- Demographics of Botswana
This article is about the demographic features of the population of Botswana, including population density, ethnicity, education level, health of the populace, economic status, religious affiliations and other aspects of the population.
Botswana, like many nations in southern Africa, suffers from a high AIDS infection rates, estimated in a 2002 UN report to be 38.8% for adults. Demographic data from the 2001 Botswana census are included for comparison with 2006 CIA estimates.
CIA World Factbook demographic statistics
The following demographic statistics are from the 2011 CIA World Factbook.
Selected demographic data from the 2001 Botswana census is included for comparison.
- 1,680,863 (2001)
- 2,065,398 (July 2011 est.)
- Note: estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality and death rates, lower population and growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected.
- 0-14 years: 38.3% (male 319,531/female 309,074)
- 15-64 years: 57.9% (male 460,692/female 488,577)
- 65 years and over: 3.8% (male 23,374/female 38,585) (2006 est.)
- 0-14 years: 34.8% (male 352,399/female 340,058)
- 15-64 years: 61.4% (male 613,714/female 608,003)
- 65 years and over: 3.9% (male 31,155/female 45,547) (2010 est.)
- Total: 21.7 years
- Male: 21.5 years
- Female: 21.9 years (2009 est.)
Population growth rate
- 1.656% (2011 est.)
- 22.31 births/1,000 population (2011 est.)
- 10.57 deaths/1,000 population (2011 est.)
Net migration rate
- 5 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2009 est.) 
- note: there is an increasing flow of Zimbabweans into Botswana and South Africa in search of better economic opportunities.
- Urban population: 60% of total population (2008)
- Rate of urbanization: 2.5% annual rate of change (2005-10 est.)
- At birth: 1.03 male(s)/female
- Under 15 years: 1.04 male(s)/female(s)
- 15-64 years: 1.01 male(s)/female(s)
- 65 years and over: 0.68 male(s)/female(S)
- Total population: 1 male(s)/female(S) (2009 est.)
Infant mortality rate
- Total: 12.59 deaths/1,000 live births
- Male: 13.43 deaths/1,000 live births
- Female: 11.73 deaths/1,000 live births (2009 est.)
Life expectancy at birth
- Total population: 60.93 years
- Male: 61.11 years
- Female: 60.75 years (2010 est.)
Total fertility rate
- 2.5 children born/woman (2011 est.)
- Adult prevalence rate: 23.9% (2007 est.)
- People living with HIV/AIDS: 300,000 (2007 est.)
- Deaths due to AIDS: 11,000 (2007 est.)
No national survey of HIV/AIDS prevalency has been done in Botswana.
Major infectious diseases
- Degree of risk: high
- Food or waterborne diseases: bacterial diarrhea, hepatitis A, and typhoid fever
- Vectorborne disease: malaria (2009)
- Noun: Motswana (singular), Batswana (plural)
- Adjective: Motswana (singular), Batswana (plural)
- Tswana 78.2%, Ikalanga 7.9%, Sekgalagadi 2.8%, English 2.1% (official), other 8.6%, unspecified 0.4% (2001 census)
- Definition: age 15 and over can read and write
- Total population: 81.2%
- Male: 80.4%
- Female: 81.8% (2007 est.)
- 8.7% of total GDP (2007)
- Botswana Demographics 2001 Central Statistics Office (Botswana), Census and Demographic Statistics for the year 2001.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Botswana — Republic of Botswana Lefatshe la Botswana … Wikipedia
Demographics of present-day nations and states — This is a list of Demographics by country articles, including both de jure and de facto independent states, inhabited dependent territories, as well as areas of special sovereignty. The entries are listed below. compactTOC2 NOTOC A… … Wikipedia
Demographics of South Africa — Population of South Africa, 1961–2008 Population: 49,991,300 (July 2010 est.) Growth rate … Wikipedia
Demographics of Comoros — Demographics of Comoros, Data of FAO, year 2005 ; Number of inhabitants in thousands. The Comorians inhabiting Grande Comore, Anjouan, and Mohéli (86% of the population) share African Arab origins. Islam (See Islam in Comoros) is the… … Wikipedia
Demographics of Libya — include population density, ethnicity, education level, health of the populace, economic status, religious affiliations and other aspects of the Libyan population. No complete population or vital statistics registration exists in Libya. The… … Wikipedia
Demographics of Chad — Demographics of Chad, Data of FAO, year 2005 ; Number of inhabitants in thousands. The people of Chad speak more than 100 different languages and divide themselves into many ethnic groups. However, language and ethnicity are not the same.… … Wikipedia
Demographics of Djibouti — Demographics of Djibouti Population: 882,844 (2010) Growth rate: 2.237% (2010) Birth rate: 25.27 births/1,000 population (2011 est.) Death rate … Wikipedia
Demographics of Mauritania — Demographics of Mauritania, Data of FAO, year 2005 ; Number of inhabitants in thousands. This article is about the demographic features of the population of Mauritania, including population density, ethnicity, education level, health of the… … Wikipedia
Demographics of Côte d'Ivoire — Demographics of Côte d Ivoire, Data of FAO, year 2005 ; Number of inhabitants in thousands … Wikipedia
Demographics of Africa — This article is about the contemporary demographics of Africa. For historical information, see African people. Map of Africa indicating Human Development Index (2004) … Wikipedia