commenced for the front end of the frames in preparation for repair. Axleboxes were removed and examined, and found to be in excellent condition and required only examination, repair and cleaning.
*In 2000 5043 was moved into Tyseley Locomotive Works. The majority of the components, especially footplating, were removed and put into store, and wheelsets removed so that cleaning of the frames could commence. The cab sides, which were beyond repair, were removed and were to be retained until new cab sides had been manufactured and fitted. The engineering team scraped down the frames and removed thirty years worth of grime, in order to examine the frames. Once completed the frames were given a coat of anti-corrosive green paint, which smartened up their appearance! Examination of the frames showed them to be in good condition. Parts for the rear dragbox renewal were manufactured and ready for fitting. The usual pitting on parts of the frames caused by exposure to the sea air at Barry was found, but this could be smoothed down and repaired to prevent further corrosion and to improve appearances.
*In 2001 expired platework on the Hawksworth tender frames removed and new platework fitted and repainted. The new rear dragbox was riveted into place. The bushes for the coupling rods were cast, machined and fitted. Whilst the inside motion was being prepared the frames were painted in black (exterior) and red (interior). New valve rings were manufactured ready for fitting.The slidebars were reground. Whilst checking the inside crossheads for repair and refitting something interesting was found. It was common for inside crossheads to be fitted to various members of the fleet, but 5043's inside crossheads, on closer inspection, seem to have been fitted at one time to sister GWR Castle 5080 Defiant. The slidebars were prepared for refitting. New manufactured splashers refitted to locomotive frames along with footplating and were painted in anti corrosive paint. The bogie was repaired and repainted in preparation for refitting. Wheelsets prepared for cleaning and refitting.
*In 2002 further repainting of the frames, cleaning and preparation for reconstruction of tender, work continued on wheelsets and axleboxes in preparation for rewheeling. Repainting of tender frames in preparation for fitting to tender tank, manufacturing of numerous ancillary parts in readiness for reconstruction.
*In 2003, axlebox repairs were completed and coupled wheels refitted. The tender assembled and was substantially complete. Valve motion was completed and awaited assembly.TPWS equipment was acquired. Repairs to reversing gear were completed. The engine's brake gear was overhauled and fitted. The engine spring gear was reassembled.
*In 2007, The boiler has been steamed up and Restoration is nearly complete. It is hoped that the locomotive will be fully restored and ready to haul trains in 2008.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Woodhams' Scrapyard — Woodham Brothers Scrapyard was in Barry, Wales. During the 1960s nearly 300 withdrawn British Railways steam locomotives were sent there.At the same time many thousands of short wheelbase wagons were being withdrawn and it was found that these… … Wikipedia
Tyseley Locomotive Works — is the engineering operation supporting Vintage Trains, the operating wing which together form the Birmingham Railway Museum Trust . Based in Birmingham, England on part of the Great Western Railway s depot constructed in 1908 as a result of… … Wikipedia