- Courteney Cox
Cox in February 2009
Born Courteney Bass Cox
June 15, 1964
Birmingham, Alabama, U.S.
Other names Courteney Cox Arquette Occupation Actress Years active 1984–present Spouse David Arquette (m. 1999–present) (separated) Partner Michael Keaton (1989-1995) Children 1
Courteney Bass Cox (born June 15, 1964) is an American actress, who achieved fame for her role as Monica Geller on the NBC sitcom Friends. Cox has also starred in Dirt and the Scream series of movies. She currently stars in the ABC sitcom Cougar Town, for which she earned her first Golden Globe nomination.
Courteney Cox was raised in the Birmingham, Alabama suburb of Mountain Brook, the daughter of businessman Richard Lewis Cox (January 28, 1931 – September 3, 2001) and his wife Courteney (née Bass, later Copeland). She has two older sisters, Virginia and Dottie, and an older brother, Richard, Jr. Her parents divorced in 1974 and her mother then married businessman Hunter Copeland (uncle to music promoter and business manager Ian Copeland). After graduating from Mountain Brook High School, Cox left for Mount Vernon College in Washington, D.C., but did not complete her architecture course, opting instead to pursue a career in modeling and acting.
Cox appeared in the 1984 music video for Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" as a girl pulled onstage to dance with Springsteen. Cox was the first person to use the word "period" on U.S. television to refer to menstruation in a 1985 advertising campaign for Tampax brand tampons. Her early film roles include Masters of the Universe (1987) and Cocoon: The Return (1988). Her early television work includes a starring role in the short-lived television series Misfits of Science (1985), and later a recurring role (1987–89) on the TV series Family Ties as Lauren Miller, the girlfriend of Alex P. Keaton (Michael J. Fox). She had a supporting role as Jewel, the hard-as-nails assistant to James Belushi's character, in the 1990 fantasy film Mr. Destiny. In 1994, shortly before the debut of the sitcom, Friends, Cox appeared with Jim Carrey in the film Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and on Seinfeld in "The Wife" episode as Jerry's girlfriend named Meryl. In 1995, she was cast in Toad the Wet Sprocket's music video "Good Intentions". The song is also on the Friends Soundtrack.
Later in 1994 Cox was asked to audition for the part of Rachel Green on a new sitcom, Friends; she was cast as Monica Geller instead. At first the most famous cast member of the new show, Cox joined fellow castmates Jennifer Aniston (Rachel Green), Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe Buffay), Matt LeBlanc (Joey Tribbiani), Matthew Perry (Chandler Bing) and David Schwimmer (Ross Geller) for what would become her most famous role, lasting for 10 seasons until 2004. According to the Guinness Book of World Records (2005), Cox (along with her female costars) became the highest paid TV actress of all time with her $1 million-per-episode paycheck for the final two seasons of Friends.
Between seasons five and six, Cox married David Arquette, and changed her name to Courteney Cox Arquette. An in-joke reference to this is made in the beginning credits of the episode "The One After Vegas", where the rest of the cast and executive producers have "Arquette" added to their names. The dedication "For Courteney and David, who did get married"—a reference to Monica and Chandler's decision not to marry in the episode—appears during the fade out to the tag scene.
During her time on Friends, Cox appeared in the high-profile Hollywood films Scream (1996), Scream 2 (1997), and Scream 3 (2000), as the determined and driven reporter Gale Weathers. She met her husband, David Arquette, who played her on-screen love interest Dwight "Dewey" Riley, while filming the first Scream film. Both Cox and her husband David reprised their respective roles from the Scream trilogy in 2011's Scream 4. The movie was released in theaters April 15, 2011.
Her other films include The Runner, 3000 Miles to Graceland and The Shrink Is In. In late 2003, Cox and Arquette produced one season of the reality television series Mix It Up. The lifestyle show, which aired on the We cable channel, struggled with low ratings and was not renewed for a second season.
After her Friends role, Cox was producer Marc Cherry's first choice to be offered a starring role as Susan Mayer on Desperate Housewives. However, Cox was unavailable due to her pregnancy and the role went to Teri Hatcher. A couple of years later, Cox signed a deal with ABC Studios (formerly Touchstone Television) to star in her own series. Since Friends, Cox has primarily concentrated on her family but has starred in the independent film November (2005) which had a limited theatrical release, costarred with Tim Allen in the critically derided Zoom, and cameoed in the big budget remake of The Longest Yard as the girlfriend of Adam Sandler's character. She supplied her voice for the animated film Barnyard. A Friends reunion film was rumored to be in production; following the success of Sex and the City: The Movie, but this has been denied by Warner Bros. and others.
