- National Assembly of Kenya
This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
- Prime Minister
- Elections: 2002, 2007, 2012
- Human rights
- Foreign relations
The unicameral National Assembly of Kenya is the country's legislative body.
The current National Assembly has a total of 224 members. 210 members are directly elected in single member constituencies using the simple majority (or First-past-the-post) system. 12 members are appointed and two members (the Speaker and Attorney-general) are ex-officio.
The procedure of the House provide for the formation of four kinds of Committees; Committees of the Whole House; Standing Committees; Ad hoc Select Committees; and Departmental Committees;
Committees of the Whole House There are three types of Committees of the Whole House. Committee of the Whole House on Committee stage of a Bill
- On a bill being given a Second Reading, it stands committed to the Committee of the Whole House, unless the House resolves to commit it to an Ad hoc Select Committee.Committee of the Whole House on the Budget
- Following the laying of annual or supplementary estimates of government expenditure before the House, and the budget speech by the Minister for Finance, the Committees of Ways and Means; and of Supply deliberate on them in sequence. Both Committee are of the Whole House.
The Committee of Ways and Means Confines itself to deliberation on the processes suggested by the Minister for Finance to raise funds to foot the budget for ‘he particular Fiscal Year. These deliberations are supposed to last three days.
Committee of Supply Confines itself to deliberation on the distribution of funds to be raised in the Committee of Ways and Means to the various Ministries and Departments; this Committee does the distributions within the twenty allotted days before October 31, each Calendar year.
Standing Committees May also be known as Sessional Committees, and consist of a minimum of five and a maximum of twenty Members nominated by the House Business Committee and appointed by the House, on a motion moved by the Leader of Government Business. The business carried out by the current eight Standing Committees is either routine and/or in-house. The lifespan of the membership of these Committees coincides with that of a Session. The Committees falling under this category are:-
- House Business Committee:- prepares and manages the programme of the business of the House on a weekly basis.
- Estimates Committee:- was deleted on November 10 1 997.
- Public Accounts Committee:- examines reports by the Controller and Auditor-General on Central Government expenditure and fund accounts;
- Public Investments Committee:- examines reports by the Auditor-General (Corporations) on accounts of state corporations;
- Speaker’s Committee:- examines matters relating to the welfare of Members and staff of the National Assembly;
- Standing Orders Committee:- examines matters relating to and makes periodic reviews of the Standing Orders as necessary
- Liaison Committee:- examines and co-ordinates matters relating to operations of the Departmental Committees; and
- Powers and Privileges Committee:- is established under the National Assembly (Powers and Privileges) Act, (Cap 6, Laws of Kenya), and deals with issues regarding privileges of the House, Members and staff.
AD HOC Select Committees These are appointed by the House as and whenever the need arises to investigate, study and make recommendations on certain specific matters and issues for consideration by the House.
Most recent parliamentary election
Kenyan parliamentary election resultsSummary of the 27 December 2007 Parties Seats Orange Democratic Movement 99 Party of National Unity 43 Orange Democratic Movement–Kenya 16 Kenya African National Union 14 Safina 5 National Rainbow Coalition–Kenya 4 Forum for the Restoration of Democracy–People 3 National Rainbow Coalition 3 Chama Cha Uzalendo 2 Democratic Party 2 New Forum for the Restoration of Democracy–Kenya 2 Party of Independent Candidates of Kenya 2 Sisi Kwa Sisi 2 Forum for the Restoration of Democracy–Asili 1 Forum for the Restoration of Democracy–Kenya 1 Kenya African Democratic Development Union 1 Kenya African Democratic Union–Asili 1 Kenya National Democratic Alliance 1 Mazingira Green Party of Kenya 1 National Labour Party 1 People's Democratic Party 1 People's Party of Kenya 1 United Democratic Movement 1 Total 207 Source: ECK
- History of Kenya
- List of national legislatures
- Legislative branch
- National Assembly of Kenya elections, 2007
Algeria · Angola · Benin · Botswana · Burkina Faso · Burundi · Cameroon · Cape Verde · Central African Republic · Chad · Comoros · Democratic Republic of the Congo · Republic of the Congo · Côte d'Ivoire · Djibouti · Egypt · Equatorial Guinea · Eritrea · Ethiopia · Gabon · The Gambia · Ghana · Guinea · Guinea-Bissau · Kenya · Lesotho · Liberia · Libya · Madagascar · Malawi · Mali · Mauritania · Mauritius · Morocco · Mozambique · Namibia · Niger · Nigeria · Rwanda · São Tomé and Príncipe · Senegal · Seychelles · Sierra Leone · Somalia · Somaliland · South Africa · South Sudan · Sudan · Swaziland · Tanzania · Togo · Tunisia · Uganda · Western Sahara · Zambia · Zimbabwe
other territoriesItalics indicate an unrecognised or partially recognised state.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Speaker of the National Assembly of Kenya — The Speaker is the presiding officer of the Kenyan Parliament (also known as the National Assembly of Kenya).QualificationsThe speaker is elected by the assembly from among persons or are qualified to be members of the assembly. The Speaker s… … Wikipedia
National Assembly — Part of the Politics series Politics List of political topics Politics by country … Wikipedia
National Assembly of Nigeria — Type Type Bicameral Houses Senate House of Representatives Leadership … Wikipedia
National Assembly of Djibouti — 6th National Assembly of Djibouti Type Type Unicameral Leadership Speaker … Wikipedia
National Assembly of Niger — Niger This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Niger Constitution President … Wikipedia
National Assembly of Cape Verde — Cape Verde This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Cape Verde President Jorge Carlos Fonseca … Wikipedia
National Assembly of São Tomé and Príncipe — São Tomé and Príncipe This article is part of the series: Politics and government of São Tomé and Príncipe President … Wikipedia
National Assembly of Zambia — Zambia This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Zambia President Michael Sata … Wikipedia
National Assembly of the Gambia — The Gambia This article is part of the series: Politics and government of The Gambia Constitution President … Wikipedia
National Assembly of Angola — Angola This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Angola Constitution President (List) … Wikipedia