- Robert Ashley
Robert Ashley is a contemporary American
composerborn March 28, 1930in Ann Arbor, Michigan, best known for his operas and other theatrical works, many of which incorporate electronics and extended techniques. Along with Gordon Mumma, Ashley was also a major pioneer of audio synthesis.
Ashley studied at the University of Michigan with
Ross Lee Finney, at the Manhattan School of Music, and was later a musician in the US Army. After moving back to Michigan, Ashley worked at the University of Michigan's Speech Research Laboratories. From 1961 to 1969, he organised the ONCE Festival in Ann Arbor with Roger Reynolds, Gordon Mumma, and other local composers and artists. He was a co-founder of the ONCE Group, as well as a member of the Sonic Arts Union, which also included David Behrman, Alvin Lucier, and Gordon Mumma. In 1969 he became director of the San Francisco Tape Music Center. In the 1970s he directed the Mills College Center for Contemporary Music. His notable students include Maggi Payne.
The majority of Ashley's recordings have been released by
Lovely Music[http://www.lovely.com/] , which was founded by Performing Artservices [http://www.artservices.org/] , the not-for-profitmanagement organization which represents Ashley and other artists. Ashley's opera "Perfect Lives" was featured in Peter Greenaway's documentary "4 American Composers".
*"In Memoriam... Kit Carson" (1963)
*"That Morning Thing" (1967)
*"Music with Roots in the Aether" (television opera) (1976)
*"Perfect Lives" (an opera for television) (1978-80)
*"Atalanta (Acts of God)" (1982-91)
*"Now Eleanor's Idea" tetralogy:
**"Improvement (Don Leaves Linda)" (1985)
**"Now Eleanor's Idea" (1993)
**"Foreign Experiences" (1994)
*"Your Money My Life Goodbye" (1998)
*"Celestial excursions" (2003)
The operas of "Perfect Lives", "Atalanta", and "Now Eleanor's Idea" comprise a massive trilogy of sorts that maintains a pulse of 72 beats per minute throughout. In 1976, his "Music with Roots in the Aether" was released, a video collection of interviews with seven American contemporary composers (
David Behrman, Philip Glass, Alvin Lucier, Gordon Mumma, Pauline Oliveros, Terry Rileyand Robert Ashley)
Ashley has written many other pieces for combinations of instruments, voices, and electronics. A complete list can be found at [http://www.robertashley.org/ his official website] .
*1976 - "Music With Roots in the Aether: Opera for Television". Tape 7: Robert Ashley. Produced and directed by Robert Ashley. New York, New York: Lovely Music.
*1983 - "Perfect Lives (an opera for television)". Released on DVD by Lovely Music, 2005.
* [http://www.robertashley.org Robert Ashley homepage]
* [http://www.ubu.com/film/ashley.html UBUWEB: Music with Roots in the Aether]
* [http://www.lovely.com/bios/ashley.html Lovely Music Artist: Robert Ashley]
* [http://www.furious.com/perfect/robertashley.html Robert Ashley Interview with Theresa Stern] Nov. 1997
* [http://www3.uakron.edu/ssma/composers/Ashley.shtml The University of Akron Bierce Library Composer Profile: Robert Ashley]
* [http://research.umbc.edu/~tmoore/interview_frame.html?/~tmoore/ashley.html Robert Ashley in conversation with Thomas Moore]
* [http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=1194 NewMusicBox: A Conversation with Robert Ashley] by Frank J. Oteri, March 13, 2001
* [http://www.radio-canada.ca/radio/navire/rencontres_ashley.html Robert Ashley in conversation with]
André Éric Létourneau- site of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation(In French)]
* [http://musicmavericks.publicradio.org/features/rafiles/interviews/archive_ashley.ram Interview with Robert Ashley (4 December 1979)]
* [http://www.ubu.com/sound/ashley.html UbuWeb: Robert Ashley] featuring "Interiors with Flash", and "In Sara Mencken, Christ and Beethoveen there were men and women" (1972)
* [http://www.newmusicjukebox.org/composers/c_composition.asp?ComposerID=18446&ActorID=38881&CompositionID=70118 NewMusicJukeBox.org: Robert Ashley's When Famous Last Words Fail You Excerpt]
* [http://artofthestates.org/cgi-bin/composer.pl?comp=153 Art of the States: Robert Ashley] "Untitled Mixes" (1965)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Robert Ashley — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Ashley. Robert Ashley est un compositeur américain de musique contemporaine. Il est né le 28 mars 1930 à Ann Arbor, dans l État du Michigan. Dès ses débuts, il s est orienté vers la création interdisciplinaire et … Wikipédia en Français
Ashley — may refer to: PlacesUK*Ashley, Cheshire *Ashley, Gloucestershire *Ashley, Hampshire *Ashley, Kent *Ashley, Northamptonshire *Ashley, StaffordshireUS*Ashley, Illinois *Ashley, Indiana *Ashley, Michigan *Ashley, North Dakota *Ashley, Ohio *Ashley,… … Wikipedia
Robert Steen — Robert Ashley Steen (born August 12, 1933 in Winnipeg, Manitoba; died May 10, 1979) was a politician in Manitoba, Canada. He was a Progressive Conservative member of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba from 1966 to 1969, and later served as… … Wikipedia
Ashley — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Ashley peut désigner : Un prénom féminin et masculin anglais courant. Sommaire 1 Pseudonyme 2 … Wikipédia en Français
Ashley Vines — Infobox afl player NEW playername = Ashley Vines fullname = Robert Ashley Vines image capt = birthdate = birth date|1891|1|16|df=y birthplace = originalteam = University Metro / Scotch College heightweight = position = dead = deathdate =… … Wikipedia
Ashley Tisdale — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Ashley Tisdale Ashley Tisdale en Melbourne, Australia … Wikipedia Español
Ashley Morgan — Personnage de fiction apparaissant dans Les Arnaqueurs VIP Genre Masculin Activité(s) … Wikipédia en Français
Ashley Judd — Born Ashley Tyler Ciminella April 19, 1968 (1968 04 19) (age 43) Granada Hills, California, U.S. Alma mater Paul G Blazer High School … Wikipedia
Robert A. W. Lowndes — Robert Augustine Ward Doc Lowndes (September 4, 1916 – July 14, 1998) was an American science fiction author, editor and fan. He was known best as the editor of Future Science Fiction, Science Fiction, and Science Fiction Quarterly, among many… … Wikipedia
Robert Hooke — Robert Hooke: Kurator für Experimente an der Royal Society, Geometrieprofessor des Gresham College und Landvermesser der Stadt London; Uhrenbauer, Astronom, Mikroskopierer, Geologe, Physiologe, Architekt, Naturphilosoph und Englands Leonardo … Deutsch Wikipedia