In 2007, Cox starred as Lucy Spiller, a cynical tabloid editor, in Dirt, a television drama for FX. Cox and her husband David Arquette were the executive producers of the series. According to Cox, the series was canceled after the second season in 2008. In July 2008, Entertainment Weekly announced that Cox had signed on to star in a three-episode arc for the television series Scrubs. In her third episode, she told Dr. Cox that Cox was "a ridiculous name", in reference to her own.
In 2009, Cox began her roles as the star of the single-camera comedy series on ABC called Cougar Town, playing a newly single 40-year-old mother on the hunt for new experiences. The show's third season will premiere in November 2011.
Cox's significant previous boyfriends include her step-cousin, the rock promoter Ian Copeland and a long-term relationship with actor Michael Keaton from 1989 to 1995. Cox also dated singer Adam Duritz of Counting Crows and appeared in their music video for the song "A Long December" in 1997.
Cox married actor David Arquette on June 12, 1999. On June 13, 2004, she gave birth to their first child, daughter Coco Riley Arquette. Jennifer Aniston is Coco's godmother. On October 11, 2010, it was announced that the actress and her husband had separated, though they still maintain a close friendship and business relationship. Cox is a brown belt in Karate and can play the piano and drums.
Film Year Film Role Notes 1987 Down Twisted Tarah 1987 Masters of the Universe Julia "Julie" Winston 1988 Cocoon: The Return Sara 1990 Mr. Destiny Jewel Jagger 1991 Blue Desert Lisa Roberts 1992 Shaking the Tree Kathleen 1993 The Opposite Sex and How to Live with Them C "Carrie" Davenport 1994 Ace Ventura: Pet Detective Melissa Robinson 1996 Scream Gale Weathers 1997 Commandments Rachel Luce 1997 Scream 2 Gale Weathers 1999 The Runner Karina 1999 Alien Love Triangle Alice Connor short 2000 Scream 3 Gale Weathers 2001 3000 Miles to Graceland Cybil Waingrow 2001 The Shrink Is In Samantha Crumb 2001 Get Well Soon Lily "Lillian" 2004 November Sophie Jacobs 2005 The Longest Yard Lena Uncredited cast 2006 Barnyard: The Original Party Animals Daisy the Cow Voice role 2006 Zoom Marsha Holloway 2006 The Tripper Cynthia Also film producer 2008 The Monday Before Thanksgiving Cece Short film 2008 Bedtime Stories Wendy 2011 Scream 4 Gale Weathers Riley Television Year Title Role Notes 1984 As the World Turns Bunny 1985 Code Name: Foxfire Flight Attendant Uncredited role
NBC TV movie
1985–1986 Misfits of Science Gloria Dinallo 16 episodes 1986 The Love Boat Episode: Dare Devil/Picture Me As a Spy/Sleeper 1986 Sylvan in Paradise Lucy Apple NBC TV pilot 1986 Murder, She Wrote Carol Bannister Episode: Death Stalks the Big Top 1987 If It's Tuesday, It Still Must Be Belgium Hana Wyshocki NBC TV movie 1987–1989 Family Ties Lauren Miller 21 episodes 1988 I'll Be Home for Christmas Nora Bundy NBC TV movie 1989 Roxanne: The Prize Pulitzer Jacquie Kimberly TV movie 1989 Judith Krantz's Till We Meet Again Marie-Frederique "Freddy" de Lancel CBS miniseries 1990 Curiosity Kills Gwen NBC TV movie 1991 Morton & Hayes Princess Lucy "Lucille" Episode: Oafs Overboard 1992 Battling for Baby Katherine CBS TV movie 1992 Dream On Alisha Episode: Come and Knock on Our Door 1993 The Trouble with Larry Gabriella Easden 1994 Seinfeld Meryl Episode: The Wife 1994–2004 Friends Monica Geller 236 episodes 1995 Sketch Artist II: Hands that See Emmy Showtime TV movie 1995 Saturday Night Live Host Episode: "Courteney Cox/Dave Matthews Band" 1999 Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child Emerald Salt Pork Voice role
Episode: The Three Little Pigs
2007–2008 Dirt Lucille "Lucy" Spiller 20 episodes 2009 Scrubs Taylor Maddox 3 episodes 2009 Web Therapy Serena Duvall 3 episodes 2009–present Cougar Town Jules Cobb 2011 Private Practice Patient Episode: "Step One"
Awards and nominations
Year Award Category Title of work Result 1995 Golden Apple Award Female Discovery of the Year Won 1995 People's Choice Award Favorite Female Performer in a New TV Series Friends Nominated 1996 Screen Actors Guild Awards Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series Friends Won 1997 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards Favorite Television Actress Friends Nominated 1998 Blockbuster Entertainment Award Favorite Actress – Horror Scream 2 Nominated 1998 Saturn Award Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture Scream 2 Nominated 1999 American Comedy Award Funniest Supporting Female Performer in a TV Series Friends Nominated 1999 Screen Actors Guild Awards Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series Friends Nominated 2000 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards Favorite Television Friends Friends Nominated 2000 Screen Actors Guild Award Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series Friends Nominated 2000 Teen Choice Award Film – Choice Chemistry Scream 3 Won 2000 TV Guide Awards Editor's Choice Friends Won 2001 Screen Actors Guild Award Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series Friends Nominated 2001 Blockbuster Entertainment Award Favorite Actress – Horror Scream 3 Nominated 2002 Teen Choice Awards Choice TV Actress, Comedy Friends Nominated 2002 Screen Actors Guild Award Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series Friends Nominated 2003 Teen Choice Awards Choice TV Actress, Comedy Friends Nominated 2003 Screen Actors Guild Award Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series Friends Nominated 2004 Screen Actors Guild Award Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series Friends Nominated 2005 Teen Choice Awards Choice Movie Hissy Fit The Longest Yard Nominated 2006 TV Land Award Most Wonderful Wedding - with Matthew Perry Friends Nominated 2007 TV Land Award Break Up That Was So Bad It Was Good Family Ties Nominated 2009 Golden Globe Awards Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Comedy or Musical Cougar Town Nominated 2009 People's Choice Awards Favorite New Comedy Series Cougar Town Nominated 2010 Streamy Award Best Guest Star In A Web Series Web Therapy Nominated 2010 People's Choice Awards Favourite TV Comedy Actress Cougar Town Nominated 2010 Glamour Magazine's Women of the Year Awards US TV Actress Cougar Town Won 2010 TV Guide Awards Courteney Cox To Be Honored By Women In Film Foundation Nominated 2010 Golden Derby TV Awards Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series Cougar Town Won 2010 People's Choice Awards Favourite TV Comedy Actress Cougar Town Nominated 2010 Women's Image Network Award Actress Comedy Series Cougar Town Nominated 2010 Women in Film Crystal + Lucy Awards Lucy Award Recipient 2011 Critics' Choice Television Awards Best Actress in a Comedy Cougar Town Nominated
- ^ "Separation announcement". Ctv.ca. http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20101011/courtney-cox-split-101011/. Retrieved November 24, 2010.
- ^ Courteney Cox. "Courteney Cox Arquette". People. http://www.people.com/people/courteney_cox. Retrieved November 24, 2010.
- ^ "Courteney Cox Biography (1920–)". filmreference.com=. NetIndustries, LLC. http://www.filmreference.com/film/77/Courteney-Cox.html. Retrieved August 29, 2009.
- ^ "Dowling Family Genealogy". http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dowfam3&id=I53336.
- ^ "hollywood.com". Cox's parents are Richard and Courtney Cox. http://www.hollywood.com/celebrity/191575/Courteney_Cox_Arquette_Biography. Retrieved August 29, 2009.
- ^ "Mountain Brook one of 10 of the nation's wealthiest communities". Al.com. December 30, 2008. http://www.al.com/business/birminghamnews/news.ssf?/base/business/1230628569185680.xml&coll=2. Retrieved November 24, 2010.
- ^ "hollywood.com". Cox's stepfather is Hunter Copeland, uncle of Ian Copeland. http://www.hollywood.com/celebrity/191575/Courteney_Cox_Arquette_Biography. Retrieved August 29, 2009.
- ^ "movies.msn.com". Cox left college to pursue a career in modeling and acting. MSN. http://movies.msn.com/celebrities/celebrity-biography/courteney-cox-arquette.1/. Retrieved August 29, 2009.
- ^ "IMDB.com". Courteney Cox – Biography. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001073/bio. Retrieved March 2, 2007.
- ^ "Friends – Series 6 – Episodes 1–4: Jennifer Aniston, David Schwimmer, Matt Le Blanc, Lisa Kudrow, Matthew Perry, Courteney Cox, Gary Halvorson: Video". Amazon.co.uk. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/product-description/B00004I9PR. Retrieved November 24, 2010.
- ^ "Courteney Cox". Celeb Archive. http://nudecelebs4u.com/courteney-cox/.
- ^ "Friends: The Movie on the cards? The big screen remake of Friends is set to go ahead, according to reports.". The Daily Telegraph (London). July 2, 2008. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2236700/Friends-The-Movie-on-the-cards.html. Retrieved April 30, 2010.
- ^ "IMDB.com". "Dirt" (2007) – Full cast and crew. http://imdb.com/title/tt0496275/fullcredits. Retrieved March 2, 2007.
- ^ "Courteney Cox's Show 'Dirt' Canceled" "FoxNews.com" June 10, 2008 Retrieved June 10, 2008
- ^ "Exclusive: Courteney Cox Checks into Scrubs""EW.com" July 9, 2008 Retrieved July 9, 2008
- ^ Courteney Cox Bringing Sexy Back to Cougar Town" TV Guide. October 30, 2008. Retrieved on October 31, 2008;
- ^ "Retrieved on April 3, 2009". Comedycentric.com. March 2, 2009. http://www.comedycentric.com/2009/03/02/cougar-town-cast-filling-up/. Retrieved November 24, 2010.
- ^ "44-year-old Courteney Cox Arquette goes on the prowl while shooting the pilot for her potential ABC comedy, "Cougartown." ... – omg! photos on Yahoo!". Omg.yahoo.com. March 19, 2009. http://omg.yahoo.com/photos/courteney-cox-on-the-prowl-in-cougartown/2757#id=1. Retrieved November 24, 2010.
- ^ "starshub.com". Courtney dated her colleague and stepcousin Ian Copeland. http://www.starshub.com/courteney_cox.htm. Retrieved August 29, 2009.
- ^ USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/friends/contenttemplate5.htm.
- ^ Silverman, Stephen M. "Courteney Cox Reveals Postpartum Depression", People, July 21, 2005
- ^ "Moono.com". Jennifer Aniston is Coco Arquette's godmother. http://www.moono.com/news/news00752.html. Retrieved March 2, 2007.
- ^ "Cox and Arquette reveal separation – mirror.co.uk". Daily Mirror (UK). October 12, 2010. http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/latest/2010/10/12/cox-and-arquette-reveal-separation-115875-22627110/. Retrieved October 12, 2010.
- ^ http://x17online.com/celebrities/courtney_cox/courteney_cox_marriage_divorce_david_arquette_dating_cougar_town_031511.php
- ^ "Did You Know This About Courteney Cox?". The Ellen Degeneres Show. http://ellen.warnerbros.com/2010/03/courteney-cox-know-0303.php. Retrieved June 10, 2010.
- ^ http://wif.org/past-recipients
- Courteney Cox at the Internet Movie Database
- Courteney Cox at People.com
- Collection of interviews (1995–1999)
MTV Movie Awards host
1995 (with Jon Lovitz)
Janeane Garofalo and Ben Stiller
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Courteney Cox — bei den Proben zur Emmy Verleihung 1995 Courteney Bass Cox Arquette (* 15. Juni 1964 als Courteney Bass Cox in Birmingham, Alabama) ist eine US amerikanische Schauspielerin. Zu ihren größten Karriereerfolgen zählen die Fernsehserie Friends sowie… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Courteney Cox — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Courteney Cox Nombre real Courteney Bass Cox Nacimiento 15 de junio de 1964 (45 años) EE. UU … Wikipedia Español
Courteney Cox — Arquette (nacida Courteney Bass Cox el 15 de junio, 1964 ) es una actriz, modelo y productora de televisión estadounidense célebre por su participación en la serie de televisión Friends y las películas de la trilogía Scream. Courteney Cox nació… … Enciclopedia Universal
Courteney Cox — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Cox. Courteney Cox … Wikipédia en Français
Courteney Cox — … Википедия
Courteney Cox Arquette — Courteney Cox Pour les articles homonymes, voir Cox. Courteney Cox Arquette Courteney Cox en fé … Wikipédia en Français
Courteney Cox Arquette — Courteney Cox bei der New York Fashion Week 2009 Cox (1995) Courteney Bass Cox Arquette (* … Deutsch Wikipedia
Courteney Arquette — Courteney Cox Pour les articles homonymes, voir Cox. Courteney Cox Arquette Courteney Cox en fé … Wikipédia en Français
COX — bezeichnet: die Gemeinde Cox (Haute Garonne) im Haute Garonne von Frankreich einen Ort in Texas, siehe Cox (Texas) die Apfelsorte Cox Orange die Apfelsorte Holsteiner Cox einen Asteroiden, siehe Cox (Asteroid) die Cox Gleichung, sie beschreibt… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cox (surname) — Cox Family name The hills found in Carmarthenshire, Wales, where Cox may have been a topographic name for a man from the red hills. . Pronunciation … Wikipedia